Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Animal man fort guide [WARNING OP]  (Read 5318 times)

javeynavey

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Animal man fort guide [WARNING OP]
« on: March 27, 2020, 05:35:26 am »

I thought I'd make this tutorial because nobody else has and because I've had some great experiences so far doing animal forts.

Step 1: Go into adventure mode and perferably find the largest sized animal person that can spawn in a dwarven civilization.
(Size is proportional to strength in DF so the one with the largest size will be the most OP)

Step 2: Start a fort as the civ that has the variety of animal person you want.
(If the animal person is from another civ it won't be able to do any labors in your fort or will just be a corpse when you start playing fort mode again for some reason)

Step 3: Retire the fort the time being, go into adventure mode and spawn an adventurer from the animal person species you want.

Step 4: Create a ton of party members also from that species or from others you want in your fort.
(I spent about 2 hours one cozy quarantined morning creating, speccing, and spawing weapons and armor on about 50 party members. Theoretically you can spawn infinite party members but I can't verify that)

Step 5: Start your adventure with your 9035 fully armored elephant seal man swordsman companions huddled around you in a circle and immediately retire.
(protip: Starting your adventurers as rangers automatically gives them better dodging skill)

Step 6: Unretire your fortress and basque in the glory and lag of the announcement screen telling you that over 9000 elephant men have become rangers in your fort.

Step 7: Effortlessly turn the entire world into t̵͖̒ ̸̢͊h̶̺̅ ̷̧͎̃e̵̖͕̎͝ ̶̯̈́̚ ̶͖̂̽s̴̘͝ ̷̢̈́m̸̛͓ ̶̢͉͐e̵͓̦͒́ ̴̺̔l̶͍̲̾ ̶̘͉̇f̶̫͖̌ ̸͕͉̃ ̴̡̥̈́h̸͇̰̎̒ ̷̰͇̈́̇ę̷͓̔ ̴͖̒l̸͎̃ ̷̘͓̽l̸͈͇̊͑ ̷̛͔͑ ̵͉̈́̕ż̵̡͕ ̶̊͜ŏ̶͇̫̆ ̴͍̈́n̵̘͙̓͠ ̸͝ͅȩ̷̯͆ as every known and unknown site in the game becomes an occupied holding of your fort.

Some DFhack commands you may need:

fix-ster fert all
(All your adventurers start out as asexual and therefore unable to spawn babies by default, this command remedies that and also remedies any asexual animals and monsters you have in your fort for some reason)

If your starting a fort with snake men or any egg laying animal people in general you still need to build nest boxes, if you have a species that lays huge clutches of eggs and you want to start hoarding a massive pile from the get go. you can marry them off by finding their ID with.

lua print(dfhack.gui.getSelectedUnit().id)

And pasting it into this command

gui/family-affairs [ whatever number the ID is]

The aforementioned command will bring up a GUI menu ingame where you can marry them off to someone their sexual orientation permits them to.
(PS. you don't have to worry about furfags or scalies because the only options you can choose in the GUI are members of the same species)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 05:41:44 am by javeynavey »

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
Re: Animal man fort guide [WARNING OP]
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 03:57:19 pm »

Interesting... I might give that a try sometime.

Can you invite animal-person NPCs to join your party in DF Adventure Mode? And if so, so they also suffer from the asexual issue or can they have normal relationships?

I guess the test would be as follows:
  • Create non-dwarf-civ animal-person adventurer to find animal-person civ site
  • Create a Dwarf Mode fort near animal-person civ and then retire it
  • Create party of hardy Dwarf/animal-person adventurers with one member who has good speaking and persuasion skills
  • Travel to animal-person civ from step 1
  • Do quests and brag to raise fame
  • Recruit animal-people
  • Go to fort from step 2 and retire in fort
  • Un-retire fort from step 2
  • Profit?

A mad scientist necromancer, a peasant with a dream, a secret message inscribed on a gem, a giant bridge.
Come witness the Saga of the Puzzling Sea!
A documented Dwarf Fortress v0.47.xx game combining Fort Mode and Adventure Mode.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 06:05:53 pm »

Legends will speak of the day the demigod elephantmen wrestlers attacked

Defensive kobra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 09:37:39 am »

I thought I'd make this tutorial because nobody else has and because I've had some great experiences so far doing animal forts.

Step 1: Go into adventure mode and perferably find the largest sized animal person that can spawn in a dwarven civilization.
(Size is proportional to strength in DF so the one with the largest size will be the most OP)

Step 2: Start a fort as the civ that has the variety of animal person you want.
(If the animal person is from another civ it won't be able to do any labors in your fort or will just be a corpse when you start playing fort mode again for some reason)

Step 3: Retire the fort the time being, go into adventure mode and spawn an adventurer from the animal person species you want.

Step 4: Create a ton of party members also from that species or from others you want in your fort.
(I spent about 2 hours one cozy quarantined morning creating, speccing, and spawing weapons and armor on about 50 party members. Theoretically you can spawn infinite party members but I can't verify that)

Step 5: Start your adventure with your 9035 fully armored elephant seal man swordsman companions huddled around you in a circle and immediately retire.
(protip: Starting your adventurers as rangers automatically gives them better dodging skill)

Step 6: Unretire your fortress and basque in the glory and lag of the announcement screen telling you that over 9000 elephant men have become rangers in your fort.

Step 7: Effortlessly turn the entire world into t̵͖̒ ̸̢͊h̶̺̅ ̷̧͎̃e̵̖͕̎͝ ̶̯̈́̚ ̶͖̂̽s̴̘͝ ̷̢̈́m̸̛͓ ̶̢͉͐e̵͓̦͒́ ̴̺̔l̶͍̲̾ ̶̘͉̇f̶̫͖̌ ̸͕͉̃ ̴̡̥̈́h̸͇̰̎̒ ̷̰͇̈́̇ę̷͓̔ ̴͖̒l̸͎̃ ̷̘͓̽l̸͈͇̊͑ ̷̛͔͑ ̵͉̈́̕ż̵̡͕ ̶̊͜ŏ̶͇̫̆ ̴͍̈́n̵̘͙̓͠ ̸͝ͅȩ̷̯͆ as every known and unknown site in the game becomes an occupied holding of your fort.

Some DFhack commands you may need:

fix-ster fert all
(All your adventurers start out as asexual and therefore unable to spawn babies by default, this command remedies that and also remedies any asexual animals and monsters you have in your fort for some reason)

If your starting a fort with snake men or any egg laying animal people in general you still need to build nest boxes, if you have a species that lays huge clutches of eggs and you want to start hoarding a massive pile from the get go. you can marry them off by finding their ID with.

lua print(dfhack.gui.getSelectedUnit().id)

And pasting it into this command

gui/family-affairs [ whatever number the ID is]

The aforementioned command will bring up a GUI menu ingame where you can marry them off to someone their sexual orientation permits them to.
(PS. you don't have to worry about furfags or scalies because the only options you can choose in the GUI are members of the same species)

question: does modding the game with [ORIENTATION] tokens so that all animal people are strictly heterosexual fix this problem?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2020, 03:04:39 am »

Thanks, I needed a new sig.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.