Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Adilbomrek - Shadeshoots The Bunker of Steel  (Read 1689 times)

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Adilbomrek - Shadeshoots The Bunker of Steel
« on: March 24, 2020, 08:08:33 am »

Sequel to this fort, but you don't need to read that to follow this post: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=175845.0

Here's a collection of World pictures: https://imgur.com/a/05DUSnh

If you want a dwarf named let me know!

On the edge of the savage Jungles of Sculpting was a small praire, and on the side of a small hill were two copper doors
On one door it reads "DEATH TO ALL ELVES" and the other "GLORY TO DAS REG"
This is Shadeshoots! A bunker of some of the last survivors of the Crystal of Gloves

It was founded by 7 military dwarves. The colonel and her cohorts of axemen, crossbowdwarves and the medic!
Before they could migrate there the fortress of HelmedMystery was destroyed by the elves.
Out of the 300 dwarves left in Das Reg 100 of them were there, and only a few survived.

The fort was intended to be a peaceful city, an olive branch to the elves, in hopes that they would all unite to stand against the ever expanding goblin empire.

Now all dead it would be done the Colonel's way.No city. No center of art and learning.
No. this was a bunker. Soldiers would be trained and equipped in steel, and the neighboring humans(who are at war with the elves too) would be equipped with steel so that they might dominate them.

The squad of founders were all close friends other than the strange dwarf Endok.
The only worshipper of the dwarven god of war. Most of his worshipers were dour and cruel, but Endok was not. He was lazy, jovial and happy. To him all of this was doomed to end in more tragedy and war and so he saw no reason to do anything more than he had to and to enjoy himself to the most. A very undwarf-life sentiment indeed!
Endok died in year three. Had a mining accident, and the river had frozen. He died of dehydration only a day before they found more water. His death was tragic, absurd and pointless much like him

The bunker was covered in makeshift traps that would soon be replaced by steel ones.
Forges flared non-stop and the ever-expanding jungle was being harvested to expand this endless industry.

This entire fort will be made of steel! Doors, walls, traps, etc
Main export: Steel weapons and armor! I want to equip all the neighboring nations with steel!

Here's some pics of the fort as it is being developed!
https://imgur.com/gallery/u8qgB1C

I basically want to make this into a large trap hall both from the surface to the living quarters
and also from the bottom of the world back up to the living quarters!
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 10:32:14 am by Maloy »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Adilbomrek - Shadeshoots The Bunker of Steel
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 10:43:15 pm »

The only worshipper of the dwarven god of war. Most of his worshipers were dour and cruel, but Endok was not. He was lazy, jovial and happy. To him all of this was doomed to end in more tragedy and war and so he saw no reason to do anything more than he had to and to enjoy himself to the most. A very undwarf-life sentiment indeed!
Endok died in year three. Had a mining accident, and the river had frozen. He died of dehydration only a day before they found more water. His death was tragic, absurd and pointless much like him

hahaha it's like reading russian literature, but with dwarves

Main export: Steel weapons and armor! I want to equip all the neighboring nations with steel!

You madman! Do you have a plan for your industry? Making enough steel to fully steel your full-steel fortress might be difficult.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2020, 04:38:09 pm »

hahaha it's like reading russian literature, but with dwarves

You madman! Do you have a plan for your industry? Making enough steel to fully steel your full-steel fortress might be difficult.

Honestly, I'm just using an exploit I learned of recently and wanted to play around with. Head canon is that it is dwarf metal working magic

Anyway:
One steel bar creates one menacing steel spike
Melting TWO steel menacing spikes will return you 3 steel bars rather than 2

I'm multiplying with this now, and so I will make and then melt 100 steel spikes(making my weaponsmiths legendary) and get a return of 50 extra which I will use for all extra production outside of making and melting more steel spikes.

Until I get magma up to the fort this will use an absolutely insane amount of lumber! Fortunately this is a jungle with heavy vegetation and the humans and dwarves bring tons more!

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2020, 05:07:59 pm »

The fort advances evenly!
All of our first military squad are clad in steel armor, and our first smith created an artifact steel helmet!

It was agreed amongst all that the militia dwarf Catten should receive the helmet! Catten is a veteran who fought at Gutterevil. It was conquered by the dwarves and then hit with endless rebellions while the neighboring goblin nation sent thousands to take it. The endless onslought of war left few survivors and Catten is one!

She has a criminal record, but has recovered from her poor mental state. Her early military days had her being a rowdy and violent dwarf which caused her to frequently end up in prison, but many years, battles, and losses have left her questioning herself on even the simplest decisions. Although one of the greatest warriors in the world you wouldn't know it by speaking with her.
The dwarves wanted this legend to become their mayor, and just as well for the Colonel!
This bunker has filled up with civilians making demands left and right!
Catten being the mayor will keep those stupid civilian dwarves off of the Colonel while she preps for the campaign against the elves!!

5 years have passed, and almost all of our artifacts have been stolen while I was not looking! We even stored them in the meeting hall to ensure no Kea could reach them! Stupid civilians had one job!

Speaking of them they keep making ridiculous demands. Farmer guildhalls, ranger, animal trainer, craftsdwarf halls! It'd be one thing if they just wanted a place to meet, but these fools want grand halls covered in gold and platinum! Ridiculous! Civilians may outnumber soldiers 4 - 1 but that doesn't mean we should sacrifice making our bunker safe just to make them happy! We have to finish covering the surface entrance with traps we don't have the dwarves for a knock down drag out fight with any army! We need them to wear themselves down reaching our military

and so our forges fire day and night. Our handful of smiths working constantly making more steel for us. The smiths threatened a riot if we continued to melt their masterworks for more steel and so we set those aside intentionally to be sold to the merchants so they know this bunker is where they want to head!

We broke through the first cavern layer and praise Ugosh(Lord of Caverns) that we found an underground volcano!! Now how to get it up to our fort?
In the mean while a man made of flame walked into our fort and incinerated a jeweler and two wrestlers. Frustrating.

We have spread cage traps throughout the surface mostly to catch random animals and enemy scouts, and we caught three members of a giant macaque troop! Just imagine one of those things, the size of a building, staring down at you from a tree!
Hopefully we can breed them and keep them as a stable food supply and...
oh what's that>

A VILE FORCE OF DARKNESS HAS ARRIVED

Hmm only 20 members strong half dwarf half goblin. It's sad to see so many of our people still slaves to the goblins. To them this madness is all more praise for the god of war.

They're easily dealt with once they get in, but that creates a new problem for the Colonel to consider:

This is almost as far west as you can get from the goblin civilization and their are many enemies they have between here and there. Why haven't the elves, who are much closer, attacked yet?

Catten had only shared this with the colonel upon leaving the now totally barren gutter evils, but they had erred badly in defeating the goblins there.
For over a thousand years the only thing that protected the rest of the world from the age of the Goblin was that the two goblin nations were next to each other. They would never back down in fighting one another, and this defended everyone and allowed them all to squabble in peace.

With one goblin nation left, and the only necromancer tower now destroyed their was nothing keeping them from aggressively expanding west. and they were

Final note This jungle has Giant flies
Its terrifying to think of how much food their maggot offspring need to eat to be able to survive. Maybe if we burn the whole jungle down they won't come back? Still considering.

https://imgur.com/gallery/hNfyNTN

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2020, 08:59:47 pm »

Just a quick update with world info. Also I got way too many fisherdwarves I never assign anyone to be one. They just migrate here and now they demand a guildhall! They get a spare closet to meet in until I can give them a proper space.

The Dwarves of this world worship the god of war and victory Lorsoth the Prime Lancers. They share this god with the goblins of the Vice of Rooting.
Lorsoth has been extremely active in this world raising up the Vice of Rooting and their clown master, as well as inspiring many warriors and artists and leading to the creation of many books.
Many of the Crystal of Gloves also belong to the Vice of Rooting who we are at war with. This results in a near endless civil war when exploring regions in Adventure mode

Next we have Duthnur the goddess of Strength, oaths and marriage. While a goddess in dwarven form she is worshiped by humans, elves, and goblins who have assimilated into these societies. As such this could be an explanation as to why the humans and elves went almost 10 centuries without a single war against the dwarves. Their goddess is a dwarf who values strong oath keepers, and everyone tried to stick with that.

The other goblin Civ was the Terror of Questing. They worship Oltud the Burden of Fears. She is the goddess of misery who is in every other civilization's pantheon.
Not only did she create the Terror of Questing, but she also helped raise up the first necromancer who built his tower right in the middle of elven, human and dwarven lands.
Ironically, everyone who actively worships Oltude is miserable.
The Terror of Questing was conquered by the Crystal of Gloves over a period of 20 years, and continuously rebelled afterwords while the Vice of Rooting invaded their old lands killing many of them.
Many of these goblins and trolls still live, but their settlements are abandoned and they've all formed criminal gangs, mercenary groups, etc and live on the outskirts of society. I've never run into a situation where literally thousands of npcs became criminals all at once

Upon exploring the old dwarven lands in Adventure Mode you run into A LOT.
Almost every single dwarf is a military dwarf who is serving under one warlord or another.
Its an open melee against dwarves, goblins, humans, elves and some animal men constantly
The old hillocks are still inhabited and those who live there live in holes in the ground with the hatches locked. Occasionally you would stumble upon one that they did not lock in time. The interior completely drenched in blood and severed limbs as goblins butchered them all.

Our Queen, Xuspgasp, is a traitor. She moved into the Terror of Questing's dark fortress after we won the war, and sold it out to the Vice of Rooting who she also belongs to. She ambushed my adventurer with all the barons of the civilization and around 20 goblin soldiers and proceeded to stomp our faces in. She belongs to both sides, and dreams of ruling the entire world. What could her game be?

Some of our new settlements in the west are all inhabited by humans and goblins. Since they are the only members of our civilization that aren't military it kind of makes sense that they are off in the only towns left rather than fighting for the old lands.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2020, 08:38:38 am »

Id the mechanic and a representative of the new fisherdwarf guild rolled out their blueprint on the table.
The mayor, Catten, stared out from her artifact helmet only her eyes being barely visible. The Mask was a steel beauty. The kind of which wars were to be fought over, and the kind that they'd be fought with!

"So we're tired of that broom closet! We've the perfect design for our underground guildhall! We will dig a large cavern going from the surface river to 20 levels beneath the earth" he said motioning with his fingers on the blueprint "Once down it will flow into another large cavern that will fill up 4 z levels all the way up to the surface of our guild! Boom! Surface fish without the weather or sunlight! It's perfect!" He beamed with a smile
Catten didn't respond immediately "hm. What's to stop enemies from swimming through to our fort through this?"
Id stepped in for that "No creature could hold their breath long enough to get in, and at the end of the cavern is a wall of floodgates so that we can stop the water flow!"
Catten looked up to them "what about undead trolls?"
Id and the fisherdwarf both busted out laughing and wouldn't have stopped were it not for Catten clearly not laughing and only staring at them from under her helmet. They were both incredibly uncomfortable
"I-uh- I'll take a second look at other defenses" Id said

We've finally amped up our steel production so much that we are expanding steel floors and weapon traps at the surface entrance. Like a creeping infection slowly expanding out.

Stupid elves decided to come in and ask us to limit our lumber production which isn't great because we use around 300 units of lumber a year. Bare Minimum. On the bright side their caravans started bringing tons of wood in response.
This all happened before we had another Vile Force of Darkness
120 beak dogs, trolls, and goblins! The last one was 20.

This was close to the size of what destroyed HelmedMystery, but we will try it out. The hole we cut into the river for the fishersguild hasn't unfroze yet and so the goblins have a straight shot in if we lock our doors. not that we would killing them is the point of this fort.

15 steel clad dwarves killed them all. Several prisoners, and the beak dogs that were captured were butchered.
Our war dogs actually did really well. Normally I just use them to buy an extra 20 seconds, but fighting next to the military dwarves they weren't totally useless!
We lost Udib the Colonel's war cheetah. She was knocked onto a weapon trap and for three pages it continued to stab her over and over until she died. This is the first pet I've actually given a coffin.

Now carrying 120 bodies that are in multiple pieces turned out to be a real stresser for our civilians and immediately had fights breaking out.
I appointed a captain of the guard, veteran of gutterevils, and legendary axedwarf.
We also have a prison and hammerer.
Immediately the captain of the guard kills three dwarves! It's not even his job we have an appointed hammerer and everything!! Just walked from one dwarf to the next killing them all.
People are terrified.

Again a dwarf carrying a rotting arm got mad and threw the arm at another dwarf. She immediately ran and tattled on him to the Captain who was 30 feet away felling trees in single swings(This dude is huge)
Walks back over and immediately shoves his fist into that dwarf's brain and goes back to work.

I'm not sure if I'm pleased or not...

Do you guys want any dwarves named after you?
Gender?
Any other details you want included?

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2020, 11:16:55 am »

Ned, The Colonel and founder, is dead. As well as our baron and close to 15 other dwarves.

That previously mentioned Captain of the Guard? Overly-muscled veteran? His name is Tirist and he punishes crime like Judge Dredd.

He collects battle axes in his bedroom and from one execution to the next he will go there and pick a different battleaxe to bring to the next execution. He won't use them to kill his victim though. No.

He beats them with his bare fists until he finally decides to simply shove his fist through their skull and end them.
He killed our baron for throwing things. Shoved his fist into the baron's skull. The baron was also a starter dwarf who was our chief medical dwarf.

hmm hmm
10 more dead dwarves later Tirist has changed. He has decided he hates all authority everywhere and that the sheer amount of death he feels he is being forced to deal out is the fault of authority!
So he attacks Ned next after Ned lost it in an angry fit and killed an engraver.

I assumed with her full steel armor Ned would survive the attack in the middle of the barracks.
Tirist punched her helmeted skull over and over until both his hand broke and her entire head exploded

This led to a big fight as it happened in the barracks. Swordsmaster Reg and two axelords fought Tirist to a stand still. Tirist cut off Reg's leg with his battleaxe. He only drew the axe after being pressed enough by the three. One axelord held onto his head with his teeth, and the other fought him toe to toe parrying each blow.
On the ground Reg lashed out and literally disarmed Tirist. He then began swinging his crossbow around with his left hand, but too wounded was he! Reg beheaded him only a moment later!

Reg has been hospitalized and temporarily made militia commander. She likely won't keep it because I've learned my mistakes having soldiers with missing limbs even if they're legendary warriors.
We picked a non-military dwarf to be captain of the guard in hopes that he will be less lethal in dealing justice

We are equally expelling mentally ill dwarves as we are imprisoning them. Totally close to 30 and it is still steam rolling!

https://imgur.com/gallery/MTrAXll

We'll see how this pans out. The goblins are due to attack us in a few months.
Our military is still mostly in tact so there is that!

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2020, 05:16:37 am »

Wow! You've got some exciting personalities along your dwarves! How many total citizens are you up to? Have you reached the population cap yet?

A mad scientist necromancer, a peasant with a dream, a secret message inscribed on a gem, a giant bridge.
Come witness the Saga of the Puzzling Sea!
A documented Dwarf Fortress v0.47.xx game combining Fort Mode and Adventure Mode.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2020, 10:33:15 am »

Wow! You've got some exciting personalities along your dwarves! How many total citizens are you up to? Have you reached the population cap yet?

Thank you! So we were at 125 dwarves for like a month. Then everything happened including things I haven't posted yet and we went down to 70!

I've actually never had a fort that lost dwarves faster than they migrated! Fascinating really!
I've upped our pop cap to 200 in response

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2020, 11:00:26 am »

Nil or "Lars" as he was named at Adilbomrek  was resting on a tree stump. Swatting flies away and trying to enjoy his dimple cap beer. The flies were in swarms in this jungle and bit you if you let them stay on you.

He and 30 other dwarves had been forced to leave Adilbomrek and move to RoughnessWhiskered.
The coastal town bordered the elven jungles and it provided raw materials for Shadeshoots.
He didn't want to come here, but he and every other dwarf deemed "unfit" was cast out
Anyone who was part of the riots, threw their drinks, or even just yelled too loudly was rounded up and thrown out.

Lars had thrown a salmon at the wall in frustration and they threw him out! And why wouldn't he be angry?! His wife and he had split up before their daughter was born, and he had no friends at the fort. Constant work, and now his ex-wife was dead, and he had to raise the two-year old girl by himself.
It was no way a dwarf should grow up, and did they give him leniency because he had a baby girl at the fort? No! They sent them both to Roughnesswhiskered!
It was a dangerous place. Largest dwarven settlement in the nation currently. The dwarven homeland was a mess of slavery and civil war. You either lived under goblin oppression or under some insane warlord or another. So for the Dwarves West represented hope, change, and a new life. This town was as far west as you could go, and it was a dump. That was the great future the dwarves had built for themselves so far.
https://imgur.com/gallery/r9zy0oE

Goblins, humans, and even a few elves lived here with dwarves performing menial labors in hopes that maybe this town would one day be wealthy and we had all gotten here first. Lars was a miner before, and when he arrived he asked the sleazy mayor for the nearest tunnel, but no NO Dwarves don't dig anymore! We're stuck on the surface and so surface work it is for us. He had never even used an axe before, but now he cut trees all day long. The Jungle had to be magical. had to be. Within a year the jungle would regrow over all the ground we had cut. Giant anacondas, Macaques, even giant flies frequently invaded the town. It was free meat, but everyone was afraid of their kid getting carried off by a giant insect.

It didn't matter, he thought as he got up and picked up his axe, he had to try and make something of this life for his girl if nothing else.

---
Back in Shadeshoots Catten finished a meeting with new migrants. After Tirist, the captain, failed in his coup the whole fort rioted. around 20 more dwarves died in the riots including Reg, the dwarf who had defeated Tirist, she had already suffered a lot of blood loss and an infection and refused to rest in the hospital while the fort was in danger. She died near the end of the riots.
Catten rested her artifact helmet, Intensedrilled, on the table next to her and wiped sweat from her brow. The creator of the helmet died in the riots too. Even after creating a helmet that would live on in legend for all history all she had wanted to do was raise a family, and she died before that could even happen.

It hurt Catten to do it, but as the only leader left in this fort she couldn't allow any more innocent lives lost. Every dwarf that showed the slightest emotional discrepancy was sent away to RoughnessWhiskered. The mayor there insisted they'd all have a safe place, and it was better they be there than this place.

The fort was completely under efficient in almost all of its industries except for smithing, the staple, the smiths worked day and night producing more great steel works and expanding our claims.
After sending the elves some masterwork steel weapons as offering they stopped asking us to limit our lumber production, and so the jungle quaked with the entire swathes we cleared out!

She also instructed for a golden statue of the traitor guard captain Tirist to be put up in the office of the new captain. To outsiders it would seem an honoring of past officials, but to residents, especially the new captain, it would be a reminder of the fate of traitors.

Tirist was strange. What did he want? Catten had fought in the many battles of Gutterevil, and unlike most dwarves she knew why it fell. Internal sabotage. She saw members of the Queen's guard siding with the goblins against us! She feared that Tirist might not have been an aspiring warlord, but working for a far more insidious power...
https://imgur.com/gallery/PRx1TsY
---

That's the main updates! We went from 125 dwarves to 79!
There's a bug that was supposedly fixed in the new version where dwarves will become hostile to each other, and basically I noticed that this bug occurred after tantruming. The dwarf would end his tantrum but for some reason it caused other dwarves to permanently bug as hostile to that dwarf.
Only solution I could find was to exile every unhealthy dwarf! See how it goes...

Also I'm going to start up temporary squads to train civilians mainly to grow them in discipline so they don't cry over every dismembered goblin. The softies!

I'm also wanting to find a way to move the magma in the underground volcano up to our fort. I read a couple ideas, but they all sound way more time consuming than simply cutting down this massive jungle
Will put more thought into it...

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2020, 10:24:28 am »

Here's a background post before the next big one

So over to the East is the Goblin Homeland. The Vice of Rooting

This world has been at war since its foundation, but the goblins managed to not overtake the world(despite having twice the pop as everyone combined) because they were at war with each other and there was a natural mountain range between the rest of the world and them.

Goblins rarely get past the northern pass  you see on the map, because when you go adventure mode you'll find several dwarven warlords with camps out that way. They waylay anyone who travels that way. It's one big anarchic warzone. Very fun!

My first fort conquered and occupied the southern Goblin civ. Whole world goal is to one day unite the world, but we messed up.

Instead of bringing more stability we actually just caused the war to become global. The Vice of Rooting attacked our southern lands we occupied continuously while at the same time the locals rebelled until eventually the entire region fell.
Now they've got an open entrance to the rest of the lands to the south and use it to raid and enslave a lot of folks
In turn the thousands of goblins from the civilization we destroyed rebelled and spammed my Legends up by forming and joining warbands, mercenary groups and criminal organizations.

Basically turning the southeast of the continent into Somalia
Almost all the civs in this world worship the war god Lorsoth the Prime of Lancers and I assume he is quite pleased with the state of the world

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2020, 08:42:55 am »

The young human woman stared at the steel statue of a dwarf. She was mighty layered in muscle shown in her armor. With one hand she raised a legendary spear, Markentered, and stroke a triumphant pose. While at the same time with another hand she threw her other legendary spear: Spreadtunnels the Twilight of Satin. At the base of the statue it merely said "The Colonel" She must have been a powerful figure to be put in the mayor's throne room like this. All visitors would have to look on the creator of Shadeshoots

but this girl's name was Mosus MountainSpear. A dwarven name, but it belonged to a human. She had traveled this far with her two human friends to spend some time in Adilbomrek. Her father named her that when they joined the dwarven people forever ago, but her friends who were from human controlled lands just called her MP and it usually sounded more like Impi with their accents.

That very same year the fort had other strange guests. a Group of Lizardmen crawled up from the surface and moved in. One of them became a performer at the tavern Impi was now a barkeep at. The other group was led by a sly looking dwarf. Six brown-recluse spider people clad in bronze and copper armor and weapons had shown up. They told the Mayor they were seeking shelter from their own culture where males were eaten by females and the females by their children. It had passed, but you couldn't get past their alien looking eyes. Black and pupil-less. One regularly sat at a table and eyed her and she tried to stifle her feeling that she was being eyed up as a meal. Surely it was in her head from seeing such strange creatures right?
One had already killed a dwarf in "self defense" earlier. She claimed the dwarf attacked her and she bit him injecting poison that slowly killed him. Impi did love it here and unlike other hamlets and hillocks this place was free of the constant twighlight man or elf attacks, but still she would keep an eye out for these strange fellow newcomers.
---

It had been almost two years since a great exodus of dwarves were sent away from Adilbomrek, and in that time they had almost no deaths at all! The population returned to a relaxed 113.
Cat, The Mayor, had given a missive to the outpost liaison that the fort would be willing to house up to 200 residents. The Colonel wanted this place to be strictly a military base with a small civilian population to support the troops, but Cat saw bigger opportunities! They had an opportunity to build something the rest of the world had not ever seen. a fort made of steel. With a hearty tavern, a large library and many guilds and temples!

On that thought she unrolled the fort layout on her steel table that Vabok had sketched for her. Vabok was curt, and out of all the dwarf officials he was the only one without a real office. Instead he just had a table in the main craftsdwarf hub. She had told him that they would build him a proper steel office as the next batch of steel came out, but he just came back wagging his finger "Miss I'm always meaning to say what I'm thinking, and I'm thinking if I needed that office right now I would've already taken yours!" and that was that! He was a curt dwarf and young, and besides being book keeper he was also the broker and one of the best fighters in the fort. He did all his work with the highest precision with his only complaints ever being about the quality of his beer or the lack of elves to kill.

"Anyways" Cat said to herself "the plan!"
the exterior of the fort would be layered with steel blocks, and this work was already underway, and then on those blocks will be weapon traps and cage traps. We will also build a steel wall funneling enemies down one path and will eventually install siege equipment and archer ports to shoot down at the foe

If the enemy makes it through all of that they will go down our stairway and immediately enter the hound room(also in the process of covering in steel) While war hounds had limited use 40 or 50 of them versus an already wounded force should have some effect.
From there our main force can spill out of the barracks across the room, which also serves as a temple to Lorsoth, god of war, and can help the hounds. By leaving the room mostly open it gives our dwarves more room to help one another. the makeshift hospital and handful of bedrooms will be sealed up soon as they are no longer needed

Cat sipped her wine as she considered the next grim portion of the defenses

If the enemy made it past all our dwarves they'd immediately be in the temple quarter floor. From there we can either allow them to journey directly to the civilian hall, or lock the trapdoors and leave the long detour route open. This would have them run the maze of our many temples. Once they get to the top level of our library, the Treasury of Mechanisms, they could climb through the holes to the lower levels, but this would split them up and the doors on those levels would be locked. More than likely a competent force would continue the gauntlet together to the detour

Once there they'd walk around the temple to Tobul Mountainrust , God of wealth and jewels, to get to the main fort. If possible we'd have a force ready and hiding in the locked temple and as the enemy split up and went around it we would hit them from two sides, but that is a big if.
Provided they get past there they'd arrive at what is to be our hospital and temple to Karar Gladbright the Angelic Blankets who embodied mercy and forgiveness.

From there we are in the civilian quarters and the most dire straights. Closets will be installed in multiple forts of the quarter containing either weapons and armor or food and drink. If an enemy has reached this far they either are already armed or don't need them and so it won't cost us to station these. We can quickly get our civilians armed and armored for a last stand in this area although Cat hadn't decided on how best to shape that desperate last stand.

The mayor leaned back on her steel throne "Neither here nor there" she said finishing her drink. Besides being way better trained and armed than any other force in the world the recent goblin attack had not even gotten through the weapon traps on the surface. Captain Dodok, who I am fairly certain is insane, noticed their weapons already had blood on it and tasted it and said it was dwarven. This far west it was anyone's guess, but we had to hope that it was some of those traitor dwarves who served the Vice of Rooting. anyway we captured prisoners and we set about interrogating them to find out why the consort of a human leader was in this attack.
Oh prisoners that's right

Our prison was dedicated to Oltud the Burden of Fears. Goddess of misery. No one here worshiped her. In fact, Cat had only ever met goblins worshiping the thing, but angering a god sounded like a bad idea with all the bad luck they've already had.
The prisoners were put in a cavernous part of the dungeon along with Zaneg. Zaneg went berserk after not being able to make something and I couldn't bring myself to put another dwarf down. He is now imprisoned, but given food and water regularly. He screams and hurls insults at anyone who helps him. I don't know what I should do with him, but at least he is alive.

In the mean time of all this production she had sent out one of the fort's young scholars: Kumil. She had heard legends of an unreached cavern layer filled with untolds treasure and metal to make the strongest of weapons and armor, but was guarded by strange and unstoppable beasts. Supposedly the dwarves at Knightkeys who belonged to the Dreamy Abbey(different dwarf civ) had discovered this place, but other than that nothing was known.
Kumil was sent to Knightkeys to learn of this place, and Cat was determined to not dig that far until the fort defenses were properly established.

Until then The Colonel's plan would be done: We will arm and armor the elves, humans and dwarves in the western side of the continent so that they might be able to fight the Vice of Rooting and build their reliance and need of our people

Edited note: OH yeah I finally figured out how to actually put the pictures in the post on here. Forgive my ignorance guys I'm trying to improve
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 08:47:34 am by Maloy »

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2020, 09:31:23 pm »

A Vile Force of Darkness Has Arrived

Dodok rushed across the fort picking up all his gear and running past workers. None of the civilians seemed worried about the attack, but it worried Dodok. He was the new militia commander to replace the Colonel, and those were mighty big shoes to fill. The fort had several legendary veterans of multiple campaigns in it and even more had shown up the last couple of years, but this was Dodok's first posting, and he was now their commander.

They all paid him the respect due to his position, but he couldn't help but wonder if he could really do this. It didn't help that he was referred to as the "Timid". Coined because the other Dodok, who captained a squad, was an utter psychopath who liked to throw his weapons and drink his enemy's blood. Being compared to that guy constantly did not help at all

Dodok(Timid) had also decided to not take any of the Colonel's spears, but instead sported his exceptionally crafted steel battleaxe. Unblooded like him.

As he rounded the stairs to the Barracks he could hear the thunder cracking on the surface the rumblings reaching below. "Heyo Timmy!" Vabok the bookkeeper said slapping his shoulder his flail hanging over his shoulder. "Report Vabok" said the Timid

"The vomit-colored rats are gathered in a small number only outnumber us 5-1. They look right miserable in all that rain! Can't wait to welcome them inside" Vabok laughed at the end and winked at his cohorts who were all doing last minute demonstrations. The Hounds howled in the other room. An awful sound with close to 50 of them in such a tight space.

Dodok was sure they'd win and only the main military were fighting whoever made it down to the fort, but this was also his chance to test his new ideas. The reason they had to send away so many dwarves was because they were so unprepared for the sights of war and death. Cleaning up bodies and blood pools was too much for them and so Dodok had started his new program.
Every citizen of Shadeshoots got military training. Every single one. They would learn discipline and to not shrink at the rightly appropriate sight of dead goblins. Only an hour before this barracks had been filled with barely armed civilians doing pushups and and watching their superiors demonstrate their legendary prowess.
Dodok was hinging a lot on this. The last riot killed his predecessor as well as many other important dwarves. His head could quite literally be on the line.
In the distance one could just begin to hear screeching, hooting, and the strange giggling of the goblins as the first wave neared the tunnels. "Yes." The Timid said as he lowered his helmet over his head "Let's show them the warmth of dwarven hearth and home"
---

After many days the young dwarf Kumil had found his way to the fort of Knightkeys.
What could have taken a day took several as the most direct route would have took him through the lands of a hostile elven kingdom.
So he had to go around through the other elven lands of the Legendary Tree who were clients of the Crystal of Gloves, but even then he had to take a roundabout way because the Legendary Tree were at war with the Dreamy Abbey who owned Knightkeys.

Kumil took it all pretty excitedly though. In his twenties that made him an adult, but also a child in experience and so getting to travel the wide world was a rare privilege from his normal library duties.
As he neared Knightkeys its famous tower came in to view. It was rare for dwarves to build out of clay, but this whole squat tower was made out of it and a small one. It stood out though in the middle of this desert where nothing even grew next to the river. Several fisherdwarves were by the river, but nothing to show the supposed 500 dwarves who lived here.

The tower was unguarded, although Kumil could still make out the many weapon traps unloaded on the floors. The ones he could see he thought
Uninterrupted he went into the tower that also led deep into the earth, and as he continued down the steps for who knows how long he got to see the legendary creation of these dwarves. An Artificial Cavern Layer opened up before him. He paused and stared open mouthed at it. Multiple layers of stone carved away to make their own safe cavern area. The ceiling had a large golden Chandelier going across the bulk of it and reaching down layered with gleaming gems on the outside
Behind it you could see a waterfall pouring down to go down a series of grates in front of what could only be a massive palace! Covered in active chimneys and gem windows, and from its mouth went a long silver highway leading all the way to the staircase he was at.
On the left and right of the streets were vendors and workshops set up all behind copper, bronze and silver pillars along the road.
Warehouses, a tavern, offices, and more all behind them. Eagles and owls were perched on different pillars looking for prey.

As he stood there a steel-clad dwarf with a whip on his belt walked up to him "Name and business?"
Kumil collected himself. He was here to represent the Crystal of Gloves he could not let himself look like some young fool!
He hurriedly handed a letter to the man who seemed like he was having trouble reading it.
He held the letter up "Reg! Take this to the mayor!" he said and a moment later a footman came running up behind him, took it and ran off!
"Welcome to Knightkeys Kumil Ralumstiz. I'd advise ye go stay at the tavern for a spell or two while we sort yer business out"
"Thank you for your welcome!" Kumil responded stiffly
With that the Captain sauntered off and Kumil looked at a branching road of platinum that led to a two-story tavern. Knightkeys was one of the only places left in the world that produced mead and he meant to get him some!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 01:47:07 pm by Maloy »

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2020, 02:27:20 pm »

The battle plan played against popular goblin tactics. Goblins were often very oddly equipped in whatever they can find or loot from one another and have passing training in combat. What they rely on are numbers. Surrounding a dwarf and killing them when they tire, thus the fort was designed against that.
As invaders went in and piled up in the hound room the dwarves would flush out and chase them back up the narrow entryway where only two goblins could come at a time. The Timid had heard a story about a human spearman who had defeated an entire elven army single handedly by staying on a bridge where they could only come at him a few at a time.
It would have worked swimmingly if not for the Spider People. Although they had joined the fort asking to serve in the military no one had gotten around to incorporating or arming them, and as the first goblin squad showed up at the fort far ahead of the others instead of staying in the burrow with the other civilians three of the spider people sprinted up the stairs after the goblins.
Melbil, who was about as experienced as the Militia Commander Dodok, decided to risk it all to chase after them.
The Timid simply had to hope that Melbil would kill those goblins in time to get back down the stairs before the rest of the force showed up otherwise the battle would spill out into the open field.

and the Axe Lord did hold his own. He protected the spider people as best he could, but could only save one. Still it was amazing watching them work. Their many arms wrestling goblins down and tearing off armor. Strangling, punching and injecting poison. If they were actually armored they'd make amazing soldiers. They were too late and the rest of the force made it to the entrance. The hooting and yelling of the horde had stopped earlier as they met the weapon traps and they had gone silent other than to scream in pain or leaders shouting for the horde to continue down.

Dodok the Timid knew it was too late for Melbil and so had to drop the plan. The hounds were released from their room and dwarves and hounds charged up the steps in a bloody melee that lasted hours.
One dwarf bashed his iron bow on a goblins shoulder literally jamming his arm into the rest of his body. Dogs tripped on the pools of blood on the steps as they worked their hardest to help their masters.
Before they reached the surface the rain had stopped and the blood on the ground had frozen. A sick squishing sound made for every step you took through that slush.
As the goblins retreated they were chased by one of the fort's Elite Wrestlers, of which they had a peculiarly large amount of, he ran faster than the dogs and caught up his only weapon was shield, fist and foot.
Dodok took valuable insight that even being fully covered in armor didn't matter if your limbs were broken or torn out of their sockets as he was doing to the goblins.

The Timid had stayed in the back for most of the conflict. Most commanders led from the front by example, but it also made it nearly impossible to see the bigger picture or give commands to the whole force, and so Dodok saw it as very important to stay where he could see it all.

Cleaning up after it was clear every goblin was dead, but so was Melbil. What's worse his youngest daughter who was only five had run up to find him only to find him lying in a pool of blood. They had already lost their mother to the riots.

Two months later though and it had really been a successful defense! No dwarves lost to madness or riots thanks to the training regiment the civilians had to do! Now the fort was abuzz with excitement as a new artifact had been made! Their had been a few this year, but this one in particular had caused a stir that even the mayor had summoned Dodok to meet about it.
As he entered her office she sat with a steel table in front of her and on it a sword of platinum: Buryperishes

"Take a seat commander" ordered the mayor. She had her legendary helmet resting on the table as well which made her far less intimidating.
As Dodok sat he picked up the blade and inspected it
Carved into the blade was the image of the Cougar representing the danger of underestimating a foe, but also the power that was within a warrior to strike out.

The dwarf being killed on the leather hilt was a murder during the riots, and was a reminder of the evils when dwarves lost control of what made them what they were.
"The entire world will want this blade. The battles we've already faced are nothing to what they will do for this treasure, and now it is yours commander." the Mayor said
"Mine?  buy why? I'm an axedwarf!" he looked over at his still unblooded battleaxe
"We need a commander who will be a symbol for our people rising up against the tides here. This blade will become a symbol of us all" she said in a tone that harbored no argument, but Dodok persisted
"I don't command from the front. It makes it harder to do the job well. Give it to one of our veterans or you use it! You'll be a shoe in for reelection."
"Take time and think about it Commander, but for now we've a greater matter to discuss: We finished interrogating the prisoners. The Lord Consort we killed was the mate of a human leader, and as it turned out they were here because of Knightkeys."
"How so? We have nothing to do with them"
"They want our steel equipment to be able to sack and loot Knightkeys and have been infiltrating and causing conflicts between other nations here in the West. They hope to weaken us enough for them to come in and take what is ours and then destroy one of the wealthiest cities in the world"
"Then we need to work to accomplish the opposite! Let's build alliances!"
"I'm thinking much the same, and the group we need to make contact with is the Luxuries of Mortifying. So far the only elf civilization that hasn't either traded with us or tried to kill us. They are famous for being the source of most of the world's elven bandits though. Their's even a tomb in the south that humans have been fighting to expunge a group of bandits from for years. I need you to help me draw up a first contact plan"

In the mean time of all this we expand our weapon traps, temple quarter and start building some spider armor!

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2020, 08:42:41 pm »

It had been another bad year for RoughnessWhiskered. Goblins besieged Shadeshoots right before the merchants were due to arrive and thus they decided to go elsewhere.

Hillocks were places full of poverty, and even though it could grow its own food and drink the town relied on Shadeshoots for providing them work and waylaying merchants looking for deals.
So two years without merchants had left people feeling desolate indeed.

More successful hillocks could actually serve as the go between for a fort and its products that go out to the rest of the world adding on their own modest fee. This would lead to many dwarves being elevated to merchants who would trade in great wealth and comfort.
RoughnessWhiskered though was not that lucky yet. For now a dumping ground for unwanted dwarves to serve as laborers, and many of them losing hope every year they didn't see trade.

It didn't help that a mad prophet of Lorsoth dwelt in the town crying out day and night about the coming of Lorsoth's great war where all would find testing and judgement. For now the dwarves had to wait and hope that the new artifacts would be too great a temptation for merchants who would brave the danger to see Shadeshoots.

---
Outside of Shadeshoots sat a river that was frozen for months. During the whole year cats spent their days here napping in the sun or under a bush. During normal seasons they'd catch vermin and beg for fish from fisherdwarves, but during winter it was just a hang out formed by habit, but today was special. They could hear it! The ice was breaking! Melting! And as it did it flowed a different direction. Down a large artificial underground riverway that lead to a steel wall and then down down downward all the way past traps, and troops, and crafts to a large room where it would flow across and then go down further between fort walls ultimately leading to the caverns where it would flow out into who knows where!

The room it met halfway through was for Zalstom the god of fortresses, oceans, fish and rivers. The statue is of Reg, the hero who slew the traitor captain Tirist, weeping over his inability to lead his people due to his death. Zalstom wash his tears down His River!

Yet down a floor further from Zalstom's rest was a large room of steel tables and statue and in it the Mayor Catten sat with four other dwarves:
Vabok the bookkeeper and warrior, Reg "Whiskers" the siege engineer, Ral the Mechanic, and Avvud the Animal Trainer.

Today was special not only because they had hit the next cavern and were laying traps, but because the queen Xuspgas had messaged the fort. She would soon visit and in her honor she wanted an arena built and games hosted. For the Dwarves this was an honor and they wanted to do so well as to encourage the queen to make this the Mountainhome.

"The arena needs to have a magma lake!" Ral shouted!
"So that any good dwarf who decides to fight can melt te' death?" Vabok shouted back "No! Leave the arena bare so that only the best can win! No tricks!"
"I think it would be very impressive to our queen if we constructed a fungus cavern complete with trees and all! Beasts could hide in the trees or fly around!" Avvud said very excited. He very likely simply wanted to release his Giant macaques into the arena
"Not fair!" Vabok interjected wagging his finger.
Cat rubbed her forehead on impulse which looked strange with her artifact helmet on.
"What if we invented an arena that could be switched when needed? Sometimes a magma lake, sometimes a great forest, and sometimes a plain dirt pin for a scrap?" Whiskers said.  So named Whiskers because he had odd beard hairs that were longer than the rest and refused to do anything but stick out from the rest and give him a cat like appearance.

At that idea everyone audibly sighed. Ral slammed his head on a steel table, and Vabok shouted to the ceiling "Leave it to an engineer to come up with the most complicated plan of all!"
"Whiskers" Cat said "We had already discussed that several times before you began joining us for these meetings. There's a number of problems with that the first being that it takes years for fungus spores to grow into trees and having an arena that takes years to change is not worth the effort."
"sorry for helping!" The obviously wounded whiskers replied
Ral was rest his elbow on the table with his head on his hand "What if we just built a regular arena and had special ones ready for special events"
Vabok looked at him with pure rage in his eyes. His mouth open but no words would come out and then he finally managed "Out. Now!"and Ral quickly scurried out of the meeting to go build stone mechanisms or something like that.

Other than all of this things went well, Cat could not help but think. Tribute had been demanded of AceCrystals, a dwarven town of the Dreamy Abbey only two hours from here, it was an incredibly wealthy town that served as Knightkey's gobetween and the tribute was more of a formality. It told the dwarves that they were all still friends and that the Dreamy Abbey should send merchants here to try and trade wealth to recoup their losses! The bandit Elves of the Luxuries of Mortifying would be next. in time.
The berserk dwarf in the prisons has screamed at the goblins so much that they've become incredibly depressed and given up hope for life. We still don't know what to do with this dwarf!

--- over at Knightkeys
Kumil had been staying at the tavern for days. It should not have taken that long but two separate raids by elves and goblins had taxed the dwarves. Military dwarves ran the highway to the surface and came back many hours later hauling wounded. Civilians were all stocked to task dragging bodies and gear to the trash compactor nearby. The constant thump of the compactor slamming had become rhythmic and even calming on a level.

The tavern was a great thing. Legendary artwork lined its walls and many instruments its ground, but the real beauty was the centerpiece. A golden artifact table where poets and musicians could set up to perform.

It was almost noon and Kumil was on his 7th mead. A modest start for an adult dwarf. The odd thing about this place though was that it was so empty. Their was no way that 500 dwarves lived here unless their was another fort somewhere else down here! The roadways and palace weren't so busy other than the animal traffic. Even the tavern only had several patrons at a time!
As Kumil wondered these things a human sat down next to him. Clad in Bronze armor with a gleaming silver whip on his belt this giant gray haired creature smiled wide at him ""Ey there dwarf mah names Quethp! Lath and greateth monther thlayer in the world!"
Human accents were a pain to translate Kumil thought "You said you're the last monster slayer?" he slowly repeated back
"That I am thir! Quethp thlayer of the great Gorlak and lath of my work!"
Monster slayers had gone the way of the Gremlin. All the world's forgotten beasts had been trapped, killed in war or hunts and thus Monster Slayers weren't really needed ever "I'm altho the lord of Bonegilt!" he continued taking and drinking a strawberry wine the tavern keeper brought by
"A lord too? Well nice to meet you! Name's Kumil here on a mission to save my people! Do you find much work around here, sire?"
"Not unlethp you conthider drinking all the wine and thinging all the thongs!"
thongs? Kumil was very confused. SONGS  "Surely there's some cave crocodile that you could save a cat from or something?"
"No thir" he continued "long ago many beatht fought in the cavern and killed all the animal. Nothing down there except thkeleton and mushroom now! tho I drink!" he clanked his mug against Kumil's and laughed, and as he did the tavern's platinum doors opened and the widest dwarf Kumil had every seen walked in. "That's thweetheart. The's the mayor and thweetetht thing you've ever met" Quesh whispered
Sweetheart identified the newcomer to the fort and sat down across from him. Her very energy just seemed to evoke how deeply she cared about every single person she met "Welcome to Knightkeys sweetie I'm so sorry about your wait" She said as she smiled with her whole face.

"Oh um. Well it's quite alright you guys had a lot on your hands!"
"Thank you sweetie! Now we've got our scribes looking up and down our library for stories about your 'fourth cavern layer' and we'll bring anything down to you! We have a guest library right down the street with a table and chair where they'll bring anything to you" She said
Kumil interjected "But I've been told you dwarves found it that you found the secret caverns filled with treasure and beasts!"
Sweetheart grew serious and quiet. She didn't have a face that could lie "We haven't found anything like that dear. I'll have the scribes bring you materials. Thank you for visiting us, cousin" she said and immediately got up and left before the tavern keep could take her order

that's not good Kumil thought as much as I want to know what's going on I also don't want to cost our kingdom it's only real friend in these times. I'll be keeping an ear out though. and as he spoke that the ground shook again loudly. Another siege had begun. Quesh focused on his drink clearly trying to ignore the call to join the defenders. Lazy human