Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: BEARWASDEAD Tileset [Square, 16px or 13px, Custom Colors]  (Read 13988 times)

bearwasdead

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
BEARWASDEAD Tileset [Square, 16px or 13px, Custom Colors]
« on: March 16, 2020, 11:18:19 am »

Introduction

I think I'm finally ready to release this to the public, so here goes.
BEARWASDEAD is a tileset and color scheme that I made for myself out of total dissatisfaction with other available tilesets (as I imagine every tileset comes into existence). The tileset was made from scratch with a loose basis on a monospaced font by the name of Gohufont. I'm now releasing this set as complete under creative commons license. Feel free to take, use, and modify as desired.

Design Goals

When setting out on making this set, I gave myself a set of design goals:
    1. Text must be easily readable
    2. Overall design shouldn't deviate too far from Curses
    3. Graphical icons should reflect their most common use
    4. The tileset should be usable without extra utilities or tools

I believe I've hit these goals, but I'm always open to feedback and suggestions (many changes have been made over time based on feedback in the past).

Variants & Examples

There are 4 variants of BEARWASDEAD:
  • 16px w/ some graphics (this is the recommended set)
  • 16px pure ASCII
  • 13px w/ some graphics (recommended for small screens)
  • 13px pure ASCII
Some example screenshots can be found below.

Spoiler: 16px Menu (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: 16px In-Game (ASCII) (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: 13px Menu (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: 13px In-Game (ASCII) (click to show/hide)

Download

BEARWASDEAD on DFFD
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 04:13:53 pm by bearwasdead »

sybir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BEARWASDEAD Tileset [Square, 16px or 13px, Custom Colors]
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 08:28:43 am »

The overworld map looks very clean, it's great, I like it.

On the font, the kerning is too wide - I find it very hard to read. But that may just be me, I prefer concise fonts.

bearwasdead

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 12:28:54 pm »

The overworld map looks very clean, it's great, I like it.

On the font, the kerning is too wide - I find it very hard to read. But that may just be me, I prefer concise fonts.

Glad you like the overworld! For the font, there's a lot of compromises that have to be made when making a tileset, and I went with compromising on space between letters. The trouble is, non-square tilesets end up with better readability because it more closely matches how fonts are rendered in other contexts, but icons end up looking squished and stretched out and there's a lot less space to work with for clear graphics. With the way the base game works, there's no perfect way to work around this (or at least none that I know of), so I went with square graphics and tried to make the text look as good as I could.

If you know of other square tilesets that have more readable fonts, definitely let me know, because there may be ideas I could source for another version that makes a better balance between icons and readability.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2020, 01:35:19 pm »

I like the colors. It's like a rainy day at twilight.

bearwasdead

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 02:28:03 pm »

I like the colors. It's like a rainy day at twilight.

Thank you! Another person said it looked sorta like color on a chalkboard, but I like your description better.

Honestly, they were really difficult to nail down because of the way the game renders colors. I'm still not 100% satisfied with it because of the lack of contrast between the brown and the light colors, but any slight change can break a ton of other things (e.g. blood being rendered as brown instead of red, or dirt being rendered as red instead of brown), so I'm gonna leave it as-is.

sybir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2020, 03:46:14 am »

For hills/ n letter you could also try to make the letter symmetric with slope on both sides. It's not very visible in the text and would blend in better on world map.

Modified my current tileset, but you know the gist
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 06:30:51 am by sybir »

Jack-22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2020, 07:32:20 am »

Wow! how elegant. I like it.

bearwasdead

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2020, 11:02:24 pm »

For hills/ n letter you could also try to make the letter symmetric with slope on both sides. It's not very visible in the text and would blend in better on world map.

I fear that removing the small serif will impact the readability of text, but I might experiment with removing some of the serifs and see if I can make an even better mid-ground between readability and map coherence.

Wow! how elegant. I like it.

Thanks! Getting any kind of positive feedback on this is really nice. I've never released a project like this before and I've put a lot of time and care into it (which feels a bit silly given that it's just a few pixels in specific orders, but still).

SuperPluck

• Bay Watcher
  • Quack
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2020, 04:19:03 am »

I'm not really a fan of ASCII (i need more graphics), but your world map is a thing of beauty!

Does anybody know if there's a way of using this tileset for the map and keep using mayday during gameplay?

Jack-22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2020, 06:02:01 am »

Thanks! Getting any kind of positive feedback on this is really nice. I've never released a project like this before and I've put a lot of time and care into it (which feels a bit silly given that it's just a few pixels in specific orders, but still).

I want to inform you that I am part of the Brazilian community and will be including your tileset in the collection of our national launcher for the next version.

The quality is really great.

bearwasdead

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2020, 05:41:28 pm »

I'm not really a fan of ASCII (i need more graphics), but your world map is a thing of beauty!

Does anybody know if there's a way of using this tileset for the map and keep using mayday during gameplay?

Thanks! As far as I know, there aren't any tools that specifically only affect the world map. Closest tool would be Text Will Be Text, but that doesn't quite fit the same usage. It would, however, work with TWBT if I were to make a separate version of BEARWASDEAD that had all tiles replaced with graphics. Then you could use that all graphic version with the all ASCII version and have clear text and graphics. That might be doable for another version in the future.

I want to inform you that I am part of the Brazilian community and will be including your tileset in the collection of our national launcher for the next version.

The quality is really great.

National launcher? I've never heard of anything like that before, but that's definitely fine with me! The more people that get to use it, the better.

Jack-22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2020, 12:39:05 pm »

National launcher? I've never heard of anything like that before, but that's definitely fine with me! The more people that get to use it, the better.

Yeap. See here: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14943

It has the same features as the already known LNP. But it is a little simpler and dedicated to experimenting with tiles.

bearwasdead

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2021, 08:48:55 pm »

I've pushed a new update for BEARWASDEAD, bumping the version to 1.2.

Changes:
  • New graphics for the roots/leaves tile
  • New optional tile for tree trunks (edit TREE_TRUNK_PILLAR in d_init.txt to "10" to use)
  • Updated graphics for the pot to make it align better with the other tiles
  • Updated graphics for the instrument tile

These changes only affect the graphical versions of the tileset, so if you use the "pure" versions, you don't need to grab the update.

Examples of 16px version:

Examples of 13px version:

XzatriX

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2021, 04:37:52 am »

Very nice and clean, i love it !

Iklistkel

• Bay Watcher
  • Give-me a dam pint of wine!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2022, 11:48:15 am »

I liked a lot of the pale dark blue background and the thin text style. Fits perfectly with the thin lines of the pixel art. This tileset is one of my favorites now.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2022, 11:51:18 am by Iklistkel »
Iklistkel is just a crazy head made nickname.
Call me Balin ... and give me here that pint, let me full it up of
mushroom wine.