Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Titan Arms Race - Side A  (Read 5395 times)

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Titan Arms Race - Side A
« on: March 25, 2020, 01:12:13 pm »

Side A

Core Thread : Link
Discord : Link

Welcome brave engineers to Titan, land of ritual combat, robot vehicles, and utterly huge piloted Mecha. Here, for whatever reason, your side and the enemy will duke things out in ways that don’t lead to dead planets, in ancient honorable combat. And Drill Punching, probably, but that’s honorable right?

Still, combat has not yet started. As is traditional, each side has a certain amount of time to work up before the giant robots start pummeling each other. As is also traditional, neither side gets to import anything, materials or designs. Each side starts fresh, here in the Arena born from the Moon Titan, where Titans rule the battlefield. Only the best side will win, the side with the bravest pilots, the most cunning planners, the more deranged and brilliant designers.

And even though combat has not yet started, your side already plots a path to final victory. And bragging rights. Those are important too. As combat has not started yet, you find yourself with additional time and spare resources with which to do design actions. This allows you to do two design actions, instead of one, for each turn until combat starts.

As well, there’s another important question that needs to be answered. Who are you, anyway? What side do you champion? The spectators want to know. As such, throughout the first turn, you’ll be given the chance to write fluff about your side and why it fights, before voting for which set of fluff, and which side name, is correct at the end of the revision phase.

Starting Resource Point Total : 15

Spoiler: Initial Designs (click to show/hide)

Index
Turn -4 : Design Phase, Revision Phase, Extra Phase
Turn -3 : Design Phase, Revision Phase
Turn -2 : Design Phase, Revision Phase
Turn -1 : Design Phase, Revision Phase
Turn 0 : Design Phase, Revision Phase, Battle Phase
Turn 1 : Design Phase, Revision Phase, Battle Phase
Turn 2 : Design Phase, Revision Phase, Battle Phase
Turn 3 : Design Phase, Revision Phase, Battle Phase
Turn 4 : Design Phase, Revision Phase, Battle Phase
Turn 5 : Design Phase, Revision Phase, Battle Phase
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 01:03:26 am by Happerry »
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Titan Arms Race - Side A
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 01:34:39 pm »

Well, I suppose I'll side with A. I'll look into thinking up some ideas later.

Edit:
A fairly simple(seeming) idea. Decided to go with a Greek Mythology theme for our Titan parts. Also, any part I make that has 'Class' in the name, is going to be part of a completed Titan design. So generally, I'm only going to be putting this title on legs and torso's.

Quote from: Titan Legs: Ares Class Titan Treads
Legs on machines have several long known problems. Certainly titans are already outrageous enough that such problems matter far less, but hey, why not deal with them anyway. Our solution? Instead of legs, a set of Titan grade Treads.

These treads are wider than the Torso itself by a good bit, and even longer still, meaning that the Titan with them is far harder to knock over. These treads are also quite a bit more heavily armored(on the upper half at least) than the standard legs, which need to compromise on armor in order to have joints. With all the extra space between the two tracks, we've been able to fit an extra generator for the Titan.

To top it all off, the top and sides of the treads armor have several hardpoints for automated turrets to be mounted namely, the ones used on the standard vehicles. Missiles and pulse cannons on the top, pulse cannons and regular cannons on the sides.

Of course, these benefits do not come without drawbacks. Legs make the Titan more agile, allowing better turning and just general evasion. Not to mention, these treads aren't quite as fast as the standard legs. However, we feel that, all-in-all, the benefits more than make up for the flaws
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 06:33:20 pm by Failbird105 »

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 02:21:51 pm »

Right, I will join the Glorious and obviously better Side of A!

Anyhow; as for ideas... I had one, one that we likely cannot do immediately, but one we can work towards. The idea being a Support Vehicle capable of deploying 'hologram screens', the ultimate idea being to conceal what exactly our titan is doing at any given moment. I figure a Titan Punch or whatever would be a lot more effective if the first indication they get of it happening is not the fist winding up or whatever, but of the fist itself rocketing forwards through the illusion we erect between our Titans, yes? (Doesn't have to be a fist, them not being able to react to the exact aim of a Titan Cannon or whatever to guard or dodge the shot would be just as helpful) Obviously, part of this is making it so we aren't hampered by the same. But a long term goal it is.

(GMs: Does it have to be a giant 'robot'? I'm not asking about the giant part, obviously the theme is to have giant warmachines fight, I am asking how much leeway we have over the shape of the things)

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 02:42:39 pm »

Lore: Atlantis, the Ocean Planet

Floating above the stormy waves, massive craft with specialized shields protect from the violent storms, winds, and waters outside. This is the Base of Atlantis, where the design teams have made their base for the upcoming war. In one of the Towers that make up the central city of engineering, those responsible for creating come together to plan, the best in their fields.

Atlantis, the Ocean Planet, has long been flooded by the melting of the ice caps, storms running rampant. However, when it comes to technology, theirs is quite a bit ahead of others, and those same conditions made actually taking the planet over next to impossible. However, it's sea life is one of the most developed in the galaxy, as are the homes and cities they developed to survive the end of the age of landmasses.

Granted, this war is more about tertiary expansion, as Atlantis has a few AR Wars already under it's ocean. Atlantians as a whole tend to like having more planets, as that means more Green Worlds for things like agriculture, nature hikes, and natural resource acquisition. And their current territory is perfect for defending from, as it makes sea-going titans a necessity to conquer it, and will swat anything else out of the sky into the waters. And Atlantis has long since made a living out of creating Flying and Sea Titans to conquer others.

Sea Dragon Frame: Deimos

The Sea Dragon Frame is probably one of the most Iconic of Atlantis' designs. While having four clawed arms for grasping, the main function is it's body which can hold weapons, and the head which often has an energy weapon. It coils around the opponent to crust it and/or drag them down to the sea where it has the advantage. And in the water it is quite fast, boating thrusters along with streamlined wing/fins for control of the body.

However, an issue lies in it being somewhat time consuming to design and produce. Therefore, the Deimos Model is simply the Torso Section for now, without the arms designed for grasping the prey, or the head which it is known for.

In that manner, a long streamlined body made with the wing/fins and thrusters allowing for great speed in the water, meant to coil around a target and drag it down to the abyss, slowly crushing it. The weapons with which to deal damage will come later.

GM will have to give ruling, given the idea I had with all that water to play around in. Chinese Dragon specialized for water combat. With a later flying dragon more based on western models.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 03:15:41 pm by TricMagic »

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 03:19:25 pm »

(GMs: Does it have to be a giant 'robot'? I'm not asking about the giant part, obviously the theme is to have giant warmachines fight, I am asking how much leeway we have over the shape of the things)
Yeah, please generally stick to humanoid.
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 03:21:28 pm »

: (

I kinda liked the idea of dragon mechs.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2020, 03:28:53 pm »

Yeah, please generally stick to humanoid.
As a reminder/clarification, the basic format is two arms, one torso, and one legs. If you want to stretch the format, that's not impossible, but the basic format is still the guideline one should remember as the baseline. A bird torso with wings is still a torso, and won't magically invent special wing parts which you can then design. Even if it does have wings with which to fly.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2020, 03:30:23 pm »

Another idea I had with the Titan theme.
Quote from: Titan Arm: Hecatoncheires Unit, Type 1
The Hecatoncheires unit is an... interesting model of Titan arm. Simply put, instead of one arm, it is one mount, with three smaller arms. The Type 1 has a mace wielding arm, a cannon arm, and a grasping arm, but other models will likely be made in the future with different configurations of arms all together.

Having three arms per slot means more variety in weaponry, as well as not being crippled by losing one arm. The arm mount can also rotate, allowing the different arms to be moved to the front or back as needed. By default, the Mace and Grasper are in the front, with the cannon at the back.

Of course, this setup naturally comes with flaws. Firstly, smaller arms are more fragile, obviously.  Less armor and all that. Second, it's not exactly easy to control 3 arms at once. So less skilled crews will often stick to using only the frontmost arm and rotating others in as needed.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 04:42:56 pm by Failbird105 »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2020, 05:02:40 pm »

Hermes Class Hoverskater Legs

Designed using the Hover Transport Vehichle as the base, the Hoverskater Legs are meant for fast forward movements, allowing mechs that equip them to skate across the ground or sea at high speed. However on water they require constant movement to prevent sinking, and both applications take up plenty of power which prevents anything from being equipped on them. In exchange for that flaw though, they are fairly well armored, and the majority of the systems are at the lower half of the legs. As well, the power supplies built in can be used to power the rest of the mech if it isn't skating on water, or accept power from other sources on the mech to keep them running.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 01:22:25 pm by TricMagic »

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2020, 06:30:46 pm »

Another Torso. I do not expect us to make it this turn. Hell, I'm not even sure we can make it in the prelim turns at all. Ideally, we want to wait until we already have Titan level missiles, lasers, and cannons before even attempting this.
Quote from: Titan Torso: Ares Class Titan Chassis, Mk. α
There's one fact of the battlegrounds of Titan. If the enemy Titans is destroyed, you win. And well, you aren't exactly going to be destroying any enemy Titans without extreme firepower. In comes the Ares Chassis.

The Ares Chassis is loaded up with not one, not two, but three anti-Titan weapons. On its back, is a launcher for six anti-Titan missiles, packed with a HEAT payload. The Ares' "head", is actually a high powered laser turret, capable of swivelling around a full 360 degrees. Finally, embedded directly into the Ares' "chest", is a massive forward facing cannon.

Each of these weapons are devastating in their own right, and they certainly become no less so together... However, this comes with problems. For one, having an enormous cannon jutting out of the front of the torso leads to issues with balance. Biped style legs will struggle to support an Ares torso without the whole Titan toppling forward. And with the cannon being a static frontal mount, the mech has to rotate directly to face the target.
As for the missile launcher, there are only six missiles. This means that support units will need to be made in order to reload the mech in battle. And the missiles are not particularly agile, so Titans focused more on mobility will be able to handily avoid them if not distracted or disabled properly.
Finally the laser, obviously, being a high power energy weapon, it uses a significant amount of power to fire consistently, making using other energy weapons difficult without a secondary power generator somewhere else in the Titan.

As can be seen, this torso is very clearly made to be paired with its corresponding legs.The Ares Treads solving both the balance and power issues. Even without them though, this set of weaponry can be devastating, as long as you have Legs that can handle it.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2020, 06:40:32 pm »

Another Torso. I do not expect us to make it this turn. Hell, I'm not even sure we can make it in the prelim turns at all. Ideally, we want to wait until we already have Titan level missiles, lasers, and cannons before even attempting this.
Quote from: Titan Torso: Ares Class Titan Chassis, Mk. α
There's one fact of the battlegrounds of Titan. If the enemy Titans is destroyed, you win. And well, you aren't exactly going to be destroying any enemy Titans without extreme firepower. In comes the Ares Chassis.

The Ares Chassis is loaded up with not one, not two, but three anti-Titan weapons. On its back, is a launcher for six anti-Titan missiles, packed with a HEAT payload. The Ares' "head", is actually a high powered laser turret, capable of swivelling around a full 360 degrees. Finally, embedded directly into the Ares' "chest", is a massive forward facing cannon.

Each of these weapons are devastating in their own right, and they certainly become no less so together... However, this comes with problems. For one, having an enormous cannon jutting out of the front of the torso leads to issues with balance. Biped style legs will struggle to support an Ares torso without the whole Titan toppling forward. And with the cannon being a static frontal mount, the mech has to rotate directly to face the target.
As for the missile launcher, there are only six missiles. This means that support units will need to be made in order to reload the mech in battle. And the missiles are not particularly agile, so Titans focused more on mobility will be able to handily avoid them if not distracted or disabled properly.
Finally the laser, obviously, being a high power energy weapon, it uses a significant amount of power to fire consistently, making using other energy weapons difficult without a secondary power generator somewhere else in the Titan.

As can be seen, this torso is very clearly made to be paired with its corresponding legs.The Ares Treads solving both the balance and power issues. Even without them though, this set of weaponry can be devastating, as long as you have Legs that can handle it.

?

I think that we design parts, not a full blown torso with multiple weapons inside at once.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2020, 07:05:51 pm »

?

I think that we design parts, not a full blown torso with multiple weapons inside at once.
Quote, directly from the OP of the core thread:

As designers, you can, and should, develop new arms, legs, and torsos

Of note about titan parts, you can put weapons, or other gear, on any part
I'd honestly believe it if we couldn't design Titan weapons that weren't already incorporated into a body part.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 07:07:57 pm by Failbird105 »

m1895

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2020, 07:47:15 pm »

Sol Invicta-class Heavy Ranged Titan arm
The Sol Invicta is based around one thing: Lasers. And nowhere is this more obvious than in the arms.
The Heavy Ranged arm boasts a truly massive laser pulse array, it's direct fire is capable of killing light Titans with a single well-placed shot, though such firepower comes at the cost of fire rate and AOE, the Laser can only sustain a pulse for microseconds before the capacitors need to recharge, meaning it cannot be sweeped over a vehicle swarm to destroy it, and the capacitors can take up to 20 seconds to recharge.

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2020, 08:02:16 pm »

Zeus Titan Arm

The Zeus Titan Arm is a simple concept; most Titans are mechanical in nature. Electricity really fucks with electronics. Also, electricity can look badass. The Zeus is a moderately armored arm that is mundane in most capacities - except for it's main and only armament, the Thunder Cannon. The thunder cannon condenses large amounts of lightning into a ball, using an electromagnetic field to contain it, and then fires it at the enemy at high speed. While the weapon is not the most effective against armor - it does it's damage, but when it lands on exposed parts, it acts as a local EMP, frying and disrupting electric systems and possibly shutting down an otherwise intact limb or section of torso.
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Tyrant Leviathan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2020, 09:00:27 pm »

Hmm the Zeus arm looks the best as a weapon, fry the circuits, harvest the fallen machines.

Though new torsos and legs are needed at some point as well.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5