Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wildermyth: It's not X-Com  (Read 1728 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Wildermyth: It's not X-Com
« on: November 07, 2021, 12:47:11 pm »

Wildermyth!  Play as intrepid adventurers, save your village, get maimed or sacrifice for damage/buffs!
I really suck at these topic starters, but hey its a good game and worth discussing!
Steam Store Page

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
Re: Wildermyth: Because DD2 sucks
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2021, 01:52:32 pm »

that thread title seems ill advised

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wildermyth: The Legend Continues
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2021, 02:04:36 pm »

Noted.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2021, 03:59:10 pm »

TBH the current thread title generates more confusion. (and I agreed with the previous one but that's neither here nor there)
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Are you a duelist?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2021, 04:02:33 pm »

It's a thread for a specific game, don't want to be talking about other games in here. There was a problem earlier with a thread referencing TWS in the title.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2021, 04:07:56 pm »

ah ah ah, but that's because of TWS-specific forum drama and how the specific TWS-thread went down in flames. In fact, it's the reason why TWS is a taboo topic in itself 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Anyways: wildermyth: long story short:

- combat largely xcomlike with a VERY original magic system.

- overmap... a bit, too. Anyways you have a party of adventurers. Stuff happens to them. They can be transformed by events. They eventually retire when they get old (except those that transform into liches). Its... good. And different.  Random campaigns are fairly decebt and improved further in a recent update with semi random story arches. I like it.

Theme feels a bit melancholic at times

Pd: liches: they are specially good as legacy characters in long games as even just one can help through new generatioms of heroes. All of mine are mages but I think they cam be warriors amd rogues too (though their usefulness as such, esp warriors, is more questionable)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2021, 04:32:28 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2021, 08:46:43 pm »

Wildermyth is indeed a good game, with a nifty magic system. It's also got a pretty decent soundtrack that's in the process of being transformed from sample-using to recorded live performance following a successful kickstarter just for the soundtrack.

Further akin to xcom, within a given campaign the enemy advances as time goes on, but unlike xcom it's much more transparent and you have a limited ability to slow it down. One can also separately adjust the tactical layer and strategic layer difficulties, which is always nice.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2021, 11:27:20 pm »

fwiw I ended up refunding the game after a few hours of play. The story was too much like the awkward, mid-2000's DnD parody comics I used to read, though I admit to watch this generate before your eyes was impressive. I just don't think this generation really ended up creating a story worth reading? I also felt like I was either playing the same maps again and again, or the differences were unimportant enough I failed to notice. I wanted this game to really open up, but the campaign map felt constricted. And unlike any good tabletop story there was no time to just dick around and get up to no good - there was a literal invasion timer hanging over my head!

Very unique though, difficult in some ways, and worth researching into if you are intrigued

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wildermyth: It's not X-Com
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2021, 12:49:20 am »

Well, I don't think we're doing the game any favors by saying its like X-Com, since its really not.  I mean, not every tactical rpg with a grid is like X-Com.
Are Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Ogre, Front Mission 3 & 4, or Romance of the Three Kingdoms VII & X like X-Com? Of course not!

I can understand a bit how the characters might be reminiscent of X-Com: They seem expendable, but they're really not.  But developing the characters is far more important than in X-Com, I'd wager.  And there just isn't time to treat them as expendable.  While they might die, those deaths should drive your campaign closer to victory, more than the loss drives you closer to defeat. 

Wildermyth is actually quite unique in the level of attachment the player should have towards their characters.  You definitely need to develop them, and most times its best to keep them around with injuries rather than "kill them off", if you intend to win.  But you also need to know when to "let them go".  Its the hardest skill to master, I wager.

Comparison to Final Fantasy Tactics makes a lot of sense to me, although those who have played Tactics Ogre might find that more fitting (I haven't).  Its not a very favorable comparison, I'm afraid, but it also isn't a 40+ hour commitment on-the-rails tied to the convoluted story.  If you want to win Wildermyth, especially on higher difficulties, you actually have to ignore some opportunities.  Timing is key.  An extra level is great, but can you afford the loss in time?

The difficulty levels are real.  I tried Walking Lunch, and it lives up to its name.  I don't think its beatable without Legacy Heroes, and GOOD Legacy Heroes at that.  Tragic Hero is beatable, but takes Player Experience.

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2021, 07:15:57 am »

Narrator: it's X-COM.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2021, 09:01:38 am »

It's DnD, actually. The whole move-action, standard-action and swift-action is straight out of 3rd edition (they're still there in 5th, but my point is- it predates Nu-Com by over a decade)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2021, 05:51:24 pm »

Yeah, it's only really like xcom in that there's a strategic and tactical layer where you work to stop hostile/invading forces. (And that is, admittedly, a setup not seen that often outside xcom.) Aside from that it's more of a DND game.

Iceblaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% less in-jokes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2021, 12:40:12 pm »

fwiw I ended up refunding the game after a few hours of play. The story was too much like the awkward, mid-2000's DnD parody comics I used to read, though I admit to watch this generate before your eyes was impressive. I just don't think this generation really ended up creating a story worth reading? I also felt like I was either playing the same maps again and again, or the differences were unimportant enough I failed to notice. I wanted this game to really open up, but the campaign map felt constricted. And unlike any good tabletop story there was no time to just dick around and get up to no good - there was a literal invasion timer hanging over my head!

Very unique though, difficult in some ways, and worth researching into if you are intrigued

I'd have to agree. Game was fun, I liked it but the story didn't really get unique enough outside of the main story beats, and it kinda felt like you didn't have time to really get to do much with the characters outside of constant life or death situations to make getting attached to them and their descendants worth it.

Will say though that those are p much my only gripes with the game, I think if you're into grid based combat you can't go wrong, it's a fun time.