Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 263

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 409570 times)

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)
« Reply #3495 on: August 10, 2023, 03:36:42 pm »

oh dear Armok
Well, that's certainly... ominous. Looking forward to whatever next turn may bring; and I've got to admit that I love the tone of your preliminary writeup! (Time to start planning the heist of my character's life.)

Spoiler: And just for certainty (click to show/hide)

Oh, and Bralbaard - could you please stick me back on the turn list, if you haven't done so already?
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3496 on: August 10, 2023, 05:13:48 pm »

Time to invest in security for the museum, I see.

I've updated the turn list.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3497 on: August 11, 2023, 11:06:44 am »

Finishing up stuff, but I wanted to share some recent things I've noticed:

1.Warriors of Udir are talented in all forms of combat from birth, but they can degrade
2.The tails on the warriors are incredibly sharp piercing weapons. Nude warriors easily killed armored enemies by jabbing the tail straight into their brains
3.The ones I exiled my last turn have ended up at different settlements now in different parts of the world. I exiled even more to encourage the spread
4.Maloy the Wolf Lord has a ridiculously huge military. Like the settlements I own always have several asterisks running around and about and they are all patrols
5.A couple of species that are normally only encountered at night, such as Gremlins, got incorporated into my domain, and I've noticed that they tend to prefer to patrol at night while my humans and dwarves do so in the day time. If that observation is correct it's incredibly interesting. I got a night shift crew! My new mystery residents are also nocturnal normally
(Nocturnal being that you normally can only encounter ones in the wild at night times)
This is all adventure mode btw I don't access Makbor or the surrounding villages in fortress mode
« Last Edit: August 11, 2023, 11:16:28 am by Maloy »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3498 on: August 11, 2023, 12:20:10 pm »

The tails on the warriors are incredibly sharp piercing weapons. Nude warriors easily killed armored enemies by jabbing the tail straight into their brains

what the fuck lol ... DF never fails to amaze. just RNG the Andalites from the Animorph series, why don't you?

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3499 on: August 11, 2023, 08:35:53 pm »

Spoiler: And just for certainty (click to show/hide)

No problem. Thank you for specifying which character to grab.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3500 on: August 12, 2023, 05:14:00 am »

Discovery 6. If you give an item like a waterskin to a random encounter creature it makes that creature now historical and it won't disappear when you leave. Throw me on that turn list again, why don'tcha?

Save is here I seriously used best compression and couldn't get it down. I think it's because I use the free version of Winrar??:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/13Iwq2r6OlJqjhtzRbzCzhsqhNCGTTKWu/view?usp=sharing

My submission:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Entry 1
Mab

The accursed trio slinked and creeped through the countryside. Their malicious bloodlust only tempered by need for stealth. They neared the north end of Razorbridge, once a bastion of trade, but now with war in the north it was infrastructure for armies.
Still, even today it spoke of the overwhelming influence of the Walled Dye: That not even the separation of continents could stop them.
Smoke rose day and night from furnaces, smelters and forges producing the metal of a death goddess whilst angels patrolled.
This was far too dangerous for the trio.
They made their way the long way around going through human, elven and goblin lands. If beasts saw them then the beasts were brutally massacred. They did not need to sleep, eat or drink and so covered the distance to their prize in only a few days:
Makbor - Incenseorder
Home to the wolf king.

No guards watched the gates as the trio creeped in. The wolf king was hunched over a desk working over countless scrolls and documents with his aide nearby. As Mab and his mates entered the aide gasped and the wolf king looked up with a mix of fear and disgust. The wolf was on his feet in a moment one hand ready to reach for his sword and the other with his fingers pointing out towards the trio, but to do what exactly?

Mab's face twisted into a facsimile of a smile. Skin pulling back from brutal maw causing the aide's mouth to open in silent scream and the wolf's fur to stand on end.
"Greetings, gentlemen. I see I have captured you at an opportune time"
The Wolf's outreached hand half-twitched "Don't suppose you came to buy a Midor-brand chamberpot?"
Cish, Mab's other mate, edged closer to the aide with saliva dripping out of her mouth
"I'll ask that you refrain from wasting my time with humor. As you can see we have you cornered and you know you can not defeat us"
"I don't know about that I'm pretty good at escaping relatively intact."
Mab dropped his sickly smile "I am not here to kill you. Your lands are exactly what we are looking for."
The wolf man did not drop his guard "For?"
"For revenge!" Mab snarled and his mates hissed "I will have my revenge against the Realm of Silver!"
The abomination began to pace as he continued "We will nest, grow strong, and have our revenge. We will build one of our nests in your land"
"And when you start attacking my people I come back and burn you and your nest down"
"We will not prey upon your slaves, for now. Unless, you wish to handle this now?"
"Frankly, I don't have the energy right now. My north-western border has an abandoned monastery to Midor. You can go defile that to your heart's content" The wolf lord tried to seem nonchalant, but was still obviously on edge
The creature made it's disturbing false smile again as his mates stalked out of the building "We will see each other again, soon."
New Quest: Infestation

Arthur

Years ago Arthur had marched with a group of elves and warriors of Udir to take the fortress of Tormentlives from the goblins. They believed that by doing so the goblins would focus their attention away from towns and villages and be forced to focus on the attackers on their northern flank. They succeeded and took over a city stuffed with weapons and a fortress with enough prison cells to fit an army.
Yet, despite the passing of years not a single counterattack came.
The goblins simply did not care. Now they marched around the long way to continue to raid the defenseless. This left the band discouraged, but seeing no other options they continued to hold the city.

That is why Arthur was at Boltspumpkin. The elven spearmaster sought through the museums many strewn annals and entries information that might help him stop the goblins.
All he could find was that there was no simple answer. The museum adventurers who dedicated themselves to that cause were often immortal tireless beings who'd relentlessly butcher for days on end through entire cities.
That was a tall order for one such as Arthur, but word of yet another attack on a dwarven town reached his ears while he was there and he decided he simply had to do make his move.
With the divine armor of his son, his trusty spear and a silver shield he set forth to the city of Lakemenace to fight its many thousands.
New Quest: In the Belly of the Beast

Maloy
A couple of lifetimes ago the goddess of death Mirding, a human adaptation of Midor, cursed a wolf-man to eternity as a werefox. Not only a werebeast, but a werebeast form that was weaker than his normal form in all ways. This didn't satisfy the petty goddess. After the wolf man achieved immortality she had her followers erect statues across the land depicting his transformation so that all might know that he was cursed.
Since then the wolf man became ruler of a small kingdom and pursued his revenge. Taking divine metal of the death goddess he then resurrected the angelic servants of her rival and set forth using magic to multiple the divine metal. This wasn't to raise an army or become the world's latest necromancer tyrant- oh no. His revenge would be just as petty. He was flooding the world's markets with common household items made from the divine metal and often depicting the goddess in humorous ways. He had become the owner of Mirding's image!

Of course, he thought this revenge would be all well and good, but he didn't think through on the labor of it all. The wolf king sat at a desk filing paperwork. On one side a pile of customer complaints piled up higher than his desk, he also had schedules present for meeting dignitaries, guild leaders, etc.
Messages from local authorities ensuring he pays taxes, tariffs, levies, etc. Merchant caravans arguing for larger shipments and trying to cut their rivals out.
Next, was the fact that most people liked to melt the metal down for armor and weapons, so despite his intentions otherwise he in fact, was flooding the market with weapons and armor so that at least his other products wouldn't be melted for that purpose!

The wolf king had been lowered to an administrator and businesswolf. He was miserable and his only consolation was his latest line of Mirding-themed chamberpots.
"I've a review here you need to sign on the first caravan we are sending to the Realm of Silver. Also you need to write that letter you want to get to the king about those abominations we saw" His aide said walking in with an ugly stack of paperwork to lay at his desk.
"I'm going to be frank, Ujol. You need to do some of this paperwork."
"Please, I'm helping you for the good of the city, but I am this city's religious leader and spiritual guide. Not your aide!"
"You worship a god of merchants! This is your calling too!"
"This is why people hire help. It's not like your lacking funds"
"Yeah, but who to hire? The humans around here seem witless most of the time!" His human aide stiffened "They're just peaceful. Like lambs! What about dwarves?"
"Dwarves help, but one day they're here the next they get a letter from the mountainhome commanding them to migrate and they just leave"
"Elves?"
Maloy winced at Ujol's suggestion
"Don't like to stick around"
"Goblins? No no, I know that's a bad idea" Ujol laughed
Maloy tapped his clawed finger on his desk "What we need is fresh faces around here. A new people" Suddenly, an idea struck him!
Maloy jolted up and reached for his cloak and began picking his traveling gear from the nearby pedestal
"Where do you think you're going? You've a business to run!"
"I'm going on an adventure! You get some men and keep an eye on those abominations!"
"They'll kill me! I don't want to do that! What about the business?"
Maloy laughed "Well, don't die then. They harm one hair on anyone's head you let me know and we'll rally the troops when I return. You run the business while I'm gone. Or don't! I'm sure your god will accept you allowing the economy of an entire kingdom to collapse"
Ujol had the most sour expression Maloy had ever seen and the wolf man laughed again.
He set forth - Due South
New Quest: Acquire Office Workers
« Last Edit: August 12, 2023, 03:33:36 pm by Maloy »

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3501 on: August 12, 2023, 12:30:27 pm »

Discovery 6. If you give an item like a waterskin to a random encounter creature it makes that creature now historical and it won't disappear when you leave.
I'm pretty sure anyone becomes historical once an adventurer talks to them, I've had Lurker talk to random NPCs so he could make historical figures (and it succeeded). Maybe you're talking about non-sapient creatures (non-humans, goblins, elves, dwarves)?
Save is here I seriously used best compression and couldn't get it down. I think it's because I use the free version of Winrar??:
I've seen others saying it doesn't work for them, I'm not sure what the issue is. I use free WinRar, so that's not the problem.

Congrats on the successful adventure. Good luck on your turn, Dikbutdagrate.
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3502 on: August 13, 2023, 01:50:26 pm »

Thanks. I'll get started later today, but I don't expect the "work" to really start happening until tomorrow.

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3503 on: August 13, 2023, 02:09:04 pm »

Well, I just started up the save, and I'm greeted with this:

"I'm sorry, I think I misheard you, I'm missing what?"

What the hell is happening?

Oh man, this is is sweet. Very excellent touch here with the advfort crafted slab.
Well, now that theres an actual commission, I'll have to revise my body plans. Which is a bit of a shame. Thats fine though. So less Chicken Boy degradation and humiliation, and more of a Resident Evil final boss sort of a deal.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2023, 02:22:10 pm by dikbutdagrate »

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3504 on: August 13, 2023, 02:15:07 pm »

Eye tooth? It just means his upper canine. Not like a tooth on his eye. Thought after your last turn, who can be sure?
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3505 on: August 13, 2023, 02:25:41 pm »

Eye tooth? It just means his upper canine. Not like a tooth on his eye. Thought after your last turn, who can be sure?

Oops, yeah you're right.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3506 on: August 13, 2023, 03:54:22 pm »

It was midway through the morning when the small party set out again.

Simo had been insistent on dissecting all of the  thralls’ corpses before they moved on, recording whatever knowledge she gleaned from the bodies in a small, leather-bound volume propped open on one of the hall’s tables. The anatomist worked patiently throughout the evening and night to dismantle the thralls down to the smallest organ, storing those she seemed to find particularly interesting in jars of murky liquid and discarding others to join a growing pile of offal in a salvaged chest. Occasionally, she would call for Degel or Sorus – usually to aid her in moving the next corpse into position for examination, but just as often to ask for their opinions on some of the anatomical oddities she had uncovered, or to query the Hand of Planegifts on a particular element of biology that she thought to resemble that of his.

By the time they finished with the last of the thralls’ bodies, it was early in the morning and both mercenaries were feeling the strain of the night’s work. Sorus was yawning with almost every word and growing more and more snappish as the lack of sleep took its toll; Degel, who had handled much of the more physical work, was breathing hard and leaning heavily upon a table’s edge for support.  Only Simo seemed unfazed by the night’s work, her features showing no trace of weariness. If anything, she had been eager to continue on the way before the sun rose, but a particularly irate response from her hirelings had put paid to that course of action.

And so they had stayed in the empty hall for the remainder of the night, the two mercenaries taking the opportunity for rest from their labours while they still had the chance to. Both had been risen a few hours later thanks to their employer, the infuriatingly unruffled scholar unceremoniously half-shaking, half-calling them into wakefulness as soon as the sun crested the horizon. She had been busy, stowing her specimens in her seemingly depthless backpack and wiping down the tables until they were free of the gore that had coated them scarcely a night ago. With no further reason to remain, she was quite eager to get underway to their next destination.

It was that which brought them to their current predicament – trudging through the snow of the Tundra of Heroes in the low, dull light of a winter morning, beneath a sky shrouded by an impenetrable cover of clouds and heavy with waiting snowfall. This region of the Tundra was almost entirely flat, and bereft of any plant-life beyond the occasional leafless tree-trunk or frost-speckled mass of lichen clinging to their sides; here and there a snowdrift rose from the flat land where the wind had blown particularly strongly, or the low curvature of a small hill rose briefly from the ground before sinking back down into the soil.  Nothing stirred from the undergrowth at their passage; whatever natural fauna called this place their home were either absent, or driven underground by the gathering storm.

(There was another possibility, of course, but Sorus pointedly refused to consider it. She doubted they would come this far out, anyway.)

Shaking her head to herself, Sorus continued to press on through the snow, only to nearly run straight into Simo’s back. The scholar had stopped abruptly in front of her, head turned slightly to the side, like that of a curious bird.

“What-?” Sorus began to snap, only to be cut off by a raised finger.

“Look.” Simo raised a hand to point directly ahead. Looming out of the gathering storm and gloom was an indistinct mass of shapes and colour – a squat, brownish smear on the near-horizon. “There’s something out there. Can’t tell what.”

“I’ll go ahead.” Degel was already in motion toward the distant smear, unable to disguise his eagerness to please the scholar through his proactive action. “Find what’s over there, and come back quick as I can.”

Simo nodded her approval. “Mukca’s wings speed you.”

The Hand gave a momentary salute before dashing off into the snowy fields ahead, leaving Sorus and Simo standing alone. 

Time passed. The wind began to pick up in earnest, and the snow, casting a translucent white veil across the fields around them. Neither spoke. Simo seemed determined to keep her own counsel; Sorus was still irate from a lack of sleep, and did not trust herself to speak without showing it. The minutes stretched on, seeming to become hours, and then days. Her fingers drummed up and down on the hilt of her sword as her patience began to fray, embers beginning to burn in her chest. Sorus Chantscar was not a patient woman at the best of times, and this need to simply stand out in the freezing cold sat ill with her. It was a relief when she picked up the rapid sound of snow and grass crunching underfoot.

Degel was returning at speed, quickly striding across the powdery snow to rejoin his comrades. His mouth was fixed in a grim line, and one gauntlet rested around the handle of his battle axe, as though fearing something would leap up from beneath the snow he was walking upon. At the sight of his grim-faced expression, Sorus felt herself instinctually tensing up, one hand going to her weapon in readiness for whatever warning he would provide.

“Looks like the remains of a camp,” He announced, without preamble. “Fire’s long dead, and the tents’re rent through where they aren’t choked with snow. Looks like whoever was there took off in a hurry – they left enough baggage for at least a couple mules behind, with more spilling out’a one of the tents.”

“Probably animals,” Sorus muttered, though she could not hide the note of uncertainty in her voice. “They’re usually desperate, ‘round this time of year.”

“Any sign of foul play?” Simo appeared unconvinced by Sorus’ suggestion, fixing Degel with her odd, hawkish stare. “Violence?”

“Maybe.” Degel shrugged his shoulders, eyes flicking uncertainly. “Just a’fore I came back here, I saw something in the snow – definitely big enough to be a body. Couldn’t get a good look at it.”

“Then we look closer.” Sorus stated, her voice taking on a hard, sharp edge. She did not wait for a reaction from either her partner or employer, instead striding forward into the gathering blizzard with her jaw firmly set.

The campsite itself was a small affair – a series of cloth and leather tents, arranged in a loose circle around a small, stone-ringed campfire’s ashes. Whatever shelter they had once provided was now gone: their sides were white with built-up snow, or else rent open at the sides to leave their inside bare to the Tundra of Heroes’ freezing winds. Ice-encrusted bones tumbled at the mouth of the nearest tent, its ragged flap stirring as the breeze picked up once more. Worn bags and sacks were strewn around the snowy ground, fraying sides ripping open to spill their contents out to the soil; much of it looked to be antiquated coins or armour, rusted and worn down by the passage of time and the harshness of the surroundings.

There was a figure in the middle of the camp, kneeling in the snow right beside the long-cooled remains of the fire. A tall, broad-shouldered figure, kneeling in the middle of a circle of unmistakably human bodies.

“That man was not there before,” Degel whispered, suddenly alert.

“A survivor? Another traveller?” Simo’s voice was similarly hushed; her fingers hovered cautiously about her daggers.

“Can’t tell.” Degel carefully drew the axes from his sides, gripping the oak handles tightly as he exchanged a wary glance with his employer. His heartbeat sounded terribly loud in his ears, in the near-silence that had fallen over the tundra and the three of them. “Not from here.”

“Then hold here.” Sorus said, a trifle more sharply than she’d intended. Her sword was already in hand, and a sudden, reckless fire in her chest. “I’ll go ahead.”

Before either of the others could get a word in edgewise, the swordswoman strode forward through the bluster and snow until she was a dozen steps away from the man, before raising her voice to call out to him.

The man did not respond. He was of the living, of that there was no doubt – even at a distance, they could discern the rapid, heavy rise and fall of his shoulders, as of a man exhausted by a chase or great emotion. The bronze and iron plates of his armour were speckled with fallen snow and frost, the whitish deposits now falling from his armour as he began to move once more, pressing his hands against the ground and beginning to push himself to his feet. Sorus grew closer, hesitantly reaching out to touch his shoulder with her free hand.

“Are you…?”

Quick as a whip, the man’s head snapped toward her, a low growl tearing its way out of his throat to accompany the movement. The pallid skin of his face was covered in sores and shot through with discoloured veins, black lips drawn back from the teeth in a rictus snarl. At the sight of Sorus, the low growl ratcheted up to a sharp snarl, and the man finished lurching upright even as the mercenary flinched backward in recognition of the growing danger.

“He’s a bloody thrall!”

That shout was the pebble that started the avalanche. The bodies forming the circle burst into sudden, frenzied motion the moment the words left his mouth, kicking up white clouds of powdery snow as they scrambled to their feet and rushed forward. The air filled with the hollow clicks of teeth snapping together and the roaring of the attacking thralls, infected man after infected man practically tumbling over one another in their sudden haste to bury their teeth in living flesh. One of the leading thralls’ copper-bladed axe met Degel’s with the shriek of metal on metal; the Hand of Planegifts quickly responded with a hard punch to the throat that sent the infected man reeling backwards, then a swing of his own axe that barely missed destroying the lumbering thrall’s face.

Sorus faced the snarling form of the man who had lured them into this trap, her sword gripped in both hands as she circled warily about. The thrall was well-armoured, the leather and bronze plates still strong despite their obvious age, and had been swift to draw a longsword from a tattered leather scabbard at its side the moment it rose to its feet. Working her sword through the armour and into the vulnerable body beneath would be no easy task.

As if sensing her distracted thoughts, it took the opportunity to lunge at her with its longsword arcing down toward her shoulder. Sorus met its blade with her own, a quick, deft parry that she managed to smoothly transition into an outright lock. Up close, its monstrous features were even more pronounced – the snapping, olive-stone teeth; the bulging, black-tinted veins; the pallid, stretched skin that hinted unpleasantly at the workings of muscle and tendon beneath. It stank of blood and rotted meat, the fluids weeping from the open sores only adding to its noisome stench. In such close quarters, it was hard to believe that it had ever even begun to deceive her, and that thought stirred a sharp flare of anger in her chest as she broke the lock with a hard punch to the thrall’s stomach, knocking it back a few steps.

Seizing the advantage, Sorus strode confidently forward, her sword flicking out to slice into her foe’s right shoulder. A thin line of dark blood fell from the gash as the blade bit, but the armoured thrall lurched away before it could penetrate deeply, the motion pulling Sorus’ blade from its wound. Another two blows landed, tearing gashes into the bronze plates that protected the thrall’s chest and right shoulder before it could respond with a wild thrust of its own sword. The swordswoman deftly stepped aside to evade the strike, only to grunt in surprise as something struck hard against her shoulder with enough force to stagger her; it was long enough for the thrall to hammer a strong punch into her mid-section, driving the air from her lungs in a wordless woof and pushing her several steps backwards.

Grimacing, Sorus managed to suck a breath into her chest despite the painful burning, turning her head for a moment toward her shoulder. The sight there almost sent the breath right back out of her – a copper bolt, protruding from the plates of her shoulderguard. Not deep enough to hit flesh, or even to break through the leather, but the fact it was there at all was enough to bring a dozen unnerving possibilities whirling to the forefront of her mind and leave her blood running cold. Thralls didn’t use crossbows. It couldn’t have been Degel or Cosmoscleaned. There was nobody else out there. It –

A roar from her opponent brought her back to reality, along with a swing from the thrall’s sword that barely missed taking off her nose.

Think later. Sorus mentally snarled at herself, swearing under her breath as she turned the thrall’s next strike away before lunging toward its trailing knee. Kill the bastards now!

To the right of Sorus’ duel, Degel was busy facing two thralls at once. A third lay slumped in the snow it had sought to rise from, a steady flow of blood staining the snow pink; he had scored a lucky blow in the first moments of the battle, splitting its unarmoured head apart down to the chin before the swinging blows of the other two had forced him back. Grunting with the effort, Degel ducked beneath the punch of one before jerking to the side as its fellow rushed forward to deliver a clumsy thrust of its dagger, feeling the rusted blade skim past the edge of his shoulder guard as he turned out of its path. A retaliatory strike brought him a moment’s breathing room as the weighted pommel of one axe crushed the thrall’s nose and sent it staggering back, toppling to the ground as one leg caught on some detritus hidden among the snow.

The other did not wait for its comrade to rise, instead rushing forward with a throaty snarl and snapping teeth. Its limbs jerked uncontrollably as it ran, the arms windmilling around to become crude flails, the legs flying about beneath it. Light shone off the frost-speckled bronze mail that clung to its torso. One hand dragged an axe along the ground behind it, the weathered blade leaving a red-orange trail through the snow as flakes of rust peeled away from the metal.
Perhaps, Degel thought, the Blight had rotted whatever nerves it had into the point of near uselessness. It would certainly explain its lurching, uncoordinated movements. He stepped about its clumsy, crooked limbs with almost scornful ease, retaliating with hard, heavy swings of his twinned axes that tore great gashes into its exposed flesh and sent blood arcing through the air with each motion.

Amidst the chaos of the ambush, Simo darted in and out of the individual battles at a run, her daggers opening veins and tearing gashes into exposed flesh with every blow before she darted away, leaving the enraged thralls to grasp at thin air with their crooked fingers and black nails. She had seen an oddity among the horde, and was rapidly homing in on it for study.

Thrusting her right-hand dagger through the throat of one thrall, Simo quickly turned on the balls of her feet to slash another’s grasping hand off at the wrist. Two more blows finished the wounded thrall – one sliding between the sore-speckled ribs to cut through a lung, the second barely missing the heart to instead bisect a critical artery. The diseased bandit crashed to the ground, blood spilling from the cuts in his chest. Fast as lightning she was away again, ducking below the extended arm of another to plunge a dagger into its exposed armpit and another into the side of its neck as she rose upright. The thrall crumpled to the ground as she tugged the dagger across, neatly slitting its throat.

Hearing a cry from her right, she turned her head to the side in search of another target. Instead she found Degel and Sorus, still engaged in their respective duels.

Simo took a moment to assess the pair’s situation. Both were tiring, though they still held the upper hand – neither had taken a true wound, though both bore small scratches on their armour and exposed skin – though they were both sheened with sweat despite the cold, and their stances were beginning to betray their exhaustion. The thralls they faced were hardly in a better state, blood pouring from the wounds ripped into their flesh, limbs hanging in ragged tatters of torn meat, but they were as fresh in stamina as had been the first moments of the battle. They pressed closer with each passing moment, growing bold now that their opponents had begun to tire.

Simo hesitated. In all likelihood, they would be fine – they held the upper hand, and their foes were both wounded. There was, however, a definite chance that either could be wounded, possibly to the point of crippling or a fatality. That would be… quite the loss, even to the point of jeopardising her mission. She took a step away, trying to focus on the target she had picked out from the thrall-horde, but her treacherous eyes kept turning back toward the raging duels. She gritted her teeth.

“Storm damn it all.” She muttered to herself.

Grimacing, Simo raised her blades and began to step forward to engage the thralls, when a low growl behind her alerted her to a rising threat. She span on her heel with just enough time to dodge a speeding shaft of bronze metal that whipped through the air, passing inches away from her right eye to pierce through the hide of the nearest tent. With the decision made for her, Simo wasted no time in charging full-force in the direction of the strike’s source, weak sunlight gleaming off her daggers’ bloodied blades.

Degel staggered slightly as he turned aside another blow from the howling thrall. His muscles were burning with exertion; his bruises and scratches throbbed painfully. Not enough to stop him, not by a long shot, but enough that he knew he must disengage or otherwise finish the fight – and soon, before it could overwhelm him.

“Sorus!” He shouted, looking back over his shoulder to catch her eye. He jerked his head toward the thrall he was facing. “Trade ya!”

The swordswoman needed little encouragement to accept. Degel span out of her way as she came charging forward, her sword already wheeling around to strike at the snarling thrall’s bloated legs; he matched her charge with one of his own, cannoning shoulder-first into the chest of the axe-wielding thrall. It grunted and staggered slightly at the blow, more of a reaction to the force than out of any pain, but it bought him enough time to slam the blade of an axe down onto its right elbow. The blade trembled slightly from the force, but it bit nonetheless, cutting down through a chink already opened by Sorus’ sword and splitting the thrall’s right hand down to the wrist.

The thrall staggered backwards, shrieking in rage as blood poured from its ruined palm. Degel stepped forward with a snarl of his own, axes raising to sever the creature’s head from its shoulders, only to stagger as something slammed into his breastplate. It was strong enough to force him a few steps backwards before he could compensate for the force; he whipped his serpentine head back and forth, seeking out the source of the attack. He saw nothing, but that itself proved nothing – any marksman worth the name would have displaced, and the snowfall was starting to hamper his vision again.

Whatever had delivered the blow, it had not been enough to penetrate or even draw blood. What it had been was enough to distract him, and the one-armed thrall did not hesitate to take advantage of that distraction. It crashed into him in a blur of motion that bowled him over to the ground, fist catching him across the jaw with enough force to leave stars flashing behind his eyes, its bloodied stump rebounding uselessly from the same.

The thrall leaned in closer to his face, jaundiced eyes rolling, teeth snapping together inches away from his flesh; fetid saliva dripped from ragged, frostbite-blistered lips to land warmly on his cheek and throat. Degel snarled and spat in response, struggling against the weight pressing down on his chest, but the thrall was solid and heavy as a boulder even without one arm. He tried to thrash his head forward against his opponent’s to buy time, but the thrall responded with jerky movements of its own head that kept him from landing a solid blow; his arms were pinned by his sides, and his legs were kicking uselessly, unable to find any purchase on the ground.

And all the while, the carious teeth projecting from its rotting gums came ever closer to sinking into his scales.

Fear’s freezing hand closed around his rapidly beating heart and began to squeeze, sending waves of cold rushing around his body. Degel strained and pushed with everything he had against the thrall’s weight as one bite came perilously close to tearing into his flesh, but it simply would not budge. He gritted his teeth hard. He feared death, like any living thing would, but worse than that was the nature of this death – becoming a prisoner in his own flesh, condemned to watch his body devour anything in its path until violence took it or the Blight finally consumed him.

The thrall stopped mid-motion. It shuddered violently for a moment, an almost confused look passing over its face, before the broad blade of a bronze dagger emerged through its face, the bloodied tip coming to rest inches away from his own. The thrall’s eyes blinked once or twice as though surprised by the fatal blow, before the owner of the weapon wrenched it upward with enough force to cleave the upper half of the thrall’s skull in two; blood misted his vision as it flew from the wound. A boot rammed into its side, forcing the twitching body to roll off the trapped man.

Degel scrambled to his feet with thanks on his lips, finding himself facing the grim-faced figure of Simo. The remaining thralls lay around the campsite where they had fallen, their blood slowly staining the snow a deep scarlet. Sorus went from corpse to corpse with a snarl on her reddened face, slashing each fallen thrall’s throat with her sword to ensure they were truly dead, rather than seemingly feigning it as the first one had. Simo quickly extracted the dagger from the downed thrall’s broken skull, wiping it clean on its tattered jerkin. She seemed preoccupied, looking toward the bodies with an oddly-focused eye.

“Fascinating…”

Degel turned his head to face Simo, grimacing as he wiped some of the thrall’s blood from his eyes. “Something interesting, doctor?”

“Aye,” Simo gestured with a hand toward the broken bodies on the ground. “You noticed the way these thralls fought, yes?”

“Hardly.” Degel returned, grimace tightening as he gingerly touched a finger to his jaw. He could already feel a bruise forming under the scales. “I was more concerned with the one trying to take my face off.”

“Well, then, attention is certainly something to work on…” Simo muttered, her features creasing in slight irritation. Degel glared sharply at that and began to work up a protest, only for the scholar to plough on. “These creatures did not fight as a mindless mob. There was an element of strategy to this attack, and in the way they fought against us.”

“What?” Sorus couldn’t keep the surprise and slight disbelief out of her voice as she joined the conversation, eyeing Simo as though she had grown a second head. “You’re saying these things can plan ahead?”

“Quite.” Simo pointed to one of the corpses, singling it out for their attention. It was dressed in lightweight plates of leather and bore a half-empty quiver on its back, complimenting the crossbow still clamped firmly in its blistered hands. A crude bronze bolt lay half-buried in the dirty snow beside it. Sorus whispered an oath under her breath at the sight of it, her fingers almost unconsciously rising to touch her damaged shoulderguard. “This one, for instance – it stayed behind the rest of the thrall-swarm, let them soak up the blows to better make use of its crossbow from a distance. Accuracy leaves much to be desired, but the fact it can use such a weapon at all beyond a bludgeon is telling.

“And these –” Here, she gestured to the rest of the fallen thralls with a wide, sweeping motion of her arm. “You saw them in the first moments of this battle. Dead to even a close glance, let alone a casual observer. Yet when the first one rose up, they came to life and struck with it, taking advantage of your surprise to press their attack.” A gleam flashed in the scholar’s narrow, grey eyes. “Awfully convenient for them should it be coincidence, would you not say?”

“Issha’s blood…” Sorus murmured.

The idea of thralls that could think, that could plan ahead and lure the living into traps seemed like insanity; something out of a mummer’s tale, or out of the nightmares in the ancient Black Scrolls of the Law-Giver Sugrith. But for all that, she could not deny what she had seen during the battle, and the scholar’s words made a disturbing amount of sense. Those men had seemed dead and lifeless at the battle’s beginning, only to spring to life as they approached. Her head turned, again, toward her shoulder – the copper bolt still protruded from the metal plates, wedged into a seam between two of them.

"Indeed." Simo nodded quickly, her hawkish eyes narrowing almost to slits. Already she had withdrawn her book and quill, making notes in it with quick flicks of her fingers and hand. "It seems we are not alone in the pursuit of knowledge, astounding as that might seem from these... creatures."

“Issha’s blood…” Sorus murmured again, though there was a more thoughtful note to it this time. “Then we are all in danger. If more of them become like this –”

“Which is precisely why my mission is of such importance, Cosmosclean.” Simo interrupted, voice surprisingly firm. “Now come – let us keep moving toward our destination.”

She re-sheathed her daggers at her sides, and nodded toward the horizon. The clouds had finally begun to part, and the horizon was becoming clearer with it – distantly, she could make out the deep black-purple smear of several dozen towers, rising from the earth as though to beckon them onwards. Almost unbidden, a smile touched her lips.

“I fear these goblins will be quite… unwelcoming to a house call.”

I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3507 on: August 13, 2023, 05:44:07 pm »

Sweet story so far QD.

Btw, that was quite the tall order you requested, in terms of new body parts.
I'm hunting these things down the old fashioned way, (ideally, you'd give me the parts along with the honey), and so its going to be quite the effort to gather all this stuff! You might just have to ultimately make do with whatever I happen to come across, depending on how many days it takes. (So who knows, maybe this chicken beast thing will work out after all)

First things first though, gotta spruce up the old adv camp. Place was barebones and incredibly spartan, and was only ever intended to have simple basic functionality as an adv site. Lol. I definitely was not expecting to be giving this place the maximum spooky package makeover, complete with Utumno 98' support. But after a couple hours of micro'ing its construction, tile by tile, we do appear to be getting somewhere with it though.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2023, 05:47:17 pm by dikbutdagrate »

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3508 on: August 14, 2023, 02:12:20 am »

Sweet story so far QD.

I'm hunting these things down the old fashioned way, (ideally, you'd give me the parts along with the honey), and so its going to be quite the effort to gather all this stuff! You might just have to ultimately make do with whatever I happen to come across, depending on how many days it takes. (So who knows, maybe this chicken beast thing will work out after all)

I’m fairly certain I did provide the parts. Will double check my saves, because I’m certain I remember having them and probably handing them off with the slab.

EDIT: It's a turkey leather backpack full of body parts; either Mokun Cosmosclean or Weenie should have it in their inventory. Whoops, looks like I left it in Mokun's inventory and forgot to hand it to Weenie along with the slab  :-[.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 02:35:36 am by Quantum Drop »

dikbutdagrate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3509 on: August 14, 2023, 05:09:34 am »

Sweet story so far QD.

I’m fairly certain I did provide the parts. Will double check my saves, because I’m certain I remember having them and probably handing them off with the slab.

EDIT: It's a turkey leather backpack full of body parts; either Mokun Cosmosclean or Weenie should have it in their inventory. Whoops, looks like I left it in Mokun's inventory and forgot to hand it to Weenie along with the slab  :-[.

No worries, I got most of it and have improvised the rest thus far.
I stumbled onto a labyrinth full of night troll children, and had a sudden macabre inspiration involving them.
I think you'll like what I have so far.

No more spoilers though, you'll get to see it once I'm done!

Also came across some regular gnomes up in the nearby mountains, and acquired some "decorations" for Honeyhammer. I think thats the camp's name.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2023, 05:13:46 am by dikbutdagrate »
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 [234] 235 236 ... 263