Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How to stop Artifact theft  (Read 8891 times)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to stop Artifact theft
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2020, 11:52:43 am »

There's always the dwarven method of assassination (which involves burning the villain's whole town to the ground). I can see why that might be considered a bit extreme, though.
I did consider that as an option, but it has a few flaws:
- The villain is probably a civilian, and so will merely be displaced; and
- You'd have to find out where the villain is. This can be done using Legends Mode info, but I suspect you can't get that through interrogation.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2020, 07:35:12 pm »

Villains probably can climb.
Still it is funky how Dwarves can see not only horizontally or vertically, but also up and down.
I do not think you can construct window as floor, which i pity.

However how about 1 level deep 1x1 pit with artifact on pedestal there in this hole?
If Dwarf stands next to the 1x1 pit, then shouldn't this Dwarf see the pedestal as adjacent to him and enjoy the artifact?

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2020, 07:40:29 pm »

So far dumping all my artifacts into a pit has worked well enough.

Also I haven't lost any artifacts assigned to military dwarves as equipment. Seems they won't let stuff be taken directly from them, though I think there's still a risk of theft if they ever drop the items.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2020, 06:20:55 am »

Glass grate.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2020, 06:03:48 pm »

Glass grate.

Do Dwarves see through grate?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2020, 12:15:59 am »

They can reveal hidden enemies through them.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2020, 04:53:36 am »

They can reveal hidden enemies through them.
This would be the answer then, if you can build pedestal with an artifact on such a grate one floor above Dwarves.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2020, 07:25:31 am »

Only provided dorfs can get appropriate thoughts from items/buildings one Z level away, and not just horizontally. I'm not aware of any tests of that. Also, provided the underlying assumptions hold, I think you'd have to reverse it, i.e. have the dorfs walk on the grate, as I don't think you can build pedestals on top of grates.

coalboat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2020, 08:18:36 am »

One can also put the pedestal behind wall grate or vertical bars.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2020, 08:37:44 am »

I think grate will act like wall, so separation will be more then 1 tile.
Maybe you can not build on top of the grate, but grate can cover hole with artifact on pedestal. This is 1 tile separation, as I understand from reading how distance calculations works for archers.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2020, 10:11:16 am »

I think grate will act like wall, so separation will be more then 1 tile.
Maybe you can not build on top of the grate, but grate can cover hole with artifact on pedestal. This is 1 tile separation, as I understand from reading how distance calculations works for archers.
Which is what I meant by reversing the the placement. However, it's useless unless admiration works vertically.
Pages: 1 [2]