Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Elf and Human civilizations in Worldgen  (Read 1494 times)

Randomizer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Elf and Human civilizations in Worldgen
« on: March 18, 2020, 04:45:42 pm »

df 47.04
large region 257x257

I am having problems generating a world that has an abundance of Elf and Human civilizations.  In all the worlds I generate, Elf civilizations are nonexistent and human ones are scarce.  I am not sure how to tweak the worldgen parameters to solve this problem.  I tried setting the number of civilizations to 180, which is the highest it can go before causing a worldgen error.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elf and Human civilizations in Worldgen
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2020, 04:57:43 pm »

How long is your history?
Necromancers will wipe everyone out after 600 years or so. So turn them off or generate younger worlds (to be "dialed back" in a later release this year probably, currently useful for showing off the new necromancer stuff).

Increasing your number of civs will increase goblin civs too, and they'll kill your elves. But you can specify how many civs each entity starts with in the raws (entity_default.txt). Alter MAX_STARTING_CIV_NUMBER for each entity to give your worlds 2-3 times as many elf civs at start than goblins. That might work if goblins are the problem. (One or two extra goblin civs will also turn up during history as dwarves breakthrough to the Circus).

Turn up your kobold starting civs while you're there, their civs die way too fast.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 05:03:37 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2020, 09:23:55 pm »

More sites will make the world gen much slower but also give civs a better chance of survival. This can also end up with goblins steamrolling everyone, though.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2020, 11:21:54 pm »

And if you get carried away tweaking things in the raws, one thing I do is give elves high natural bow, archery and dodging skills. Seems to have some effect on their survivability in worldgen. Certainly makes them more Fun to deal with they they attack in fortress mode.

Hundreds of accurate wooden darts pelting your dwarves will mess them up, and don't try shooting through fortifications at them, 'cos you'll be shot right back. So you've gotta lure them in close if you're wanting to deal with them militarily.

Humans I've never had to worry about, they do pretty well against goblins as they are.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2020, 03:33:41 am »

DF allocates civs in a round robin fashion, i.e. it allocates one civ of each kind (in a random order) before allocating the next set of civs, until they reach the number of civs to place (or, I guess, no entity is allowed to provide any more member, unless that crashes it). The default max number of 100 means entities never run out of participants, so all of them participate in all rounds. Thus, to use the max values in an effective manner, they'll have to be tailored to the number of civs to be placed (unless you just want to keep some civs back).

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2020, 05:13:47 am »

Pat's right, as long as acceptable tiles are there (forest for elves, etc.)