Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Titan Arms Race - Side B  (Read 8990 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Re: Titan Arms Race - Side B
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2020, 11:52:09 pm »

AI and galactic civilization are a thing. But the Titan crews are cyborgs, so keep that in mind. The Fleet-Empire and the Transcendence Artificial Collective seem quite interesting.

Would we have AI crews if we went for an entirely AI faction, or would we pick up some meatsacks on the way?

Lancer is driving a lot of my inspiration right now.

Never heard of it, what is it about?

It's a DnD-style RPG that features mechas as the main driving force.  Players design, build, and fight with a wide array of different mechs.  It's p cool, but very, very combat-oriented.

Transcendence Artificial Collective

The Transcendence Artificial Collective treats AI as friends, not tools. Formed initially from a technologically advanced society in a far corner of the Galaxy, they quickly spread across both the internet and their neighboring region, becoming a synergistic force to be reckoned with. They rose to prominence in the galaxy by shipping highly popular software and games, though some nation states and corporations have been hesitant to adopt their products due to silly concerns like "Privacy" and "Cybersecurity".

I love the idea of a heavily AI-focused faction, so TAC would get my vote.  That being said, I'm not 100% on them being a "large" faction; I could see them more as a smaller group of idealists who are struggling to assert their place in a cluttered universe.  Maybe very freedom and capitalism oriented, with lots of corporations catering to a highly developed culture?

As for equipment, I think it'd be cool to have a more Armored Core style of mech; one that focuses on high-speed and vertical engagements.

[TAC] ISI-TM-HIAT "Flashfire" Mk.I

As Transcendence Artificial Collective's leading designer in engines and engine-based peripherals, Impulse Solutions Inc is proud to present their very first Torso Module for the Titan Corps consideration.  The High-Impulse-Agility-Torso (code-named "Flashfire" Mark I) is a lightly-armored core featuring a rigidly reinforced internal bracing structure.  The Flashfire is bolstered with a pair of state-of-the-art high-impulse thrusters (building off the success of the wildly-popular ISI's corvette-class luxury engine line) on a flexible and highly-responsive rotary mounting on the back side of the torso module.  These thrusters can be aimed with a high degree of precision, allowing the Titan to quickly increase their speed for a short duration of time.  These brief periods of enhanced mobility can be used to dodge incoming fire or to quickly capitalize on a momentary advantage through superior agility.  Depending on the Titan's weight class, the Flashfire may even allow the mech to leap gaps in terrain or to scale short vertical barriers!

While the increased mobility does come at a cost, we at Impulse Solutions Inc believe the enhanced performance far outweigh the armor downgrade.  After all - it's better to not get hit than to try and tank the damage, isn't it?

Remember - if you have an impulsive problem, you need an impulsive solution - Impulse Solutions Inc!

I think Titans are supposed to be in the "literally stomp on tanks" size category. I don't think we'll have to worry too much about short vertical barriers
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2020, 12:22:33 am »

well, "short" in terms of a mech would be, like, a building.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2020, 02:50:48 am »

AI and galactic civilization are a thing. But the Titan crews are cyborgs, so keep that in mind. The Fleet-Empire and the Transcendence Artificial Collective seem quite interesting.

Would we have AI crews if we went for an entirely AI faction, or would we pick up some meatsacks on the way?
The default fluff for Titan Crews is that they are cybernetically enhanced to help pilot the giant robot, and part of the (GM Mandated, not effectable by actions design or otherwise) default fluff for upgrading them to higher skill levels is better cyborg-gear once they can handle it. If you want to go full AI we'll probably just use different fluff in all likelihood, assuming the faction isn't unacceptable for some other reason and wins the vote to be your faction.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2020, 08:08:40 am »

For the record, the Transcendence AI collective is actually a human/AI faction (with a whole lotta cyborgs). As such, we would still have cyborg pilots, though I could see adding AI companions to the crews.

Edit: my faction is heavily based on a group from the Lancer - Long Rim lore that captures and "unshackles" non-human personalities (AI), then works together with them in a collective manner. The exact details of the operations I am definitely flexible on, but my primary concept was AI-Human direct collaboration.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 08:15:43 am by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2020, 10:56:38 am »

Ah, I see - I was thinking more like Master Chief and Cortona from Halo.  Or Doom Guy and Vega from Doom. Or GLaDOS.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2020, 11:26:55 am »

Ah, I see - I was thinking more like Master Chief and Cortona from Halo.  Or Doom Guy and Vega from Doom. Or GLaDOS.
Those are good examples as well.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2020, 03:03:50 pm »

Just to clarify, so we're capped at two arms, and a pair of legs by hard theme rules or by torso design?  (Since base parts are free for some reason, it would be an easy meta to design a multi-limb'd torso abusing 'free' limbs.)

Also, are we designing based on interchangable weapons on hardpoints, or is every body part loaded with integrated weapons?  (Looks like weapons have to be integrated, but good to have confirmed.)

Finally, how independent are the drones, and are they gimped by hard theme rules or by vehicle design?  (It would be off theme, but why not have a long range fighter-bomber wing?)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 03:14:01 pm by ConscriptFive »

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2020, 03:06:10 pm »

Because a Titan could obviously just swat the bombers out of the sky, duh.

Titans are the best weapon.  It's like ICAR; if you're building anything other than missiles, you're going to lose (except here it's Titans, not missiles)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2020, 03:17:54 pm »

Because a Titan could obviously just swat the bombers out of the sky, duh.

Titans are the best weapon.  It's like ICAR; if you're building anything other than missiles, you're going to lose (except here it's Titans, not missiles)

We could have fighterbombers as supporting fire/scouts as per the rules, so it isn't like they'll be 100% useless.

Making the arms into a set of wings and having the Titan be a fighter/bomber/transformer thing is also probably viable.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2020, 04:19:16 pm »

Just to clarify, so we're capped at two arms, and a pair of legs by hard theme rules or by torso design?  (Since base parts are free for some reason, it would be an easy meta to design a multi-limb'd torso abusing 'free' limbs.)
It's not impossible to make a torso that can hold more arms, but do remember you have to pay for each individual arm individually, and pay for the Torso as well. Two arms are the baseline the budget is calibrated for.

Also, are we designing based on interchangable weapons on hardpoints, or is every body part loaded with integrated weapons?  (Looks like weapons have to be integrated, but good to have confirmed.)
A arm that has a hand that holds a lightsaber is an arm part. Or an arm with a lightsaber built into the hand. That's also an arm part.

Finally, how independent are the drones, and are they gimped by hard theme rules or by vehicle design?  (It would be off theme, but why not have a long range fighter-bomber wing?)
Let's go with... mostly theme. Bombers aren't illegal though. Just remember that vehicles are support for Titans, and though they may turn a tide they are not what will win the war in and of themselves.
Forenia Forever!
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2020, 04:25:40 pm »

Happerry, what theme are you most interested in? Gundams? Armored Core? Lancer? Iron Harvest?

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2020, 04:26:39 pm »

I assume Battletech is a little plain for the game's taste.

Edit: another way to frame eS's question is, what would this game's world best be described as fitting into. Like, can we break causality and do time travel?

Happerry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2020, 05:37:24 pm »

Neither me nor DGR are insane enough as to allow for time travel in an arms race not specifically based around time travel. The science is not hard, but it's not that soft. As for themes... it kinda defeats the point of letting you all make up your own parts and faction if we go "oh, also, this whole thing only accepts stuff from Robot Thing Z".
Forenia Forever!

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2020, 09:43:58 am »

Okay, so it looks like environmental threats and terrain in general are going to be a big deal.  Bottom Lane is mountains and naval.  Mid is heat themed.  Top is very mixed.

A rush strategy might be to focus naval/amphib and try to blitz bottom.  There's nothing like that in starting parts or vehicles, so that's an entire naval force to build from scratch.

When/how do we pick starting locations?  It would help to know what terrain to immediately plan for.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2020, 10:11:21 am »

Name a single time a "blitz" strategy has paid off in an Arms Race.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8