Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Last Oasis Clan - The Dune Dwellers  (Read 7315 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Last Oasis Clan - The Dune Dwellers
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2020, 08:50:44 pm »

You could defend America.  I'm sure if you volunteers to man the tiles on the front lines, the other tribes would let you.  You don't have win those battles: You just have to stall long enough for the attacking alliance to break up.  If every tile has to be fought over, rather than have many of them being "gimmes", that should stall things a bit. If somebody, even somebody truly hated, were to do this, many would rally to help them.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2020, 07:35:20 am »

Picked up the game the other day, first chance to play!

Do y'all recommend the realms or community servers?
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2020, 08:24:41 am »

I might be interested in this at some point. PTW.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2020, 09:21:10 am »

Also @Folly, which clan are you with???

EDIT: For anyone curious, the game is surprisingly polished. For one the optimization (playing largely solo) is way better than say, Conan. Really HQ Mount & Blade-esque combat (multi-directional attacking and blocking). Pretty fun crafting too, though you best be sure you can move any base you want to make as server shards (or "oases") periodically burn up as the map shifts eastwards. Having played solo and having a blast, I think the game definitely shines best with friends, having a crewed walker or two just seems infinitely more fun and efficient than doing it all yourself.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2020, 08:07:19 pm by Urist McScoopbeard »

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2020, 05:02:05 am »

It's patch time!
The patch being deployed right now will start the process of burning old oases and generating new ones. Also we will be seeing special nodes pop up with meteor strikes, containing iron for players to fight over, and unlocking access to the higher tech levels. We will also see a return of the Nurrs, giant desert-cats who got an unintended buff in the last patch, allowing them to 1-shot boats and prompting devs to disable them until a fix could be implemented.
And some of the new maps will feature caps to the number of clan members allowed at one time. This change is intended to give smaller clans a chance to play without getting zerged by giant mega-clans. The devs acknowledge that mega-clans will still find workarounds, but say this is only a first iteration of their plans and there is more to come.

After the dramatic events in my last post, our Clan leader made the call that we would be merging into another, particularly disreputable Clan. I've avoided using my Clan name in the past to discourage unwanted attention, but I don't mind saying now that this decision spelled the end of the Walker Reclamation Agency. A small group of his close friends merged along with our leader, but almost everyone else decided to seek new homes elsewhere.

Two of the subcommanders from WRA grabbed up most of the members of my team and one other team, along with some of their friends from past lives, and formed a new Clan, of which I am now a part. We're somewhat fewer in number, but honestly those who were picked are among the most talented and dependable contributors, taken from the sea of tourists and selfish soloists and spies that made up most of WRA. And our new leadership is much more dedicated towards forming alliances, carefully picking enemies, and ensuring that all of us work together as a cohesive and functional unit. I'm much more satisfied and enjoying my playtime more since the transition.

We managed to lay low for a few days, hiding in the shadow of a larger stronger ally, while we built our new fleet and gathered a surplus of supplies for when that fleet inevitably gets destroyed. But last night we learned that a neighbor sharing the tile with us was sitting on top of a particularly lucrative source of high-quality materials. We attempted to negotiate, offering fair trade for some of their quality materials. In exchange they demanded a large sum of fire arrows.
Now, fire arrows are only used for two things, and those are burning open enemy boats and bases. This offer was interpreted as an insult. So we decided to use a small fraction of the fire arrows they requested to instead burn down their base and simply take the resources. Our neighbors did their best to consume, destroy, or flee with as many of their resources as possible, but we still finished the fight with boxes full of enough plunder to build several new high-quality warboats.
Later that day our neighbors called in some of their allies, and together they chased us off the tile we were calling home. But that tile was days away from burning anyway, and we already had plans for where we would move next.

Regarding the Chinese threat, we've seen a few scouting parties, but no major movements yet. Our assumption is that they are waiting until after the burn begins, so that they can focus their resources on the newer and more valuable maps.
The American mega-clans have not come together in quite the way we might have hoped, but we have seen a noticeable increase in non-aggression pacts between the big clans and smaller clans, as everyone attempts to solidify their power as much as possible before the coming storm.
My own clan has certainly benefited from this, forming a pact with a mega-clan that once destroyed anyone not under their umbrella, and settling within their territory where few outside aggressors dare to invade. Our benefactors are however on the front lines with China, and so circumstances may be changing very quickly.

I think the game definitely shines best with friends, having a crewed walker or two just seems infinitely more fun and efficient than doing it all yourself.

Absolutely agree, and I feel this merits explaining a few things about resources.

First of all, there is a medium-sized boat called the Toboggan. Noteworthy features of the Toboggan are that the cargo hold can store up to 1000 items per slot, and the Toboggan does not slow down significantly when weighed down by heavy cargo. These aspects make the Toboggan ideal for gathering resources.

Secondly, the Forager and Lumberjack modules. When installed on a walker, these modules allow it to harvest trees and plants that it walks over, respectively. A single module will harvest one or two resources per node trampled, which is pretty bad. The modules can be stacked however, and with 10 of each a boat can easily accumulate thousands of resources per minute. There is another module which speeds up the processing of workstations built on deck; ten of this module allows for nigh instantaneous crafting, so you can rapidly convert the wood and fiber you are amassing into shafts, ropes, cloth, and other subcomponents.

However, boats can only equip a limited number of modules, preventing you from making one boat that does everything. The way to surpass this limit is with quality resources! A high quality boat can hold more modules, so install a rangefinder and start seeking out those quality materials!

And of course all of this is a lot of work for one person, so ideally you should find a crew who can split up the tasks, and then share the profits when it all comes together.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2020, 10:09:09 am »

Must... resist... temptation... to buy ANOTHER game!

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2020, 09:04:11 pm »

Also, running with a very chill NA - East clan now, in case anyone DOES pick up the game (and is from the region or doesnt mind migrating). PM for deets.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2020, 03:28:35 am »

Previously, sawblades attached to toolpods could not harvest quality materials. Last night's patch fixed that. Furthermore, there appears to be no cap on the quality level they can farm. My clan threw together a couple of q80 sawblades using the materials we looted in that previous battle, and spent all night tonight driving around harvesting huge amounts of wood well over q100.

This is going to make it much easier to build high quality warboats. Finding modules to put on those boats will become the new main bottleneck to making them ready for battle.

EDIT: Hotfix tonight says they've added a cap to quality harvested by sawblades. We've yet to learn what that cap is, but I expect they will still be useful.
EDIT 2: Sawblade has been confirmed to function like a tier4 hatchet, with a softcap of quality 80.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020, 01:56:08 am by Folly »

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2020, 06:58:18 pm »

Last few days have been all about the new iron maps.
It's fun sailing in with a small crew, frantically dashing between iron ore rocks and harvesting them, and more often than not clashing with another boat trying to do the same thing and either walking away with all their iron or letting them walk away with ours. Mostly the former.
And the new iron tools are pretty great, giving roughly twice the resources of the previous tier. Weapons and armor are similarly changing the game, offering a significant advantage to those who have them against those who do not. It's a very exciting time to be in the desert.

Today the major alliances did manage to come together briefly for a common cause; wiping one of their own. Team Casualty got a reputation for not playing well with others, and today it was agreed that basically everyone in North America would turn on them all at once. Here is a screenshot of just one of their tiles. There were more than a dozen that looked like this all at once.

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2020, 08:18:59 am »

Were they the clan that's been accused of using dupes and cheats in large numbers?
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2020, 03:24:23 pm »

Nope. Those are the Russians. They recently had some drama which resulted in a split, and some of their members ended up posting youtube videos showing how the duping exploit works, and verifying that their entire clan was benefiting heavily from it. In response the dev's banned only 2 people. This has created considerable uproar from the wider community, as many people are currently calling for the entire Russian clan to be zero'd, and some are accusing them of having inside connections with the development team.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2020, 03:31:44 pm »

Today the major alliances did manage to come together briefly for a common cause; wiping one of their own. Team Casualty got a reputation for not playing well with others, and today it was agreed that basically everyone in North America would turn on them all at once. Here is a screenshot of just one of their tiles. There were more than a dozen that looked like this all at once.

I'm guessing that one red dot in the corner is the guy from Team Casualty while everybody else is trashing their place?
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2020, 09:21:27 pm »

Were they the clan that's been accused of using dupes and cheats in large numbers?

TC, CSTG, and OwO have all been accused of dupes n cheats methinks

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 25, 2020, 09:55:28 pm »

Well yeah, pretty much every major alliances has dipped their toe into the cheating pool. But most of them were smart enough to restrict it to expendable sub-clans, most of which got zero'd in the last big patch. The Russians were the only ones allowing their main force to benefit directly and extensively from dupes, and also the only ones not to experience significant repercussions from doing so.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5