Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Last Oasis Clan - The Dune Dwellers  (Read 7312 times)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Re: Last Oasis Clan - The Dune Dwellers
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2020, 04:21:59 am »

I can only assume that one of those mega-clans we tussled with must have put a price on our heads, because today we were attacked by no less than 6 clans we had never heard of before.

Only one of the new clans rode in hard, with two big boats. It was a bloody fight, but in the end both of their boats burned to the ground, and in their cargo holds we found far more loot than we had lost during the fight.

The other clans were all small groups of griefers, who were chased off without undo fuss. Except for one clan, known as 'The Farmers', who employed guerilla tactics against us. They would run up as a group and attack our bases, then as soon as any opposition showed up they disappeared into the treetops, only to emerge again as soon as it was clear. We picked off a few of them, but they came back, fully geared. We combed the forests and ferreted out 5 of their respawn points, but still they kept coming.
As the hour grew late, about half of us had given up and left to sleep or pursue more fruitful endeavors elsewhere. The rest of us were just about to do the same, when suddenly this little group of griefers turned into more than 50 people, pouring out of the trees and swarming over us. Without boats for us to burn, we would have had difficulty countering them at full strength. As our numbers were already diminished, it was utterly hopeless.

I'm not looking forward to seeing what remains in the morning.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2020, 05:49:14 am »

On the other hand, I'm quite interested in hearing the continuation. The stories are enjoyed!
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2020, 01:15:25 pm »

On the other hand, I'm quite interested in hearing the continuation. The stories are enjoyed!

Indeed, although I worry it might be the cause of the most recent attack.
EDIT: Yup, you're on page 2 of Google.  Hello bullsye.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2020, 10:20:13 pm »

i ended up getting it. made it through the tutorial until it got to the part where i have to raid the weird mutant ape people's villages to smash urns but i had too much fun randomly dueling them and pimping my ride. im gonna love upgrading my firefly walker into a super speed bike.

the combat is somehow less and more refined than mount and blade, which is weird. the timing feels so right but the animations make it seem fluid and clunky someway. hard to describe but fun nonetheless. i had to log off to play with friends in another game but i made it safely to the edge of a map and logged off, so i should be safe for now.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Ibid Straydrink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2020, 10:51:19 pm »

This is that game where you do drugs to get inspiration for improbable walking landships, right?

Earth stops moving, however will we survive?

Guy taking a hit off a bong with cactus fruit derived LSD in the water: "I know what we must do."
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 10:53:23 pm by Ibid Straydrink »
“I am the spirit that negates. And rightly so, for all that comes to be. Deserves to perish wretchedly; 'Twere better nothing would begin."

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2020, 05:28:31 am »

In my last post, several days ago, I had logged off amidst a swarm of angry Farmers marauding across my home map on foot. They beat up any outdoor workstations and small chests, and anything else they could break with their clubs and axes. But they stopped short of building siege weapons to break into our bases or burn down boats. That kind of thing is difficult to do without bringing your own boats full of supplies and mounted ballistas. The lack of transportation would also have made it difficult to carry away much loot. So, in the end, all they did was teach some of our newer members a lesson most of us have had to learn the hard way; keep your good stuff inside bases, and send boats to the lobby when you log out.

The following day was relatively peaceful. After an uneventful Proxy defense period, we got word from the top that our closest major enemy clan had experienced some drama amongst their leadership, resulting in a major chunk of their population abandoning ship, and most of the rest being left in disarray. Another major clan that occasionally pestered us had just been hit by a wave of attacks from the Chinese, and a third opposing clan was being hit by our allies. So basically nobody had time for us.

We did get a brief visit from the Flying Squirrel gang, whom we had not seen in a while. They scattered and didn't come back after we rode up on them just once. Still, their appearance, coupled with our newfound free time, prompted my team to move our Clay Base. When we first arrived on this map we constructed a sturdy clay base amidst some tall rocks, and established a perimeter of barricades at the cracks in the rocks, with the assumption that this would make it difficult for enemy boats to approach us. And indeed we had never once been attacked by boats. However, every single foot-raider on our tile seemed to immediately be attracted to our base because they could easily grapple up to the top of the rocks, drop down on people coming in and out of the base, steal whatever loot they were carrying, then disappear as quickly as they arrived. And if we did chase them off the rocks, they would just disappear into the forest that surrounded our mountain home. So, we packed our things and rebuilt the Clay Base in the middle of a nice open valley, with nothing around for attackers to grapple for a quick escape.

And of course, as soon as we finished setting up in our new location, the Chinese rolled in with half a dozen medium boats, and came straight for us. The clan came to our defense immediately. The Chinese had great numbers, but their boats and equipment were of low quality, and they clearly did not know how to use them. We dispatched their boats easily.
Then they sent in more boats. And we destroyed those as well. But during the third wave, while we were dealing with the larger boats, a fleet of smaller spider-walkers flanked our Clay Base and burned a hole in the wall. They made off with several boxes of our best materials, and all we got from them was a pile of cheap boat wreckage and a few beat-up sets of basic weapons and armor.

The next day was quiet, and yesterday started out the same. After our peaceful Proxy defense, we decided to take some of our warboats out and look for a fight. We soon found two clans, neither of whom we were familiar with, fighting each other, each side sporting a fully manned Falco. We managed to stay hidden until one of them triumphed over the other, and then we rolled in and dispatched the victor, claiming the cargo holds of both wrecked boats for our own. Not the most glorious battle, but it was a lot of plunder.

As we returned home with our spoils, we found that only half of our boats were able to get into our home map before it was population-capped. Those who got in found themselves facing off against a raiding party of half a dozen large boats, and twice again as many medium boats. It quickly turned into a battle of attrition, with both sides burning through precious lifegiving water and kits of weapons and armor at an alarming rate...but in the end, we just had too many of our resources waiting in queue, and not enough on the map, so we were forced to admit defeat. Fortunately, our Proxy Defense hour had already passed earlier, so they were unable to take the map from us. All they got was a bunch of damaged gear and a few boxes of basic resources they had plundered from our bases; we had learned from previous encounters to keep the more valuable resources safe in the cargo hold of lobbied ships.

We did notice that the enemy raiding us had left the Proxy on their home tile vulnerable. Strange that they had chosen this time to raid us. But since half of our warboats were unable to get in to defend our home, we decided to send them out on the attack instead. We met only minimal defenses and were able to burn the enemy Proxy fairly easily, removing their official claim to the territory and depriving them of considerable resource income.

Unfortunately, they did have backup measures in place, unlike any we had encountered before. They dropped down several bases around us, and just respawned from the facilities within endlessly, always equipped with high-tier weapons and armor. We fought well, but ultimately our boats had fewer respawns and kits, so we were forced to abandoned the damaged boats and flee with the rest. Taking their proxy was a symbolic victory to be sure, but it only cost them a small percent of their resources, while we lost over half our fleet.

Of course, most of the boats we lost were lower quality boats we had built early on, and were honestly looking for an excuse to replace them. Tomorrow we begin rebuilding a much stronger fleet, utilizing all that we have learned from every battle.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2020, 04:36:27 am »

Holy crap. These stories are fantastic. Thanks, Folly!
The video was quite entertaining, too, like a huge, chaotic mashup of Kenshi, Planetside (which I've played only briefly) and a large-scale multiplayer vehicle combat game of your choosing (since the genre has ballooned in recent years but I still haven't really played any).   
It'd be kind of nice if the actual hand-to-hand combat was as satisfying to watch as that of Kenshi (or various other games in the same ballpark), but it still looks like it'd be pretty damn fun to play.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2020, 05:26:12 am »

And of course, as soon as we finished setting up in our new location, the Chinese rolled in with half a dozen medium boats, and came straight for us. The clan came to our defense immediately. The Chinese had great numbers, but their boats and equipment were of low quality, and they clearly did not know how to use them. We dispatched their boats easily.
Then they sent in more boats. And we destroyed those as well. But during the third wave, while we were dealing with the larger boats, a fleet of smaller spider-walkers flanked our Clay Base and burned a hole in the wall. They made off with several boxes of our best materials, and all we got from them was a pile of cheap boat wreckage and a few beat-up sets of basic weapons and armor.

Was that really a case of 'did not know how to use them'? Because it reminds me of what one group did in another game once... basically:
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2020, 03:29:11 am »

My guess is that there must have been a spy (on both accounts).

1) Last Oasis Clan: How did they know exactly where to hit?
2) The siege that actually was: How did they know which siege was going to be lightly defended?

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2020, 05:51:05 am »

My guess is that there must have been a spy (on both accounts).

1) Last Oasis Clan: How did they know exactly where to hit?
2) The siege that actually was: How did they know which siege was going to be lightly defended?

I don't think they knew in advance, but it's not unreasonable to expect defenders to get sick of arranging their schedule to allow for the defense if it was a non-starter over and over. As far as I recall, it was also the first meta-game attack of that nature so it caught people off-guard.

As for Last Oasis... assuming they weren't just bad and lucky or cheating to some degree (spy), I'd guess the first few attacks were to push deep to act as recon and see if they can spot probable targets, and then falling back as a feint.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2020, 03:02:07 pm »

Spies are an unfortunate reality in clans like this. We have well over 100 members, and a very high turnover rate. Members get burned out quickly when they are fighters who feel there's too much time grinding and not enough time fighting, or grinders who spend a lot of time grinding and then lose it all in a quick one-sided encounter. It's not a game genre for everyone.
Honestly, the only way our group has survived is thanks to a dedicated HR person who barely even plays the game because he just spends all day interviewing applicants and shuffling people between teams to keep them populated. That guy is literally amazing.
But with so many people coming and going, it's impossible to ensure they are all properly vetted, or monitor them at all times. Every day it seems we have a new case of someone who logged out with their boat or base shared with the clan, and came back the next day with all of their resources stolen despite no signs of forced entry. And we have caught more than a few culprits in the act and dispatched them, but it keeps happening.
There have also been plenty of instances of groups of farmers heading out to look for resources, only to immediately be met by a raiding party as soon as they are beyond the protection of our home forces. These are things we have come to expect, and all we can do is remain vigilant.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2020, 06:28:17 pm »

Hm, I'm thinking one of the Kenshi modders plays Last Oasis Clan:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 07, 2020, 03:39:02 pm »

This game seems interesting, but what is the time commitment like and is it worth the $?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2020, 08:42:08 pm »

Compared to other survival games, the time commitment is a bit more lenient because you can safely log your character, your ride, and your base out whenever you need to go do RL stuff. If you get into clan stuff you'll probably have a Proxy to defend, with a 1 hour window at the same time each day, so that requires a bit more commitment.

Is it worth the $? It's an EA title getting regular updates. Right now I'd say barely worth the $, but getting better all the time.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 11, 2020, 03:27:18 am »

We had some quiet time after the big content patch. The patch included a bunch of cosmetic stuff, 1 new walker, some small quality-of-life changes, and some major performance boosts. It also included an intermittent server crash which made the game pretty much unplayable for a couple of days until it got fixed. They also banned a bunch of cheaters during the patch, and those cheaters were salty about it; as soon as the server crashes got fixed, they began DDOS'ing, rendering the game unplayable for a few more days. But eventually we did return to normalcy, and the Last Oasis was much better off.

Some drama in my Clan's Alliance resulted in the Alliance disbanding. Several other Clans and Alliances in the area suffered the same fate at the same time, both friendly and unfriendly. A bit suspicious how the timing of that worked out.
Amidst this unrest, another big alliance decided to make their move, taking over all the map tiles in our area. They rolled in heavy 2 hours before our proxy defense, before many of our fighters were online, and population-locked the tile. As the Proxy-defense time drew closer they began engaging, and we did our best to defend. We took down a few of their boats, but ultimately we were just too heavily outnumbered, and in the end we lost our Proxy along with about a third of our fleet.

Needing a new home and new allies, we decided to make another big move, from the west coast of America to the east coast of America. Some of you may remember that this is where we began our journey. We picked a hard tile with only a very small clan who didn't even bother to defend, and we took over.
Unfortunately, we had been there less than a day before someone(we still don't know whom, or if the accusations were even true) used a racial slur against one of our new neighbors, who then called in their friends to attack us. We were still moving half of our already depleted fleet, so we didn't have much to defend with, and we lost what little we did have.
We still have our farming boats, and a few warboats to protect them, so we can rebuild. But we need a tile to rebuild upon, and it seems the neighbors are not inclined to let us use this one. So the leaders called a meeting to discuss what to do. The meeting went long. It went very long. And 5 hours later, the leaders finally came back to us with some dire news...

While all of this was going on, our intelligence department was learning that the Chinese have just assembled an army of over 7000 Nomads, brought together under one banner, with the sole purpose of conquering every map tile in North America. There is always a bigger fish.
They are expected to begin moving within the week. Even if the fractured Alliances of North America were to unite they would still be heavily outnumbered. And considering the tensions between these alliances, any treaty is highly unlikely, even in the face of certain doom.

Our current plan is to migrate to western Europe and try to regroup there. Of course there are going to be a lot of other Americans wanting to do the same thing, and there are already Europeans in that area who are unlikely to give up their land easily, but it's our only viable option.
With our current diminished fighting capacity, it is vital that we find new allies as soon as possible. The fate of our clan currently rests in the hands of a diplomatic office with a sketchy history.
Gods help us.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5