Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Want stairs inside workshops?: Carve fortifications into buildings  (Read 1341 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile

Some of you may remember the infinite layer stone trick I previously posted in trivial findings.

Spoiler: post (click to show/hide)

Pretty cool, but nobody really runs out of stone so it was niche.

Until I realized today I forgot a thing to try out: building something on top, then carving the fortification:

||

Pictured: a Jeweler workshop with fortification SE corner tile.

Hidden under triggered pressure plate: a fortifaction dug into a ramp and carved into a EW track ramp that sent south-pushed minecart careening off to SE, while opening the door.

||

Pictured: A loom with updown stairs in center made right after embark in 47.04

To replicate, Construct Wall → Mark for deconstruction and fortification carving→ Deconstruct → Build what you want → Carve Fortification → Dig into your favourite shape.

Replication en masse: Massively trivial, compared to obsidian-casting.

Potential: Staggering.

I cannot possibly think of all applications. Here are but a few:

A: The ability to vertically stack clothing industry is but the most obvious application of this; it can help save tiles near everywhere there's z-traversal and buildings.

B: Imagine pressure plate on track ramp, pushing against linked floating door: you can have a minecart that rolls down the ramp the moment first item is stored inside, allowing you to singularize cage disposal or distribute goods evenly between stockpiles.

C: Or maybe you want to easily make an enemy-only bridge gate.

D: Or maybe you want six-directions doors.

E: Or maybe you want untouchable but admirable pedastals.

F: Or maybe you want to combine floodgate and fortification instead for shutters for shooting.

G: Or maybe you want to lock your 8 hens with caged male in center below a hatch in center above.

H: Or maybe you want a build a very tall stairway, where each tile is weapon trap that makes them dodge off to the bottom.

I: Or maybe you want an inaccessible armor stand, so that the rest of the floor can be grates you drop dwarves through.

J: Or maybe you want your axles to go through something BDs can't touch.

K: Or maybe you want to dial the energy ramps give slightly down with a track stop.

It's sure to change my future fortress layouts, but what else could you do with it?