Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Is there something wrong with kobold caves?  (Read 3109 times)

madpathmoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Is there something wrong with kobold caves?
« on: March 17, 2020, 11:16:46 am »

Twice now in my current world I have tried to explore a kobold cave, as TWO of them have legendary slabs that were stolen.  However...  Frustratingly, the caves seem to be black holes of code or something.

The first one I went to...  Nothing.  No entrances.  I spent a long time looking, and it wasn't a zone that was hard to look around in; it was a big wide open plains, the closest thing to a cavern of any type was a big... I dunno, a gulf?  Basically like a big scoop of the ground removed, that went five or so levels down, like an empty lake.  Nothing at all there, no caves, no kobolds, etc.

Now this second one I can't even APPROACH.  If I am on the fast-travel map and try to enter or even SLEEP near this second cave, the game just enters an eternal loading screen and I can do nothing but manually stop the program.  As with the first cave, I tried several times...  Every time I try to (d) Stop after finding it on the map, my game freezes.

Unfortunately I have no way that I know of to even confirm that these two incidents are actually related...  Anyone else having this issue with caves?  If they are legitimately uninteractable, boy I would LOVE for them not to be involved in world gen where they can essentially despawn a bunch of interesting artifacts by stealing them and then evaporating from the game code (I'm exaggerating don't be pedantic)...  But I assume this is something else, maybe any of you guys can help me identify the issue(s)?

After posting this I noticed someone else made a thread discussing their inability to find dungeons, which had been removed to be worked on for the Steam release.  Is this the same deal with kobold caves?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 11:38:15 am by madpathmoth »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is there something wrong with kobold caves?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2020, 05:06:56 pm »

The entrances are really hard to find sometimes (and some possibly are suffering from missing entrances altogether). But they are there. You'll know when you find one.

Dungeons are gone until Villains work resumes (after the Steam release and any bug fixing is done). Not related to caves (Dungeons are linked to sewers and catacombs, found under cities).

Are you using TWBT (if you're using a detailed graphical set these days, you probably are)? It crashes adventurer.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 05:11:10 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

madpathmoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2020, 07:04:36 pm »

I am not using TWBT.  I don't use the LNP, and all I've changed in the .init file is the (non-graphical) tileset and priority.  I am using DFhack, so I suppose there's always a chance it's a bug with that, but again I don't think I'd be able to find out; however, it's DF that is freezing when I try to approach the cave, DFhack is still responsive (and is how I close DF when that happens).

I didn't know TWBT could cause conflict with adventurer mode though...  Thanks for the forewarning.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 12:34:04 am »

Which version are you using? Prior to 47.04 there was a population duplication bug that could cause extreme numbers of creatures to be created. Trying to go to one of the affected sites would freeze the game as it tried to load them all in.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Butterfly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2020, 06:17:47 pm »

If you want, you can very easily mod in the ability to play as a Kobold in adventure mode:

Just add [ALL_MAIN_POPS_CONTROLLABLE] underneath [ENTITY:SKULKING] in entity_default.txt in the raws. You may need to make a new world; I'm not sure if you can apply this to an existing world's raws (a more experienced modder probably knows).

That way, you will be able to start as a Kobold in one of the Kobold caves, allowing you to explore it and find the cave entrance and their treasure stash! Plus playing as a Kobold can be a lot of fun, although very difficult as you are tiny, carnivorous and can't speak/perform.

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2020, 02:44:09 am »

If you want, you can very easily mod in the ability to play as a Kobold in adventure mode:

Just add [ALL_MAIN_POPS_CONTROLLABLE] underneath [ENTITY:SKULKING] in entity_default.txt in the raws. You may need to make a new world; I'm not sure if you can apply this to an existing world's raws (a more experienced modder probably knows).

That way, you will be able to start as a Kobold in one of the Kobold caves, allowing you to explore it and find the cave entrance and their treasure stash! Plus playing as a Kobold can be a lot of fun, although very difficult as you are tiny, carnivorous and can't speak/perform.
I modded kobolds to be able to speak. Also you can't mod civs in an existing world, you'll have to make a new one.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2020, 05:09:20 am »

When walking the plain, try making camp fires. I think in cavern zones those are forbidden. So when you can't make a camp fire, then you know you hit the cave. Also on fast travel map, you can look where the entrance or cave suppose to be more or less. Usually it is a 3x3 last place without growth with central piece being downward stairs.

For lag, those can be the darn animals. Suggestion to me was to embark on those places with lag and clear it this way. Animals never overspawn fortresses to lag and then to hard crash to desktop.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2020, 12:11:18 pm »

I never had any animal overspawn problems despite making adventurer camps often and staying at them...
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2020, 03:08:38 pm »

I never had any animal overspawn problems despite making adventurer camps often and staying at them...

First sign something was wrong with animal spawns, when I cleared few caves and then returned to some to check on something. Every time I returned, the more animal spawns were present at those locations. With 20th return the lag was immense and on 30th return the sites usually crashed game to desktop.

Second notice, I had from building my own adventure location. When I did it myself, at first it was immense lag and then my site was swamped with masses and masses of animals invading it from all sides. Second time I have build site, in an other location, I had help from 8 companions. I have constructed quite nice site with 2 buildings and bridges over river. One building had even 2nd floor. At first I was killing all animals, I saw in my site. The lag was bearable. However with time there were so many birds, which I couldn't shoot down. Birds were lying down in mid-air being entirely invulnerable for shots of any kind. I noticed there was a huge pile of animal spawns in one of the sides of my adventure's site. On every approach to this place game always crashed to desktop.

Ok. Co I gave up visiting caves, monster holes and constructing my own adventurer's site. I tried to travel around. No issue with animals, it seemed to me. Then I started to fixing some conveniences from fortresses into my starting Dwarven Hillock. It took quite few walks between those sites. There were 2 Fortresses I was visiting. With time, with every passage, more and more spawns of animals showed up. Some animals even were called with time "recruits". It ended with my Dwarf wading through a forest but not of trees as of animals. Highly annoying experience is adventure mode.

Of course there is another bug with continuously re-spawning troll hordes in Dark Towers. It quickly lagged to impossibility any attempt to visit such a Dark Tower. Trolls from this Dark Tawer with time started appearing in Troll soldiers bands roaming wilderness around the map.

I wish Toady did not program this "Oh look! He is walking around map instead of fast traveling, so LETS SPAWN SOME ANIMALS ON HIS PATH" mechanics. It does not up to any fun and it bugs adventure mode with hellish lag.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 03:12:33 pm by Sarmatian123 »

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2020, 10:45:28 pm »

I quite literally never had that issue despite doing what you described.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2020, 05:58:30 am »

I have been playing this adventure mode for months. Trying things out. Grinding and such. So I visited some places like 100 times over. Maybe it doesn't show so clearly, when you do fast travel and few visits. I even visited Dark Tower around 10 times, before it lagged to hell. Unfortunate, as it was on the path between Dwarven and Human settlements. The troll spawning bug in Dark Fortress is a well acknowledged bug. You visit Dark Tower first time, there is 10000 Trolls. You visit it 10th time, then there is 100000 Trolls and place laggs to hell. Not to mention hordes of beakdogs, but beakdogs stay in Dark Fortress, when Trolls venture out into wild.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2020, 06:06:16 am »

I have been playing this adventure mode for months. Trying things out. Grinding and such. So I visited some places like 100 times over. Maybe it doesn't show so clearly, when you do fast travel and few visits. I even visited Dark Tower around 10 times, before it lagged to hell. Unfortunate, as it was on the path between Dwarven and Human settlements. The troll spawning bug in Dark Fortress is a well acknowledged bug. You visit Dark Tower first time, there is 10000 Trolls. You visit it 10th time, then there is 100000 Trolls and place laggs to hell. Not to mention hordes of beakdogs, but beakdogs stay in Dark Fortress, when Trolls venture out into wild.
So it is an issue yes. But a hundred visits? It doesn't seem like a bug that anyone who just plays the game needs to worry about.
(Meaning animal spawns at camps, not laggy dark fortresses, which need a fix badly).

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2020, 06:40:37 am »

(Meaning animal spawns at camps, not laggy dark fortresses, which need a fix badly).
I do believe such a fix will clear all bugs of this kind.
I do believe the issue is the auto-generating spawns. The mechanics despawns only untouched and unmoved spawns, before re-spawning same animals anew and in some places like adventurer's site and in unowned monsters' caves (after their monsters were killed), is just adding animal spawns on top of each other. I noticed this mechanism is also creating animals named "recruits". Historical animals, right? So creation of historical animals has to be addressed too in this fix. However this fix would stop adventure mode annoyingly crashing randomly to desktop for no apparent reasons, when moving around on map (This is also a reported bug for the same buggy mechanism imho).
« Last Edit: April 16, 2020, 06:42:27 am by Sarmatian123 »

Chai

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Ardent
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2020, 10:45:55 am »

I also stumbled on a cave and it tanked my FPS to 9 seconds per tile movement, despite my 2.3 speed. I have no idea what's in the cave "Nights of Terror" but I'm not willing to spend 3 hours walking from the edge of the site to in it then back out.