Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF Natural Disasters  (Read 1230 times)

Turkeytray

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
DF Natural Disasters
« on: March 15, 2020, 05:29:56 pm »

DF creators I think you should add in natural disasters that happen every 10 years(long time for a fortress. You could change the amount of time though) that would obliterate or damage your fortress. A list of these natural disasters would be:

• Tornado- It goes around your fortress and rips trees and throws them into your building. It has a chance to rip out parts of buildings.
  • Volcano Eruptions- Volcanoes erupt. Not much more to say to that
  • Earthquake- I don't know what to put here as I suck at imagining things
  • Tsunami- Only happens when you are within areas of ocean.

P.S. I don't know if these are in the game already as I looked at the wiki. I also could've just put in the wrong type of search.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF Natural Disasters
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2020, 10:04:41 pm »

Already planned for sometime during the Mythgen releases. It's one of the things the map rewrite will make possible and should go in fairly early.

And they'll be predicted by the prophets that currently don't do much, which is nice.

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 03:10:44 pm »

And they'll be predicted by the prophets that currently don't do much, which is nice.

In some worlds, prophets should only predict disasters linked to their deity's spheres, for exemple fires for a Fire-sphered deity.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2020, 04:40:53 pm »

In some worlds, prophets should only predict disasters linked to their deity's spheres, for exemple fires for a Fire-sphered deity.
Because a death god can't see a tidal wave coming?

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 02:17:45 pm »

A tidal wave that will kill a lot of people should be linked to the Death sphere as much as Water or Ocean. But the Rainbow sphere god probably shouldn't give a crap even if they see it coming.

Natural disasters could be treated as a link between spheres of Death or Chaos and relevant spheres of nature.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 02:21:43 pm by Pillbo »

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2020, 04:40:13 pm »

Seems to me it would be more straightforward to do it the other way around - the gods create natural disasters related to their spheres, and would warn their prophets before doing so.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2020, 05:02:09 pm »

Seems to me it would be more straightforward to do it the other way around - the gods create natural disasters related to their spheres, and would warn their prophets before doing so.
True.
But on the other hand, the god of rainbows might have a vested interest in keeping its followers alive, and therefore warn the prophet.

Pointless speculation at this point of course, nothing about procedurally generated religions and prophets is going to be this specific.

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2020, 10:27:31 am »

Yeah I think if procgen magic works out how Toady intends this could all be the case in different worlds. In some a rainbow god is powerful enough to know the ocean god is sending a tidal wave, and benevolent enough to care about it's followers. In some the rainbow god's scope of knowledge is limited to its sphere of influence and it is distant and uncaring about the fates of their followers. In some the death god has a role in deaths and in some its role is after the death happens.