Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What to do when reclaiming a pre generated ruin fort  (Read 587 times)

mason531

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What to do when reclaiming a pre generated ruin fort
« on: March 30, 2020, 07:49:41 pm »

What are some good helpful tips when reclaiming an old ruin fort

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: What to do when reclaiming a pre generated ruin fort
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2020, 09:45:16 pm »

Lock yourself in - there's a ton of junk in there from goods to rotten food. It'll take a long time to put everything in stockpiles. The fort is probably open to the caverns, so build walls quickly there. Make sure the whole place is safe - Cavern critters come up pretty quickly if its open.
Don't reclaim everything all at once. Kind of slowly work through it. Reclaim a floor or two at a time, but not the whole thing all at once, or manage your hauling labors carefully.
Don't be afraid to knock down walls. I always felt the need to kind of keep the fort the way it was and try and make it work - but they're randomly generated messes. Just start knocking down walls and repurpose areas as you see fit.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2020, 12:33:33 am »

Immediately, put a dwarf in the military and 'm'ove them down the stairs, search until you find a lot of food. Place a food stockpile under the food and leave it there until you have time to collect it (if it already rotted, oops...).

Expect potential threats from above and from below.

You may find no trees on the surface to cut, and may need to be sparing with your use of wood (the caravans will being some if you have none).

You do not need to bulk reclaim the depot, which could cause many hauling jobs, but can just reclaim the three building materials when you 't' the depot.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2020, 02:06:26 am »

A thing that caught me on one of my few attempts was that while there were no trees on the surface, the above ground part was made out of wood - which turned out to be wood blocks...