Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: FFXIV: A Thread Reborn 2020 - Hyperion?  (Read 2180 times)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
FFXIV: A Thread Reborn 2020 - Hyperion?
« on: March 30, 2020, 01:00:05 pm »

Hey folks.

Some of us are getting into FFXIV, I play on Hyperion, some folks have also joined Hyperion, hence the thread.

Post here to talk about it!
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FFXIV: A Thread Reborn 2020 - Hyperion?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 02:11:09 pm »

I got to the airship part, and switched jobs to see something different. It's a lot harder to level a second class with most of the early quests already done, and it looks like you don't gain anything transferable between jobs? I was expecting more of a final fantasy 3 or 5 job system, where it was a bit more mix-and-match.

It looks like most non-gathering craft jobs are going to need you to spend a lot of money or wait until you have all of the gathering jobs before you can advance them.

I've also always had the idea that MMOs were more social. It looks like it's less "find some people and go on an adventure" and more "we need these types of people to use these skills at the right time to beat this boss", which is a bit more mechanical than is fun.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2020, 04:04:59 pm »

I'm just a catgirl on Adamantoise, cooped up and waiting out Covid-19. I enjoy tanking and healing and not going insane. 

I got to the airship part, and switched jobs to see something different. It's a lot harder to level a second class with most of the early quests already done, and it looks like you don't gain anything transferable between jobs? I was expecting more of a final fantasy 3 or 5 job system, where it was a bit more mix-and-match.

It looks like most non-gathering craft jobs are going to need you to spend a lot of money or wait until you have all of the gathering jobs before you can advance them.

I've also always had the idea that MMOs were more social. It looks like it's less "find some people and go on an adventure" and more "we need these types of people to use these skills at the right time to beat this boss", which is a bit more mechanical than is fun.

It seems that discord helps the game be a lot more fun, probably. For early levels in classes, engaging in the hunting log is a must, and doing some FATES if you can.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 04:06:32 pm by JoshuaFH »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2020, 07:16:49 pm »

Yeah, crafting requires either gathering or lots of money. You do get extra xp if the class you are leveling is lower than your highest job. They used to have cross-class skills, where you could use a select few skills from say, archer or whatnot, on another class like summoner to boost your DPS. It unfortunately led to people refusing to accept people who hadn't leveled the "right" extra classes, which was more unfun and excluded people.

Definitely go ahead and find an FC, that's where the fun social stuff comes from. If you are on Hyperion, go find Crimson Moon. That's my FC, my internet is down so I can't get you in myself. But if you tell em Duna sent you you'll be set.

@JoshuaFH

Yeah the hunting log is super great at lower levels. You can also run the daily Leveling Roulette once you've done Sastasha +  Tam-Tara. That's usually at LEAST one level.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2020, 07:48:20 pm »

Yeah the hunting log is super great at lower levels. You can also run the daily Leveling Roulette once you've done Sastasha +  Tam-Tara. That's usually at LEAST one level.

Yeah, there seems to be a very heavy "relative level" modifier for the roulettes, where you get a bonus relative to your level, and higher levels get a much larger bonus to compensate for their higher need for EXP.

But there's also an Easter Event going on, where you run around and throw slime balls at chickens, and catch'em, and you get a bunny suit at the end. It takes place in a teeny tiny area, and so it's just pure chaos as dozens of people crowd in to get at these chickens. Very fun.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 08:02:55 pm »

The events are usually quite good. The Valentine's one was a two-person puzzle that matched you with a rando and you had to coordinate puzzles between yourselves to test how "compatible" you were.

There was a maze where you had to step on plates to let the other one through, but also couldn't be physically too far i a straight line from your partner or you;d lose points.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2020, 12:09:51 am »

I tried to my old account but I've forgotten the birthdate I used for it so it won't let me reset the password. Changing birthdate requires me to send them a picture of an ID or passport.

...So in other words it looks like I'm gonna have to make a new account ;)
Love, scriver~

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2020, 07:54:44 am »

I tried to my old account but I've forgotten the birthdate I used for it so it won't let me reset the password. Changing birthdate requires me to send them a picture of an ID or passport.

...So in other words it looks like I'm gonna have to make a new account ;)

Was it January 1?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2020, 08:08:17 am »

I remember neither month, day, nor year
Love, scriver~

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2020, 12:46:07 pm »

Where is the Easter thing? All I see is a bunch of eggs that can't be interacted with.

I remember neither month, day, nor year

Oh, year might be a problem.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2020, 01:44:53 pm »

Where is the Easter thing? All I see is a bunch of eggs that can't be interacted with.

Go to the plaza in Gridania, across from the leatherworker's guild.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2020, 02:34:52 pm »

I did a few chancings and I actually happened on the right date within the first three tries :D
Love, scriver~

scriver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2020, 05:20:22 pm »

Does race stat differences matter much? I really want to make a shortelf lancer. Or a pugilist.

I guess if you can just change classes one could just do that; )
Love, scriver~

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2020, 06:11:21 pm »

Does race stat differences matter much? I really want to make a shortelf lancer. Or a pugilist.

I guess if you can just change classes one could just do that; )

It's like 5 points difference between minimum and maximum? It probably sort of matters at low level, except everything at low level is easy, so who cares.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2020, 08:53:03 pm »

I'm loving the Easter Parade event going on right now. Just walking around and being jovial and giving out fake eggs to NPC's. I honestly wish it was longer and more ambitious, but as is it is very lighthearted and good-natured fun.
Pages: [1] 2