Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: burrows and preventing paths  (Read 733 times)

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
burrows and preventing paths
« on: June 06, 2020, 07:43:32 am »

You can use burrows to prevent dwarves from picking up jobs outside of an area..

But what if I want to forbid my dwarves to leave the burrow at all? For example, a dwarf might figure out that he can pick up a sock within the burrow by taking a weird path through a mile of dangerous terrain far outside of the burrow and he will immediately do so. I already lost two dwarves to this behaviour.

Is this a bug, or is it intended? Why do burrows not simply mean you have to stay inside of them, period?

And is there a workaround?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: burrows and preventing paths
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 10:57:18 am »

It is intended. The wiki says, "Burrows do not restrict a dwarf's movements; they only restrict the locations where dwarves may perform jobs (including picking up items, eating, sleeping, etc.). An idle dwarf can still go anywhere, regardless of burrows. (Note: a Civilian Alert overrides this behavior.) " 

So, they will use any path, and this can be a problem when there is a one congested corridor within the burrow and an unused pathway that goes though the haunted section of the caverns. Because they will squeeze past each other if there is only one path, but will take much longer routes if the first route is blocked by others at the time the path is chosen.

Note that last phrase in the wiki quote, it is the only way to force them to stay within the burrow, or at least to force them into the burrow so you can lock doors.

Since they only take jobs where all targets are within the burrow, you should not need to do more than ensure they can move freely within the burrow (no narrow corridors and no 1-tile staircases if alternate routes exist).
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: burrows and preventing paths
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 11:21:41 am »

Pathing does not take potential future critter collisions into account. What happens is that critters meet in the single tile corridor, and BOTH then repath to what should be their next tile according to their original path. That rerouting can take them into the cavern (but there's some cutoff at which one will crawl over the other in the single tile corridor instead of running all around the embark). With two parallel single tile corridors you can have the morons engage in ping-pong where they meet in one corridor, both turn around, meet in the other, turn around...

Jobs SHOULD only be taken when both ends of the job are within the burrow, but unfortunately hauling jobs only consider the stockpile, not the corpse of the goblin that just died in your weapon trap, leading to cancellation spam as the job is taken and then immediately dropped, taken again...

Burrows can help, but won't solve the problem.