Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Need of iron ore  (Read 5211 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Need of iron ore
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2020, 05:41:36 am »

NordicNoob is talking about modding the raws.

janamdo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2020, 07:57:42 am »

Thanks
Hmm .. changing some sofware as it in the intended use is written.
Seems to me not a real challence then to enjoy DFif , if you are not consider the flux layers at embark ( in my case as unexperienced  ), because there are some creative alternatives and who knows what this brings ? 
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 09:41:50 am by janamdo »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2020, 10:59:59 am »

It depends on what you're doing. If you had a particular type of embark in mind, you may want to tweak things to allow it, rather than change directions and adapt. Early on, in particular, it may be useful to concentrate on a few things in a fortress in order to learn them, rather than trying to run in all directions at once.

janamdo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2020, 01:34:00 pm »

It depends on what you're doing. If you had a particular type of embark in mind, you may want to tweak things to allow it, rather than change directions and adapt. Early on, in particular, it may be useful to concentrate on a few things in a fortress in order to learn them, rather than trying to run in all directions at once.
It is a sort of "easy mode" then.
I am totally agree that this learning strategy can be useful, but at the other hand if there is no iron at embark at all ,then other sources of iron can be sort out as you can read here in this thread.

It is not complete yet understood by me ( has to do with the language issues) for how this tweak exactly works, but it revolves i think about Marble treated as a iron ore in not sedimentary layers and this is easily found by mining.. marble ore.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2020, 02:45:18 pm »

Thanks
It is by embark that Marble can be bypassed (how?)as a  flux stone ?

He's talking about editing the raws, but if your interest is just actually having flux, you can "bypass" the need to be overly concerned with whether your embark location has it by actually just bringing marble (or any other flux) with you when you embark. 

If you want to have steel components, though, make sure your embark has a flux layer and plural "metals."  This almost guarantees iron ore and flux.  Flux is fairly easily obtained from the dwarven caravan, though, by making sure to request it at high priority from the outpost liaison, but you'll only get it in the second year when the caravan comes around again.

janamdo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2020, 03:59:00 pm »

Thanks
It is by embark that Marble can be bypassed (how?)as a  flux stone ?

He's talking about editing the raws, but if your interest is just actually having flux, you can "bypass" the need to be overly concerned with whether your embark location has it by actually just bringing marble (or any other flux) with you when you embark. 

Thanks
I noticed in other posts about the editing "the raws",
Did not get into yet and give it attention,but it is for modding

I did not understand all of the post of @NordicNooob anout making marble a not- flux stone ( first i thought the other way around )

« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 04:19:34 pm by janamdo »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 25, 2020, 07:45:48 pm »

When choosing a location to embark - if the screen tells you flux stone is present, it can be any of the 4 types. Marble is found deeper, while the other three are found higher in sedimentary layers.

If you remove marble, then whenever the embark screen says flux stone, you know there is a sedimentary layer. It's a useful bit of information, but not at all necessary.

Keep focusing on little things for each fort. That's how I learned. Food production fort, trap fort, fun with water, cavern fort, etc.

janamdo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2020, 01:30:53 pm »

When choosing a location to embark - if the screen tells you flux stone is present, it can be any of the 4 types. Marble is found deeper, while the other three are found higher in sedimentary layers.

If you remove marble, then whenever the embark screen says flux stone, you know there is a sedimentary layer. It's a useful bit of information, but not at all necessary.

Keep focusing on little things for each fort. That's how I learned. Food production fort, trap fort, fun with water, cavern fort, etc.
Thanks
I think i undestand it now : Marble can bypassed by altering the raw offf it and it is no longer a flux stone anymore.
Seems to be easier to have the 3 sedimentary  iron ores in the embark screen.

Could be that marble in the embark the only ore is ( if not bypassed in the pre embark screen) and perhaps difficult to mine if "the raw"was not altered.

Yes, the little things ..little by little ;)   
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 05:20:29 pm by janamdo »

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2020, 03:31:11 pm »

Thanks
I think i undestand it now : Marble can bypassed by altering the raw if it and it is no longer a flux stone anymore
Seems to be easier to have the 3 sedimentary  iron ores in the embark screen

Could be that marble in the embark the only ore is ( if not bypassed in the pre embark screen) and perhaps difficult to mine?

Yes, the little things ..little by little ;)

You also can, and probably should, supplement the coal and ore you find with more from trading. Even if it's just things that melt nicely. Cheap toys, weapons, and armor are the most common.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2020, 09:20:19 pm »

I think i undestand it now : Marble can bypassed by altering the raw offf it and it is no longer a flux stone anymore.

Personally, I think any advantage to having marble not showing as flux is vastly outweighed by not having marble as flux.  I'd rather have tons of marble.

janamdo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2020, 03:14:53 am »

Personally, I think any advantage to having marble not showing as flux is vastly outweighed by not having marble as flux.  I'd rather have tons of marble.
Thanks
Don't know yet what marble has to offer against the other 3 iron ores (flux stones) : hematite, magnitite and limonite
There are more applications of using marble probably?
When there is a pre-embark screen i try to predict at forehand where the chance is to find marble
The same fore the other iron ores in what biome or surrounding ?

janamdo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2020, 03:40:43 am »

can, and probably should, supplement the coal and ore you find with more from trading. Even if it's just things that melt nicely. Cheap toys, weapons, and armor are the most common.
Thanks
In the first year of the existence of the fortress there is in autumn a dwarven caravan ( belonging to your civilization ?) visiting the fortress.

After this first year , caravans from friendly civilizations  (dwarf, human and elven) will visit  the fortress( the second year ,there 3 caravans to aspect..yearly)

To accelrate the trading you could send out "mission dwarfs" as soon as possible at the start of the fortress  to get more caravans coming to the fortress.
Don't know how long it takes for these "mission caravans" to arrive at the fortress.     

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2020, 05:03:29 am »

Don't know yet what marble has to offer against the other 3 iron ores (flux stones) : hematite, magnitite and limonite
To be clear:
Iron ores are hematite, magnitite, and limonite.
Flux stones are marble, calcite, dolomite, chalk, and limestone.

Flux and iron are both needed to produce steel, alongside refined coal.

Marble has a nice value for the products it makes, so that might be part of it.

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2020, 06:04:40 am »

I seem to recall that marble is a lot closer to the surface in the mountain biomes (because, you know, no sediment). The problem is often that it's the sedimentary layers (and I see igneous extrusive, marble isn't that) where the iron ores get generated, so often embarking in lower areas is more desirable (But that in turn gets you aquifers more easily).

But there was another thing marble was good for, I noticed recently what was it... *checks* Ah, quicklime. In case you want to start a parchment industry :)
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

janamdo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2020, 07:33:12 am »

To be clear:
Iron ores are hematite, magnitite, and limonite.
Flux stones are marble, calcite, dolomite, chalk, and limestone.

Flux and iron are both needed to produce steel, alongside refined coal.

Marble has a nice value for the products it makes, so that might be part of it.
Thanks
Good to clarify this from you , flux stones are not iron ores.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4