Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to store items for Fortress??  (Read 1949 times)

Sky-Streamer

• Bay Watcher
  • You are filled with AN EXCESSIVE NUMBER OF BOLTS.
    • View Profile
How to store items for Fortress??
« on: March 25, 2020, 04:32:18 pm »

Hello! I'm currently planning on destroying 17 different fortresses, hamlets and monostaries and collecting all the usable materials for usage in fortress mode. Is there a way I can do this safely without having to risk my character being killed while I set up a fortress?
i told you about those stairs man
i TOLD you DOG

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: How to store items for Fortress??
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 05:24:44 am »

Not sure I understand. By usable materials, do you mean artifacts and books? By setting up the fort do you mean the 2 weeks of time passing?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 05:52:20 am »

Haul everything to an Adventurer built site, dump it all there, embark your fortress over the site. No need to worry about your Adventurer dying.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 07:47:18 pm »

Haul everything to an Adventurer built site, dump it all there, embark your fortress over the site. No need to worry about your Adventurer dying.

What will happen with all animal-spawns on adventurer's site, when you embark over it? Will they be still present there or be despawn?

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 05:53:41 am »

I had a Dwarf adventurer die to a fight with a crab on a beach (not a giant crab, just a normal one). I then embarked a fortress on that location and the crab was still there, with a legendary name and a dent on one leg to boot. The adventurer's corpse (and equipment) was there too, but I couldn't bury him in a coffin.

I think this means the animals will all still be there, but maybe not in the exact same spot where you left them.

A mad scientist necromancer, a peasant with a dream, a secret message inscribed on a gem, a giant bridge.
Come witness the Saga of the Puzzling Sea!
A documented Dwarf Fortress v0.47.xx game combining Fort Mode and Adventure Mode.

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2020, 07:26:00 pm »

That crab presumably became a historical figure after it killed your adventurer-- nonhistorical spawns may be treated differently.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2020, 04:41:54 am »

That crab presumably became a historical figure after it killed your adventurer-- nonhistorical spawns may be treated differently.

This gives hope for adventure mode. I think the animal bug (exception to lag) is caused by a rare animal bug with some squirrel with 0 mass. Such animal has no chance becoming a historical figure. Still to save an adventure location by embarking new fortress on top of it...

People claimed that not fast traveling was the main cause for this animal excessive spawn. However every day adventurer needs to go to sleep and sleep works like fast travel. So why the random animal spawns, during that adventurer's sleep, did not unspawn, like it is claimed with fast travel mechanics?

This bug also affected empty lairs of slayed monsters. No matter how small area it was. At first such places packed with animals start to lag immensely and then after a while visits to such locations end in game's crash to the desktop.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2020, 04:52:04 pm »

This gives hope for adventure mode. I think the animal bug (exception to lag) is caused by a rare animal bug with some squirrel with 0 mass. Such animal has no chance becoming a historical figure. Still to save an adventure location by embarking new fortress on top of it...

People claimed that not fast traveling was the main cause for this animal excessive spawn. However every day adventurer needs to go to sleep and sleep works like fast travel. So why the random animal spawns, during that adventurer's sleep, did not unspawn, like it is claimed with fast travel mechanics?

This bug also affected empty lairs of slayed monsters. No matter how small area it was. At first such places packed with animals start to lag immensely and then after a while visits to such locations end in game's crash to the desktop.
And resumably you've reported and uploaded saves of these bugs to existing reports, right?
Most people never notice this happening, because generally it doesn't.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2020, 04:54:58 pm »

Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2020, 05:39:40 pm »

If only 1 save uploaded...
There were 2 Dwarven fortresses in this adventure. I often went to them for different reasons. Mostly to get stuff, which I didn't have in my starting hillock. Animals never accumulated either in hillock or in fortresses. The domesticated animals spawns, just were re-spawning for ever in same places. Dark Tower however had 100.000 troll spawn issue (I was visiting it few times), which entirely exterminated fps there and made the place inaccessible to enter. I just couldn't get rid off animals. No matter how many I hunted down, there were 10x more every time I left that place. I hunted the animals on my road from hillock to both fortresses and time after time there were just more and more of animals on the road. With time there were even animal recruits from those animals, that escaped my ambushes.

Is it even possible in Adventure Mode to exterminate animals? People were writing it is possible, but I lost hope after few months of animal purges. Game got extremely lagy and boring. I think only Fortress Mode offers this rare opportunity to exterminate animal species locally. The worst animals are birds. When birds are tired or hit with bolt, they do not land on ground. They do not fall on ground. Oh no. The birds land and then lie down and rest totally in mid-air, when being totally invulnerable to any shots.

I played this adventure mode for about half year. It was fun. There was lots of stuff still to do and try out. However due extreme lag, caused by endless hordes of animals basically everywhere, it got so lagged... The adventure just died to low fps.