Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Lots of candy {Spoiler}  (Read 3887 times)

tristankamp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lots of candy {Spoiler}
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2020, 02:07:13 pm »

« Last Edit: May 20, 2020, 02:43:41 pm by tristankamp »

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2020, 05:09:55 pm »

Some similar embarks with high volumes of candy, in the worldgen thread for 0.47.0x.

ltprifti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2020, 08:49:59 pm »

do you have a more precise picture of where to embark?

tristankamp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2020, 03:26:52 am »

This is the exact spot. 5x5 :)
https://imgur.com/IzVw3rU

Dishmab

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2020, 05:22:18 pm »

just embarked. i usually only run my world to be as young as possible so we will see what ive been missing out on with the older worlds. I will note that the civilization The Balanced Pillars is a group of dwarves with pink skin, something that always delights me.

tristankamp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2020, 09:35:09 am »

I now have a little more than 4000 adamantine strands.
However, reading up on the science behind what armor is suited to be made out of adamantine left me with more questions than answers!
1: Is steel better for plate armor since it is heavier as some say?
2: Can it really pay off to make armor out of adamantine at all? (couldn't find any steel armor vs adamantine armor threads)
3: If the only real benefit is its reduced weight, wouldnt a legendary armor user then not have any benefit from adamantine armor?

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2020, 11:17:01 am »

To the best of my knowledge, adamantine edge weapons are the best edged or piercing weapons you can make. (swords, spears)
Also, for trap components, like serrated discs or large upright spikes, they offer the best material possible.

I have seen comparisons of adamantine armor vs. other armor, but it was years ago.  I'm not a fan of the current rates of item wear (for combat and/or non-combat), and personally I don't think anything made of adamantine should wear out, but that opinion is not shared by everyone. :)

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2020, 12:20:36 pm »

1: Is steel better for plate armor since it is heavier as some say?
By "plate armor", do you mean a breastplate? The primary important is that the hit against the armor does not pierce the armor. The secondary important is the armor's weight, to mitigate the transfer of force to the layers beyond the armor.

2: Can it really pay off to make armor out of adamantine at all? (couldn't find any steel armor vs adamantine armor threads)
In history, lighter and stronger armor has always been preferred. I expect that DF's system is modeled to reflect this, but the practical test to see this comes from arena testing. In history, there have been times where heavier has been considered better, due to the transfer of force, but this consideration comes after the consideration of not having the armor pierced. The consideration of heavier is better matched to to the consideration of avoiding the blow.

3: If the only real benefit is its reduced weight, wouldnt a legendary armor user then not have any benefit from adamantine armor?
The reduced weight is not the only benefit, not being pierced is also a benefit. Armor restricts movement, and it weighs something. The armor_user skill reduces the restriction effect of armor, not the weight of it.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

tristankamp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2020, 10:39:46 am »

So i made 20 chestplates, 60 chainmails, 20 greaves, 20 highboots and 20 gauntlets out of adamantine. Then i learned about how focus works. The average masterwork yield of the armor production was about 30%.
Then i made sure instead of being distracted, he was focused while making 200 spears, 200 axes and 200 swords out of adamantine. No difference. 30% yield.
Does focus really impact quality or is it only speed? Because i had no difference between (unfocused - unaffected) and (focused). The wiki makes it sound like it should be a 40% increase but i got none.
I also still have 1400 bars left, and 200 raw adamantine reserved for artifacts. My net value is about 68000000 (68 million). There is also an untouched spire.
Also, not more of my dwarves have been unhappy. It seems there was about 4-5 rotten eggs, but the rest are holding up really great :D

Besides the adamantine equipment i also made 170 sets of full steel armor (3 chainmails etc.) and 170 steel battleaxes. I really like the idea of axes for my dwarves :D

I know preferences can make a yield of 33% (10% improvement). But i dont see any difference in quality with focus. Am i right, or just really wierd coincidence?

after some research it seems that there is a cap for the skill roll at 20. so it might just be the max
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 11:22:40 am by tristankamp »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2020, 02:23:39 am »

Thanks for testing - though I'll note that making 200 things in a row takes 2 months or so, resulting in losing focus.

Distracted! has shown to have heavy impact on quality, so I guess these tests may show that skill cap is applied before focus.

tristankamp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2020, 08:04:33 am »

i watched him 24/7, and checked his focus after every 3 'ish items. Thats how i know he was focused :)
I believe the distraction is applied before the skillcap, that would at least explain why there is no positive benefit to being focused at legendary+5. It would still allow the effect to be noticable, if very distracted or worse.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2020, 08:07:33 am by tristankamp »

tristankamp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2020, 10:16:43 am »

I have a question, i hope somebody knows the answer. Does sparring wear armor down? If not, it makes sense to train them in candy armor, but if it does i would rather save it for later.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2020, 01:17:36 am »

I have a question, i hope somebody knows the answer. Does sparring wear armor down? If not, it makes sense to train them in candy armor, but if it does i would rather save it for later.

Training does not add to combat wear.
I just know from observation, that Dwarves training in copper or steel chain mail are getting armor skill faster. I have never seen any named armor though.
Pages: 1 [2]