Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 263

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 409784 times)

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)
« Reply #3360 on: June 18, 2023, 03:44:45 pm »

So much happened in such a short adventure.
Poor raven... But Desli is saved! Undead cattle are one of the most dangerous things in this game, just look at what happened to Stockadeoutrage.

For administrative purposes, is that fortress Futureseals, and did I understand correctly you started in another fortress before visiting the second one? 

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3361 on: June 18, 2023, 04:24:16 pm »

started in championvault, visited frostwall, crashed at warshrieks, died at futureseals

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3362 on: June 18, 2023, 05:05:01 pm »

I used the caravans at the trade depot. [...] You will also be wasting hours of your life staring at a trade screen pressing macro buttons over and over and trying to negotiate the closest to 1:1 trade ratio you possibly can. 7:5 in favor of the trader usually works, but if you have a really good broker you can get much closer.
Armok preserve! I'd rather waste hours of my life dropping coins in adventure mode.

On a somewhat related note, does anyone know if arrows/bolts are lost if lodged in a creature? (i.e. wounded creature leaves off the map and the bolt/arrow despawns, or if just by being lodged in a wound, an arrow/bolt despawns in fortress mode).
Ah. I very much appreciate the move down, I've only just now had time to sit down and read the ongoings of Orid Xem. . . Of which there are many, haha. All in all I'm amazed as ever, think I'll try and focus on a smaller scale for my next adventure, though I'm not yet sure. At the very least the Gloryages must continue!
As long as Irka survives, it should be fine. And even if the bodies of the Gloryages disappear into THE WORM, I have a method for the soul-line (though not the DNA) to survive, at least as far as Legends Mode/Viewer are concerned. If worse comes to worse I'll help out, though it'd mean helping the competition (I hope some incarnation of Lurker has a chance at the throne someday).
Well, that was quick. I'll start on Friday or Saturday. I'm not really sure what I'm going to do.

If you’re looking for inspiration you could try an adventure as a human or animal person from one of the less-explored human civilisations. We’ve had plenty of people from Omon Obin, Mong Uthros and even the High Confederacies but not much from the others. Some of those civs still have significant ghoul problems!
Or elves. The elves will never stop being endangered in Orid Xem. Or kobolds, or animal people.
The Creamy Confederacy is an interesting case study, the bulwark against the undead horde, it was possibly as powerful as Mong Uthros before being couped by goblins and starting wars with everyone.
Here is the first part of my adventure from a few weeks ago. Under the spoiler there is a short recap of Bralbaard’s history that may be needed for context.
[spoiler]

My students insist that I should be flattered that the creator of the work saw me as capable of taking down a demon, but to me this work is a travesty, a disgrace.   
In fact just thinking about how wrong the creator of this work has gotten things has convinced me to pick up my pen and paper again.
I just finished reading this, my characters feel the same way when they see statues of themselves being happy to become Lord of Ñodduli and despondent to be "fired", though it happened the other way around. I'll have a post these days on my latest adventures, I actually got some print screens and some interesting events from my last turn.
That's close, I guess. The A is not only emphasized, but also long.
The name comes from a dwarven NPC from a d&d game I was the DM for at the time. The game was in Dutch, so the name is as well. ' Baard' is Dutch for beard, 'Bral' translates as ' talk bullshit while drunk'
That more or less describes the Npc as well. He was tavern keeper of a boat that had been refurbished into a tavern. Like most dwarves, Bralbaard and the tavern were always firmly anchored to land, but then the player characters came by and it all got out of hand real quick. They ended up sailing the tavern around the world, causing trouble, while Bralbaard was in the hold drinking because he was mortally afraid of the sea.
It's great to know the character's backstory, thanks for sharing.
-Entomologist: Try to catch as many different bugs as possible for a museum submission.
That would be interesting for megabeast body parts (forgotten beasts, demons, angels, titans etc. anything that fits in the category of your choosing). Talk about having a giant insectarium.
-The hunter: Collect the skulls of mythical creatures e.g unicorns, foul blendics, dark gnomes. (don't think anyone has encounter gnomes yet)
I tried pulling the Quadfector title last turn, but I forgot that I didn't have a dwarf death on my hands. Also the animal men I killed don't appear on my kill list, I suspect there was a crash that otherwise didn't bother my progress that lost the animal men deaths. I at least do have a kobold kill now.

I do enjoy reading all the ideas, maybe I'll do something new someday.

I'd add a simple idea for anyone interested, one of my chars was just tasked by the Overseer to loot the surrounding area, find anything valuable, bring back anything but the best to the fortress, then take a submission to the Museum. It's maybe rather simplistic, but it gets the turn done.
Continuing on with Avolition's idea of hunting rare creatures, I think there was also an earlier idea to find out if bogeymen exist in this world because they have not been seen yet. This could be done by visiting the evil regions, and spending the night while travelling alone.
I'm not sure if it's been mentioned, but there definitely are bogeyman pouches around the world, so there definitely are bogeyman in Orid Xem. At the very least in the abstract/naming sense.
Alright, then I have a rather silly idea. I'll start posting soon. You see, I was looking through the unretire list, and I found something rather unusual...

Good luck, Flame! I do wonder how it's going to work, I'm curious about animal mechanics. I once possessed a troll and a necro experiment to get to Iroram and it was a pain, troll couldn't open doors and the experiment was just a blob (I might be mistaken). The trek was horrendous all in all.

And now I read the post... well that was great for the raven. And for Desli, who I suppose is now a mortal again (wait, won't she die very shortly of old age as animal people's lives are even shorter than humans'? Or did Pik & Desli relearn necromancy?)

So much happened in such a short adventure.
Poor raven... But Desli is saved! Undead cattle are one of the most dangerous things in this game, just look at what happened to Stockadeoutrage.
I can attest to that. My epic fight with the undead skeleton helped by Jas' wife will forever be in my memories.
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3363 on: June 18, 2023, 05:12:35 pm »

Thanks for all the informaton and analysis Lurker Z, here is the second part of my journey:

--------

(Link to first post )

So what about the actual journey?

In 995 I had just come to better understand my new situation. At the time I was nearly 360 years old, but it was also 45 years since Bor had resurrected me using the secrets of life.  I had found out that even though my new body looked old, it had not aged further in those 45 years. I was immortal, like the elves. Bor had predicted my immortality but I had never truly wanted to believe him. When I was reawakened by the ritual in the Charcoal pit I had hoped to become truly mortal, not just to breathe the air and feel alive again but also to know I would be normal and accepted.  An immortal dwarf was definitely not natural.

Looking back, I see that the realization in 995 that I was immortal awakened a recklessness in me.  A desire to feel mortal by risking my life, by pushing it all too far. Because that is how it all started out.

My new body did not have the reflexes and skills that my old form had. I was clumsy and slow, as inexperienced as a peasant kid, just one inhabited by a centuries old soul that was perhabs a bit overconfident about the whole situation. I set out on an adventure my mind was ready for, but my body was not.

This quickly became clear when I was attacked by wolves. These foes would have meant nothing to me in the past, but now they were an existential threat.
The beasts were fast, I could barely evade their bites, and my attacks would always come just that bit too late. But at least I knew that the trick to fighting wolves is to not get surrounded. When I finally crushed the last wolven skull I was bleeding and felt exhausted. In the old days I would have backed off and gone home. But it felt like this fight had awakened me. I felt alive, and I continued my journey.

I set out to one of the most ancient places in the world, the vault of Cradledmartyrs. The place was as I knew it would be, filled with the butchered corpses of the angels that once guarded it. I found what I was looking for: a long whip made of blistered metal, it should serve me well on my future adventures. Then my eyes fell on the corpse of a being of Midor: after all these centuries it’s butchered corpse was still glowing brightly in the darkness of the abandoned vault. I reached out and picked up a part, only to retract my hand in pain. It burned with the intensity of Charcoal brute fire! Blood gushed from the wound at a clearly unsustainable rate.

Somehow with my other hand I managed to wrap a piece of clothing around the wound and arm, and managed to constrict the flow of blood. Somehow, I was not actually on fire.
I had nearly died again, but still I continued my adventure.

Next, I travelled to the fortress of Stasismanors, I knew the entrance would be trapped, and kept my eyes open, but only realised too late that my senses were dull compared to those of my former self. I was nearly slashed in half by a trap and only barely made it inside.

This is where I found the travesty of a statue that depicted my old self striking down a demon. It was ridiculous. It seems the dwarves of this place had mainly occupied themselves with writing down fake news, and misinterpretations of history. Besides the image of me striking down a demon, there was a commisioned statue of Maloy looking very offended, and endless statues of elves, dwarves and other creatures being shot, flayed or tortured.

I felt an urge to burn the place down but decided against it. Raki the mad monkey king had descended into madness by giving in to his pyromantic urges centuries ago and it was not something that should be repeated. I decided to just leave.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2023, 05:27:03 pm by Bralbaard »

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3364 on: June 18, 2023, 07:32:53 pm »

I'll be looking to begin my turn on Monday, Tuesday at the latest. As I mentioned before it's likely I'll have a more subdued turn due to time constraints, but who knows? I do desperately need to get my prior stories out though. . .

@Lurker, you know. . . He could always marry into the line. ;) I wouldn't mind a huge branching royal family from various adventurers, and for the Realm to once again fall into the languish of political strife.

On that note, please anyone feel free to play characters of the Gloryage family if desired in the future, more than welcome.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2023, 07:36:01 pm by Unraveller »
I've lost control of my life.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3365 on: June 18, 2023, 08:03:55 pm »

Interesting part II, I love the stories of Bralbaard the Reborn.

I'll be looking to begin my turn on Monday, Tuesday at the latest. As I mentioned before it's likely I'll have a more subdued turn due to time constraints, but who knows? I do desperately need to get my prior stories out though. . .

@Lurker, you know. . . He could always marry into the line. ;) I wouldn't mind a huge branching royal family from various adventurers, and for the Realm to once again fall into the languish of political strife.

On that note, please anyone feel free to play characters of the Gloryage family if desired in the future, more than welcome.
I actually had plans to Lurker's marriage in the last turn, but I spent most of it carting items around, exploring and experimenting with advfort. I'll consider if I see someone of the Gloryage line interesting, no promises though. Ah, the issue was that it didn't let me retire Lurker in Entrancegrape for some reason, maybe because he was undead, maybe it was a bug. I'll see next time and maybe I'll ask for help if I still can't retire him there. It would probably work to retire him in a dwarf fortress, but I don't want him to become part of a dwarf civilization.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3366 on: June 18, 2023, 08:43:18 pm »

It might have changed due to you settling a fort there, but in the past I was unable to settle in Entrancegrapes either, yet another reason I built Silverthrone to be a new capital for Omon Obin.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3367 on: June 18, 2023, 11:19:29 pm »

Yes, I'll test when I have time if it let me retire a living char in Entrancegrape. If not, I'll have to make a fort over a part of Señamatem myself. I had considered doing that in my previous turn, but between the time spent in adventure mode and reclaiming Shadmalzuglar, I didn't feel I had the time to build anything interesting, so I left it for a future turn. It's a shame it doesn't work on Entrancegrape, it would have been a great book end, his story basically started in the time it was the capital and stealing/saving that amulet from what he perceived as the vampire Gopet worshiping cult, it would have been great for him to settle there after overseeing its reconstruction and raise a family (necromancer pun not intended).

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3368 on: June 19, 2023, 04:18:17 pm »

Funny thing on Stasismanors I was originally intending for it to be a prophecy/easter-egg fort to display my future plans for my turns.

I haven't touched it since my first turn and I originally planned to create a battle between bral an Pis(even though I didn't have the details figured out)

then I realized I didn't care about the fort at all other than planting easter eggs and more than likely hardly anyone would see it so I just didn't unretire it again lol. I hate having a pointless player fort in the world taking up space, but I can't think of anything I would do with it. Anyone is free to use it by the way.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3369 on: June 20, 2023, 12:05:32 am »

So Desli nearly died again. She must be some sort of masochist at this rate. :P

I'm not surprised though, that place is lousy with undead now.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3370 on: June 20, 2023, 06:00:22 am »

I think Miara's vicious personality comes out when she is shooting. I can't choose what part I hit when I fire the game does, but whenever her life was genuinely in danger the arrows always went straight to the enemy's head, but if she wasn't it would always lodge in non-vital areas. I think that was more of her than RNG

TL;DR
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Entry Three - Miaralei
Lorsith reclined at the royal tree, her new home. As the new princess of the Squeezing Fords she had been required to leave her home and to occupy the old capital forest. Now rife with trenches from goblin occupation.
The queen was a sight to look at for her. For a civilization that espoused oneness with nature through a hunter-gatherer lifestyle it should be impossible for one to become morbidly obese, but the queen was such. The goblins had showered her with wealth for service and she used it on food.
Even with the goblins being purged and the hero in question threatening her to right herself this only made her more of a mess now. She was prone to panic attacks and assuaged anxiety with more stress eating. Perhaps with time she would grow...

An arrow struck Lorsith's wing tearing it! She swiveled and looked all around trying to determine from where it came. Another arrow struck her in the leg sending her falling to her belly on the branch she was standing on. She looked at the arrow in her leg, pulled it out and tried to think of what to do.
Another arrow to the chest left her coughing and sputtering. If she jumped the tree the fall might kill her. The attacker might have more waiting below for her. If she stayed here she would die so what should she do?
Another arrow in her other leg this one piercing bone.

She made to crawl for the other side of the tree trunk seeking cover as more arrows rained down all over her body one after another. Another hits her chest and she is now wheezing for breath. She has almost made it to the trunk of the great tree. Almost to cover. Another arrow hit's her chest finishing the destruction of her lungs. Lorsith can crawl no further as she suffocates on her own blood. The queen was panicking hopping up and down calling for anyone to help as panic set in again.

In the distance stood Miaralei the huntress. Her rage prevented her from smiling from the enjoyment she felt, but her rage was somewhat satisfied for the moment, but still there was more work to do. She set out for another settlement.

Despite her exile she had chosen to return. Her people had fallen away and she would no longer stand for it. Arthur, her husband, thought she was likely hunting goblins like he was and so said nothing about these expeditions, but the truth was far greater.
Goblins had only been a piece of a far larger threat to their people: The true enemy was the Hand of Planesgift.

These abominations had joined her people centuries ago as refugees of a necromancer, and relied on the kindness of the elves, but since then, had only led us astray. Half of the forest retreats were now occupied solely by them. They did not live the traditional way, but believed in a "moderate" approach, using wood from the trees as needed. Even burning it! They did not follow Cacame, but their own human gods, and encouraged the elves to abandon Cacame in droves. The elves had become idle, as our ways, government, and our very spirit was taken from us, but no more! It was time for the huntress to hunt!

She went from forest to forest hunting the monsters, some she even recognized from centuries ago. Some would do as the princess did and helplessly wait in the tree unsure of what to do and others would fling themselves down and charge the archer only to die at her feet.
She would go until she ran out of arrows. Her son had crafted hundreds of silver and iron ones and she took them all for this extended hunt.

Finally, she reached her last forest judging by her stock of arrows. She had done her best to leave no witnesses, but her paranoia left her feeling watched as if someone had been watching and reporting. There was no way these creatures had so much power though, right?
She fired an arrow at one "civilian" in a tree and it hit his wing, but within moments he was down the tree and on the ground. Miara knocked another arrow and fired, but missed! The man ducked it and flew at her striking at her again and again and again and again!
As he threw punches and thrusts with his knife he smiled "Greetings, butcher. My name is Ata Stylesacted"
Miara was at a severe disadvantage now and seeing she had no hope she dropped her bow and reached into her bag pulling out a silver sword. She had absolutely no skill with it.

The two circled and danced, her agility was beyond the bounds of elven and she dodged every blow even if some were close. The monster had no issue catching her blade and parrying it with his small knife. He tried to speak to her again "Why have you been killing my people?"

"I killed your princess and I'm gonna kill you too!" She recalled advice from Arthur and Maloy on melee combat "Hitting the enemy is secondary to not getting hit yourself. You're made of squishy vulnerable meat so you need to protect it with armor or speed" Good advice, but she feared she would tire at this rate. The monster could throw three attacks for every one of hers.
"We have been friends and neighbors of your people for centuries!"
Miara screamed at him and threw a punch. The creature did not see it coming as a fist rang against his head making him take a step back. She gave into her rage. Twisting, spinning and spiraling all around the man his attacks could not connect. She would strike out with her sword and as he would catch it with his knife she would punch him again or kick him in his chest. He swung again and she punched him in the gut making him cough and vomit onto the ground. She kicking him in the head now.
Again and again the beating went on as the man fought valiantly to keep up with the elf huntress...or berserker at this point? She continued to beat him with her bare hands and feet until finally he had slowed too much. His knife didn't catch her sword this time and it plunged down straight into his skull tearing his brain.
"So I was right about all of you!" She spat at the corpse "I left no witnesses! How could you have known what I was doing if you weren't all secretly controlling and watching things!"
She exhausted most of her arrows at this forest on other residents returning it to it's state of wild forest before heading back to Razorbridge to restock.

Days passed and she had almost reached home approaching the peninsula that the bridge rested on when suddenly...

(from reading the description of the Hands they remind me of these guys from dark souls)

Ambush! Two wicked Hands of Planesgifts stood waiting for her barring her path south. Both nude arms crossed glaring at her. These were wild ones who had never accepted civilization as their kin did and lived as beasts in the woods hunting others. Or did they? Why would they care about Miara? What if they were truly just assassins attacking targets for their vicious syndicate? What if all their previous victims were people like her who knew the truth of this wicked people?
She fired an arrow at one. She caught her arrow on her wing, but within a moment was on Miara and threw a punch that left her lips clover asunder and gushing blood. Her head was reeling as she tried to dodge another and dropped her bow. These creatures were way faster and stronger than their kin that had infiltrated the forests...
The two picked up an increasingly familiar dance as Miara relied more on her abilities as a berserker than swordswoman, but the creature was fast! It was beating her just as much. She feared her eyes would bruise over if the fight lasted too long as the two moved in a flash through this field. The male hand stood watching the fight take place his arms crossed and judging. Was this some sort of duel?
The creature struck her leg and she could feel it desperately wanting to give way to the pressure of the rest of Miara's body; If Miara fell to the ground she would lose her speed and likely die as it was her only advantage. She spun and sent her other leg into the creature's chest leaving it hacking and coughing and followed it with her sword straight to the chest and through the heart.
The shock registering on her prey's face was sweet to Miara as the monster continued to swing and attack desperately seeking vengeance for her inevitable death, but she bled out and fell to the ground.
The male seemed angry, but respectful. He made no move to attack and as she stared at him he motioned his head for her to reach for her weapon. It was to be a proper duel then.

She picked up her bow and looked at him and he grinned as he readied to charge. An arrow pierced his skull dashing his dreams as well as brain matter. Miara limped back to her children's home.

She found Razorbridge changed. An elven enclave on the northern end of the bridge: Protesters to the war against the Walled Dye that their home civilization waged.
If only they knew it was the Hands of Planesgifts that had manipulated the elves into starting that war, but they couldn't understand and likely wouldn't want to understand a woman in her appearance. she was covered in many bruises and lacerations.

She also found many cyclopean women had taken up residence. They made up half of the population now. As she crossed the bridge one of the women who was reclining at the bridge entrance gave her a wink. Miara felt an uncomfortable feeling at the flirtation "I have a husband" and this just made the Warrior of Udir grin and wave her off. "Social skills clearly aren't my thing" Miara thought
The bridge now had a proper armory and smithy. She wandered into the armory and saw the statue. Maloy the wolf lord laughing triumphatly while Midor the goddess weeps and withers away. on the Plaque at the base it reads "Please spit on Midor" Miara burst out laughing at her old friend's petty antics. She spit on Midor as instructed and continued past.

This new stockpile of arrows was different. The dark metal seemed blistered as if poorly crafted, but as she touched it she felt power emanating from the arrows. Arandil's voice interrupted her investigation "Hello, mother. How do you like my work?"
She turned to him and wrapped her arms around his neck "Son! I'd say your craft has suffered in the years of my absence, but also something seems different about these"
He chuckled "These are divine arrows from Midor's realm, stolen by uncle for his 'revenge'. They contain an iota of the power of a goddess of death and flame"
"Then these will be perfect for my hunt"
Arandil looked concerned "Mother, Lythienne ran off"
Miara was unconcerned as she fondled the arrows appreciating them now "She takes after me. She will be fine"
"Aleratha has taken up at the tavern as a performer"
"She's young and will be fine" Miara paused for a moment after saying that "Actually, you and her need to keep away from those cyclops women"
Arandil sighed "I'm not my sister's keeper, but I am much too busy to entertain such dalliances. With Uncle's gift I'll soon be the greatest smith in the north"
Miara hugged him again "I'm proud of you! Although I don't like you using trees for fuel, can't they find some coal or something in the ground?"
Arandil was still serious "Mother, Father is gone. He left to fight the goblin horde. The whole horde with only a few people. He needs help"
She paused knowing how serious that was "I...I can't."
"Why not?"
"Look, dear. I...if I succeed at my mission your father and everyone else will be safe too"
"Not if he dies in the next couple of weeks"
Miara's voice lowered to a whisper as she packed all the arrows into her bags and quivers, several hundred, "He won't die."
"We need you here, mother!"
"I'll be back in a few years hopefully. Goodbye I love you"
Arandil looked frustrated and despondent as Miara quietly left and headed back north.

Her hunt travel was twice interrupted by more wild Hands. One appeared in a tree as she camped. She shot it down and saw the power of her arrows. Wherever they struck that part of the body would explode with power.
The next one was staring at her from across a river trying to watch her stealthily: She shot it in non-vital areas stretching the kill out before it expired.

Her hunt in the forests was far more interesting. These hands were all hunters and archers shooting arrows and bolts at her from atop the trees as she shot back. She would dodge two or three projectiles at a time as she fired her bow. This run and shoot was exhilarating for her as she had only a second to register where the bolt would come before she spun around it and fired again. The hunters could not keep up with her agility and with time each one fell from exploding arrows destroying them.
She cleared several more settlements before returning where her journey began: Scorchroots.

The new princess seemed defiant. Staying in the exact same tree as her predecessor this Hand was clearly on edge. She knew that her kind were being hunted for their crimes and that the huntress would eventually return here.
Perhaps it was an ambush? Perhaps she just wanted to boldly make a statement against Miara?

Miara readied her arrows and loosed again and again. She refused to make it fast. The arrows lodged one after another in the hand's body as she tried to escape, but her legs had been shot already. The queen panicked again at this point a visible mess of fear even when nothing was happening. Finally, Miara killed the princess. An arrow exploded her head.

She approached the queen for the first time "I am Miaralei Shakenfurs the Tired Aquamarine of Mirrors and you will free our people from the influence of the Hands of Planesgift or my next set of arrows will be for you!" The queen screamed in terror and Miara merely bowed before melding back into the tree line.
Instead of hunting for more hands Miara hung around the forest for two weeks waiting to see what would happen and as fate would have it the queen's cowardice did overtake her. The new princess was an elf: Vienna Blossomclans
Miara's war was far from over, but they had successfully purged the corruption from the elven government.

She had to admit she enjoyed the hunt, and maybe when it was over she would hunt other enemies too?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 05:56:27 pm by Maloy »

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3371 on: June 20, 2023, 06:53:31 am »

Poor Lorsith, killed by a xenophobic elf.

The goblins are the true evil, and Tirin freed the elves from their influence. Did you find Tirin and Adela’s daughter? I think she became an abbot of her mothers religion.

Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3372 on: June 20, 2023, 02:27:44 pm »

I see someone is continuing Dreamypuzzled's genocide of the hands of planegifts from centuries ago. Also, Maloy, I think your writing would flow better if you used more punctuation. Some of those long sentences could use a comma or two.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3373 on: June 20, 2023, 03:29:42 pm »

The goblins are the true evil. . .

Goblins the true evil you think? I daresay I've seen little of ought from the goblins of Orid Xem. They seem well content to lurk in their pits and towers. There are many evils in this land yes. . . But they are far more insidious than greenskinned savages!

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3374 on: June 20, 2023, 03:52:12 pm »

(from reading the description of the Hands they remind me of these guys from dark souls)

Interesting interpretation of the species, I've added it to the wiki.
"We need you here, mother!"
"I'll be back in a few years hopefully. Goodbye I love you"
Nice casual observation about elven lifespan (though at this point this could be attributed to some of our immortal adventurers as well) and how for them years might be in some way equivalent on how mortals see a few hours of their lives passing. Of course, there's a much higher chance for elves in their "few years" to not find their kin alive when they return, in contrast with mortals just leaving for a few hours.
Poor Lorsith, killed by a xenophobic elf.

The goblins are the true evil, and Tirin freed the elves from their influence. Did you find Tirin and Adela’s daughter? I think she became an abbot of her mothers religion.
I think we mostly feel sorry for them because of Lonelythrall, who is appropriately named as Thrall from Warcraft was one of the few decent orcs. We don't know the Hands' true relationship with the rest of the world, we know they were used in necromancers' armies and we know they integrated into elven society. We also know that they (inadvertently) almost destroyed Orid Xem through magical overbreeding.
Goblins the true evil you think? I daresay I've seen little of ought from the goblins of Orid Xem. They seem well content to lurk in their pits and towers. There are many evils in this land yes. . . But they are far more insidious than greenskinned savages!
From a mechanical POV, they really are. I've had a goblin in a fortress once (not from Orid Xem), a goblin that I both pitied and respected for his history: he lost all his family, over 5 children and his wife to different foes, and killed a forgotten beast. In my fort though, he was always irascible, would be on the verge of tantrums, couldn't mechanically open doors for some reason and had several other issues.

In Orid Xem, Malladang has already soured any decency of a good name goblins could have had with literally 7 centuries of massacres where they killed tens thousands of sapients. But even in their pits, they kill each other and those they abduct, they also teach their ways. A lot of the goblins whose history I look into have at least a murder (actually described as murder, not war casualties or such) of a fellow or of an abducted creature (dwarf, human etc.). When a goblin took over the Creamy Confederacy, they started wars with almost everyone else. When you encounter a goblin in adventure mode, there's about 50-50 chance that they'll attack you on sight, which I have not experienced with humans, dwarves or elves. I've had more than one occurrence of going into a town only to find a goblin beating up a human for no apparent reason. I think they're designed to be this. Sure, there are worse creatures in history, but the only ones I can think about are the NPC necromancers.
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 263