Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DORFicide  (Read 940 times)

Haytrid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
DORFicide
« on: April 01, 2020, 03:57:49 pm »

So in the last couple years my fort has been experiencing a lot of very ugly, very public deaths.  These deaths have revolved around well traveled and public places like temples and guilds.  At first I didn't think much of it when I found bodies in the cathedral of oozes, but hell they worship Zimesh, god of Death & Suicide, what did I expect.  Bodies also turned up in the temple of Unib Zealromanced, they worship wealth, depravity, and lust; all respectable ideals that I can get behind so I actually built that one without them requesting, but again, with tenets like that, no surprise of bodies.  But when bodies started turning up in the fishworkers guild, I knew something was starting to stink. . . well, besides the umm obvious.

I started to suspect that it may have something to do with the artifacts I have on display, some worth hundreds of thousands of gold, and my wanton abandon of accepting any petition placed before me from visitors whom wish to join my fort.

I began to have these suspicions when one of my artifacts seemed to turn up missing, the display case shattered, and a mysterious clue at the scene of the crime. . . . . A novel on "A Meditation On Kidnapping".  Had I found the "smoking kipper"?  A coincidence?  Well, probably but a really good one.

Attempting to get to the bottom of this nefarious plot, conspiracy?  I consulted my justice system.  Sadly I found it to be about as effective as modern day justice systems, a bunch of petty crimes for disorderly conduct, nothing more.

My questions are. . . . what's going on?  Are dorfs killing dorfs for these artifacts?  Are the temples whipping dorfs into a maniacal, religious frenzy?  Have the fishworkers been smoking too much of that pink algae?  And throughout all of this I can't help but ask the age old question, where are the authorities when you really need them!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 04:19:28 pm by Haytrid »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DORFicide
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 04:26:28 pm »

Dwarves have barroom brawls and accidentally kill each other. Dwarves who are way down on the self-control level (very few, it's mostly non-dwarven visitors) kill themselves accidentally with booze (or are helped on their way by a tavern keeper). Dwarves argue about their various values, get enraged, attack and sometimes accidentally kill each other.

When not praying, temples are used as social gathering spots so most of the above can occur. Libraries tend to be the most bloody.

Oh, and vampires of course. They kill folk too.

Alas, the authorities are almost completely lacking in law-enforcing AI right now. It's planned, might even happen in Villains part 2, but may end up waiting for the post-magic social and legal structures rewrite.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2020, 04:29:50 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 05:59:23 pm »

If there are no combat reports (or too much time has passed), the gamelog.txt may provide clues. If there was combat, the details will be there.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 09:11:21 pm »

If there are no combat reports (or too much time has passed), the gamelog.txt may provide clues. If there was combat, the details will be there.
Not sure if it's still happening, but barroom brawls were missing from reports for a while.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 05:23:27 am »

Don't do walls. At extreme, wherever you only can. Specially with bedrooms.

In Tavern "forget" assign the keeper. Make sure tavern is large like 13x13. Add some legendary dinner inside like 11x11, so any consumed food there will give Dwarves focus. Also it will bring eating Dwarves to tavern too. Then set up from an installed bag a 5x5 barracks. Make sure pairs of Dwarves train there constantly. This will train all your Dwarves into legendary in observation in mere 1-3 seasons. Even kids.

Then some Dwarf will notice something, as nothing will pass attention of your legendary in observation Dwarves. No ambush. No hidden spider. No Kobolt thief. No vampire. They will even learn doubling and novice military wrestling skills over years, which is not bad for civilians too.