Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How are ocean waves generated ?  (Read 1746 times)

Mysterius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How are ocean waves generated ?
« on: March 21, 2020, 05:34:17 am »

Hello,

I'm planning to build a new fort on the ocean with a bridge linking it to the shore.
In the few tests I did with dfhack, there were no waves around my fort alone in the middle of the ocean. I would have LOVED to have a lone fort on the water with waves crashing on its walls :).

Are waves generated only at the start of the map? Are they not dynamic and adapt to terrain ?

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How are ocean waves generated ?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 03:00:09 pm »

I think waves are supposed to be generated continuously, or nearly continuously. The shape of the wave is generated to match the terrain which it hits, so that the whole wave hits land at once.

Might seem like a silly question, but are you entirely sure you've actually embarked next to the ocean?  :P
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 03:14:13 pm »

i wonder if retiring or abandoning a fort like that and reclaiming it would cause waves to lap against it . . .
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2020, 06:35:12 pm »

In the few tests I did with dfhack, there were no waves around my fort alone in the middle of the ocean.
Are you saying that there are no waves on the ocean, or just that there are none near the fort you built in the ocean?

About how many tiles from shore did you built the fort?
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Dragofire

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified genius and snek lover.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 11:43:40 am »

They are generated on beach tiles, not ocean water tiles. They only appear on land.
My Stuff
My Dragon Cave Scroll
We could just lie on all of our maps, or we could flood Europe.
The standard sense of Mario is that he won't murder someone but isn't good enough to not smash bugs. This is engraved into everyone’s mind.
There was one slight problem with the climb, and that was the spontaneous combustion.

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 01:34:59 am »

Some shores just have no waves.

Mysterius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2020, 05:17:49 pm »

I may not have been entirely clear. I would have shown you but I don't have the save anymore.

The situation : I embarked on an ocean shore. There are waves hitting the shores.
The project : I want to build a fortress over the ocean. The plan is to build a huge obsidian pillar by casting magma over the water and then build a castle on that pillar, in the middle of the ocean.
What I expected : I expected waves to generate around the new land (the obsidian pillar/castle) and crash on the castle walls.

They don't, no waves are generated. It's like if that new land wasn't taken into consideration by the wave generator.
Is that working as intended ?

This is a serious Dwarven Physics question people !

i wonder if retiring or abandoning a fort like that and reclaiming it would cause waves to lap against it . . .

I'll try !
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 05:20:07 pm by Mysterius »

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2020, 07:22:20 pm »

What happened when the line of "~"s reached the obsidian structure? Did they simply pass through?

Mysterius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2020, 09:29:46 am »

The waves start too close to the shore. My fortress is further into the ocean so there are no waves forming at this distance.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 09:43:45 am by Mysterius »

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2020, 09:59:21 am »

More wonderful than the lore of old men and the lore of books is the secret lore of ocean!

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2020, 03:11:40 pm »

I know this won't work no matter what (maybe a dfhack script cannfix this??) but i wanted to confirm that you built spires that extended underwater, correct?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Mysterius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2020, 02:55:37 am »

I did! Using obsidian and yes, with the help of dfhack.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2020, 04:39:31 am »

After some testing... At creation, the wave matches the beach. If you modify the shore, by channeling it, the created waves stay in the original shape. After the beach has been channeled, if you retire and unretire, or abandon and reclaim, the created waves still match the original shore. Also, the wave crest will can be seen flowing over floors built over the water, but not over bridges.

So, if you want waves crashing against your fort's walls, you may need build the fort where the waves are, and then remove the beach.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Garfunkel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2020, 11:30:26 am »

Yes, waves are actually very annoying. They will magically pass through walls and floors to hit the original beach tiles. In my experience, it is impossible to create a seawall that actually fulfills its purpose.

Mysterius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2020, 03:19:25 pm »

After some testing... At creation, the wave matches the beach. If you modify the shore, by channeling it, the created waves stay in the original shape. After the beach has been channeled, if you retire and unretire, or abandon and reclaim, the created waves still match the original shore. Also, the wave crest will can be seen flowing over floors built over the water, but not over bridges.

So, if you want waves crashing against your fort's walls, you may need build the fort where the waves are, and then remove the beach.

Thanks for the dwarven experiment :).