Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Getting Dwarfs To Spar  (Read 3959 times)

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
  • It's all for the betterment of Dwarfkind - honest!
    • View Profile
Re: Getting Dwarfs To Spar
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2021, 05:10:03 am »

Sorry for the necro, I was trying to find some information about sparring skill limits and this was the closest I could find.

I'm doing the "citizen militia" thing in my current fortress and it appears some dwarves will spar with no weapon or fighting skills. The citizens have been organized into ten-dwarf squads to train three months per year and have been issued some light but decent uniforms. Most of them have no combat skills whatsoever except some levels in Observation. Still I keep seeing some pairs doing short sparring sessions right after they've been recruited.

I don't know what's causing this. Is it the scheduling? The gear? Would Observation be counted as a combat skill in these situations? Most of them are at least Competent observers.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 05:14:01 am by Staalo »
Kasmko Taldequihu, Human Criminal corrupted zombie is visiting.
Mong Todsporro, Human Criminal death zombie is visiting.

Uhhh... welcome?

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2021, 12:43:13 pm »

I'm not sure what do you mean by sparring limits, but a few years ago it was determined that the condition for sparring was having at least three levels of Fighter.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2021, 02:35:06 pm »

That's what I meant; in this fort I'm seeing fresh troops sparring with zero levels in Fighter, or in any relevant combat skill.
I just drafted few more part-time citizen squads and already a pair of completely green recruits are locked in a (very ineffective) sparring session. At the moment they're both Dabbling in their combat skills and Competent in Observation.

Uhhh... welcome?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2021, 09:56:42 pm »

A Sparring Demonstration might have different requirements than Sparring, are the other dwarfs in the squad doing "lead/watch sparring demonstration"? If yes, does the leading dwarf have skills?
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Staalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2021, 05:15:00 am »

A Sparring Demonstration might have different requirements than Sparring, are the other dwarfs in the squad doing "lead/watch sparring demonstration"? If yes, does the leading dwarf have skills?
No, they're actually sparring, as seen in combat logs:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is one of the recruits in question:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Most of the citizen militia members have skill levels similar to Tulon here. Or used to have, a game year has passed meanwhile and they have progressed quite a bit through training and sporadic sparring.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 05:18:22 am by Staalo »

Uhhh... welcome?
Pages: 1 [2]