Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 254 255 [256] 257 258 ... 263

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 409563 times)

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)
« Reply #3825 on: January 28, 2024, 05:05:30 pm »

I haven't really read the adventures yet, but I see there is great confusion about Zar Evenchirped, one of the companions of my gremlin adventurer.
I suspect we are dealing with an army of clones controlled by a certain character with a honey-addiction and a preference for outlandish architecture.

Zar Evenchirped was left behing in Honeyhammer when my gremlin died, and that left him at the mercy of whatever darkness dwells in that place.
I strongly suspect this is no coincidence, as it was hinted at at the time that bad things might happen to him.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 05:10:54 pm by Bralbaard »

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3826 on: January 28, 2024, 05:17:08 pm »

Glad you’re back BB!

Very neat! How long ago was 1069? I was just thinking it's been awhile since my wolf lord was wearing anything other than blistered armor.

Werecats ?! In my city! Glad they got dealt with! Also glad I was polite to a guest!

The current year is 1076 I think.
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3827 on: January 28, 2024, 05:17:51 pm »

All is well, I got a bit distracted with other hobbies over the last month :)

Anyhow, The turn list has been updated, but I have not read all the latest stories yet. I'll try to catch up.

Add me to the bottom of the list please :)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3828 on: January 28, 2024, 05:43:00 pm »

10th anniversary of kesperan winning adventure mode :P

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3829 on: January 29, 2024, 05:18:00 pm »

It is indeed, Congrats!

That was from the original museum when Kesperan got twice husked. Did anyone at all get husked in the current game? It seems it is a rare syndrome in our current world, but it happened all the time in the first museum game.
I think the area around Homesafe the shrine of guarding is cursed like that, but I know of no other regions? We do of course have all the contagious undead syndromes to compensate for the lack of husking clouds.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2024, 05:19:45 pm by Bralbaard »

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III adventure game
« Reply #3830 on: January 29, 2024, 05:57:25 pm »

The Chronicles of the Adventurers of The Grand Museum of Boltspumpkin

According to the list from QD, Ketas Indigovaulted is a Fiendish Soot husk - there may be others but he's the only confirmed one, from a bag of fiendish soot which I believe is still present in the Museum.

There's certainly no evidence so far of any twice-husked monstrosities, but several adventurers have been raised as different flavours of intelligent undead.

Moldath, of course, is a Fell One Hollow Zombie.

Pike Planecalm the Confident (Pik's second incarnation) is a Gaunt Corpse Putrid Ghoul Empty One.

However, Avolition's latest monstrosity, Ral Lanternhealing the Lonely Gate of Calling is a Hollow Stalker, Gaunt Zombie, Cold Slayer, Dark One, Fell One, Empty One, Hollow Hunter, Fallen Slayer, Hollow Zombie, Gaunt Corpse, Putrid Ghoul, Rotten Slayer having been killed and resurrected 12 times. He also has over 35000 notable kills which is just mind boggling. Can't wait to hear that story.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3831 on: January 31, 2024, 10:14:06 pm »

(sorry guys no screenshots. They were all lost when my pc hard drive blew up. Also the beginning is very melancholy because some of my favorite npcs were close to dying of old age by the time I ended my turn and I knew I probably wouldn't see them again)

The wolf king sat in the small manor sipping dwarven rum while sitting across from his old friend.

Asen. The aging dwarf was now more wrinkle than skin with his eyes jolly slits and his white beard flowing down to the floor. His cane rested next to his chair that rocked peacefully.
Asen was the militia commander of Razorbridge who had wandered off with several of it's soldiers enacting one scheme after another to achieve a life of luxurious debauchery; all of which failed comically.
From buying an island that turned out to have been purged of life by a necromancer to one of his soldiers marrying a baron only to realize a consort doesn't inherit power when they marry.

After the failure of their last scheme they sought to raid a certain vampire lord's granary to make and sell alcohol to the whole region - not realizing that the Walled Dye had already promised huge quantities to Maloy's kingdom in exchange for blistered metal.
This bad advice let them meet up again with the wolf king though who was deeply overwhelmed by running a mercantile empire he actually had very little interest with and had started out of spite. Over the decades Asen and his crew of idiotic arguing cronies ran the day to day of the business. Accruing vast wealth for them, as the king had no need of it being immortal, and saving the wolf from having a day job.

Now Asen was elderly and living peacefully rocking in his chair. His cronies were similarly decrepit and could be heard arguing with one another in the background as if they were still young beardlings on their latest adventure. Asen's manor was the largest in all of Makbor and had a beautiful garden to boot.
Despite the beauty, peace and comraderie the crew was mourning the death of one of the band. Kivish the swift. The she-dwarf passed of old age and they buried her far away without telling Maloy, for likely he would have chosen to resurrect his friend into undeath, rather than let her begone forever.
"It's hard." whispered Asen without breaking the rhythm of his rocking chair
"What is?" Maloy replied
"Being the last one alive"
"What?"
"I'm saying when we're gone, mangy pup, it'll be hard" Asen said with his regular annoyance when he felt others were not listening properly
"It's harder because I can stop it. Can bring back anyone I want, but it changes them for the worse. Even knowing it will make things worse I still always want to"
Asen rocked silently for a full minute before responding "Don't let yourself be alone, wolf."
"I don't think I have the strength to replace any of you, old man" Maloy said, giving voice to the dread void inside his heart.
Asen chuckled "You'll never replace me or any of them, fool! Don't even try! You make space for new people in your life otherwise you're trapped in the past. That's why all these other immortals are crazy. Can't make space for new things."
"You make it sound like I'm gonna miss you. I just meant that it'll be near impossible to find someone dumb enough to run all my businesses for me!"
Asen shot back "Aye, you won't find anyone else who will let you get away with slacking off! Better pay them even better than me!"
The wolf king smiled "I'm very glad we all met."

Maloy left his manor appointment to wander around Incenseorder.

Things were strange today. He saw his regular guards wandering around. Each squad had one soldier fully equipped in divine armor and weapons surrounded by light troopers, but now were strange soldiers wandering the streets as well! Many new humans and each of them armored with the symbol of the High Confederacies. This was unprecedented in the centuries the wolf man had been in Makbor. He could only presume the Confederacy sought to make a large purchase of divine metal either for their war effort against the blight or perhaps for the many memorabilia he had forged mocking the goddess Midor.
He sought to speak to one
"Hail, traveler! I am Maloy! King of these lands!"
The female soldier turned from her perch slowly and locked glowing blue eyes with him, but did not speak. She was a dark one! Intelligent undead raised again with dark powers! They were also almost always incredibly rude and ignored people-like this one was doing now!

This also didn't disturb Maloy, but annoyed him. He frequently resurrected the city's dead in a far-away hamlet so they could continue to live on away from the living. He was used to this, but he still had no answers!
He saw a dark gnome interacting with a High Confederacy soldier, but the two stopped when he approached. Suspicious.

When he turned into an alley another human came running towards him from the other end. This one wearing the sigil of his own people, but the warrior drew his weapon and swung at the king! The wolf man began to duel expecting it to be easy, but quickly realized that this human was one of his own intelligent undead he had raised and sent away now attacking him!
Soon he was joined by confederate soldiers to fight the wolf man, but they did not count on the wolf's tireless body. He patiently dodged, blocked and parried until openings came and he beheaded, cut throats, severed limbs, and whatever else it took to wear down opponents until he was standing surrounded by eviscerated corpses.

This was unacceptable! This was unprecedented! This was rebellion!
No one was answering him about it either!
He grabbed the corpses and began to carry them to his isolation settlement. As evening came upon his land the nightshift military came on: Gremlins mostly with the occasional dark gnome. These ambushed him several times forcing him to kill his hard earned night shift crew! Maloy carried those corpses too.

Once all were gathered at the abandoned settlement of Granitehoods he dropped them inside a small home and raised them all back as intelligent undead.
He stood, chest out and hands behind his back in front of the eviscerated, but now living crowd. "I'm not gonna ask. I am severely disappointed in you all. You can all stay in here for a century or two and then we will talk." Without another word the wolf king locked the door behind him and left his former minions to stew in their stinking misery.

Truth be told there were two likely culprits:
1. the dark gnomes.
The mischievous monsters are so malicious that they actually somehow forged museum records to declare themselves as rulers of the world for one year. This was definitely along the lines of their behavior, BUT the wolf king absolutely needed them to be his customer complaint services otherwise he would have to talk to angry dignitaries himself!
2. The High Confederacies. They haven't owned Makbor in centuries, but were the original owners. Not only that, but they've been on a losing streak for generations and now Makbor is sitting on a mountain of wealth from trade. They probably want their take. The confederacy capital is only a few hours away from Maloy's own capital.

There was only one real option-truly.

In the dead of night Maloy slipped into the mead-hall capital of the confederacy. It's rulers sleeping on the stone floor like the broke failures that they were. The wolf king began to slit each ones throat. One by one.
Until he was accosted by a knight in armor. He was clearly outfitted for battle, but his head had a chef's hat on it: The High Chef of the confederacy!
The two dueled and it should have been quick, but the warrior was far better than Maloy in every way and cut off his tail!
Maloy raised the corpses of the entire ruling government of the confederacy as zombies and continued to duel. The zombies did not target the knightly chef, which meant he was secretly a necromancer or undead himself.
The chef raised his sword shouting "I yield! I yield! No sense dying for those already dead!"
"An oddly pragmatic thing to say at such a time" Maloy responded "But I accept your yield. Tell the next line of confederate leaders that if they attack my city again I'll resurrect them on the bottom of the ocean"
The knight nodded quickly "understood!"
"Also the zombies stay here. If the next group gets eaten that is their problem"
Maloy gestured for the zombies to remain put in the mead hall. "Perhaps the next two government's will get eaten by zombies. That would be funny!" he said to himself as he left.

Next he dropped in on his border settlement where he had a growing population of the warriors of Udir angels. Locals had a far less tasteful name for them "lesbian angel cult"
The ladies were just finishing massacring some gremlin rebels and Maloy made a mental note to come back and drag these corpses to the isolation settlement too.
He put his hands together as if praying "Ladies! I need a favor!"
The eldest of them, a third generation angel, responded "We go where we can best serve the Eternal War"
Maloy nodded emphatically "Yes. Yes. Of course the Eternal War! I need a few volunteers to go with me to a place that desperately needs your help in that matter!"

Although it took a couple of weeks he led the trio far far to the south to the halmet of Rushpelt. It belonged to the Realm of Silver; which Maloy eagerly sought to expand his market of Midor-mocking metal items to! He brought plenty of divine metal to give to the citizens and soldiers as gifts to interest them in future trading and instructed the warriors of Udir to begin to dwell here.
"Stay, protect this place, and if it isn't too much trouble do that procreation thing you all do"
The convenient thing about the angels is that wherever they were born they had immediate knowledge about the local culture, religion and values. New angels born here would be loyal to the Realm of Silver! They would need the assistance to counterbalance the next thing he had to do while down here.

He headed north to Swordgleam.

A captain of the guard was rooting through the city's palace that was still covered in fresh dwarf corpses. According to him they set out to bury the many dead in this city only to find it to be infested by howling freaks. They killed them all thankfully, but now the place was littered with dead dwarves and with few hands to move them.
Maloy nodded empathetically to the plight of the dwarf and truly felt regret for what happened to his friends and for what was about to happen to him. He turned and gestured to all the Howling Freak corpses and they all rose in unison. The dwarf was paralyzed in shock. Maloy was not and he immediately sprinted for the exit. The dwarf flew in the air past him and through the doors, new powers that the freaks would now have, and Maloy just kept running and hoping that as few dwarves would die as needed.

Geo-politics and all that. Maloy had to keep his end of the deal up with the father of all howling freaks. He had a small army of them stationed near his capital ready to descend and bring carnage. Even if Maloy purged them, an incredibly costly affair, far to the north a psychotic immortal bear was building monstrosities and expanding precariously close to his lands.
He needed those howling freaks there and he needed them happy enough to not raid his own lands! So, they ask for one of their nests to get a resurrection? They get a resurrection.
End of story.

The wolf king stopped running when he got to the river. He sat by it's banks and drained the last of his rum "Why is the rum always gone?" he said sadly.
He had one final stop to make before all his problems were fixed and he could go without being attacked for a little while.

He traveled to mysterious and unmapped mountains covered in mirthful greenery. Plants that looked like fluffy balls of joy rose from the ground begging to be squeeze and hugged. It was here he was going to stop the dark gnomes.
He wandered forever and resisted the persistent urge to frolic among fields until he found his quarry!

Gnomes! Real ones this time! Not those mischievous dark ones!
The plan was simple:
He needed dark gnomes
Dark Gnomes are a constant problem
Dark Gnomes are natural rivals to Mountain Gnomes
Therefore we needed an equal amount of Mountain Gnomes working in Makbor to counter-balance them!
They'd be so busy fighting one another they'd have no time to hire confederate armies to overthrow him!

He explained the plan to the chief of the gnomes while making it sound more like he needed their help to be heroes rather than to be annoyances.
The gnomes squeaked amongst each other until the chief finally saluted back and before Maloy knew it he was now king of both dark and light gnomes!

With his borders secure, his enemies turned into ravenous zombies, and his employees at each others throats instead of his; It was time to rest once more. He had a lot to think on and maybe it was a time to vacation and crash at his nephew's house in Razorbridge?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2024, 07:01:49 am by Maloy »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3832 on: February 01, 2024, 04:42:18 am »

Will be posting the save tomorrow, im out of data on my phone so it will take a bit. Here's part 2 of the adventure.

After retiring/unretiring a few times, I got the wolf men to be part of the high confederacies as citizens, so people stopped attacking them on sight. Had to body-swap to each of them, retire, unretire as a party, retire again in a settlement that counted as part of a civilization, and unretire again to continue. Wasted a couple months total. In fort mode, the wolverine people Ty and Fel married in the interim, petitioned for citizenship, and produced a set of triplets, all female and a pair of twins, both male. There are now more wolverine people in the Pages of Tiredness than DFhack reports in the wilderness population for the region; 11 (4 in the Eternal Citadel. Wo and Isk had kids too?) vs 8. There are 30k in the world in total.

I caught some mountain goat men too. Tune in next decade to find out if they fully integrate into society!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3833 on: February 01, 2024, 11:35:57 am »

Wo and Isk did get married and had triplets. He then left to follow Thikut to Palacework as he was still flagged as her follower and the dialogue option to end their relationship was not working for some reason.

When I unretired Palacework he was there as a “hostile” so I ended up having to banish him. Hoped he would return home to his wife!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3834 on: February 01, 2024, 08:40:06 pm »

The file upload is not going well, nobody's phones can connect to the internet well enough to upload it in under 48 hours. Maybe its the storm or maybe someone else with higher priority is hogging all the bandwidth. I'll try again tomorrow
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3835 on: February 02, 2024, 10:19:04 am »

"Thikut I, Part 2" - Turn 142

The Journey of Thikut and Wo

14th Limestone 1069

The full moon has passed, and with it any threat of werebeast attacks for at least another month. The wolverine man Wo, from Livingdead, has arrived. He has changed his mind about travelling together and has beseeched me to lead him to The Eternal Citadel. He wishes to meet up with his packmate Isk, who is now a noble in that fort. An outpost liaison, if the wolverine man can be trusted.

Wo is in a sorry state. He is covered in wounds, and some look infected. He has apparently been fighting goblins. He is missing his right front tooth and perhaps most concerningly there is a copper arrow lodged in the socket of his ruined right eye.

I agree to lead him south, as in truth I am headed that way anyway. I am no further forward to finding my husband, so thats as good a place to look as any. We arrive in Padcalls. Wo's fidgeting with the arrow in his eye. I tell him to take it out, but he's scared. Eventually he agrees. I agree to keep it for safe keeping. Out it plops, in a pool of werecat blood. What has this wolverine man been up to? Oh well, I will try anything once and my rum stocks are low.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

In Padcalls we meet the Lord Juvar Scarsung and a number of dwarven priests of Imi, the god of trickery. They too have heard of Ineth's coronation, but offer no further clues to his whereabouts. We continue south.

15th Limestone 1069

We explore the ruined tower of Largetempests finding only a zombie leopard, which is easily put out of its misery. In Dieportals to the east, an old dwarven fort is home to priests of the Sect of Evenness, and at least a few blighted thralls. Fighting in the corridors of an old fort is sometimes risky.

A few more thralls are killed but then things take a rather bizarre turn. Wo rolls a dice at a shrine of a forgotten God and is transformed into a gigantic preying mantis by the Mine of Ambers. I have to gather all his gear and he steadfastly refuses to let me lead or indeed ride him. This could get weird. I wonder if his right eye will grow back?

We come to the bottom level and I can hear wet sounds of death from beyond the door. In his current transformed state, Wo cannot enter alone owing to his lack of opposable thumbs. I can feel his eyes glaring at me as I lead him... After killing the thralled priests, I find a charming book called In Pursuit Of The Wombat Man, and a well crafted bronze bracelet of delightful design - how lovely.

I mount my faithful steed and ride out into the dusk. He is going to be so angry.

17th Limestone 1069

The pair of us woke up from a rest at dawn by the embers of a campfire and it seems Wo has turned back into a naked wolverine man. His mangled right eye and other injuries have miraculously healed thanks to the divine intervention, but he still is missing a tooth. He rejoices at not being a one-eyed bandit anymore, before sheepishly putting his clothes back on. He feels weak and strange, and I notice how he struggles to carry his pack - some after effect of the transformation?

We press on southwards arriving soon at the dwarven fort of Confusedship, where we find an injured weaponsmith with an adamantine axe; sadly he does not wish to part with it. The lower levels of the fort are flooded with magma and there are no monsters to slay. We leave, heading in the direction of southern end of the valley. Most of the forts we encounter are empty, and worse of all, we are running low on booze.

18th Limestone 1069

Leaving the valley of The High Confederacies to the south, Wo and I spot a mountain on the horizon with what looks like the smoke from a volcano shrouding it. It is nto long before we arrive at a rather impressive fort - there is evidence here of ancient battles and the land is scorched and ashen. Many goblin and human skeletons lie in the blackened dirt. This must be the famed Ironwards, The Strifeful Hollows. We are in luck! Although the great fortress appears long abandoned and the magma moat is dry, we find amongst the stills several large pots brimming full of dwarven wine! The next few days pass in a drunken stupor.

24th Limestone 1069

We've spent far too long here amongst the skeletons of goblins and demons. The wine was moreish. Wo still feels strange after his time as a giant mantis. The curse should have passed by now - he looks as strong as he used to but he feels weak and is burdened by his pack. I had hoped a long rest would get that out of his system, but he is still pitifully slow. I promised to get him to the Citadel though, and that is what I will do.

26th Limestone 1069

We have arrived at the town of Diptramples shortly before dawn, near the famed Museum. We meet a number of strange creatures. The Baron of Stakelessons is a gorlak necromancer by the name of Nom the Cheese, and he is surrounded by chittering gremlins. One of the gremlins is massively muscled and hefts an enormous halbered four times its size. There are a few of these musclebound gremlins, and they have suspicously long teeth. Inside the keep, I find another clone of Zar Evenchirped, along with many gremlins, trinkets and artifacts relating to famous adventurers. This Zar claims to be a companion of the great Bralbaard Hammerfishes! A likely story.

The Museum itself is spectacular. They have so many priceless artifacts, they litter the very ground outside. We are greeted by the goblin Glubbo Monstergully, the Honey Fiend. Somewhat distractingly, she has a pot of honey sewn into her head and a hive of live bees buzzing around in her guts. Goblins are odd.

It appears old Glubbo has had an interesting life. She is a lady of The Most Sin, and fought for many years against The Knowing Deceiver and others. She was captured by dwarves in Archquakes, then freed when goblins sacked that old fort. She was then imprisoned by elves in Feedforded after another bungled attack, and was then rescued some years later by Bralbaard Hammerfishes the Yawning, King of the Walled Dye, who brought her to Boltspumpkin. Here she resides to this day, despite still being Lady of The Infallible Ticks of Poisonuttered! She shows us around the Museum and apologises for the mess. There are simply too many objects here to catalogue any more, hence the piles of books and objects unceremoniously dumped outside.

I leave my own offering to the Museum - the copper earring Ransackcontrols, from Livingdead. This artefact packs a lot of detail into a small space. It shows the first king of the Page of Tiredness, alongside the old Baron of Keyconjure Stukos Mournsaints slaying a hollow hunter in the mountains outside the dreaded Realmspire in 1021.

When I explain the concept to Wo, he wants to leave something too. Rummaging in his pack, he pulls out a peach wood barrel brimming with werecat blood. He had that the whole time? He nods and grins. "The Nasty Blood of Cats," he announces proudly. I don't think he quite gets it.

We sift through a few of the old books lying around. Imagine my horror when both Wo and I learn the secrets of life and death! Who leaves stuff like this just lying around? I am most surprised that Wo can even read. Time to make ourselves scarce before anyone notices. We head south east, towards the human lands, stopping at a monastery to leave our no longer needed food and water. We keep some of the booze, of course.

27th Limestone 1069

Wo and I arrive in the human town of Growlsuppers. Supposedly a human kingdom has its seat here, though from what I have heard, there have been repeated incursions of undead in the past. I am not sure what to expect. The keep is in fact deserted. Many items litter the floor. Wo is surprised to find some items that fit his small frame - apparently they used to belong to a Soldier of Night, whatever that is.

We hear a noise outside - it is the goblin Rakel Tulipspatters, Guild Representative. He seems to be the only soul here, until I hear wings flapping above. Climbing the tower to the south west, I am surprised to find Ishes Shovelscribes the Ugly, Soldier of Night Head Doctor flapping in the air on stretched leathery wings. She is missing a hand and her body is a mess of old wounds. She too has heard my husband is king, but like most of these lands, has absolutely no idea where he might be.

We continue southeast, and stumble upon a huge moose man necromancer in a mead hall, surrounded by body parts. What appears to be a bear person's tongue and ears are scattered on the floor. The great monster appears to be missing a hoof but he doesn't seem too worried about it. I gingerly offer him it back and he boasts of his mastery of dodging. I read a book about a very sinister sounding capybara man, then Wo and I take our leave, heading southwards.

We pass through several human villages inhabited by dwarven traders of the Matched Hame. Surely my husband must have travelled here. The largest town nearby is Pricerings, so we head there.

28th Limestone 1069

Pricerings. A large and impressive human town. The sun is high in the sky as we enter the keep. Do my eyes deceive me? Is this Ineth Relicheart?

He seems much changed since last we met though he greets me warmly enough. He has put on some muscle in the past few years, and is bedecked in fine armour of adamantine and blistered metal. He certainly has a regal bearing. He tells me Pricerings is now the capital of The Matched Hame, a dwarven civilisation born again, and that I am indeed his Queen.

We talk at length. I am to head to Palacework and make it ready to receive Ineth as his mountainhome. I agree to do this, but first I will fulfil my promise to Wo and bring him to The Eternal Citadel. Ineth grins warmly at this suggestion. The Citadel has a place of fondness in his heart.

I give my husband the axe I have carried from Livingdead, The Primitive Spirit - once used by Moldath Mournsaints to slay vampires in Icefury, and responsible for the death of the forgotten beast Avife. He seems unimpressed, and stores it on a pedestal. He does grant me a blistered metal axe of unparalleled craft in return - a weapon of The Page of Tiredness from The Eternal Citadel inscribed with an image of the founding of the Citadel, and of the Veneration of Nightmares, symbol of the Book of Dreams. It was a gift from Baron Degel Bloodwrath of the line of Mournsaints. I accept this gift.

Soon enough it is time to continue our journey. We will head to the Eternal Citadel for Wo, then I will retire to Palacework to make it ready for the King. We stop for the night in the hillocks of Wheeldells. It is pitch black outside the mead hall and the militia commander is fast asleep. Somewhat unsettlingly the injured Sherrif and expedition leader are not.

Vampires! We confront them, and slay them quickly, then the madnes begins. Wo gestures and they come back to life. And we slay them. And he keeps doing it. He can't help himself, giggling. A wolverine man necromancer with impulse control issues is a worrying combination. When the dust settles, between us Wo and I have killed the same two dwarves 83 times and I am covered in cuts and bruises, and my ankle is badly broken. I decide to burn the corpses before Wo gets any more ideas.

The remaining journey to The Eternal Citadel is largely uneventful, save for an ambush by a polar bear. Wo quickly stabs it in the head with his spear.

2nd Sandstone 1069

We arrive at the Citadel. I remember this place - I lived here for nearly 15 years and it is nice to see some familiar faces. I will rest here a while and tend to my wounds, before heading back north to Palacework. Wo is delighted... he scampers off trying to find Isk. For a while at least, life is good.

5th Hematite 1072

Over two years have passed since we arrived here at the Citadel. Wo has settled down. He and Isk hit it right off, and now there are little wolverine people scampering around in the grass playing with the grizzly bears. It's time that I go to Palacework and my destiny.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3836 on: February 02, 2024, 11:13:53 am »

Weirdness, Bugs And Interesting Tidbits Related to Turn 142.

1. Transformation Bug. When Wo turned back from a mantis to a wolverine man his speed was locked at 0.099, despite him being of "superior" strength. I retired for a week in Ironwards to see if the curse would wear off, but its stuck with him being impossbly weak. The only thing I could do to get him back to an average speed was to increase his strength to 6000 using DFHack.

2. So Many Crashes. There are loads of vampires, thralls and assorted undead in the valley of the High Confederacies. For some reason I had loads of crashes to desktop when entering villages here. Another thing that caused a crash was fast travelling while mounted on a mantis-transformed Wo.

3. Ghost bug. In fort mode, I sent Stukos (Moldath's son, militia commander) and his squad to attack some goblin city. When he came back he was a ghost. This is a bug related to intelligent undead. The last time I unretired my fort there was a random demon in the caverns and it killed Stukos when the military was sent to put it down. His teammates immediately resurected him as a Hollow Hunter.

When I sent him off site the game engine generated a ghost for him, but I couldn't get rid of the ghost as his name was not in my slabbing list since he died on a previous reclaim. A quick bit of googling suggested editing him in gm-editor and removing the ghost tag. This seemed to work, but he has lost all his necromantic powers and intelligent undead abilities. He now needs to eat and sleep again but the game still considers him a ghost, albeit with a flesh body.

I've created a banshee. I'll need to think of a more satisfying solution on my next turn.

Demons turning up in reclaimed forts seems to be a thing too. In addition to the demon in The Eternal Citadel, I had two demons in the reclaimed Palacework, and my adventurer encountered two "horned demons" in the ruins of Archquakes. None of those three forts had ever breached hell.

4. Unexpected death. I inadvertently killed an adventurer of the Museum. Dreamypuzzled the Eternal Soul the goblin had aligned herself with the goblins of the Knowing Deceiver and was slain by my militia on an assault on Dreadruled in which 367 goblins were killed. Sorry.

5. Vampire Polar Bear. Look, I don't even want to know what Eric Blank got up to in Icefury, but Vampire POLAR BEARS? I don't even. Check out "Sigun Toneletter" in Legends Viewer. Apparently he is a novice beekeeper among many unusual talents.

6. Random War. For some reason known only to themselves, the elves of The Squeezing Ford declared war on the Page of Tiredness in 1073, launching several attacks against Balancehammer. The two sons of their Diplomat Eliye Mobbean and her husband Lapama (who my adventurer Tirin Nightwhisper rescued from the Brutal Gloom a hundred years previously) were both killed in separate attacks by the stout defenders.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 03:00:46 pm by kesperan »

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3837 on: February 02, 2024, 03:33:51 pm »

Demons turning up in reclaimed forts seems to be a thing too. In addition to the demon in The Eternal Citadel, I had two demons in the reclaimed Palacework, and my adventurer encountered two "horned demons" in the ruins of Archquakes. None of those three forts had ever breached hell.

Guess it's good I've been releasing angels into the world by the dozens then lol

6. Random War. For some reason known only to themselves, the elves of The Squeezing Ford declared war on the Page of Tiredness in 1073, launching several attacks against Balancehammer. The two sons of their Diplomat Eliye Mobbean and her husband Lapama (who my adventurer Tirin Nightwhisper rescued from the Brutal Gloom a hundred years previously) were both killed in separate attacks by the stout defenders.

I keep wanting to do more with the elves, but I'm afraid to get an adventurer killed in one of these wars when I go and retire somewhere

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #3838 on: February 02, 2024, 04:26:12 pm »

I have no idea where the vampire polar bear came from. The only conceivable way to infect an animal would be to swap to them and make them drink the blood off the floor.

He's "married" to another polar bear (???) and currently in Trickdrink, which crashes when you enter.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2024, 05:32:03 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3839 on: February 02, 2024, 06:35:31 pm »

Well, that is new.

There are 78 polar bears in The Eternal Citadel, seemingly all descended from him and another female banished from Icefury.

Hope you manage to get your internet sorted.
Pages: 1 ... 254 255 [256] 257 258 ... 263