Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: All Dwarves in Dwarf Fortress have to go crazy and die! Everyone must die!  (Read 12593 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

And you can clear stress with Dfhack too. It's kind of why Dfhack exists, to help people who get frustrated with existing bugs play and enjoy the game. Otherwise they end up repeatedly complaining how unfun the game is every day on the forum as if that will magically make things better.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You are right Pillbo. 0:30:60 should remove the red arrows until the fix.
In this thread, I was trying to figure the stress issue out. Specially how focus impacts stress, as people were saying it doesn't, but indirectly it actually does. I am playing long fortresses usually. I spend months playing one embark at a time. It was just so annoying to deal with all those legendary Dwarves, who after decades of resisting stress, cave adaptation and so on were going bonkers for no apparent reason, you know. I put so many into exile and then under atom smasher, that I simply needed to discover the root cause of it.
Thanks for all info, links, hints and explaining how things work with stress to you and others.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

EUPHORIC due to inebriation!!! :D
0:30:60 works miracles in my old 0.40.24 save played on 0.47.0. Thanks Pillbo! After 23 ingame-years my Dwarves are finally getting euphoric on the 20 alcohols I am providing to them. Yay! :D
Will this also bring, after those 23 ingame-years, first strange mood to my Dwarves? I let you know.

I was poking and prodding raw/objects and decided to copy some of the 0.47.04 files into this save. After I did water-bucket trick, I finally got into my game first quivers. Got few medics to become scholars and now I wait for the first book. It can be years...

No red arrows so far, but I think 0:30:60 is simply disabling red arrows and enabling euphoria due to inebriation. :)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

EUPHORIC due to inebriation!!! :D
0:30:60 works miracles in my old 0.40.24 save played on 0.47.0. Thanks Pillbo! After 23 ingame-years my Dwarves are finally getting euphoric on the 20 alcohols I am providing to them. Yay! :D
Will this also bring, after those 23 ingame-years, first strange mood to my Dwarves? I let you know.

I was poking and prodding raw/objects and decided to copy some of the 0.47.04 files into this save. After I did water-bucket trick, I finally got into my game first quivers. Got few medics to become scholars and now I wait for the first book. It can be years...

No red arrows so far, but I think 0:30:60 is simply disabling red arrows and enabling euphoria due to inebriation. :)
Pretty sure you can get euphoric from booze without those settings for stress vulnerability. I have two sets of dwarves, one with vanilla stress vulnerability settings and another who are more prone to stress (but enjoy life more - kind of an experiment). They both get euphoric from drinking.

But yes, those settings work great as a simple workaround for now.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 05:15:54 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not in my 0.40.24 save. Dwarves were content at most.

And I spoke too soon. Red Arrow Dwarf in my fortress appeared. "She is frequently depressed", after being caught in rain in 20 (it is year 35 now). It seems giving birth to a child made her stressed. Rain was not an issue, it seems, after this lone mood alteration.

I was under impression 0:30:60 cleared the red arrow streak. How odd.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think they'll still get stressed eventually even with the modifier Especially after personality changes. It's just much slower and mostly easier to deal with.

After all, even if the system gets completely fixed, you won't ever get a vanilla fortress in which a prone-to-stress dwarf not given enough care won't get stressed. That's the old system this whole mess was trying to fix.

Well, Mythgen will likely have sliders to turn off madness and death for those who just want to build stuff, so you might get a no-stress vanilla game someday.

0:0:0 should give you the ultimate stress free dwarves.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 05:48:57 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm glad it's helping and I hope you can enjoy the game a little more this way.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile

I'm sure many have done this before, and I'm not sure how it works for dwarfs that have gone too far
down the deep end of stress, but it works for me when they get their stress building up.

Give them a pick and let them do some mining for a while. Most dwarfs love mining and it makes them happy!

And as a side-note, take a miner that is ecstatic because they've been mining for so long, and put them in
one of the roles that is stressing out the other dwarfs for a while.

Yes, this requires some micromanagement, and yes, you may not want to take them away from their regular jobs,
but it's worth trying.
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Currently I have 4 psycho Dwarves. One of them is miner. The only mining job available: channeling surface. :D They are so dejected by rain. :D

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I have set [PERSONALITY:STRESS_VULNERABILITY:0:30:60].
This setting suppose to stop Dwarves to get red arrows, but I still get them.
This setting suppose to stop Dwarves going into depression, but they still sink into depression.
I have tones of good moodlets, including euphoric due inebriation, blissful sleeping in fantastic bedroom, delighted (rare) after eating legendary meal or satisfied at work (mining).

http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15022

See the mood modifiers, the Dwarf received:
-due to being caught in the rain in 25
-a strengthening after being caught in the rain in 33
-a turn-around after being caught in the rain in 31
-a strengthening after being caught in the rain in 22
-a strengthening after being caught in the rain in 23
-after being caught in the rain in 18
-after cloths rot off of her body in 17
-a turn-around after being caught in the rain in 31
-a turn-around after clothes rot off of her body in 15

It seems it is ok for stress to add for experiencing traumatic experience.
However question is clear, why rain or old rags falling off body are traumatic experience on a Dwarf? Isn't it in a way grave exaggeration?
Why, every time stress happens, it has such a huge chance to change Dwarf's personality in a drastic way for worse?

So, should I change this setting entirely to 0:0:0 until, this stress mechanics is addressed by Toady?

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile

Don't take this as the absolute truth, but the post on reddit about this said:

0:45:100    (min:median:max) default
0:20:50      was suggested, because 50 or below would mean none would get stressed.

So your 0:30:60  still leaves "10" over the maximum, so some will still get red arrows.

Maybe you already tried a maximum of 50 or less?
I have no idea if what the reddit post said was true or not, it was from 4 years ago.
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

0:0:0 gives you no stress.
0:30:60 gives you what some believe to be a more balanced stress, closer to what vanilla intends. Whoever claimed that it removed stress from the game lied.

Stress is intentional. Red arrows indicate stress. It's not a bug, it's stress. It will never go away no matter how well it's fixed so long as you mess up your dorf management.

Personally I think 0:30:60 still breaks down over the long-term. I added pleasure inducing cats. That works pretty well (even on my stress-prone 0:65:100 wild dwarves).
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 05:52:07 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Gigaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Has anyone else seen the occurrence of "He/She was angry dwelling upon ." Therapist says This is an unknown thought, please report it, and that this has occurred 260 times in the last week for one particular unhappy dwarf. I'm using the latest version with DFhack.

Edit: I think now it's very likely that this bad thought is caused by missing a guild hall or a specific temple, and that there's simply a missing label in the unit screen.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 05:42:41 am by Gigaz »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Has anyone else seen the occurrence of "He/She was angry dwelling upon ." Therapist says This is an unknown thought, please report it, and that this has occurred 260 times in the last week for one particular unhappy dwarf. I'm using the latest version with DFhack.

Edit: I think now it's very likely that this bad thought is caused by missing a guild hall or a specific temple, and that there's simply a missing label in the unit screen.
Yes, this is on the bug tracker. Guild related thoughts and art images come up blank.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

When I was hit by red arrow forest first time, the missing guild halls was main issue in their thoughts. So yes.
I loaded from earlier save and never missed petition asking for 3x3 space with lever in the middle tile with master quality steel mechanisms.
I do not even care, for how many Dwarves they ask for. 3x3 is what they all will always get. With special lever in the middle. DONE! :P :D
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7