Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Best Ideas - Best Implementation (BIBI) Arms Race: Core Thread (Pre-game Turn 1)  (Read 974 times)

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Best Ideas - Best Implementation Arms Race

Welcome, ladies and gentlemen, to Best Ideas - Best Implementation (BIBI) Arms Race.  The true pinnacle of the genre, this is an Arms Race built around the best ideas the AR community has to offer - implemented in the best possible way.

In the shadow of WW2, four nations on an unmapped island in the South Pacific are compelled to battle to unconditional surrender because... reasons.  While small in landmass, each nation possesses a unique soft sci-fi resource that'll give them an edge.  Clever players can exploit these unique resources to create divergent and unique asymmetric weapons modern military commanders could only dream of!

Side A possesses Turbonium: a high energy organic compound.  Usable in high performance super-fueled internal combustion engines, high velocity rifle rounds, high strength composite armor, or a high lethality warhead.

Side B possesses Elastimere: a high elasticity natural polymer.  Usable in high performance wind-up engines, high velocity crossbows, high strength composite armor, or a high lethality warhead.

Side C possesses Photonics: a high sensitivity photo-reactive crystal.  Usable in high performance solar-electric engines, high performance laser rifles, high strength composite armor, or a high lethality warhead.

Side D possesses Adamantite: a high strength to weight ratio metal.  Usable in high performance low-weight internal combustion engines, high penetration rifle rounds, high strength composite armor, or a high lethality warhead.

To ensure maximum player investment, each side will have a name, flag, and general lore determined by the first person to post anything substantive in that side's thread.  That side will be bound to that legacy, even if the GM and rest of the players never really understood it to begin with, and never further reference so-called 'fluff' after the initial 'contest.'

To ensure maximum intrigue, this is a 'high opsec' AR of course, with each side never fully becoming aware of each other's full equipment list and infrastructure.  To fill out the starting equipment and infrastructure, there will be seven pre-game turns.  During these precious pre-game turns, each side will get three designs a turn (because I like that idea) without the pesky interruption of battle-testing feedback.  Without the burden of having to write battle reports, the GM should complete each pre-game turn in no less than a month.

After seven IRL months or so, combat will be enjoined and all parties who are still invested in this AR will discover if the GM can write a satisfying battle report (mechanically, narratively, and thematically).  Two sides will discover that they squandered the last seven months building the wrong infrastructure and not enough of it.  A third side will be reduced to one player on Discord who remembers this AR, but can't be bothered to write anything.  The fourth 'winning' side will consist of two of the usual power-players from every other AR smugly patting themselves on back, and heckling the other three sides to vote.

(Now some people say, "GM, you already have two forum games running, including one you started last week and haven't updated yet."  I tell those people that I am a high functioning adult capable of spinning multiple plates at once.  I even won a highly competitive engineering internship in Shenzhen, China that begins next month!  I'm so capable as a GM I wrote this entire game design in twenty minutes during my ongoing vacation.  If you're gonna hate, I ain't got time for you.)

Side A Thread
Side B Thread
Side C Thread
Side D Thread

Discord

Map:

Thanatos Russ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I am gonna join side A and post once then just vote for the first plan to make sure there's some semblance of momentum.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile

I have come to provide a large amount of content in the early parts of the game and then spend the rest of it alternating between complaining that nobody else is contributing and getting territorial and annoyed whenever anybody actually does want to write a design.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile

I will bandwagon aggressively and shitpost directly at anyone who questions my ideas or complains about my unsanctioned edits and suggestions.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile

I'll join A as a person who occasionally tries to get involved in fantasy Arms Races that regrettably never pan out.

Goddamnit.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile

I'll join A as a person who occasionally tries to get involved in fantasy Arms Races that regrettably never pan out.

Goddamnit.
Just join side B lol.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Goddamnit.
Just join side B lol.
That wasn't the goddamnit.
And I want my energy beans damnit.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'll join, complain about the designs but never offer designs of their own.
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile

I will join Side A
The links are Rickrollls
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 06:47:33 pm by Naturegirl1999 »

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I will join Side A
The links are Rickrollls
Yes that would approximately be what "goddamnit" was

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile

An April Fools joke, this was.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me