Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Creating a well  (Read 1385 times)

janamdo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Creating a well
« on: March 29, 2020, 07:17:11 am »

Afraid for water shortages ( dehydrated dorfs ) i try to build early a well
    The dorfs can also drink water with a bucket.

Should the watercompsumption sufficient by hauling water ? ( my guess is that is the case)
    Inside the fortress is a well safer
    Only nearest watersource is outside a pool of 16 x 12= 192  cubic meter water

• Is this pool enough for filling a everlasting filled reservoir for a well
    • Construction of downpipe to reservoir, crate  ( floodgate not needed : the fortress can not be flooded by water ? )
I think i first mine out a reservoir from 10x4x4 ( l x w xh ) under the well one z level lower under the floor.. 
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 07:26:36 am by janamdo »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Creating a well
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 07:38:44 am »

If you dig down, you can often find water on the first cavern level. You can use that too (there can be long drop before the water level, well will still work).

Bad things almost, probably, maybe, very rarely climb up the well shaft. It's almost perfectly safe. ;)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 07:49:52 am »

Cavern water is much easier and usually has much more.

But if you fill a cistern and build a well over it, that should work too. The size you chose is good and should last quite a while. It will need refilling eventually - that's unavoidable.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 07:53:11 am »

And if you have an aquifer on your map, you can just dig a hole and let that full up with water naturally build your well in top of of it. I assume a light aquifer is easier to work with, never tried with a heavy one.

janamdo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2020, 08:45:02 am »

Cavern water is much easier and usually has much more.

Thanks
Refilling is unsure from a small pool..rain dependend
A Cavern finding..but is deep underground, so its a long way for the bucket of the well to the cistern water source
Needet a strong dorf. 
Or mechanical with a screw pump to a cistern?

« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 08:51:50 am by janamdo »

janamdo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2020, 08:46:56 am »

Bad things almost, probably, maybe, very rarely climb up the well shaft. It's almost perfectly safe. ;)
Thanks
Some protection to cover the stair hole with a grate ? floor hatch
The aquifer using.. good idea ( not so deep )
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 12:52:28 pm by janamdo »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2020, 11:21:56 am »

Making a cistern that's kept full from a heavy aquifer is easy, provided you have gotten beneath the aquifer already (either though aquifer piercing techniques or by having your staircase where there isn't an aquifer to deal with).

- Dig out your cisterns, at least 2 Z levels deep where you're going to place the well.
- Prepare the cistern inlet by digging a depressurizing horizontal tunnel at the cistern top (water) level under the floor/ around the cistern. This is done by making a diagonal only sideways shift of the tunnel.
- Build a raising drawbridge (and test it) in the tunnel. Optional, for the off chance that you'd want to empty the cistern some time in the future, e.g. to recover a body.
- Empty the cistern of any rocks you want to recover, as you can't do that when it's full of water. I usually mark them all for dumping and make a dump zone close to the cistern for regular hauling later.
- Paint all levels of your cisterns as high cost passage, or you may get dorfs drowning as they take a shortcut through the cistern as it's filling up (and dorfs are rather creative when it comes to finding reasons to go where you thought there would be no reason to venture).
- Order the digging of a vertical staircase starting at the end of the tunnel you dug, and have it end above the aquifer, but not connected to anything (to ensure it's dug from below).
- Once a miner approaches the top of the staircase, order the digging of a horizontal continuation to connect to the rest of the fortress. Digging though an aquifer from below is safe because the water drains downwards, but you need to ensure the dorf doesn't try to leave by going down, as that has a big risk or resulting in a drowned miner.

It can be noted that this design should work with a light aquifer as well, provided the cistern isn't so large it acts as an evaporation chamber.

I'd check whether grates are compatible with wells. I think they're not (try lowering a bucket though one...), but I'm not completely sure. I'd never leave an access to the fortress from the caverns open and vulnerable like that, although a fortress that didn't have an aquifer might get a well to a cavern lake once the cavern has been secured (i.e. walls built so critters can't get into the secured area, which, in my case, is the whole cavern except a small pocket on each edge).

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2020, 11:49:51 am »

Cistern is the choice.

_W_
X X
XwX

_-floor
X-wall
W-well
w-water

You do not need to overkill of how deep the cistern is.
1 extra hole directly under well will provide clear water without mud.
Well need to be in under-ground or freezing may cause issues at some embarks.
My hospital is always underground together with wells.
You may need to keep 1 level between well and water for the rare case you happen to uncover your well to surface.
My all embarks are usually on surface by choice.

janamdo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2020, 12:49:33 pm »

I'd check whether grates are compatible with wells. I think they're not (try lowering a bucket though one...), but I'm not completely sure. I'd never leave an access to the fortress from the caverns open and vulnerable like that, although a fortress that didn't have an aquifer might get a well to a cavern lake once the cavern has been secured (i.e. walls built so critters can't get into the secured area, which, in my case, is the whole cavern except a small pocket on each edge).
Thanks
That's a lot to think off.. hope i can carry out this. .awesome.
I made a mistake with the word crate : must be floor hatch

janamdo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2020, 04:06:39 pm »

Cistern is the choice.

_W_
X X
XwX

_-floor
X-wall
W-well
w-water

Thanks
Try to give meaning to your scheme : XwX  : floor of cistern?
In general tricky scheme people show for explanation. 
Yes, i try to build a cistern

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2020, 04:21:15 pm »

The bottom half is a specification of the codes used...

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2020, 04:55:06 pm »

Aside, but, in the current version (or let's say, since 40.12) has anyone ever had a critter climb/fly up a well from the caverns?

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2020, 05:16:36 pm »

Aside, but, in the current version (or let's say, since 40.12) has anyone ever had a critter climb/fly up a well from the caverns?

I played a lot on 0.44 if that helps. I had fliers flying up the well. I had spiders and forgotten crawling up the walls up to the well.
My solution was to make local cistern, pump the water from cave to cistern, wall cave away and make well over the cistern.
Pumping removed also some forgotten's poisoned stuff from water too. Also it removed some "pool" marking from water as well, as it was not a fresh flowing stream.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2020, 05:18:56 pm »

Cistern is the choice.

_W_
X X
XwX

_- constructed floor
X-wall (try smoothing if you can)
W-well (make chain from master quality steel, 10k worth)
w-water (your cistern does not need to be deep, 1 level is right)

XwX  - bottom of well, a hole directly under well, so there is 2 levels of water in this place.

Thanks
Try to give meaning to your scheme : XwX  : floor of cistern?
In general tricky scheme people show for explanation. 
Yes, i try to build a cistern

I added some commentary. Does it read better?

janamdo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2020, 03:46:55 am »

I added some commentary. Does it read better?

Thanks
Yes, its reading better now.
The cistern is one-level deep and the 2 levels of water are under the constructed floor from the well   
That is one level water from the mined rockfloor en one level for the underlying wall 
There are no critters living in the aquifers layers of course?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 03:54:13 am by janamdo »
Pages: [1] 2