Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Let's Play Dominions 5 MA Abysia - Burning Sun  (Read 18194 times)

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Dominions 5 MA Abysia - Burning Sun
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2020, 04:32:04 pm »

Yeah I was just counting up Man's potential throne access if we finish Vanheim off. I think we're both expecting to be at one another's throats the minute the viking's go down and thanks for the hellfire info!

Turn 37. Spring in the year 3.

"Deepstrength the Oracle of the Ancients has claimed The Throne of Life in the name of The Second Stone, Master of the Oceans, King of Rain, God of Water." Seems like a good time for a thrones update.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Man currently has the most claimed points with Vanheim sitting on at least 2 unclaimed thrones at the moment. We're still behind in the ascension point race due to having only one throne in our province though we have access to another 3 along our borders.

Man and Vanheim had a battle in the Coatl Swamp that our scout reported on. Looks like they have another large stack in the area, or a smaller group that met up with the remnants of the army we fought recently.
From the reports we can note that Vanheim is still using the tactics of cavalry charging the rear on both flanks.

The claiming of The Throne of Life has made everyone in the world slightly younger. Our mages definitely appreciate it even if it's far too little to make a significant difference for any of them, and then we had the People's Death Match in the arena. Only 3 nations sent contenders, ourselves, Agartha, and Vanheim. Man was unrepresented in this. The first bought was Vanheim's Vanherse vs Agartha's Oracle of the Ancients.

Round 2:

The only other news this turn is that we have moved unopposed back into our siege at Halemyre and with the reinforcements we are quickly tearing down the fortress's walls. Nothing new order wise for our nation either. Jack's on his way to pick up the next group of reinforcements, The Veiled One is leading our army and combat mages in the siege, and recruitment is proceeding throughout the nation as per normal. 

Edit: I am at least beginning to consider a temporary truce with Vanheim (on the condition that they give up Halemyre so their fort here won't be threatening the adjacent throne) so we can focus on research and maybe grab one of the independent thrones in our territory as well as finish site searching.  Not sure it's wise quite yet with the army size they have shown but something to think about soon. I wouldn't want to give them the breather they need to come back with some overwhelming force and I'm not positive that our previous victory is repeatable. Any opinions?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 04:40:05 pm by oldark »

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2020, 07:09:54 pm »

Turn 38. Late Spring in the year 3.

Research for construction level 5 completed. Other than The Veiled One herself or a rare Anathemat Dragon random we don't have mages skilled enough to make use of anything here.

One of our Mages of Spring researching near our Throne of Spring had a lab accident and opened his mind to some kind of psychic horror. As a result he's now gotten Battle Fright (-5 Morale) as a permanent condition.  A treasure trove was found in Stone Grave Mountains, giving us several gems, a few hundred gold, and a magical Shield of the Accursed which has a chance to mark anyone striking it for interdimensional horrors.

In military news we've breached the gates of Halemyre and our army has been ordered to begin preparations for storming the fort. 

And it seems another legendary hero has elected to join us! Rago the Rage Lord appeared at the gates of our castle in Abysia to fight for The Veiled One!
  Some equipment is being forged for him before he begins leading a new Abysian army out of the capital.

Paimon the Slayer reports a large force of Militia in Zeburia, just north of the Vanheim Capital. He's been given orders to attempt to assassinate whoever is leading them. Success could result in some critical reinforcements for Vanheim being delayed by a month.
Asmodeus runs into a very similar situations in the Ferran Mountains.
Meanwhile Dakiel will continue to attempt taking out Vanheim researchers in Coatl Swamp.

The final orders given this month are for a couple of uses of Send Lesser Horror to the areas surrounding Halemyre with Kasbeel the slayer ready to plant the flag of Abysia should Kolermegor prove defenseless aftewards.

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 14, 2020, 07:35:12 pm »

Turn 39. Early Summer in the year3.

Some confusion on turn order on my part here. Our slayer attacked Kolermegor BEFORE the horrors hit. I though proper turn order was magic rituals -> movement -> combat.   Then the horrors hit it and wiped out the defenses.  And THEN the province flipped to our control anyway.  Our other two horror targets hit small units of non-pd and caused minimal damage.

Agartha has declared a new prophet- presumably their previous one was lost to Vanheim at some point - Golog the Decrepit.

--> At this point I got caught up in a bunch of work and ended up finishing the turn in little parts throughout the day. Unfortunately this means I couldn't really give a play by play of my thoughts so here's a quick summary. <--

We successfully stormed the fortress at Halemyre. Losing 5 Lava Warriors and defeating about 30 beserkers and a dozen assorted province defense. We also captured Kolermegor.  Turns out the reason the province flipped anyway is that one of our feeble minded warlocks turned scouts was entering the province this same month and he 'conquered' it for us.

A small Vanheim raiding force is attacking our back country.
Luckily they're on the wrong side of the river to really hit our heartland. They'd have to pass through the Lorborough fortress and the patrols we have there but they can still cause a bit of damage on this side.  It's a small group so I've bumped up some of the PD in the area to try and halt their advance, and Agartha has already cut off the way they came in.

The Veiled One moved to conquer the reportedly lightly defended province nearby while the mages accompanying her moved back towards Ba'an Dagor to replenish gems and pick up some fresh mages.

Oh and I almost forgot the big (bad) news!  Vanheim hit Man's main army near Vanheim itself. 3 Vanadrotts accounted for over 400 kills as they absolutely devastated the human force with massed lightning attacks. I'm not sure how well we'll hold up to that when their attention comes back our way but thankfully we do have some air access from the Mage's of Summer that we get from our throne. I've ordered one of them to forge a lightning spool. It does a few things bust most importantly gives the holder 15 shock resistance, which should stack with the 10 from our bless and make Then Veiled One tough to take down with lightning. 

Since I wrote this after the fact, I'll go straight into posting..

Turn 40. Summer in the year 3.

The remnants of Ogorol's power have left the world. That means we can now declare a new prophet. I don't have anyone in particular in mind at the moment so if anyone has a suggestion and/or wants to claim and name the prophet now's the time to speak up! Prophets can't be renamed once they are declared.  Next up we had one assassination attempt this turn. Forcalor the Slayer attempted to slay a Vanheim commander in Ard - home of the Throne of Pestilence.

Bogliod moved into Binophe to clean up after the Vanheim raiders and did so losing only one of his men. He's been ordered back to his standard patrol at Lorborough immediately. The raiding force tried to move into Bitra next but the extra province defense raised there last month was  enough - barely - to defeat them.

The Veiled One's attack on Vlecz was effectively unopposed. The dozen militia there didn't even land a blow. She is moving back to Ba'an Dagor to exchange equipment for the lightning resistance item forged this past month.

Overview shot:
Random event's this month delivered another scattering of gems to our labs and the blood hunters in Dothian had far better than average luck. Since 3/4 of the hunters in that group are Blood 3, Astral 3 mages I've changed their orders to summon a horror and then retreat if they're attacked. That should be a nice surprise for any raiding parties that reach them.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 14, 2020, 08:56:02 pm »

The small marauding army could be a good target for a couple horror rituals, methinks.

I propose either the raging ragu hero or one of the slayers to be renamed Dave and declared prophet.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2020, 03:42:18 am »

I'm still alive!  It's amazing how well you can get on when you focus on the mundane and let others grab the glory.

As for the militia horde, my guess is that Van got the event where a swarm of militia join them for free.  Debate rages among the Dominions community whether to classify this as a Good or Bad event.  Killing the leader is a good move, as it means those units are useless yet still claiming a paycheck.  Wish I was that lucky right now.

I'm all in favor of Dave the Prophet.  If you want a buff warrior or warrior-priest, go with the Ragu hero.  If you want a stealth preacher or buff assassin, go with the slayer.

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2020, 12:21:21 pm »

Two votes is good enough for me! Next turn I'll pick one of the slayer's not doing assassinations to become Dave the Prophet, just because the assassin slayers have a much shorter lifespan and I'd rather not have a prophet die every couple of turns after one is promoted :)  Jack's back in Abysia just patrolling to pass time at the moment, since Ragu will lead the next force that marches out by default, Jack has some downtime!
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 12:46:10 pm by oldark »

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2020, 10:33:52 am »

Turn 41. Late Summer in the year 3.

I immediately tried to prophetise one of out scouts but the option isn't there. I assume they have to be located at a temple to do so and Dave begins the ritual to become a prophet of The Veiled One in Pholothras.  On second look, there's not a temple there but Dave can still perform the ritual. Maybe it just requires being within friendly domain or territory?

Construction research completed level 6 this month. This unlocks forging of "very powerful magic items". The only one I know from memory that we really want to dive into are lightless lanterns.

The Veiled One moves to Ba'an  Dagor to reform the army and modify equipment. Jack leaves the capital to deliver more infantry to the front, and we've spent about 150 of our 180 fire gems on lightless lanterns. While there are still many fire mages not making them that's about as 'all-in' as I think we should go on it and even this may prove too much.  Research continues down the blood magic path.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2020, 07:31:55 pm »

Going all in like you have on Lightless Lanterns is a pretty typical Abysia move.  A pretty good one, from what I've seen generally.  What are you planning with all that research?  Is there something special?
....we won't tell, you can trust us  :D

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 18, 2020, 12:32:13 pm »

Turn 42. Early Fall in the year 3.

Let's be honest EuchreJack, I don't know what I"m doing ^_^.  I just know fire is minimally effective against both elves and Agartha so I'm deep diving blood.  I was aiming for astral corruption but that doesn't effect combat mages I think so it won't be as useful as I'd like. Definitely blood vortex though I don't have a good place for it. Maybe just bite the population bullet and drop it on Abysia itself with patrols to keep unrest down.

Other than that I'm liking both the Send Horror (the nastier version) and the Thug options that I think come from many of these summons. First time playing a blood nation though so everything past blood 6ish is new to me!

I'm concerned this turn with the dominion score in Umidor. It has gone from supporting The Vieled One to have two candles for Lifebringer.
I've got a priest loaded up with slaves moving back to it for sacrifices this turn. I suspect there are sneaking priests of Man there as well. I'm going to send the blood hunters back that way shortly and patrols will follow right along with them.

All hail Dave the Prophet!
  I think Dave is going to primarily be focused on weakening enemy dominion by scouting along areas and spreading the word of The Veiled One as he goes.  Immediately though I'm sending him to Umidor as well to help push the followers of Lifebringer back out.

For random events we found some gold and gems again but nothing else of note and no interesting battles this turn either. It seems like Vanheim may be massing forces in Steppe of Wild Horses though.  Research went from 572 points/month to 1054 per month between the lanterns and the new recruits put on research duty.  Disease Demon looks halfway decent so our only Blood level 5 warlock, Xaphan, tosses a test casting of it.  Some of our level 4's spend the month forging Blood Thorn daggers, which primarily are used to increase the blood magic skill of the wielder by +1.

The Veiled One, now in Ba'an Dagor swaps our her Burning Pearl for a Storm Spool (shock resistance) and collects her mage reinforcements before moving back out towards the Vanheim front. Here's our army and it's setup - the Salamanders not visible on the detail page are all copying the same script as the others.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 18, 2020, 09:25:25 pm »

Make sure to send the Disease Demon into someone else's territory.

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2020, 11:45:17 am »

Turn 43. Fall in the year 3.

A dire portent!

Our disease demon performed... okay I suppose. It attacked a Vanjarl and had it's rear handed to it, but it was able to disease the unit before dieing so unless he can heal diseases in someway the unit will die in 8ish turns.

An excellent unexpected event in Dothian. A wave of religious fervor swept the populace there and 50 of our humanbred infantry formed up in the region. They will be shifted into a patrol leader as soon as possible.  Since we are relying on friendly dominion for The Veiled One to maintain her strength, I've ordered that they army move into the Faery Forest and attempt to control the throne located there (The Throne of the Stars). It looks like Vanheim is a minimum of 2 turns away so as long as the defenses there don't prove far more dangerous than expected we should be able to claim it with minimal losses and still move in to defend Halemyre.

We're also going to try an experiment. 5 Warlocks are going to move towards the throne in Copper Woods and try to summon a few Horrors before retreating.
It will be several months before they can travel that distance but they've been given half a dozen blood slaves each and begun their travel.

Turn 44. Fall in the Year 3.

Two Boots of the Messenger arrived from Man. We discussed this as part of the firegem payment many months ago. He also sent along a few blood slaves.

Speaking of blood, research to level 7 blood magic completed this turn.  We're well beyond the farthest I've gotten in single player regarding blood research. I think Father Illearth is a good choice here maybe to gear up similar to The Veiled One and be able to hold nearly as well. Arch Devil's as well.  I also think that Leech become the 'default' damage spam spell that blood mages use in combat. Summon Dream Horror says it causes unrest until found and the spell description says +30 unrest on cast.  If that's 30 unrest per turn until it's found that could be amazing for shutting down enemy income or making them waste troops patrolling.

Vanheim attacked our province defense in Kolermegor. Primarily a force of Einheres. 

Our attack on the Fey Forest went very well. We have claimed the province with the loss of a single hellbred giant. The Veiled One beings the ritual to claim The Throne of the Stars while construction of a palisade begins.

We saw a huge force from Man advancing through some of the remaining independent provinces. Presumably either to claim the nearby throne or to attack Agartha.

Diplomacy Interlude
Some negotiations with Man. He's moving towards the throne at 1 on the map below. We've previously agreed kinda sorta that he can have the throne at 2 when he's capable of taking it. With him at 4 ascension points he can't be allowed to take both.  With the strong defenses on each it's good to assume that either both are level 2's or one is a level 3 throne. Either combination means he wins. I've agreed to not contest him at 1, let Agartha defend that throne but 2 is fair game for both of us. Additionally we've agreed to a 3 turn delay between any declaration of war between our nations and any hostile activities.

Three more disease demons are being sent out this turn to try their luck and construction of a Starshine Skullcap has been ordered. This magical helmet will increase the Astral magic abilities of it's wearer.

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 20, 2020, 01:45:18 pm »

Turn 45. Early Winter in the year 3.

First off, two thrones were claimed this time. Bob the Oracle of the Ancients claimed The Throne of Thorns in the name of The Second Stone and, of course, The Veiled One, Mistress of the Wildlife, Queen of Nature, the Hidden One has claimed The Throne of Stars.  This was followed by Man announcing a new prophet: Hengest the Knight of the Stone.

Man then attacked the throne along the border with Agartha, in DwoAna. They were successful but not without losses.

Vanheim then launched two attacks on our lands. The first was against the province defense in Vlecz.

The second was into Halemyre to lay siege to our fortress there.

Bogliod's men caught a Vanheim scout trying to get through Lorborough and gave him swift justice at the end of a crossbow bolt.

One Salamander stays behind at the Thone of Stars to prepare a lab there, the rest of the army moves into Halemyre to relieve the siege. Some good news in site searching as well, Mount Chaining was discovered near the Throne of Stars. This site doesn't give gems but any blood magic rituals performed there will cost 30% fewer slaves. This is an amazing discount. If it can be secured well enough we definitely would want to have a lab and a group of warlocks there.

The costs of the lab prevent any of the usual recruitment this turn.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2020, 10:27:38 am »

Cast Astral Corruption when you are able.  It's one of those FU everyone spells, but that probably won't be a problem when you cast it.
Arch Demons and Father Il are also good, maybe cast some of that before Astral Corruption, since you'll become public enemy #1 when you cast it.

I'm really not sure if Astral Corruption is going to wreck your ability to construct items, so get a stockpile.  But you're in the end game, so don't wait too long.

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2020, 04:34:14 pm »

Turn 46. Winter in the year 3.

3 Vine shields received from Man and that news is followed by Vanheim attacking us in Pustinia and wiping out the province defenses there.

I think our best move is to head into that snowy region east of their army (Vlecz).  He'll either retreat back to there, or try to kill off more of our lightly defended provinces.  Even odds I think that he retreats or moves towards The Throne of Stars.

Not much else of note. A few lesser horrors are sent towards some potentially soft targets, a few disease demons targeting both his army and his research center. With any luck we'll catch his movement and if its the 3 mages that catch it maybe they can do enough damage with their elementals to be worthwhile.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 22, 2020, 05:49:54 pm »

Assassinate the sole Vanherse then laugh at his immobilized army.

What if Van uses its army east of you to attack your army, hoping that you'll have moved it elsewhere?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6