Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13

Author Topic: Co-op Dwarfmode (online simultaneous multiplayer)  (Read 117393 times)

white-rabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Co-op Dwarfmode (online simultaneous multiplayer)
« Reply #105 on: May 10, 2020, 12:52:23 pm »

Some of the features you requested and bugs you've reported have already been fixed/implemented, there's just been some trouble getting the windows build working for version 2.

Also, I noticed all the tilesets in the /hack/www/art/ folder are 256x256, so I resized the tileset I was trying to make work to that, and it works. No more garbled mess. It's a bit less clear than it had been, but I can make it out now.

Arbitrary tileset size is now possible (thanks to BenLubar and algane on GitHub).

The following things also work in V2:

Reports screen (r), cannot navigate or view individual reports.
Follow (v>f), does not close units screen or follow dwarf.

Building (not engraving) track (b>C>T)
Uniform creation - selecting Legs, Materials, Helmets, etc, resets back to Armor (A) menu.

Ability to lock or unlock "cycle zoom" to follow other clients (so when they move their view while you're looking at them with it locked, yours moves too)

Your other suggestions are all really good. I'll try to implement/fix all those for version 3.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 12:38:40 pm by white-rabbit »

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #106 on: May 10, 2020, 03:16:08 pm »

My Reaction https://imgflip.com/i/40wdh5

I am really looking forward to the next version and one for 47

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 11, 2020, 06:24:31 am »

Some of the features you requested and bugs you've reported have already been fixed/implemented, there's just been some trouble getting the windows build working for version 2.

Your other suggestions are all really good. I'll try to implement/fix all those for version 3.
Awesome! Looking forward to the windows build of V2 being released. How easy will upgrading be?

And no rush, if you can't fit the suggestions, you shouldn't worry too much over them.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

dumbnoob

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 11, 2020, 08:23:18 pm »

So I'm having an issue I didn't see discussed in the thread.  I've downloaded all the standard stuff from the top post.  Then I copied over my save directory from an old fortress on 44.05r2.  Then I start up, and enter my fort with the regular menu.  No problem so far.

Then I open a Chrome window and connect to the local host.  It works, and I get whatever tileset I added to the init file.  But it doesn't show any menus.  In the main game, (Win64) pressing tab will cycle through showing menus, a mini-map, or a mini-map and a menu.  The tab key on Chrome doesn't register at all for my connection.

The commands all work, and I can scroll around and all that.  But I can't see any menus ever.  So... that kind of makes my idea of playing DF with a bunch of noob friends even greener than myself a bit of a non-starter.  I combed through the keyboard bindings, but couldn't find anything to cycle through the menu display.

Any ideas?  TIA.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 12, 2020, 04:23:08 pm »

So, that's an error I did run into. The tileset isn't actually in init, disable graphics in init. Open "df/hack/www/config.js", that's where you want to type the tileset (as both tiles and text); as discussed above, you also want to put the tileset into "df/hack/www/art/" with the magenta color replaced by transparency, and unless you're using version 2 which I don't think is properly released yet, it will need to be 256x256px (once version 2 is released, that restriction will be removed).

My theory is turning on init graphics (thus, in the DF window, rather than the browser) overrides the tiles with your Init, but doesn't put anything into the text field, thus the vanishing of any menus.
The Cyan Menace

white-rabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 13, 2020, 02:06:15 am »

Then I open a Chrome window and connect to the local host.  It works, and I get whatever tileset I added to the init file.  But it doesn't show any menus.  In the main game, (Win64) pressing tab will cycle through showing menus, a mini-map, or a mini-map and a menu.  The tab key on Chrome doesn't register at all for my connection.

I think CHANGETAB is the key that you want to remap in data/init/interface.txt. You could set it to a different key, like "f", if tab is giving you problems. You can also try using Firefox. I'm not sure exactly what the problem is though.

dumbnoob

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 13, 2020, 01:40:28 pm »

So I figured out the menu display issue.  My native screen was too wide.  When I narrowed it up, it brought in the right side of the screen on the browser window.  I dialed it in by adjusting the witch of the native screen, so it fits perfectly now.  Now I need to make sure the vertical size is right.

vallode

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 13, 2020, 02:13:00 pm »

Been working really well for us, though the most disheartening thing is we often crash (pressing backslash doesn't do anything in that scenario)... we have to save every 5 minutes or so in order to make sure we don't lose too much gameplay as a crash happens once every 10-15 minutes at least.

Is there anywhere useful I can look in the event of a crash to provide logs and hopefully try to narrow down why it is happening? I've looked into stderr and it seems mostly empty, dfhack doesn't help much either.

NikoKun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 16, 2020, 09:15:11 am »

It's crazy impressive that someone figured this out! And I'm REALLY happy this works with version 44.12, that's the best stable version for now. So thanks for that!
I'm probably gonna keep using 44, until Toady rebalances the new features, and fleshes them out a bit more, especially since right now there's a whole bunch of new features in 47 that feel half-finished.
Tho I can't wait to see some multiplayer lets-plays using this, just wish I had more friends to try out stuff like this with.

white-rabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 16, 2020, 09:34:12 pm »

Been working really well for us, though the most disheartening thing is we often crash (pressing backslash doesn't do anything in that scenario)... we have to save every 5 minutes or so in order to make sure we don't lose too much gameplay as a crash happens once every 10-15 minutes at least.

Is there anywhere useful I can look in the event of a crash to provide logs and hopefully try to narrow down why it is happening? I've looked into stderr and it seems mostly empty, dfhack doesn't help much either.

That's unfortunate. Other than those two places, there isn't really anywhere else to look in the event of a crash, unless you're willing to run the game under gdb and print a backtrace when it crashes. I've just now gone and wrapped the main update in a try/catch which should help with error reporting in the future -- starting with the next version release though, of course.

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 17, 2020, 06:20:42 am »

That's unfortunate. Other than those two places, there isn't really anywhere else to look in the event of a crash, unless you're willing to run the game under gdb and print a backtrace when it crashes. I've just now gone and wrapped the main update in a try/catch which should help with error reporting in the future -- starting with the next version release though, of course.

On windows you can save dump file that helps debugging. Here's one place that says how: linkidy link. We could (should?) add minidump handler to dfhack too.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 17, 2020, 12:16:19 pm »

First time actually downloading something off github using git and trying to install it, because I can't wait for the second official release.

Would the current build work with 47.04, or is it still limited?

Know what, I'll try it and see if it crashes.

Edit: Apparently I don't know enough to get it to "generate MSVC solution file(s)", so I guess I have to wait after all.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 12:37:40 pm by flabort »
The Cyan Menace

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 17, 2020, 01:13:56 pm »

Running gdb on Windows requires installing Cygwin (or maybe just MinGW?) and doesn't work all that well, in my experience. For debugging on Windows, I'd recommend WinDbg, even though it doesn't have as many features as gdb. If you are experiencing frequent crashes, try running the process through WinDbg (Ctrl+E, select the executable), and if it crashes, you can run ".dump /ma <filename>" to produce a crash dump at <filename>, which you can then email to the developer.

@flabort: Did you run "./generate-MSVC-all.bat" before "./install-release.bat"? Also I've found you may need to adjust some filenames and options in those scripts to get it to compile.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 01:15:35 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 17, 2020, 04:48:17 pm »

@flabort: Did you run "./generate-MSVC-all.bat" before "./install-release.bat"? Also I've found you may need to adjust some filenames and options in those scripts to get it to compile.
generate-MSVC-all.bat is the file that doesn't appear to work.
The Cyan Menace

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 17, 2020, 05:26:46 pm »

Ah, I see. You may need to edit that file, perhaps in particular to edit the -G and -T options to cmake. What error message are you getting?

EDIT: Also, what version of Visual Studio do you have installed? You need either the 2015 or 2017 toolchain installed.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 05:31:24 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13