Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Does strength scale with creature size?  (Read 502 times)

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Does strength scale with creature size?
« on: April 03, 2020, 04:46:28 pm »

Something I've just noticed - most creature raws don't contain any PHYS_ATT_RANGE token, which according to the wiki means they use the default rage (randomized between 200 and 2000). 

Does that mean all creatures (other than the sentients in creature_standard.txt) have the same strength, or does strength get scaled by size?

(I suppose this would explain how keas can steal anvils).
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Does strength scale with creature size?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2020, 07:00:36 pm »

Something I've just noticed - most creature raws don't contain any PHYS_ATT_RANGE token, which according to the wiki means they use the default rage (randomized between 200 and 2000). 

Does that mean all creatures (other than the sentients in creature_standard.txt) have the same strength, or does strength get scaled by size?

(I suppose this would explain how keas can steal anvils).
If a Dwarf has this then, considering they can happily carry a giant sperm whale in a lead cage (slowly), no, it probably doesn't explain the kea/anvil problem.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2020, 10:01:26 pm »

Heavier items just cause slower movement, there doesn't appear to be a point where items are too heavy.

If one creature is twice as heavy as the other, and they have the same strength ratings, the heavier creature will hit about twice as hard in combat. I do not know if applies to carrying objects, but suspect it does. If the strength rating is used as a measure of how strong the creature is in relation to its body weight, then it suggests something about the creature's ability to move weight that is not a part of its body.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 02:28:24 am »

Heavier items just cause slower movement, there doesn't appear to be a point where items are too heavy.

If one creature is twice as heavy as the other, and they have the same strength ratings, the heavier creature will hit about twice as hard in combat. I do not know if applies to carrying objects, but suspect it does. If the strength rating is used as a measure of how strong the creature is in relation to its body weight, then it suggests something about the creature's ability to move weight that is not a part of its body.
Ogres are able to move normally while wearing ogre sized clothes, but dorfs struggle to hauls such garbage for disposal. Gremlins are too weak to move at anything but a crawl when carrying shields (and hauling most things). Now, I haven't checked the strength ratings for either of those, but it suggests that carrying capacity is based on both creature size and the strength rating.