Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adventure mode- being a Lord or king  (Read 1433 times)

mason531

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adventure mode- being a Lord or king
« on: March 15, 2020, 10:27:49 pm »

So Imagine this you go and start making your adventurer fir example I make him a dwarf and choose where I live etc what civilization my traits Etc but then there's titles option you can either start as a pheasant or work your way up or choose like a king starting rank! Now as like say a king you can have special diplomacy where you can start wars send out trade expand the fortress lead troops and army's dealing with citizens  all that good stuff I just think it would be super cool

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Adventure mode- being a Lord or king
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2020, 11:50:59 pm »

As for starting out, there are already historical kings in place. By making a new character, you'd mess with history in a way that probably isn't good for the game. That said, if you kill the king or otherwise take the throne (impersonation), there should be some things to do from there. That seems a bit specific for DFs design, though.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 01:04:54 am »

As for starting out, there are already historical kings in place. By making a new character, you'd mess with history in a way that probably isn't good for the game. That said, if you kill the king or otherwise take the throne (impersonation), there should be some things to do from there. That seems a bit specific for DFs design, though.
You should be able to play as a historical figure one day in the future. It's kind of planned. Heck, an unretire bug threw you into the bodies of historical figures in 44.12 without too much screwing up so it's technically feasible.

Also, the plans are to gradually blur the borders between site and adventure modes. Mechanically speaking, taking over (or building) a site as an adventurer, then switching to site mode and ruling it is fairly low hanging fruit (everything but the switch is already implemented - although human, elf and goblin site play needs more work to make a decent game of course).

While taking over a civilization would require another mode of play altogether (one which Toady has previously hinted about wanting to realize). I imagine somewhat akin to Crusader Kings, but with more magma.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 01:07:41 am by Shonai_Dweller »

Deno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2020, 02:11:00 pm »

A system similar to the Mount & Blade series would be cool. There you play a specific charakter, but you can also do things like build and command armies. In battle, you are still one specific charakter on the battlefield but you can command your men while fighting side by side with them. You can also get titles and land and even become a lord or even king. Itīs a pretty good hybrid between the classic strategy game systems and rpg games.