Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves staying in mines  (Read 451 times)

Chris1024

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Dwarves staying in mines
« on: March 31, 2020, 01:07:44 pm »

Hello,
I hope this hasn't been asked before (idk how I could look for something like this), but my miners are stuck in an area, specifically, they won't go above a certain z-level, even if I have assigned jobs to them on a higher one. Also, after having dug out something on these lower z-levels, they immediately go back into a specific area of about 4 squares. Idk whether it matters, but I've used ramps to get down there in the first place, and am very certain that they could go up if they wanted to.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves staying in mines
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 03:12:13 pm »

Destroyed or unusable ramps/stairs would be the number 1 suspect. Burrows might be a second one. An accidental meeting zone, in particular if it's associated with the tavern would cause them to gather when idle, but not when busy.

I'd check access by stationing the militia (or a newly appointed militia member if you don't have a militia) down by the miners to verify that there actually is a valid and open path available. Locked doors and built walls are other ways to block access, as well as the impassable tiles of workshops (the Jeweler's one being the worst).

And yes the question "why won't my dorfs move where they should go?" is a very common question, because there are many very easy way to screw that up. If worst comes to worst, you can upload your save to DFFD http://dffd.bay12games.com/, bugged save section and ask for help on the forum, i.e. in this thread (Don't file an actual bug report unless you're sure it is a bug. Not only will that clutter the bug tracker, but it will also take longer to get a response).