Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: All Dwarves in Dwarf Fortress have to go crazy and die! Everyone must die!  (Read 12410 times)

Dragonborn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've successfully turned around a dwarf "under a great deal of stress" back to normal in the latest version.  So it can be done.  Give them some time off from jobs, let them socialize, pray, and give them a personal bedroom with engraved walls if you can. If they've got simple unmet needs like "practicing a craft" or military ones, queue up the appropriate jobs, and temporarily put them in a military squad.  It didn't take me longer than a few seasons for me to fix this particular dwarf that I had

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, don't take me wrong. I turned around 2 out of 3 depressed Dwarves with "make bone bolt in a temple" therapy and I still had to exile 25 and atom smash 6.

About last batches of psychos of which I had to kill 2 of them already. They are screaming "I have to help someone! I feel so dejected!". So,  maybe this focus thing, shares with mood some activities? Although those outbursts of depression usually happen after Dwarves venture outside under the sun and rain for some reason. Even now, when I moved them all into building constructed on surface, so they do not get any cave adaptation any more.

mko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So you had cave adapted dwarves that were occasionally on surface + weather? BTW, what kind of weather? Just rain or something worse like vile goo or whatever?

Because in a my current fort stress levels are improving - despite meager bedrooms, hauling piles of dead bodies and lack of any luxuries.

It seems that you failed to handle well cave adaptation. Though rain may have too big effect on mood anyway.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So you had cave adapted dwarves that were occasionally on surface + weather? BTW, what kind of weather? Just rain or something worse like vile goo or whatever?

Because in a my current fort stress levels are improving - despite meager bedrooms, hauling piles of dead bodies and lack of any luxuries.

It seems that you failed to handle well cave adaptation. Though rain may have too big effect on mood anyway.

Indeed. Cave adaptation was wrecking havoc. Sun is listed as rain on many Dwarves, as character changing factor now. I have 3-levels high bunker on surface now and cave adaptation is only rarely on. There is lots of less stress cases too (after removing 30+ Dwarves from game). It rains on this map pretty frequently, alike once every month, though climate is listed as temperate and not wet. Mountain weather? :)

Rain is a huge mood. Sun or rotting cloths can change 1-2 character traits, but rain can do like 10 of them on some Dwarves. Rain gets too much to play with depression imho and rain is always on, on every embark.

When I breach the caves for 2nd time, sentient corpses produced by forgotten beasts will probably cause new wave of red arrow cancer...

Dracko81

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If you don't want rain, then embark on in a desert.  You don't get rain there, but you also have less or no trees.

But stress does seem to be hard to handle in some cases.  Take a look at this dwarf:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

She is sitting at 16.4k stress right now.  With the next closest at 3k, everyone else is at 0 or negative with 70+ dwarves.

She was sitting at around 15k for over a year and pushing her to do crafts and everything has kept her at that point.  But now it has increased by 1k within a month for no apparent reason, not to mention that she got the can now handle stress personality trait.  I even imported her favourite food/drink to help, set up a waterfall, improved her quarters, etc.

I've just set up a library and she is about to do some military training.

But there does seem to be something possibly hidden that is slowing the decrease in stress.  I suspect she is a complete lost cause now after keeping her at 15k for a few years and it now increasing again.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have mead and 18 drinks in my fortress and I can not get a single one to become euphoric.

I see the same pattern. Dwelling about rain/storm and some red angry line from discussion.
Though I had Dwarves easy to depress and coming from it and some, when pop up with red arrow after 6 months of curation do tantrum or slip into oblivion.
Now I kill 1 Dwarf every 1 season and I think this depression from game is slowly going into me.

For years, I played for every Dwarf to survive and thrive. It was great. I liked it.
Though year ago I started playing adventure, because I never did before.
Crashes to desktop on every place over-spawn with animals forced me to eventually abandon it entirely. Fun mode, but impossibly bugged to be played longer time.
I got this year back, with new computer, a long project of mine. I got just right map and largest embark. After 5 game-years some bug appeared making mining and constructing an impossibly tedious save/load business.

So, I got into an old embark on a very small map with the new stress mechanics. The cancer of red arrows surprised me. How fast and how many. Instead of playing the game, I started managing their psychosis. At beginning I was banishing sickest Dwarves, who were spiraling down. After 25 of them gone, I had to consider their psychosis will be copied by game ruining immigrant waves. So I started doing unthinkable. Instead of burying dead Dwarves in coffins like heroes, I started killing them myself like they were just some filthy Goblins. DF turned into a small nazi state simulator with killing of all mentally ill and this worries me, because I do not like the way things go in real life with eugenics in medicine in countries like Belgium and Holland under cover and protection of all powerful EU.

IMHO no matter how much Toady is glued to psycho mechanism, it should be permanently disabled, unless he finds some time after magic release to actually rewrite this entire mechanics and make it functional.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 07:43:20 pm by Sarmatian123 »

Deus_Vult

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I see no problem with this. I wish they made relationships (friendships, marriage, etc, which they still dont), but fort mode is easy as it is.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile

I see no problem with this. I wish they made relationships (friendships, marriage, etc, which they still dont), but fort mode is easy as it is.

They're better at it now. It seems Tavern activity doesn't generate friendship like an empty meeting hall does. You want dwarves to be next to each other and 'No job' to get friendships fast.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

For years, I played for every Dwarf to survive and thrive. It was great. I liked it.

I've given up and just launch unhappy dwarves into magma.  I don't like doing it.  I don't like that it's the only thing to do.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've given up and just launch unhappy dwarves into magma.  I don't like doing it.  I don't like that it's the only thing to do.

I just formed squad on one depressed Dwarf lifted to captain.
Made the squad wear a uniform in foreign clothing unavailable in my fortress like loincloth.
Replace clothing. Exact matches.
At the bottom of my mass-pit I have a 10x9 bridge. Access to this bottom is through 2x1 bridge.
When I spot red arrow it is an instant draft (mostly to captain position through noble screen)
and they go to meeting area, drop all cloths and go to station at the bottom of the  mass-pit.
Then I close access. Remove from squad (noble menu usually).
 Remove any naming scheme I had on them and like in case game somehow copies settings from dead Dwarves.
Some Dwarf pulls the lever for bottom bridge and problem is over instantly.
No need for magma access or worrying what artisan will do, when his masterworks is destroyed.
Depressing slab at the end, when one week passed. Master quality slabs of course.

This is how I was eliminating vampires in past btw.
Vampires were monsters. Goblins and Trolls were evil. Sick Dwarves are not monsters or evil.
Eugenics sucks, but you can't heal them all from stress with monthly bone bolt crafting
and this game mechanics seems to be very badly designed and is missing a lot in features in implementation.
If Toady insists in keeping psycho mechanics in, then he better spend 6 months writing it fully first (as a full feature like magic).

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't like this at all, though.  It is cruel and not like the way I wish to view dwarves as individuals.  I feel like a monster doing this.  I've more or less stopped playing this game because I don't like treating individuals like this.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don't like this at all, though.  It is cruel and not like the way I wish to view dwarves as individuals.  I feel like a monster doing this.  I've more or less stopped playing this game because I don't like treating individuals like this.
You don't have to do this at all. Send stressed out dwarves to live out their old age in the hillocks.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Me too and that saddens me, because there is no other way to play this game now. Not in vanilla.

I never use (or used) DFHack, so I have no alternative option, but to exterminate red arrowed Dwarves like pestilence bringing rats. Still it sucks, when you squash your legendary to be replaced by some dubbling immigrant. There suppose to exist some penalty for dying and missing Dwarves, before immigrants refuse to arrive. It seems it needs a great massacre of your Dwarves to trigger, if it ever triggers. If one missing/killed Dwarf would cancel all immigrants for next 10 years, then I would see some reason to keep red arrowed Dwarf around, as long as dwarfly possible.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You don't need to kill them.  Just banish them, if that's easier on your conscience.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You don't need to kill them.  Just banish them, if that's easier on your conscience.

It would be.
However banishment is bugged and they keep returning.
However, if sending them to a hillock works, then game copies their attributes over new immigrants with their mental state.
Think about next embark on the same map. You will get those banished back on your first non-scripted immigrant waves.
It's a cancer. If you let it spread, then playing fun is over. Permanently.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7