Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The Neopets Mod! -is on hiatus again. sorry friends  (Read 3721 times)

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
The Neopets Mod! -is on hiatus again. sorry friends
« on: March 23, 2020, 11:29:13 am »

Welcome to the page for the Neopets mod!

We're turning this into something playable! It's been in development for a while now, but post-hiatus has been incredible. I'm aiming for a potential release in March.

2/22: I've made a discussion about wild neopets. I could use some input on what would be best for their behavior.

3/6: Dr sloths minions and faeries are made. Writing wiki pages is taking a lot of time, but I'm almost done with that too. I'm hoping to get a rough draft of all the entities done. Atm creating color variants for neopets (ie desert -species-, or maraquan -x-, etc) aren't my priority, just getting the entities themselves written. I'm going to reuse the Neopian creature for the time being, just so I can get something going. I'd like for color variants to be a thing at some point, but I'm not sure if any will make it into the first release. Tbd. Petpets are another thing that've totally fallen off the radar for now unfortunately. But things are happening! I'm trying to get this thing in a fun, playable condition. If you really want like, technically it's playable now (and has been), but it needs more work in my opinion before an actual release. The state it is in now is still fun nevertheless.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 01:09:01 pm by Toxicshadow »
'ere the Chias get hungry...

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: Any interest in a Neopets mod?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2020, 12:56:53 pm »

I like the idea of a Neopets mod. I think I'd prefer having it as the default entities/ Neopet creatures system. That way it would mix well with the Pokemon mod, and like you said, civilized Neopets would only be able to spawn a few entities per world.

By the way, I don't think wild animals actually hunt each other during worldgen, so you don't need to worry about that.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2020, 01:30:53 pm »

I remember someone having that idea on this forum some months ago, but I don’t think anything ultimately came out of it... here’s the thread: www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=174261.msg7995192#msg7995192

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 02:17:49 pm »

By the way, I don't think wild animals actually hunt each other during worldgen, so you don't need to worry about that.
Perfect.
I remember someone having that idea on this forum some months ago, but I don’t think anything ultimately came out of it... here’s the thread: www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=174261.msg7995192#msg7995192
Thanks for sharing! I wasn't aware.

Looking at a future development phase, anyone have any battledome opponents they'd like to see as megabeasts or semi-megabeasts? Obviously Snowager, that's a classic. But aside from that, any input?

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 05:36:00 am »

You're probably better off keeping the default entities. It's problematic to make a world with too many civilized races, since the game only spawns a limited number of entities per world, so if each creature is an entity only a fraction of them will actually show up in the game.

You can make them like animal people, though, if you want them to be playable in Adventure Mode.

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 11:57:57 am »

You're probably better off keeping the default entities. It's problematic to make a world with too many civilized races, since the game only spawns a limited number of entities per world, so if each creature is an entity only a fraction of them will actually show up in the game.

You can make them like animal people, though, if you want them to be playable in Adventure Mode.
I've considered making them like animal people. My concern with it is that only a few species would actually be able to function. Many species are quadrupeds for example, and lack the ability to climb or grasp. Also, many, if not most, are really small. While it could be fun playing as a cute little shoyru with a spear, you're not going to be able to accomplish much aside from slaughtering small animals. It's still to be decided honestly. Giving them intelligence would allow me to give them ethics and values which would really help add flavor. I think I'll visit the idea once I get to the more intensive testing phase. Right now I've yet to test them in combat or anything, I've just been making sure they're set up correctly.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2020, 12:11:28 pm »

You could look at Brolol’s dogs for the personality side of things. Animals actually have full personalities*, they’re just partially hidden. You could program your neopets with set personality values.

*To the point that there’s been a bug before caused by animals becoming religious and getting angry that they can’t pray.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
Re: The Neopets Mod (in-development)
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2020, 01:12:04 pm »

Well friends, we're about 1/6th of the way through the first development phase. I expect to be done with this phase sometime around the middle of next month, possibly closer to the end of next month.

I've got another question/idea I'd like to pose:  What if I made entities similar to the different lands found in Neopia? For example, Terror Mountain folks would worship Snowager, and come raiding with pets from Terror Mountain, such as Bruce and Cybunny. Thoughts?
There would still be a good number of entities but not nearly as many as making each species their own entity - that's just a bad idea.

CohentheBarbarian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2020, 04:19:31 pm »

Would any work as vermin?

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2020, 09:23:08 am »

Would any work as vermin?
That's my idea for petpets. I'm not sure if it'll actually be implemented, it's just too far in the future for me to say. I consider the final stages in the mod to be expansion stages, and I'm not really concerned with them yet.

Side note: morphing potions could be something to look forward to, using a transformation syndrome. I've also had ideas for making neggs collectable, perhaps as wild berries that you get from plant gathering rather than farming. Both are still to be decided but the ideas are there :)

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2020, 01:24:00 pm »

1/2 of the way through the first phase. My apologies for the slow development, some things have come up in my personal life. Nevertheless I'm still making progress. Question: should Hissi have venom? They are similar to a snake after all, but I'm not sure they really need it.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 01:33:27 pm by Toxicshadow »

cross33

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2020, 03:07:03 pm »

I love this idea so much. Neopets has always had this wonderful dichotomy where you can tell there's heavy dark undertones hidden behind the colorful imagery and kid friendly language. However in the background there's war, battle, loss and an entire real breathing world. If this gets made I would think it's basically a look at the Neopia that all of the Neopians try to hide from the player.

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2020, 01:13:57 pm »

I love this idea so much. Neopets has always had this wonderful dichotomy where you can tell there's heavy dark undertones hidden behind the colorful imagery and kid friendly language. However in the background there's war, battle, loss and an entire real breathing world. If this gets made I would think it's basically a look at the Neopia that all of the Neopians try to hide from the player.
Thank you! I feel the same way, Neopets masks it to be childfriendly but the lore itself implies quite a lot. I've stated before, I think it'll be a beautiful contrast between the colorful, friendly appearance of Neopets, and the brutal nature of DF.

Anyways, another quick dev update: 2/3rds through making all the species. Progress is being made, albeit slower than anticipated. My apologies for making a bad estimate earlier about when this phase will be finished, I was being overly optimistic and neglected to take into account real-life occurrences. Nevertheless, we'll get there.

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2020, 08:43:28 pm »

Sorry for off-topic, but what vanilla exotic pets was used as pack animals in real life? I want remove common domestics from elves due to they nature politics domestication and selection may be forbidden.

Toxicshadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • github
Re: The Neopets Mod!
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2021, 11:09:49 pm »

Alright, it's a new year, I've got a new face for the OP, and I've been working on this again for a week now. Resurrecting the thread because this mod ain't dead!
Pages: [1] 2