Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Titan Arms Race - Side B  (Read 9202 times)

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Titan Arms Race - Side B
« on: March 25, 2020, 01:12:55 pm »

Side B

Core Thread : Link
Discord : Link

Welcome brave engineers to Titan, land of ritual combat, robot vehicles, and utterly huge piloted Mecha. Here, for whatever reason, your side and the enemy will duke things out in ways that don’t lead to dead planets, in ancient honorable combat. And Drill Punching, probably, but that’s honorable right?

Still, combat has not yet started. As is traditional, each side has a certain amount of time to work up before the giant robots start pummeling each other. As is also traditional, neither side gets to import anything, materials or designs. Each side starts fresh, here in the Arena born from the Moon Titan, where Titans rule the battlefield. Only the best side will win, the side with the bravest pilots, the most cunning planners, the more deranged and brilliant designers.

And even though combat has not yet started, your side already plots a path to final victory. And bragging rights. Those are important too. As combat has not started yet, you find yourself with additional time and spare resources with which to do design actions. This allows you to do two design actions, instead of one, for each turn until combat starts.

As well, there’s another important question that needs to be answered. Who are you, anyway? What side do you champion? The spectators want to know. As such, throughout the first turn, you’ll be given the chance to write fluff about your side and why it fights, before voting for which set of fluff, and which side name, is correct at the end of the revision phase.

Starting Resource Point Total : 15

Spoiler: Initial Designs (click to show/hide)

Index
Turn -4 : Design Phase, Revision Phase, Extra Phase
Turn -3 : Design Phase, Revision Phase
Turn -2 : Design Phase, Revision Phase
Turn -1 : Design Phase, Revision Phase
Turn 0 : Design Phase, Revision Phase, Battle Phase
Turn 1 : Design Phase, Revision Phase, Battle Phase
Turn 2 : Design Phase, Revision Phase, Battle Phase
Turn 3 : Design Phase, Revision Phase, Battle Phase
Turn 4 : Design Phase, Revision Phase, Battle Phase
Turn 5 : Design Phase, Revision Phase, Battle Phase
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 01:03:44 am by Happerry »
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Titan Arms Race - Side B
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2020, 01:56:28 pm »

It is the first design phase, correct?

"Asura" Type Torso: Our Asura class Titans focus on pure firepower. To that end, the torso is capable of equipping 4 Arms consequentially doubling its firepower. This model of torso is honeycombed with rocket pods, allowing it to further supplement its firepower with bursts of armor-piercing rockets with low accuracy but very high numbers. Firepower firepower firepower.

Who are you?

BetaTech Industries, a space-fairing corporation turned megacorp after we made the big bucks. With an initial focus on asteroid mining, we've long known how to extract the maximum amount of resources from the universe for maximum profit. We are naturally opposed by other megacorps for profit reasons, competing over mining rights, high-end contracts, intellectual property, and other vectors of corporate warfare. Nation states occasionally fight us over those exact causes, but more commonly have ideological reasons for fighting like "You BetaTech guys think you are above the law!" and we have to prove to them that we totally are.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2020, 02:23:52 pm »

Transcendence Artificial Collective

The Transcendence Artificial Collective treats AI as friends, not tools. Formed initially from a technologically advanced society in a far corner of the Galaxy, they quickly spread across both the internet and their neighboring region, becoming a synergistic force to be reckoned with. They rose to prominence in the galaxy by shipping highly popular software and games, though some nation states and corporations have been hesitant to adopt their products due to silly concerns like "Privacy" and "Cybersecurity".

Oracle Support Drone

A small, specialized branch of a predictive AI, these support drones boast broad-spectrum sensor suites and powerful flight discs, allowing them to feed back information to their parent AI for predictive analysis to be used by both pilots and other vehicles. Like they say, "If you can't predict the future, you don't have a large enough data set".
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2020, 08:34:46 pm »

Fleet-Empire Aster

The Fleet-Empire is a constantly traveling collection of massive ships governed by their own Captain-Kings all overseen by an Admiral-Emperor. The Fleet-Empire often disregards borders during their travels, moving with impunity wherever they deem necessary. While a majority of civilizations welcome trade with the massive fleet, these other empires always keep one eye to the Asterites as they tend to disregard societal norms in place through most planet-bound civilizations. The Fleet-Empire does supplement a fair bit of goods with trade, but most of their wealth and resources come from exploiting unclaimed celestial bodies (mining asteroids, breaking down planets, extracting elements from gas giants and stars). This widespread exploitation has made them a number of enemies as civilizations lay claim further and further from their home planets. Indeed, a number of conflicts have arisen after space-faring peoples landed on a planet for colonization only to realize it'd been mined out between the time they'd left their homes and when they'd arrived.

Nebula-type Torso

The Nebula is a torso designed with an emphasis on protection. This may not seem to be the case at first glance, as the armor applied is only somewhat thicker and more resilient than a basic torso, but the beauty lies on the inside.

A series of sensors and scanners provides detailed information on incoming projectiles fed directly into installed defensive systems. A Close-In Weapon System mounted on each shoulder will automatically independently target incoming fire and smother it in small-caliber explosive munitions. The CIWS can be aimed manually, but is often not as effective against Titan-sized equipment as it is smaller vehicles and softer targets. A chaff deployment system can be manually deployed to baffle electronic locking and utilizes refractive metal filament in dense smoke to reduce the impact of light-based weapons systems. The canisters of chaff are stored externally, so that if one is breached it will deploy a smokescreen automatically.

The Nebula has the ability to equip two arms and a set of legs (or whatever else we can put down there).

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2020, 08:54:35 pm »

Given we are on Titan, a moon inside the Earth's home system, I'm not really sure we have the technology to be a galaxy-expanding AI or planet eating nomad fleet.

@Happerry what "Tech Level" are we working with here? Like barring the giant robots.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2020, 09:06:37 pm »

I mean based just on "One of several worlds used to settle disputes between large groups" from the Core, I doubt we'd be utilizing a large number of the planets in our home system for combat. That infers we're at least at multisystem levels. And asking about tech level barring the tech defining the game is silly. I mean at the very least the entirety of our support vessels are already said to be autonomous.

Edit: Hell, one of the battle lanes is a Halo-style ring. That implies a high level of tech on it's own if we just use it to smash bots.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 09:09:51 pm by Man of Paper »

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2020, 09:17:51 pm »

I mean based just on "One of several worlds used to settle disputes between large groups" from the Core, I doubt we'd be utilizing a large number of the planets in our home system for combat. That infers we're at least at multisystem levels. And asking about tech level barring the tech defining the game is silly. I mean at the very least the entirety of our support vessels are already said to be autonomous.

Edit: Hell, one of the battle lanes is a Halo-style ring. That implies a high level of tech on it's own if we just use it to smash bots.

Oh really. One of the ideas for our species is "An advanced AI spread throughout the galaxy" and we shouldn't bother to check if there is AI or a Galactic Civilization to spread it to? There is a difference between having (notably un-smart) Drones and an orbital space station and being able to mine enough planets that the intergalactic community sees us repeatably doing so as problematic. Not fitting a faction to the game is what is silly.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2020, 09:26:28 pm »

We should probably check if megacorporations are a thing because for all we know all life is anarcho-communists. It's not your place to judge what is and isn't doable. If the GMs decide something isn't possible they'll step in and say so. Preemptively trying to shoot peoples ideas down even though they're more interesting than "corp lol" just because they're better than your own is silly.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2020, 09:36:13 pm »

We should probably check if megacorporations are a thing because for all we know all life is anarcho-communists. It's not your place to judge what is and isn't doable. If the GMs decide something isn't possible they'll step in and say so. Preemptively trying to shoot peoples ideas down even though they're more interesting than "corp lol" just because they're better than your own is silly.

Lol. "Asking an honest question? Clearly this man feels threatened by my Quarian ripoff and must be trying to force his terrible idea in!"

That seems much more logical than "Stirk is asking a question about the setting so we can make a civilization that fits it", which he just said he is doing.

dgr11897

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2020, 09:42:24 pm »

AI and galactic civilization are a thing. But the Titan crews are cyborgs, so keep that in mind. The Fleet-Empire and the Transcendence Artificial Collective seem quite interesting.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 09:47:18 pm by dgr11897 »
Quote from: evicted Saint on discord
Weaponizing Jesus isn't something you do turn 4
Quote from: Alice on a different discord, to iridium, kind of.
hold on, let me keep blowing kisses at him until he stops
My Power armor arms race

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2020, 09:46:37 pm »

The setting is currently the generic space future. Unless you decide to be the Zerg or something, there's room for a fair amount of potential player-faction-ness.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2020, 09:51:46 pm »

For the record, my lore was influenced more by Stellaris than anything else.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2020, 10:13:48 pm »

Lancer is driving a lot of my inspiration right now.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2020, 11:26:01 pm »

Never heard of it, what is it about?

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2020, 11:46:38 pm »

Never heard of it, what is it about?

It's a DnD-style RPG that features mechas as the main driving force.  Players design, build, and fight with a wide array of different mechs.  It's p cool, but very, very combat-oriented.

Transcendence Artificial Collective

The Transcendence Artificial Collective treats AI as friends, not tools. Formed initially from a technologically advanced society in a far corner of the Galaxy, they quickly spread across both the internet and their neighboring region, becoming a synergistic force to be reckoned with. They rose to prominence in the galaxy by shipping highly popular software and games, though some nation states and corporations have been hesitant to adopt their products due to silly concerns like "Privacy" and "Cybersecurity".

I love the idea of a heavily AI-focused faction, so TAC would get my vote.  That being said, I'm not 100% on them being a "large" faction; I could see them more as a smaller group of idealists who are struggling to assert their place in a cluttered universe.  Maybe very freedom and capitalism oriented, with lots of corporations catering to a highly developed culture?

As for equipment, I think it'd be cool to have a more Armored Core style of mech; one that focuses on high-speed and vertical engagements.

[TAC] ISI-TM-HIAT "Flashfire" Mk.I

As Transcendence Artificial Collective's leading designer in engines and engine-based peripherals, Impulse Solutions Inc is proud to present their very first Torso Module for the Titan Corps consideration.  The High-Impulse-Agility-Torso (code-named "Flashfire" Mark I) is a lightly-armored core featuring a rigidly reinforced internal bracing structure.  The Flashfire is bolstered with a pair of state-of-the-art high-impulse thrusters (building off the success of the wildly-popular ISI's corvette-class luxury engine line) on a flexible and highly-responsive rotary mounting on the back side of the torso module.  These thrusters can be aimed with a high degree of precision and provide a high degree of force, allowing the Titan to quickly increase their speed in a specific direction for a short period of time.  These brief durations of enhanced mobility can be used to dodge incoming fire or to quickly capitalize on a momentary advantage through superior agility.  Depending on the Titan's weight class, the Flashfire may even allow the mech to leap gaps in terrain or to scale short vertical barriers!

While the increased mobility does come at a cost, we at Impulse Solutions Inc believe enhanced performance far outweighs a minor armor downgrade.  After all - it's better to not get hit than to try and tank the damage, isn't it?

Remember - if you have an impulsive problem, you need an impulsive solution - Impulse Solutions Inc!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 11:51:09 pm by evictedSaint »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8