Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Need of iron ore  (Read 5323 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Need of iron ore
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2020, 05:41:33 am »

Sedimentary means sedimentary rock, i.e. rock formed from sediments, not "raw" sediments. Unless you happen to have a lot of knowledge of geology (or extensive DF game play...), you'll have to check the wiki to see what type different rocks belong to.
The dwarven caravans can indeed bring some flux.

janamdo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2020, 05:51:45 am »

Thanks
Its clear that mining is useless here, so other sources are needed for getting weapons .
Perhaps i can do something with bows, but don't know the strength of archery against melee weapons.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2020, 06:11:44 am »

Thanks
Its clear that mining is useless here, so other sources are needed for getting weapons .
Perhaps i can do something with bows, but don't know the strength of archery against melee weapons.
Grind up the bad guys with weapon traps or catch them in cage traps. 10 cages, 10 trapped goblins, 10 cages full of goblinite. Enough to equip a military squad (if you don't mind them looking like goblins).

janamdo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2020, 06:36:54 am »

Grind up the bad guys with weapon traps or catch them in cage traps. 10 cages, 10 trapped goblins, 10 cages full of goblinite. Enough to equip a military squad (if you don't mind them looking like goblins).

The fortress i now in year 2 and there is no enemy showing up so far
Perhaps the goblins are sneaking around ?
Don't know if the squad with Goblin equipment their appearance in the fortress gives a unpleasant feeling for the dwarves?

Or when the squad is visiting a neighbouring settlement ( that's not possible in DF)
Good idea for setting up traps for Goblins.     

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2020, 07:42:20 am »

When the outpost liaison comes around, ask them for iron ore (if they have any): hematite, magnetite, and limonite (they'll be listed under "Stone" in the trade-deal screen). Bump the demand slider all the way up - this will ensure that the next dwarven caravan to visit your fortress will bring four of each ore, i.e. 12 boulders of iron ore total. Since each one gives 4 bars of iron when smelted, that's potentially 48 iron bars per year, which is probably enough to outfit ~4 dwarves in full armor + weapon. It's slow going, sure, but it's better than nothing. You can supplement that iron supply with bronze as well (ask for cassiterite + some copper ore - malachite, tetrahedrite, native copper).

You can also, by the same method, ask caravans for flux stone, though you'll only ever get four boulders, which is only enough for 4 bars of steel - which, again, is better than nothing.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2020, 07:55:19 am »

Remember that melting is also an option. Caravan anvils will get you some bars if you don't mind spending a bit extra for it.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2020, 09:47:12 am »

You can also, by the same method, ask caravans for flux stone, though you'll only ever get four boulders, which is only enough for 4 bars of steel - which, again, is better than nothing.

Only four? There's up to six five types of flux, depending on what's available. Is there some kind of hardcoded limit?

Also, human caravans can send trade officials now.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 07:30:10 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2020, 10:11:45 am »

Only four? There's up to six types of flux, depending on what's available. Is there some kind of hardcoded limit?

Oh yeah, sorry, you're right - I forgot to include the different types in my calculations.

And didn't know that about humans (haven't played a .47 fort yet) - that could potentially double your iron production. Also worth noting that, if I remember correctly, you can initiate trade with distant civilizations by sending a mission demanding tribute - they'll refuse, but start sending you caravans anyway. So you could have several civilizations bringing you ores if need be.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

janamdo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2020, 09:27:21 am »

And didn't know that about humans (haven't played a .47 fort yet) - that could potentially double your iron production. Also worth noting that, if I remember correctly, you can initiate trade with distant civilizations by sending a mission demanding tribute - they'll refuse, but start sending you caravans anyway. So you could have several civilizations bringing you ores if need be.
Thanks
Fantastic, can try to go further with the militairy 

janamdo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2020, 09:29:30 am »

Also, human caravans can send trade officials now.
Thanks
At the moment i am busy with the trading in and outs.

janamdo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2020, 09:31:42 am »

Remember that melting is also an option. Caravan anvils will get you some bars if you don't mind spending a bit extra for it.
Yes, melting useful too.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2020, 03:59:29 pm »

If you don't mind exploits, some items yield more metal when melted than are used to craft them.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

NordicNooob

• Bay Watcher
  • *Not actually Nordic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2020, 12:17:57 am »

I actually have an interesting suggestion, if you're particular to iron ore in future forts. Turn marble into non-flux. It's just removing the reaction class from it.

Why would you do that, you ask? It's simple: All other flux stones are sedimentary. By making marble not a flux stone, you do miss out on any extra flux you might have gotten deep underground, but you can the clear ability to see sedimentary stone layers on the embark menu, no DFhack needed! It's a rather workaround way because of that; if you don't like "cheating" that helps you without handicapping you (which is a fine line, using embark-assistant is hardly cheating), or just don't have DFhack (like if you're on the new version), this is the trick I use to get my precious iron.

Or just bring a bunch of bronze making metal at embark and use the tried and tested combo of bronze armor and steel weapons from imported iron. That's what I normally do.

Of course, neither of these are of particular use to somebody with an established fort, but I think everything else has been touched on already.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2020, 01:09:32 am »

Also remember that while steel is undoubtedly the best weapon/armour material there is also bronze (and bismuth bronze) which are pretty much equal to iron overall.  This is assuming that you can get cassiterite*/tin - but the relevance is that copper ores and cassiterite can (and usually are) found as deep metals.   So all is not lost if you do not have iron!  I've had several successful forts where the military predominantly used bronze. 

* Cassiterite is rarer than iron in my experience.

I like to embark with a bunch of cassiterite.  Cassiterite + any copper ore or native copper = 8 bronze.  You can either embark with the copper too or almost any embark with metal is going to have tetrahedrite.

You can use bronze to make anything made of metal from weapons to furniture.  Unfortunately, cassiterite is pretty rare and you may only have a couple veins of it which you won't find for quite a while.

If you want to get fancy you can also bring another relatively rare ore, bismuthinite, to make bismuth bronze instead which is basically bronze but slightly more valuable.

janamdo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2020, 04:51:51 am »

I actually have an interesting suggestion, if you're particular to iron ore in future forts. Turn marble into non-flux. It's just removing the reaction class from it.

Why would you do that, you ask? It's simple: All other flux stones are sedimentary. By making marble not a flux stone, you do miss out on any extra flux you might have gotten deep underground, but you can the clear ability to see sedimentary stone layers on the embark menu, no DFhack needed! It's a rather workaround way because of that; if you don't like "cheating" that helps you without handicapping you (which is a fine line, using embark-assistant is hardly cheating), or just don't have DFhack (like if you're on the new version), this is the trick I use to get my precious iron.

Thanks
It is by embark that Marble can be bypassed (how?)as a  flux stone ?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4