Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A question about (the lack of) booze  (Read 1906 times)

DrCyano

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
A question about (the lack of) booze
« on: March 29, 2020, 04:11:14 pm »

Hi y'all!

I haven't seen any booze in Adventure Mode, and of course my Dwarf adventurers have to drink water instead of beer. I even tried founding an adventurer site to see if I could brew my own, but alas, no such luck.

However, the hill-Dwarf peasant farmers I encounter are sometimes drunk. So my questions are:
  • Is there any way at all to acquire alcohol in Adventure Mode?
  • Are drunk Dwarves/NPCs in Adventure mode permanently drunk? In other words, is "drunk" a condition or personality trait?

A mad scientist necromancer, a peasant with a dream, a secret message inscribed on a gem, a giant bridge.
Come witness the Saga of the Puzzling Sea!
A documented Dwarf Fortress v0.47.xx game combining Fort Mode and Adventure Mode.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A question about (the lack of) booze
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 05:25:34 pm »

Taverns have barrels of booze.
Drunk is a noun, he is a drunk.
"a person who is drunk or who habitually drinks to excess."
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 05:27:15 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 05:26:45 pm »

You need to hit a Dwarven fortress. Old enough Dwarven forts have taverns. There in a tavern should always be some booze in barrels.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 05:27:41 pm »

Taverns can be found in towns too.

Vicious_Unicycle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2020, 09:16:07 pm »

You can also spend equipment points at character creation to have some in your inventory at the start. And once you've got some alcohol, you can actually duplicate it ad infinitum by dumping it on the ground to create a pool of booze, then filling your container from the pool.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2020, 09:51:11 pm »

You can also spend equipment points at character creation to have some in your inventory at the start. And once you've got some alcohol, you can actually duplicate it ad infinitum by dumping it on the ground to create a pool of booze, then filling your container from the pool.
And then build your own tavern!

HungThir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 01:22:08 am »

I even tried founding an adventurer site to see if I could brew my own, but alas, no such luck.

if you use the dfhack advfort script, you can construct a brewery at your adventurer site, and then use it to brew drinks

if you have an old fort-mode fort that has a brewery, advfort will also let you brew there in the same way.  but world-gen locations don't have them

you can usually buy various brewable fruits by the hundreds from market traders in towns (or you can pick fruit from trees/plants if they're in season), and you can already make barrels through a carpenter's workshop with vanilla

i haven't found a reliable way to get the dwarven alcohol ingredients (plump helmets, pig tails, etc), but i haven't tried real hard, since it's easy enough to just make a lifetime's worth of like strawberry wine or whatever

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2020, 01:25:11 am »

Adventure site is magnet for animal spawns. They cause severe lag and ultimately crashes to desktop.
However world-generated locations with some Dwarves living in them, are free from animal pest-spawns.
So pick a nice, large house in your starting location and dump the alcohol you brought with you on ground, inside.

I think all Dwarven hillocks have plump helmets inside houses, stored in bags.
However i never seen pig tails, sweet pods or cave wheat outside of caverns.
You can get to caverns through some of the monster locations or through some Dwarven fortresses or through Dark Towers (but it needs lots of combat to kill 1000+ trolls on your path).
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 01:29:34 am by Sarmatian123 »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2020, 05:22:08 am »

YMMV with adventure sites, I think it depends where you start your place. I haven't experienced that bug, but also usually die before anything of interest happens.

You can make a tiny embark fortress, build what you want then abandon it, gather from there and start your new place in adventure mode.

HungThir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2020, 09:17:03 pm »

i haven't had any particular problem with animals spawning in adventurer sites. in my experience they have seemed to spawn at about the same rate they do in regular fortresses, i.e. not enough to really notice unless you're actively looking for them

Vicious_Unicycle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2020, 11:29:57 pm »

Ooh! That gives me some nefarious ideas on what to do with the chalice full of vampire blood my current adventurer has been carrying around...

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2020, 11:46:26 pm »

Ooh! That gives me some nefarious ideas on what to do with the chalice full of vampire blood my current adventurer has been carrying around...

Now that's some real dwarven thinking.