Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Post Siege - Sorting usable vs unusable  (Read 857 times)

Haytrid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Post Siege - Sorting usable vs unusable
« on: March 31, 2020, 05:57:48 pm »

I have an embark where I have found nothing better than copper/silver yet.  I was raided by some elves upset about my tree cutting.  They simply couldn't be led to understand that the tree cutting was necessary for our annual "Worlds Strongest Dorf" competition and had to be thrashed mightily.  They left behind a decent assortment of iron weapons and armor so I hesitated in wholesale melt-down and hoped to use some and trade the others.

I seemed to be unable to sort the usable vs non-usable.

I set up two stockpiles with nearly identical settings:

1st with all weapons and armor of any quality and make - usable (forbid unusable)
2nd (near trading post) with all weapons and armor of any quality and make - unusable (forbid usable)

The dorfs moved absolutely ZERO items to the unusable stock-pile.

Am I implementing this switch incorrectly?  Is there a clean'ish way to sort the clutter or should I go back to my universal smelting option?

Thank you!

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: Post Siege - Sorting usable vs unusable
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2020, 11:03:06 pm »

Dwarfs can wear all "medium sized" stuff, including what elves and goblins bring. I suspect elf and goblin clothing and armor is considered lower value because it does not fit well, but dwarfs will wear it if they need something. Human-sized stuff is "large" and will be brought to the second stockpile.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 03:08:03 am »

I'd melt everything you don't absolutely need down and convert it to steel. Even with no flux, dwarven made iron equipment will usually be of higher quality than foreign junk.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 04:14:09 am »

All weapons are "usable," even if some can currently only be used in traps due to a bug with checking individual unit sizes.

The usable vs unusable applies to armor and clothing, not all of which can be scraped for materials, but might be useful if you have humans or similarly sized people in need of new pants or something.

Haytrid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2020, 03:36:42 pm »

Ahhh, all good points.  I did read the bug about the weapons, 2h swords, pikes and such but some of the armor was actually well valued and of superior quality.  I just assumed they couldn't wear it because said "sized for an elf" in the description but that would definitely explain why they are not moving it.  I must have totally missed that the dorfs can wear elf armor, I never even considered that.

Thank you!