Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: indestructible Cursed Corpse, Waretapir?  (Read 591 times)

spodemaster

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
indestructible Cursed Corpse, Waretapir?
« on: March 29, 2020, 03:14:57 am »

I've only recently started playing dorf fortress, and had finally gotten my 2nd large fortress established.
My first large fortress had over 200 inhabitants and was beacon to dwarf civilization.  I had the unfortunate experience of encountering my first regenerating Titan "Sandlord".
The titan killed all of my soldiers, about 80 dwarves in total and all my live stalk.  It was finally killed by a caravan of traders but my dwarves were all traumatized by all of the corpses littering the entrance to my fortress.

One of the Dwarf children created a chest of dwarf bones and claimed it as their family heirloom, then all of my dwarves fought and killed each other until the fortress collapsed.

My second fortress I was able to successfully kill a flying Titan with minimal casualties and build a very successful fortress.  I had just completed a nice water cistern for winter, and was digging deeper to try to see if I had anything other than dolomite for metal ore.

While I was excavating I noticed a message saying my dwarves were being interrupted by a waretapir.
Checking my Others tab I saw that 6 of my dwarves had turned into waretapir, but there was a 7th.

This seventh was a Cursed Corpse Waretapir.  I sent all my soldiers to attack it a matter of minutes after, my fortress population went from 118 to 44.
The Cursed Corpse reverted to just being a cursed corpse and proceeded to colllect clay.  Then as soon as a Caravan entered my miasma filled entrance hall, he transformed back into being a Cursed Corpse Waretapir and slaughtered the entire caravan and the rest of my citizens.

I have a questions.
Is this a bug?
Was my cursed corpse already a waretapir before it died?
Did my cursed corpse contract lycanthropy from the other waretapirs?
Is this normal?

Is there a way to deal with OP creatures like this, or is this just Dwarf Fortress normal behavior?

Crazy game, 10 / 10 would OCD again.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: indestructible Cursed Corpse, Waretapir?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 07:24:47 am »

Cool story spode.

So you're in somewhat untreaded ground here. Cursed Corpses (and other intelligent undead) are new features. I'm under the impression that they're a bug, but I could be wrong. (I mean, them staying loyal to the fortress.) They are the result of a necromancer raising the dead.

Now a werebeast transfers the curse via bites. If a weretapir attacked your fort earlier, you would have known: screen stops and a message displays. If not, you had a werebeast migrant, which is very very rare and probably a bug unless they came from an earlier fort which had werebeast infections. By what I know about intelligent undead, I'd say it's equally possible it happened before or after they were made undead.

Intelligent undead are very strong. Werebeasts are also strong. I wouldn't be surprised if the two compounded here and made a super-killer.

Be very careful with werebeasts. Sending your military to kill one of your own dwarves is not recommended, as it can cause a loyalty cascade. And sending them to kill regular werebeasts might end with, well 6 weretapirs in the tavern...

I usually wall them up and leave them as a permanent feature of the fortress. They can't die from starvation or dehydration, and will turn every month on the full moon.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 07:27:57 am by delphonso »

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: indestructible Cursed Corpse, Waretapir?
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 02:28:14 pm »

I have a questions.
Is this a bug?
It's definitely a new interaction from the new curse/reanimation types and the lycanthropy curse. That doesn't sound like a bug to me, it sounds awesome!

Was my cursed corpse already a waretapir before it died?
Did my cursed corpse contract lycanthropy from the other waretapirs?
I think you'd have to do some Science to see in what order those effects can be applied. Might be hard to tell after the fact.

Is this normal?
Let's hope so!!!!

Is there a way to deal with OP creatures like this, or is this just Dwarf Fortress normal behavior?
I'm not sure from your description if this is really OP. How skilled and equipped were the military? Were the fights mostly quick 1:1, or did it stand up well to several skilled attackers at once? How often was it hit, and with what weapon types? Did it stay effective after losing limbs? Is it vulnerable to bisection? Does it have a thought center that can be crushed? Did the lycanthropic change regenerate lost parts? What happened when it was filled with bolts?

Note that all of the above questions don't invoke anything beyond simple military defenses, like bridges, magma-based defenses, siege weapons, things falling long distances, or the wonderful world of high speed minecarts.

In DF, there's ALWAYS a way to deal with an attacker. (Except maybe if there's new noncorporeal ghost-type enemies that ignore tile changes? Haven't heard of anything like that yet, though.)