Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So im playing adventure mode...  (Read 2323 times)

nohrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So im playing adventure mode...
« on: March 30, 2020, 09:09:33 am »

Starting as an outsider human peasant, just to make things difficult, naturally starting naked (crossbow and axe in hands)... first thought, "need to get clothes".
Fell a tree, built a workshop, made a wooden shield, went to a random citizen (ask to exchange personal items aka trade) too see how much it's worth and will I profit making shields... its worth 1...
Dissaponted I still want to make a trade... so I pick a pouch he has... Its worth 1 as well, "I will prolly need it", trade succesful, open up inventory the pouch is filled with gold silver and copper.
I came back after like 5 years or something, is that a known bug? Currency stored in pouch is not recognized?

Edit: Now trading my empty pouches for their pouches full of gold, yea alright nevermind, that must be a bug

Edit2:This link made me wanna play adv mode, awesome story telling highly recommend: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDX5hmtjqtw&list=PLXX7Rp0iXj0mlQyXazbpEsHVYh8t11lYl&index=1
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 04:12:50 pm by nohrel »

Vicious_Unicycle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So im playing adventure mode...
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 03:01:06 pm »

I didn't think there was a way to view item value in adventure mode. Did it say "1☼" or "1r"? Because "r" is weight. "☼" is value. And 1 is a reasonable weight for a wooden shield, but the value would probably be closer to 30ish (I think). Higher if it was above basic quality.

How much gold did they have on them? Coins aren't actually worth that much, I don't think. As I understand it, a single gold coin is only worth 3/5ths of 1☼. And copper's only 1/25th. I've definitely gotten NPCs refusing a trade offer because I didn't offer them enough to make it worth it.

I'm not sure exactly how the game determines whether an NPC will agree to an exchange or not, but I believe that they don't strictly have to trade at a profit as long as the items are close enough in value to make it a roughly fair trade. If the coins in their pouch only add, say, 4-5☼, and a pouch is worth 10☼, then trading an empty pouch for a pouch with coins in it might fall into the "eh, close enough" range.

Or maybe it is bugged. The whole economics thing is pretty wonky. I wouldn't be too surprised.

nohrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 04:54:09 pm »

Yea, I trade empty hemp pouch of normal quality for their hemp pouch of normal quality that contains 4 gold coins, 11 silver and 68 copper,(empty gold from one pouch to another.. trade the remaining empty pouch for a brand new one full of gold)  pretty neat exploit xd

Vicious_Unicycle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 11:24:49 pm »

Oh yeah, if they're made of hemp, that works out to like 7☼ worth of coins in a 20☼ pouch, I'm pretty sure. I wonder if you could get the same outcome with leather pouches?

Oh, would you look at that; I am now a Novice Appraiser. Neat.

HungThir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2020, 02:09:56 am »

dfhack shows item values (on the item description screen) in adventure mode, but vanilla doesn't at all

npcs in adventure mode often don't recognise their own coins.  they only recognise coins from their own civilisation, but they often live in towns belonging to other civilisations, and when they spawn in the town's coins in their inventory?  i don't know if there's a bug report for it (probably; i simply haven't looked), but it seems pretty well known among regular adventure mode players

as you've discovered, npcs who don't recognise their own coins will happily trade them away for $1 each regardless of their monetary value, so you can quite easily accumulate a whole lot of coins real cheap.  but good luck finding someone who will accept those coins as currency (and has anything you wanna buy)!  ;D

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2020, 04:43:50 pm »

The economy is very limited and situational so far. It'll be improved eventually, just gotta wait for it.

Your best bet isn't to bother directly with coins. Get your hands on gems and high value gear instead. Then find the local imported goods shops and trade with them for the local coins at an extremely advantageous exchange rate.

HungThir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2020, 01:21:45 am »

honestly, i don't really bother with gems anymore, cause i always end up carrying around more wealth than i could ever spend just in carved bone earrings

nohrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2020, 03:30:19 pm »

By the way, this guy made me wanna play adventure mode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDX5hmtjqtw&list=PLXX7Rp0iXj0mlQyXazbpEsHVYh8t11lYl&index=1

I can't believe how good it is, he's prolly really famous among the DF community, but just in cause You didn't know him,check it out..  I discovered him like 2 days ago, and can't get enough xd

Vicious_Unicycle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2020, 04:43:29 pm »

Oh yeah, Krugg's real big around here. His old Steelclutches series was a big part of what got me into this game.

As for economics, I generally only trade stuff to satisfy the "acquire object" need. Or to equip companions with better gear. If I actually need to buy something off of someone, I generally trade in artifacts. In terms of purchasing power, nothing beats priceless. And I don't need to hold on to 3 different dwarf bone hatch covers.

nohrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2020, 02:16:27 am »

I won't create a new thread so to not spam, I have a little problem: So I am playing adventure mode:

I found a shrine thingy with a die... so I rolled it, It turned me into a giant rat! (dropped all my items on the ground)
So I hung around near my stuff, wondering how long will I be a rat... I did bit few gray langurs in the meantime, which was fun...went sleep, woke up back a human.

Picked up all my stuff... and my walking speed is 0.099. I checked all my stats (thinking "Oh, prolly I have the strength of a rat , or something), I'm still an Adequate Armor user and have Above average strength. When im totally naked my speed is 0.952 (Walking speed, and standing/ Jog brings me up to 1.344) now.... when I pick up an item.. say my Copper chain leggins (their weight is 29) my speed goes down from 0.952 to 0.158... No matter if I put them on or carry them in my hand, totally naked otherwise slow as a turtle, what happened to me? (when I try to jog having the leggings on me, the speed is 0.166) (When crawling: 0.119)

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2020, 03:49:34 am »

There are a few bug reports related to this:

https://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=11243
https://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=11271
https://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=11365

I've heard others complain of speed changing after such a transformation, but none seem to have reported it as the bug it likely is. I'll copy and link your post in that 1st one (as the others should be flagged as duplicates).
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

nohrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2020, 03:58:30 am »

Oh thank You, Ziusudra! Thanks for being awesome, please stay healthy! : D I will scrap my adventurer, and make a fortress instead real quick, there is a person who makes like proper nice art if You provide him a description of an artifact, I really want to get an artifact now xd

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2020, 01:45:58 am »

Uploading your save would be helpful for the bug report.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?