Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Let's Play Dominions 5 MA Abysia - Burning Sun  (Read 18156 times)

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Let's Play Dominions 5 MA Abysia - Burning Sun
« on: March 24, 2020, 03:26:57 pm »

Is there interest in something like this here?  I just finished my second multiplayer game of this (so yes, I'm a noob and probably make tons of newbie mistakes along the way!  Just to say please don't treat this as a guide of any sort!) and I record my turns in a google doc as I play.  I didn't know if you guys would be interested if I post the next one here turn by turn (or maybe small groups of turns as activity waxes and wanes) instead of on a drive doc.  Drive link to my previous game:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1v1mam1Uvy1e_aJRmE5zc2mAYX-GIqdAuN55Hzpo_4Pg/edit?usp=sharing

Next game will be starting tonight or tomorrow. I'll be continuing the story of Abysia into the middle age.

Edit: I suppose in the tradition of let's plays on this forum we can name commanders after interested users as well.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 01:55:34 pm by oldark »

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 5 -- AAR
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 07:04:10 pm »

Posting to watch. I'm interested but I might not be objective since I do this kind of thing myself.

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 11:43:34 pm »

First a disclaimer; this is only my third game of dominions 5 so don't expect superb gameplay and I don't regularly post on the forums so bare with me as I figure out a good format for this.

Opponents and Pretender design
Our group is playing a single nation throughout the ages, or a nation and one of it's successors.  For this game we'll be in the Middle Age as Abysia with our opponents as Vanheim, Agartha, and Man.  Since not everyone here plays this game I'll give the game's description of them here as well inside the spoilers.

Man
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Alrighty, so Man is listed as relying on infantry, longbowman, and knights along with their special troops. They are skilled in Nature and Air magic with some access to Water and Earth and have weak priests.  They seem like a generic military nation to me. The biggest troop threats likely to be their calvary. They have lances and high defense and their Knights of Avalon are even more skilled.  It looks like their only sacred unit
are the greatsword  wielding Wardens of Avalon which are also stealthy.  They DO have a stealthy commander as well that could lead armies of these guys behind my main lines so that's something to watch out for.  To note that both the Wardens and Knights of Avalon can only be recruited in his capital so the will be limited in the rate he can replentish them. He's also got some skirmish looking units that he can recruit from any forest. May be worthwhile to prioritize taking forests from him just to keep them from recruiting too quickly mid war. 

For commanders I note that he has a stealthy preacher. That could be a problem if he tries to push my dominion out.
  He also has bards which have the 'spy' trait.  I'm not sure what exactly that does but it says they get 'additional scouting information'.  His cheap mages in the Daughter and Mother of Avalon are strong in air and nature and are also sacred. The mothers are level 1 priests as well. His expensive capital only recruited mage is just a stronger version of the same.  He also has a weak earth mage that he can recruit ANYWHERE that doesn't have a fort in it.

Overall I think dealing with his knights and archers are the big sticking points, Abysia has strong melee troops and I'm willing to bet they can easily take on any infantry he throws at me. The knights mean I'll want a second line of units so they can't use attack rear orders to bypass the fighting and murder my commanders and mages.  The archers.. I do have access to shielded heavy infantry so placing some of them forward to draw archer fire should be a reasonable plan.

Agartha

Agartha has strong Earth magic and some Fire, Water, and Death as well with very powerful priests. Any constructs within his dominion get additional hit points.

Agartha is a mix of humans and pale ones. They all have darkvision and can move through water (but are bad at it).  Caves give them bonus gold and resources.  They can recruit giant Ancient Ones in their capital that are sacred. Troglodyte slaves will also prove a problem as they're even larger and have the ability to trample units smaller than them to death.  At his non-capital forts he can recruit various types of human infantry.  Overall he seems weak on ranged options.

For commanders all of his mages look like they're sacred. He has a cheap priest and a priest/earth mage at the lower end. Earth/Fire/Water on his mid tier and a level 3 priest with very strong earth and some death magic at his capital. It's slow to recruit though so maybe he won't be spamming them.

My infantry's heavy armor should help a lot against any earth evocations he casts in combat, but he'll likely be using several strong defensive spells that I think earth gives access to. 1-1 I think my infantry can still match him but I'm not sure how much his giants and troglodytes will come into play. I don't like my soldiers' chances against a size 4 trampling troglodyte and I don't have access to ranged weapons to keep him from reaching me.  With all the talk of constructs and crafting I think they are maybe a late game power?   I almost missed the fact that one of his soldier's (capital only recruitment) carries a weapon that can curse on hit.  I will need to take care to keep my pretender
out of combat if I see masses of them around.                                                             

Vanheim

Ah Vanheim. My bane from the Early Age game we just completed. Vanheim is strong in Air, Earth, and Blood magic with weak access to Fire and Death.  They have illusions and glamours to help sneak armies through enemy territory and make themselves hard to hit in combat and they have shapeshifters and beserkers to make their troops that much more deadly. They also like their lands to be cold, which of course in unacceptable to those of is in Abysia!   

Their sacred Van cavalry is likely the biggest threat. He definitely used it to great effect in the previous game. He also has access to Valkyries which are sacred and can fly to strike my rear lines immediately. His skinshifters will regenerate and his beserkers will become stronger in combat and never retreat. If he plays it like the previous game he will create his bless so they are nearly impervious to fire - which sucks for me.   

His Vanjarls and Vanadrott are good air and blood mages and all of his vanhir commanders are sacred as well as being priests of some level. He also has dwarven smiths with earth magic that can forge items more cheaply but I would guess he only has a few of them since they compete for recruitment spots in his capital.

I think my best bet against them is to get deeper into blood magic before war breaks out. The glamours make him hard to hit so the wide aoe's there and the mass summons of chaff will help to pop the glamours and start causing some damage. I'm planning my pretender largely around fighting off year two-ish attacks from them as well. I'm not sure my plan will work but it sure as hell should work better than my previous attempts with fire magic! Since they also have blood magic access I'll need to make sure they don't outpace me in it.

That took a lot longer than I anticipated so I'll do Abysia's intro and pretender design tomorrow.

Edit: I just noticed the child board. Should this be moved there? If so can a mod move it or should I repost it there later?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2020, 11:59:09 pm by oldark »

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 02:24:28 pm »

How do I add images from my pc or clipboard? The img tag looks like it wants a url - do I need to drop them on imgur first or something?  Also when I click the attachments button at the bottom of the editor there is no option to add attachments.

Opponents and Pretender design continued

Abysia, Blood and Fire

Heavy infantry with no missile support. My infantry are all strongly fire resistant and also give off an aura of heat that will tire out nearby troops that aren't resistant to it. The aura waxes and wanes with the temperature scale of a province. Strong in Fire, Blood, and Astral magic with some Earth magic as well. I'll rely mostly on heavy infantry or sacred infantry for early game expansion with support from a few of my powerful fire mages.  However fire is easy to counter by other players so I'll be focusing heavily on the blood and astral paths of magic as soon as I can comfortably bring them online.  My commander units will be a mix of Blood/Astral warlocks and Fire/Holy priest mages with a heavy focus on the warlocks.

Pretender design
I've chosen to design my pretender with two purposes in mind. 1) To provide basic elemental resistances to my sacred troops. 2) To be able able to hold the center of an army against Vanheim's strong units. 

I went with a titan chassis, the Ilahat of Might.

She's dormant and should enter the world around the beginning of year 2.  Earth and nature magic gives me the resistances - the fire isn't useful to me but it's cheaper to get shock resistance this way than to raise her air magic skill.  The plan is to craft her very protective armor and improve her attack skill so she hits the dodgy elves of Vanheim more easily and let her wade into combat after self buffing with earth and nature spells.  I chose my scales because I'm afraid to go below Dominion 6 after losing 2 single player games due to dominion loss. Turmoil doesn't bother Abysia too much and since our units are very heavy infantry they are also very expensive on resources, hence the production 3.    Heat 3 is default for Abysia and I left it alone. Growth would be nice to have but Abysia only gets half the benefit of it but still pays full design point cost. If I could afford to bring it to level 3 I would but at level one I'd rather that point go into magic.   Luck scale of 3 is just a personal preference. I love the good events and want as many as I can get.

That's pretty much it. We're generating the map today so if there are any name requests for our goddess to be now's the time to get them in.  She's got the preliminary name of "The Veiled One" but I'll take votes and submissions until the host starts our game up and I have to lock it in. Could be as soon as this evening or as late as the beginning of next week.

Edit: Game started up so instead of naming our pretender our first Warlord (general) is up for naming as is our first Slayer (scout/assassin).  First turn will be posted shortly.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 03:30:25 pm by oldark »

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 04:00:28 pm »

Turn 1

The world our host generated contains roughly 20 provinces per player. The map wraps in both n/s and e/w directions so the best way to get your bearings is by seeing where things duplicate. (My dominion lands center and west, the trio of caves center and south). There are 13 thrones on this map. 8 level 1s, 4 level 2s, and a single level 3 for a total of 19 ascension points. The first player to control 8 points wins the game.

Pretenders:
The Veiled One, God of Abysia
Lifebringer, God of Man
The Second Stone, God of Agartha
Udainsakr, God of Vanheim

The way the map put us against a mountain range means that our capital only has 3 adjacent provinces. That's going to hurt our resource income quite a bit. Any province with a fort (castle/palisade/etc) will pull in a % of the resources from all neighboring provinces. That means our capital will be behind anyone with 5 or 6 neighbors by default.  Agartha most likely started near those caves. They get bonuses for them and can fight in the darkness without penalty. If he didn't start here he will be expanding in that direction rapidly. None of our nations are underwater nations in this game, but Agartha does have some natively amphibious units that they can make use of. There's a single throne in the water but I don't expect there to be too much water play in this game.

I don't have any researchers yet but went ahead and set up my research queue. Conjuration 3 is for early conflicts. My Salamander and Dragon mages can summon fire elementals easily and at conjuration 3 we will have unlocked the spell for lesser elementals. Blood 1 just to get us the intro level blood spells for our warlocks then to construction 4.  Construction 4 lets us make sanguine dowsing rods for our warlocks that will aid them in hunting for blood sacrifices. It should also unlock some basic gear we can craft for our pretender when she awakens.  Blood Magic level 3 is the next milestone because Abysia is known for it's skilled crossbreeders. We have a unique blood spell at blood level 3 that lets us create a handful of semi-random units at the cost of blood slaves being sacrificed. Many of these units are somewhat decent and they also have no upkeep cost.

Our starting commanders and troops:

Alecto the Warlord is our starting army commander. Name up for grabs if anyone wants him.

He's leading our starting army of 30 heavy infantry units. I take a risk here and give him orders to march on Polgrave to the southeast without waiting on a scout report. It's a calculated risk, unless it's an unusually heavy defended independent province or has somewhat rare mage support his army should be able to take care of it relatively easily.

Maskim the Slayer - name also up for grabs - is our starting scout. Our scouts also do double duty as fairly good assassins. Assassins can be moved into enemy or neutral territory and then attempt to attack a commander in a 1 v 1 battle. Maskim isn't going to take on the cream of the crop but with his speed and twin poisoned daggers he will likely take out several targets before one gets him.

His initial orders are to head northeast to quietly scout Dothian. Depending on what we see he may try to take out the commanders there or advance further towards the caves to spy out our opponents.

The only other activity we perform in this turn is to recruit new units in Abysia. Warlocks will form the core of our forces later on, but for leading these initial armies I'll be recruiting a few Anathemant Salamanders. The weaker but cheaper of my fire mage/priests.
Anathemant Salamander:

Something I forgot to mention is that our entire race has a short lifespan. Hence why the Salamander we're recruiting will be 33 years old and have the Old Age trait already.  Old Age gives them a chance to develop random injuries and diseases each turn of the game with the odds increasing as they get older.  This Salamander will be leading our second expansion army once it's ready to go and his name is also up for grabs!  We also have enough resources to recruit 4 of our sacred lava warriors this turn. Another round or two of that and they'll be the troops in our second expansion army. These guys trained in lava pits. They dual wield morningstars, go beserk when injured, and become more powerful the hotter the temperature is as well as being sacred, so our priests can bless them for stat boosts.

That's it for turn 1.  Expect turn 2 to come in a few hours or the first half of tomorrow.  If there's anything specific you guys want me to include or do that I'm not then let me know and don't forget we have 3 names up for grabs at this point with many many more to come as the game progresses.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 04:53:16 pm »

PTW

How do I add images from my pc or clipboard? The img tag looks like it wants a url - do I need to drop them on imgur first or something?
Yeah, pretty much the only way and a bit of a hassle.

I'd like the warlord to be named Steve, if I may.

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 5 MA Abysia AAR - Burning Sun
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2020, 08:44:08 pm »

Turn 2.  Late Spring year 0
We now have Steve the warlord leading our grand first expansion army.

Turn opens up with a proclamation from Man.

"Launfal the Castellan shall hereby be known as the prophet of Lifebringer, August Prince, the Divine Architect, Lord of the Soil, King of Metals, The Compassionate."  Think his god has enough titles?

Since I never mentioned it, ours is The Veiled One, Goddess of Abysia. Mistress of the Wildlife, Queen of Nature, the Hidden One.  We'll be declaring a prophet very soon as well.  Steve lead his army to a very sound victory in his blind advance into Polgrave.

Our new Anethemant Salamander, Ogorol is ready. This turn I give him orders to perform the rites to declare himself our prophet.  Becoming a prophet immediately increases their holy magic level to level 3. The biggest part of that in my opinion is access to a Divine Blessing so he can bless the entire battlefield at once instead of the default small area of effect bless.  Another 4 lava warriors are queued up as well. The plan is to have Ogoral lead a force of lava warriors out next turn to continue our territory expansion. For commander recruitment, I order our first full Warlock (name available).

These guys are our most expensive and powerful mages. Their army leadership is mediocre at best, and even then they prefer to lead magical beings or the undead than standard infantry but they are very powerful blood and astral mages and have a chance to spawn with earth and fire magic as well.

This is what the yellow ? in his stat screen expands to. He is guaranteed to get a level of either fire/earth/astral/blood and has a 10 percent chance to gain another level in one of those 4 paths.

Looking at where to send Steve off to conquer next.

I would love to move to that province directly northeast of our capital (which is where our slayer Maskim is currently) but barbarians are notoriously difficult independent armies.  Once they enrage they will fight to the death and hit extremely hard. Steve's forces might be able to take them but not without heavy losses.  The blue movement lines show river crossings. Steve's army is neither flying nor amphidious so he can't cross those unless the river freezes. Which it won't since one of the benefits of living in our god's domain is a permanent heatwave. To freeze over a river needs cold temperatures on both sides of a crossing.  In fact looking at this river further, we have to go north and east to the nearest bridge then move back down to get to the other bank here.  Anyway, I don't want to have Steve just twiddling his thumbs so he moves west to the Stone Grave Mountains to battle the horse tribe cavalry forces located there.

The last orders I give this turn are risky. Maskim the slayer is ordered to try and assassinate one of the barbarian commanders.  This has probably a 30-40% chance (I'm making up numbers but it FEELS that way) of resulting in Maskim's death.

As I'm the last player this turn I'll be immediately playing turn 3.

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2020, 09:09:07 pm »

Turn 3. Early Summer in the year 0

Two proclamations this turn announcing prophets. Ogorol is now our prophet (and I forgot, once a unit becomes a prophet, arena champion, or enters the hall of fame their names become locked).

Vanheim also proclaimed their prophet:
Sigverk the Vanherse shall hereby be known as the prophet of Udainsakr, the Merchant of Souls, Lord of Might, King of Many Names, Master of Dirt, Eater of Children.

Sounds like a lovey guy.

Maskim caught one of the barbarian chieftains alone at night and made his move.
Rare capture of a professional assassin in action!

On Steve's front the battle again goes in our favor. Though the lances of the horse tribe did take their toll. It was only a small portion of Steve's forces and he's prepared to continue his conquest.

Maskim the Slayer is ordered to test his luck again on another of the barbarian chieftains nearby.  If he kills all the chieftains in the province then the rest of their forces will retreat at the first sign of battle. Independent armies don't replenish outside of special events so when he reports that he failed to find a target is a reasonable assumption that the area is ripe for the taking.  Steve again only has one real choice of paths to take. He prepares his troops and moves into Boddern Weald, a mountainous forest.

Our second expansion army also prepares to move out under the prophet Ogorol.  He takes our 8 Lava Warriors with him and moves northwest into the Spires of Ascension. Mages can be ordered to cast specific spells up to 5 times before they perform their generic command. You can see I've ordered him to cast divine blessing over the battlefield then use the Holy spell Word of Stone. This smites one heathen with a divine bolt of power. If that person survives there's a chance that it will petrify them. Since our research hasn't gone anywhere yet this is likely far more useful that the lone fire cantrip that he knows.

Azazel the Warlock (name available) has joined our forces. He has 1 level of earth magic, 2 astral, and 3 blood.  His primary duty for the time being is to sit in Abysia and advance our research. For recruitment this turn we have 5 more lava warriors and another Anathemat Salamander.  This one will also be put on research duty until we have enough warriors to send him out leading another army of them, probably in 2ish turns.  I would have preferred another Warlock since they are better researchers and the army will be a few turns recruiting anyway but my treasury isn't full enough to get one of them.

I appreciate the advice! I'm open to advice and suggestions from anyone that has something to offer as I'm still learning this game.  How is the text:screenshot ratio for yall? Should I do more pictures, less pictures or just keep going as I am?

Edit: And thanks mods for moving this for me to the appropriate place!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 09:19:27 pm by oldark »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2020, 10:34:34 pm »

How is the text:screenshot ratio for yall? Should I do more pictures, less pictures or just keep going as I am?
I find it fine as it is, but I'm not sure you'll be able to keep it up with this much detail as the game evolves.

I'm sad Steve the prophet is not a thing, though :(

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2020, 06:59:24 am »

I considered making him a prophet for sure but he's not leading any sacred troops and waiting a turn for him to become one seemed like it would invalidate the risk of the blind turn 1 conquest.  Other than using them for divine blessing's I'm not entirely sure the best way to use my prophet.  Maybe stick him in a border province if another player's dominion is pushing into it faster than my own.

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2020, 10:07:41 am »

Turn 4. Summer in the year 0.

The first report for this turn is Maskim's second assassination attempt.

Prophet Ogorol's attack in the Spires of Ascension was successful. His force of 8 warriors slew all 42 of their opponents and didn't let a single one retreat, but lost 6 of our own number in the process.

Steve once again lead his troops flawlessly. Conquering the Boddern Weald in the name of The Veiled One without suffering a single loss.

I immediately give the order for him to advance into The Obsidian Waste which is defended by a force of undead.  Ogorol on the other hand is being given orders to return to Abysia and replentish his troops. The nearby forest scouts report have 140 defenders in it and with Maskim's death someone will also need to deal with the barbarian tribe adjacent to our capital.

Another Warlock and 5 Lava Warriors are recruited for next turn. This Warlock will also likely be a researcher. If he happens to random his way in to level 3 astral magic he will also be used to search for magical sites in our conquered lands.  Magic Sites provide various effects, most often gem income.  Gem's come in the form of each of the magical paths and are used for all out of combat ritual spells as well as by mages in combat to boost their strength. They are also used when forging new equipment.  Most sites start off hidden and have to be searched out before they provide their income. To find one, a mage with at least 1 level of the magical path matching that of the site needs to search in that province. Odds are improved for each additional level up to 3, where I believe they have a 100% success chance.  There are also rituals that can be used to search for sites in nearby provinces but these cost gems to use and won't be my primary method of finding them.

We also have Alijan Ba'al, the Anathemant Salamander  joining us this turn. He's going on research duty initially, to be moved to leading a force of lava warriors when we are prepared to have a third group of them march forth.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2020, 12:19:24 pm »

I'm certainly interested, both as an LP enthusiast and as a Dominions MP veteran.

Didn't realize this was contemporaneous.  I guess your opponents promised not to peek.

One trick I use for temples and prophets is to not place them in border provinces with other players, at least not until they build temples bordering me.  Don't want them to think we're trying to kill them, when those mean and nasty players over there are far more dangerous.

You seem to be doing a good job overall, especially with expanding around your homeland.  You should work on getting a second army going, and send out scouts.  What have you gotten from the new provinces?

How does blood sacrificing work with your nation?  Dominions 4 was the last one I played, and never got into it as much as Dominions 3, which is no reflection on the game but rather the state of my freetime.

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Dominions 5 MA Abysia - Burning Sun
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2020, 03:47:56 pm »

Thanks for the comments and advice EuchreJack.   The game is against friends and I trust trust them not to peek. I renamed the thread from AAR to Let's Play because you're right, that was the wrong title for a game in progress.

My second army lost almost everyone last turn and had to return to replenish unfortunately. It's going to slow me down a lot but not much I can do about it after the fact.  Abysia does have blood sacrifice but I have never used it before.  I believe I can do 1 blood slave per level of the priest and only once at each temple in a given turn.  So far nothing too interesting from the conquered lands.  One horse tribe province, the rest is generic commanders with some combination of infantry/scouts/slingers available.

Turn 5. Late Summer in the year 0
A couple of things of note happened this turn. Steve continues to prove unstoppable and defeats the undead without losing any of his troops. He immediately reports that his troops are starving from lack of supplies. Being a mountainous wasteland I can't say I'm surprised.

Unfortunately I think he's going to have to make a U-turn and spend several turns marching.  The only way forward is blocked by a frightening strong force and due to the river and mountains it's a pretty linear path back out. On the bright side, the army found 2 Nature Gems after the battle. Abysia doesn't have much use for those but they could end up useful later or as trade goods.

The next event in the queue reminds me of something important. I haven't been setting province defense as I go (numerous cheap but weak troops that you can pay gold for and they defend your provinces if attacked).

Since I never added any PD, they took it without even a token resistance. 

Prophet Ogorol collects the lava warriors from the barracks and moves back out to the Spires of Ascension. He'll be able to attack the lightly defended Umidor the following turn. I'll let Warlord Steve deal with the small bandit infestation on his way back around.  I also give 2 of our Fire Gems to Ogorol. Some spells require gems to cast in combat, important spells such as summoning a fire elemental.  We don't have the research for that yet but it's not too far off and I'd rather him have the gems on him if it's needed. More Lava Warriors are recruited and this time a Warlock Apprentice to go with them. Our treasury can't quite support another full warlock and we already have a spare Anathemant Salamander on deck.

I was the last player this round so straight to

Turn 6. Early fall in the year 0
The only event this turn is our research reaching Conjuration level 2. Here's all the available spells that this unlocks for our nation:

The only one of these we have the mage's to cast are Summon Ogres. However, we don't have a steady income of earth gems to be able to afford to cast it.  The Summon Spectral Infantry is supposed to be decent for Abysia but we don't have access to death magic or death gems. This is really just a step on the path to Conjuration 3 where we get a few different useful spells. Regarding gem income, we're currently gaining 5 Fire Gems every month due to the unique sites located on our capital. Until we discover and conquer more sites those are the only gems we'll be getting.

For orders this turn Steve continues his long lonely march back and Ogorol prepares to attack what the scouts say is about 30 militia and heavy infantry in Umidor. Umidor isn't a mountain province so we should be able to get a noticeable bump to our gold income. For recruitment, 5 more Lava Warriors and another Warlock Apprentice. I spend the leftover gold to add 6 levels of Province Defense to each of the areas we control since even though I talked about it last turn I STILL forgot to do it! Since this turn was light on activities here's a wider view of our portion of the world.

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2020, 04:25:38 pm »

Turn 7. Fall in the year 0

Diplomacy happened after I submitted the last turn. Man's lands are just north of ours and we very nearly had our armies accidentally engage in fisticuffs over Umidor.  After some negotiation we agree on a non-aggression pact and a border that satisfies both of us.

Of course things can and likely will break down at some point but this at least lets us focus on expansion and maybe hunt down the dreaded Vanheim first.  Presumably wherever Agartha started, they are bee-lining for the cave complex since they get bonuses from caves.

Ogorl's army had no troubles at all in capturing Umidor and is ordered to move east to Lorborough next. After that both Steve and Ogorol can converge on the barbarians camped near our home if needed.

I can't help but notice that man has a Temple bordering out lands and a high dominion score there (the black and red candles indicate hostile dominion).

Given how strong I think his sacred units are it's not unreasonable for his nation to have strong dominion overall. I'll need to find the money for a border temple to counteract it and soon. The fact that Ogorol is there and is our Prophet is likely the only reason his dominion hasn't already eased its way into our territory.

For other events, we found a couple of extra fire gems in Abysia as well as two Death Gems.  In Boddern Weald a witch was caught and cursed the province during her execution.  That province has +3 Misfortune (bad)  and +2 Magic (good) now.  Steve will be able to reclaim Polgrave from the bandits next turn. I'm sure he's eager to fight after marching for so long.

I queue up recruitment of 4 Lava Warriors and an Anathemant Salamander.  I went with the Salamander over a warlock because he's a priest and I may very well need to have someone preaching on my border with man. Maybe the blood sacrifice thing can help with that too once I learn how to do it and find a few blood slaves. Actually why not. I give one of the warlock apprentices instructions to go find me some sacrificial virgins. He may not be successful and will often cause unrest to increase. I'm not ready for a full on blood hunt to jumpstart my blood magic yet but a little may be useful.  The last thing I do is order Alijan Ba'al the Salamander to move to the Spires of Ascension. I may sacrifice a recruiting turn to put a temple up there.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2020, 05:23:57 pm »

Well, you eventually have to give up a recruiting turn in order to have access to generic priests, which means you don't have to recruit them at the capital anymore.  If you have a province with a generic priest, I'd consider putting one there first.

Do you have graphs turned on for your game?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6