Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Does sparring improve discipline?  (Read 710 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Does sparring improve discipline?
« on: March 26, 2020, 08:25:15 am »

Basically, I'm trying to master crossbowdwarves, as they're something I never really used. I'm getting the hang of it except for discipline. In their combat practice, it doesn't seem to go up like it does with melee troops.

My squad has taken down 4 forgotten beasts through fortifications and patience. Really, it's been one dwarf doing most of the work (one of the idiots was carrying an elven bow...) And the rest getting terrified and running away. That's one way to improve discipline, but I wonder if getting them to spar for a bit will improve it quickly.

I'd prefer to just have them melee spar for a couple months then get them into shooting practice. Some dodging skills and a bit of macedwarf wouldn't hurt in case they get too close to an enemy or run out of bolts and decide to charge in.

That said, I don't actually know if sparring ups discipline. Does it? Is it faster than individual practice? Should I just lock them in a room with a visible beakdog?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: Does sparring improve discipline?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 01:13:00 pm »

Overall, sparring increases discipline, but I am not sure if there is something specific in sparring (being hit, being attacked, etc) that is the actual source. Maybe, being bashed with a crossbow does not train discipline, but being attacked with an axe does. If I recall correctly, discipline increases about average with the others.

I suspect forcing them to see a beakdog will give negative thoughts, that sparring will not.

I have been giving them a hammer and a crossbow for sparring (using multiple training orders so some spar and some shoot).
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?