Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Let's Play Dominions 5 MA Abysia - Burning Sun  (Read 17941 times)

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Dominions 5 MA Abysia - Burning Sun
« Reply #75 on: April 23, 2020, 09:45:13 pm »

Turn 47. Late Winter in the year 3.

I have been spamming so many assassinations lately that I've stopped reporting them. If anyone claims a named assassin I'll give his/her play by plays but otherwise I'm hitting anywhere from 2-6 attempts per turn sometimes :)    The vanherse you mentioned had a disease demon hit him. Wasn't enough to kill him but it DID inflict both a disease and a never healing wound.

Vanheim did NOT move into Vlecz, so our army just annihilated a small province defense force without taking any losses or using any gems. Instead the Vanheim force moved to Aenasia and cleared our defense out there at minor cost to themselves.  Agartha warned us that the large army of sacreds beseiging him vanished last month so it may be in our vicinity.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The Mages that were sent to slow or halt this force in Tenera are thankfully still healthy enough that they can make the move to Vanheims likely next destination.

and our experimental warlock party will make a poke at the level 3 (most likely) throne this month.

Finally I decide to take a risk with our main army and attack Kolermegor. 

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 24, 2020, 04:12:46 pm »

Turn 48. Early Spring in the year 4.

After various assassination results, we received the battle report of our experimental warlock attack on the Copper Woods.

We didn't win but did cause a significant amount of damage.  The fatigue cost of this spell or the casting time was significant. Best I can tell the warlocks only cast it a single time each and the enemy army was on them before they recovered from the fatigue. The plan may work better if there's a wall of chaff to buy them time, or maybe consider sabbathing them up.

Our scouts managed to claim an unprotected province in the Windswept Desert and our army was successful in Kolermegor.

However Vanheim surprised us by moving to besiege Ba'an Dagor.  Other news of note is that our palisades protecting the Throne of the Stars has been completed.  Again we try to make some predictions as to his destination, but also send a few lesser horrors out to try and weaken him before he moves. The question next is where do we order The Veiled One and her army to march to. I would love to push into Van territory and siege their fort but hesitate to do so within their own dominion. I suppose we have enough priests now that we could recall her in a single turn if need be but that would still be an expensive loss.

After some consideration, we'll ping the defenses there with one of our scouts while the army preaches and builds a temple in Kolermegor.

Overview:

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 25, 2020, 11:55:09 am »

Turn 49. Spring in the year 4.

Blood Magic level 8 has been researched. Blood Vortex is a global spell here of interest. It will provide a steady supply of slaves if we're able to cast it. Life for a Life looks like a powerful combat spell as well, putting out 40+ Armor Negating damage per cast.  Bind Heliophagus seems powerful as well, I think these guys are improved arch devils maybe? Not completely sure.  Our first order of business will be to get the blood vortex up. We'll try to place it by the Throne of Stars for the 30% discount.

Or horror attack on the van raiding party were successful, catching them outside the walls of Ba'an Dagor.  Unfortunately their leader got away.

Vanheim did hit our PD in the Windswept Desert. They came with a Vanjarl leading 26 ogres. The single cavalryman we had stationed there expectedly did nothing but report on it.

Are army decides to take the risk and attack the Van fortress at Steppe of Wild Horses.  There is quite a bit of risk involving this since we will be out of our own dominion.

New problem, at this point a scouting report from our coast came in.

This puts Man at a potential win next turn if both of those unclaimed ones are level 2's. Or a victory when he claims the one in Carrion Woods otherwise.  Such a close path to victory necessitates a change in policy. Emmissaries are immediately send to both Vanheim and Agartha regarding this information.

-- Interlude--

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 25, 2020, 09:11:04 pm »

Turn 49. Spring in the year 4. (continued)

No word back from The Second Stone. Udainsakr did reply but did so with unreasonable demands that we not only cede to him all conquered land but also the Throne of the Stars which he had no prior claim to.  The response from their emissary was effectively "give in to these demands or we will guarantee that Lifebringer ascends to true godhood." 

The only major changes to current orders will be that Ragu may need to turn around and be prepared for a battle against Man. Otherwise the massed research mages and patrol units should be able to form up a powerful enough force to at least temporarily stop him. Our best past to victory seems to be to focus on eliminating Vanheim as quickly as possible before they are able to add great a weight onto Man's victory push.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 26, 2020, 06:30:30 am »

Udainsakr might have meant something different.  It's possible they're negotiating with the thought of alliance instead of truce.  Or maybe they just want the game to be over, one way or the other.  They probably want to attack you for a turn before thinking of doing anything else.

Maybe try and blitz the thrones you need for victory somehow?

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 27, 2020, 02:13:26 pm »

Turn 50. Late Spring in the year 4.

Not the greatest of turns here unfortunately.  We suffered a major defeat at the Steppe of Wild Horses.

while smaller forces hit our lightly defended borderland provinces.

Man has a large army adjacent to the level 3 throne that will likely be able to take it next round.

In spite of the bad news there's really not much to report on in detail this go around. Our researchers begin calling the Veiled one back. It shouldn't take more than 1-2 turns and she already has gear ready to requip herself and in reality the 'army' she was leading was the smallest of our 3 groups.

Order are given to destroy the fort in Halemyre, we won't let them use it as a staging area or to improve their defenses here.

Overview:

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 29, 2020, 06:14:28 pm »

Turn 51. Early Summer in the year 4.

Long event list this turn but most of it is standard stuff.  Man claimed The Outer Throne and Agartha claimed The Throne of Pestilence.

Forneus the Anathemant Salamander conquered Pustinia with the help of his fire elementals. Unfortunately the one send to Ferran Mountains was run down by a fast cavalry charge and failed.  Vanheim always tried to hit Bitra with a raiding party but the pumped province defense from a few turns ago wiped them out and Rago the Rage Lord successfully defeated the guards in Binophe.  (anyone have a suggestion for an easy way to take a screen shot and drop text labels on it for times like this?  I tried in ms paint but my handwritten scrawl wasn't legible)

Dunheim suffered a nasty event this turn. One of the local nobles revealed himself to be a vampire and attacked the province. with over 60 men and vampires. Our defenders didn't stand a chance and they're now beseiging the fortress there that is protecting The Throne of Spring.

The first order of business then is to have Xaphan the Warlock don his Armor of Souls and use the power boost it provides to summon the Blood Vortex. This game is wrapping up quickly from the looks of it but dammit I WILL cast one big ritual spell before it ends.

Ragu turns back towards Abysia, a battle with Man is about to break out and his warriors will be needed. A couple of warlocks moves towards the level 3 throne in order to at least harrass Man if they take it, and that's about it.

Turn 52. Summer in the year 4.

The nation rejoices! The Veiled One, Mistress of Wildlife, Queen of Nature, the Hidden One has risen from the dead in order to kill more heathens!

Vanheim moved in to siege the Throne of Stars. Not much we can do but hold it as long as possible and Man conquered the throne near Abysia.

The two warlocks defending our fort in the Faery Forest spend most of our slaves this turn casting infernal breeding in an attempt to build numbers up enough to protect the walls and every warlock in our capital is ordered to blood hunt. That'll tank our economy for 2-3 turns due to the unrest it will cause but at this point I think it'll have to do. Ragu continues marching towards the border with Man and The Veiled One hops over the mountains to prepare for an assault of her own and finally two mages are sent to try and elemental down the vampire menace.

Since we're coming to an all or nothing moment, I've also ordered the research team to march out and join the Veiled One. The lack of troop support is going to hurt a lot but maybe they can handle the men.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 29, 2020, 07:56:08 pm »

Wouldn't it make more sense to have most mages conjurer up some troops?  Even lowly Imps could help leave the mages less vulnerable.

oldark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 29, 2020, 08:40:00 pm »

Yeah I would have if I had the slaves to spare. After those two conjured troops up I was left with about 6 slaves leftover.

Turn 52. Late Summer in the year 4.

Good game to the other players! Man comes in with a throne victory after claiming The Throne of the Sun with both Abysia and Agartha a single turn from contesting.

I enjoyed writing this up. I know there were only a few vocal followers but a large view count - would yall like me to write up the next game here as well?  We'll likely start in the next day or two in late age. I'll either be finishing up the cycle as LA Abysia or going with LA Ragha as the surviving splinters of our great nation.

Edit: The final throne points screen as was suggested and the score graphs as well.
Thrones:

Provinces:

Forts:

Income:

Gem Income:

Research:

Dominion:

Army  Size:
« Last Edit: April 30, 2020, 06:00:14 pm by oldark »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 30, 2020, 12:41:55 am »

I'd be interested!

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 30, 2020, 03:34:54 am »

Ha, sneaky Man does what sneaky Man does.

It was a good read and an interesting game. Keep it up if you feel like it.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]