Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Quickest Royal Room  (Read 1536 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Quickest Royal Room
« on: April 01, 2020, 10:03:24 pm »

I generated a world with an interesting undead filled reclaimable fortress. I've been banging my head against it for a couple days - failing each time in different ways, then restarting. One of the biggest hurdles is that the civ I'm playing is mostly dead. Sometime in the first year, someone is made a king/queen, and getting a royal room for them has been...frustrating. It happened in Spring once and in Autumn another time.

Low labor, since I have over half my dwarves training, and two failed attempts so far - king is upset to the point of lashing out because I also miss mandates (do we really need 12 chains a year when we have no fuel?)

Anyone have quick and dirty recommendations to make a royal set of rooms fast? Smoothing and engraving has been too slow and still results in amazing, but not quite royal rooms.

Trap components? Wall of levers?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
Re: Quickest Royal Room
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 11:42:14 pm »

Does the dwarf have bad thoughts about the missing rooms? I suspect there is a population threshold before a king becomes upset about the rooms, but am not sure. I had several previous forts with a king within the first year and I decided to ignore their rooms, and no bad thoughts until a couple of years later.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 12:05:02 am »

They got a few bad thoughts about not having a mausoleum and sleeping in a substandard room. I didn't check DT to see if they were really causing stress, but they appeared in their mind.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 01:22:36 am »

king is upset to the point of lashing out because I also miss mandates (do we really need 12 chains a year when we have no fuel?)

Do ropes work?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 02:19:48 am »

You could start a backup Fort somewhere else and retire it to work on the Reclaim. In my experience though the easiest way to satisfy early monarchs is to just dig out a massive room (big as it can be made while still small enough to be designated as a room), smooth it out or engrave it, stick their bed, throne, and table in it, and then leave them to it.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Dracko81

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2020, 02:28:31 am »

king is upset to the point of lashing out because I also miss mandates (do we really need 12 chains a year when we have no fuel?)

Do ropes work?
Basically this.  Make his rooms full of ropes and chains.

Otherwise use other items and materials they like.

Once you get an artefact use that too.

Dracko81

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2020, 02:38:45 am »

Sorry meant to also say that you should get that dwarf a whip or 2.

Sarmatian123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2020, 05:35:25 am »

I generated a world with an interesting undead filled reclaimable fortress. I've been banging my head against it for a couple days - failing each time in different ways, then restarting. One of the biggest hurdles is that the civ I'm playing is mostly dead. Sometime in the first year, someone is made a king/queen, and getting a royal room for them has been...frustrating. It happened in Spring once and in Autumn another time.

Low labor, since I have over half my dwarves training, and two failed attempts so far - king is upset to the point of lashing out because I also miss mandates (do we really need 12 chains a year when we have no fuel?)

Anyone have quick and dirty recommendations to make a royal set of rooms fast? Smoothing and engraving has been too slow and still results in amazing, but not quite royal rooms.

Trap components? Wall of levers?

A clear area of 5x5 will do for any royal room in any empty hall, you dug out/built.
All simple stuff from endless logs or stone try to make master quality. 120 worth at start.
All expensive stuff like metal or glass furniture (black bronze, clear glass cabinet go around 750 worth) will need fuel.
Try encrusting with gems, then metals, to rise their value.
The furniture, you define room from, doesn't count for some reason for the room's value. So do not over do it, unless you plan putting royal dinner together with royal office. :) I do not advise that though. It is significantly harder to increase value of royal room then from furniture alone.

Get their office and dinning room in one and same legendary dinning room, so king will get happy bonus from eating in legendary dinning hall.
Furniture will cost extra, but king requires quite few of those so... Get steel or gold from merchant maybe? :)

Get 2 alpacas, then go for yarn ropes.
Just do not dye the yarn and forbid all master quality yarn cloth, before making the ropes.
If ropes not master quality... atom-squash 'em.
Make quantum stockpile in king's room for master quality ropes. :D
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 05:44:42 am by Sarmatian123 »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2020, 09:35:02 am »

Make quantum stockpile in king's room for master quality ropes. :D

You need to build them or put them on a pedestal to count towards room value.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2020, 09:54:36 am »

Architecture; either screw pumps or supports/bridges.

Consider a simple wooden screw pump with all-around excellent everything:

Value of items is 5 (block) + 10*5 (pipe) + 66*5 (corkscrew) = 385

Then architecture multiplies it by 5 (carpenter skill) + 5 architecture skill = 10, for total of 3850

but first year, *2 value multiplier is much more typical - that means only 628 for the pump.

However, supports/bridges allow you to use native gold mechanisms, and pick the most valuable support.

Baseline -support- with -granite mechanism- is 260, but if you make support until you get doubly-excellent one you have one that beats the pump already. Then attach -native gold mechanism- to it to boost value by 10*30*30=9000. Royal threshold is 10k, so almost there already...

Garrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://Facebook.com
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2020, 03:21:19 am »

An artefact, any artefact, on a pedestal.
Is there any way to remove mud outdoors?
Yea, use dirt roads to clear off the mud.
Garrie.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2020, 05:20:03 am »

The issues with artifacts is that they take 20 dwarves to trigger. So 2 migrant waves or more, if unlucky. The one artifact I got was worth very little (4 digits) since it was a wooden ring. So, as far as "as fast as possible" is concerned in the conext of embarking with a king, they're not what I'm looking for. Thanks though, everyone.

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2020, 06:42:11 am »

Whats about weapon traps? Trap components are the most valuable items.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2020, 08:08:07 am »

I haven't had much problem with monarchs that don't get their room value up immediately. I dig out 11*11 for each room and put placeholder furniture in there, then gradually smooth/engrave the area piecemeal over a period of several years, adding placeholder furniture as I go. I suspect getting rid of the red marker is more important than getting rid of the yellow one. I've also removed mandates from all noble positions in my 0.47.04 fortress as I consider them to be completely incompatible with an active injustice system (unless you're trying to "use up" as many dorfs as possible to deal with overly large migrant waves, I guess).

For speed I'd probably try filling the area with weapon traps containing as many weapons as possible.

Moeteru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2020, 09:23:30 am »

Whats about weapon traps? Trap components are the most valuable items.
This.
I'd embark with a proficient (level 5) weaponsmith and some weapon-grade ores (I recommend tin+copper for bronze). You can rapidly create a big pile of serrated disks worth a couple of thousand Urists each. Install a few of those in a weapon trap and it should immediately make any room fit for a king.
For reference, it seems you need a total value of 10,000 Urists to raise a room to "Royal" quality. https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Room#Quality
Pages: [1] 2