Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stormwild Islands, a Gaslamp Fantasy TTRPG  (Read 1077 times)

GizoginJr

• Escaped Lunatic
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
Stormwild Islands, a Gaslamp Fantasy TTRPG
« on: November 17, 2023, 03:47:56 pm »

Stormwild Islands

Welcome to Stormwild Islands, a tabletop role-playing game. Set in the eponymous Stormwild Islands, a cluster of islands in the middle of a perpetual, continent-sized storm, this game explores the aftermath of a generations-long war and the magical damage done to the world as a result.

In terms of genre, Stormwild Islands fits most closely with “gaslamp fantasy”, an early industrial setting with a great deal of magic. Spellcasters are commonplace, and they work alongside new innovations like steam engines to create a world that changes very quickly. Golems - humanoid constructs with minds and wills of their own - have been instrumental in bringing about this new wave of industry, but their use in the war and their newfound push for independence might be even more significant. Alongside all of this is a world of spirits, otherworldly creatures who think and act according to completely different rules, and mixing spirits with humans or golems tends to cause all kinds of clashes.

This game is designed for groups of three to six people, though larger or smaller groups are by no means incompatible. Typically, one person will take the role of the GM, or Game Master, and the other members will take on the roles of players. A typical session of play should last between two and four hours, allowing for a few different scenes. A mission of standard length, such as the example missions provided in the Gamemaster's Guide, will take between six and ten hours in total.

The Player's Guide is free to download, and it includes everything a player needs to build a character and take part in missions. The Gamemaster’s Guide is paid content, adding tips on building missions, designing NPCs, and running the game. Each group will need the Player’s Guide at minimum, and at least one member of the group should have a copy of the Gamemaster’s Guide as well.

All artwork in the core books is by Lenny Ditkowsky, who can be found at their website. All rules, characters, and details of the missions and setting are by Alexander Kirk (Gizogin (me!)).

This has been a passion project of mine for a year and a half, and I finally managed to get it finished. I'm currently working on a Starter Pack and a second pair of books, though they're a ways off.
Creator of Stormwild Islands!

GizoginJr

• Escaped Lunatic
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
Re: Stormwild Islands, a Gaslamp Fantasy TTRPG
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2023, 10:45:05 pm »

Well, the starter pack has been written. Needs an editing pass, and the artist I use won't be ready for a while, but the hard work on my end is done!

GizoginJr

• Escaped Lunatic
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2024, 04:46:46 pm »

Revision 1.0.2 is here! This is mostly formatting changes and small corrections. The Tether action has been reclassified, and Flying and Hovering are now properly treated as forms of movement, rather than statuses.

GizoginJr

• Escaped Lunatic
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2024, 06:59:07 pm »

The starter pack - Sand and Bones - is done! This is a fully self-contained mission, containing a rules reference and pre-made character sheets.