Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Author Topic: Co-op Dwarfmode (online simultaneous multiplayer)  (Read 115903 times)

white-rabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Co-op Dwarfmode (online simultaneous multiplayer)
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2020, 10:12:58 pm »

What are the limits of what players can do without stepping on each other's toes?

I can't tell if opening the nobles menu is causing the game to pause or not.

The game does not pause when a menu is opened. It only pauses when someone presses the pause button or when the game pauses on its own. So far this mostly only causes problems in the view unit menu. (Trying to view Urist on his way from the caverns to the taverns is somewhat tricky. I'll have to special case this perhaps.) Other than that, so long as the players all have a good line of communication, like Discord, toe-stepping has been pretty minimal in my experience.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2020, 02:38:07 am »

What happens if, for example, one player deconstructs a workshop while the other is in the Profile menu of that workshop? Is there a risk of game crashing or corrupting?

I suspect all sorts of similar scenarios need testing with unpaused menus.

A long term suggestion:
It would be neat if there could be restrictions on what each player can do. Like maybe each player is limited to a certain part of the embark, or to certain dwarves/squads. With some DFHackery and burrows, I bet we could have players running two hostile factions.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 02:57:00 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2020, 05:11:37 am »

Woah this is cool! Gotta try thing out, seems like a perfect opportunity for social interaction with all the corona shutdowns going on.

The coolest thing I can imagine, that this is taking a step towards, is having multiple forts running simultaneously in one world, being able to interact with each other. I don’t know how the game treats the player forts though, whether the surrounding world would even accept two ”player forts”, or if the rest of the game mostly handles the player fort like a normal site, except for a few special events (e.g. the monarch suddenly moving there).

Adventurer mode seems very tricky, it practically pauses after each player action, after all. To make it workable, the turn-based system would need to be turned off and be replaced with something that runs in ”real-time”. Like any modern MMORPG I suppose.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2020, 05:15:30 am »

Woah this is cool! Gotta try thing out, seems like a perfect opportunity for social interaction with all the corona shutdowns going on.

The coolest thing I can imagine, that this is taking a step towards, is having multiple forts running simultaneously in one world, being able to interact with each other. I don’t know how the game treats the player forts though, whether the surrounding world would even accept two ”player forts”, or if the rest of the game mostly handles the player fort like a normal site, except for a few special events (e.g. the monarch suddenly moving there).

Adventurer mode seems very tricky, it practically pauses after each player action, after all. To make it workable, the turn-based system would need to be turned off and be replaced with something that runs in ”real-time”. Like any modern MMORPG I suppose.
Would be a completely unfun experience to be forced to play adventurer at fortress speed. A day lasts, what, 30 seconds or so? Maybe less?

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2020, 06:40:52 am »

Would be a completely unfun experience to be forced to play adventurer at fortress speed. A day lasts, what, 30 seconds or so? Maybe less?
It wouldn’t have to be at fortress speed, the skipping forwards in time just wouldn’t be controlled by the player(s) but a clock running at adventurer speed. Remember, adventurer mode is not only ”turn-based”, but has more ticks/day than fortress mode.
The issue is the controls, to not have the players being massacred while they are inputting detailed attacks, and syncing it up well so e.g. walking doesn’t have the wonkiness of weird delays.

white-rabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2020, 01:07:00 pm »

Things are coming along nicely. Lethosar gave me some great advice on IRC which helped me fix the biggest problems I had. Now the gameplay so far seems very stable, but I would suggest saving frequently regardless. Almost everything works perfectly, but there are a handful of menus which are completely broken. Some goblins showed up in playtesting, so fixing the squad menu is the next task. The ability to hook up levers to things is also broken, and that would be quite helpful right now too.

seems like a perfect opportunity for social interaction with all the corona shutdowns going on.

I hope so. :)

It wouldn’t have to be at fortress speed, the skipping forwards in time just wouldn’t be controlled by the player(s) but a clock running at adventurer speed. Remember, adventurer mode is not only ”turn-based”, but has more ticks/day than fortress mode.
The issue is the controls, to not have the players being massacred while they are inputting detailed attacks, and syncing it up well so e.g. walking doesn’t have the wonkiness of weird delays.

Furthermore, from a technical standpoint, I'm fundamentally not sure how to even trick the game into having different players control different characters. So there are indeed a lot of issues. Making adventurer mode work well would require both a breakthrough in the the technical part (which seems plausible) and some creative thinking on how to adapt the turn-based gameplay for multiplayer while being restrained to what is a viable option technically. It's not unrealistic -- however, the reason I'm working on DF mode is because I figured out an easy way to make it work from a technical standpoint.

What happens if, for example, one player deconstructs a workshop while the other is in the Profile menu of that workshop? Is there a risk of game crashing or corrupting?

I suspect all sorts of similar scenarios need testing with unpaused menus.

What will happen instead here is that the player in the profile menu will suddenly get booted out. (Actually, it's possible they might end up in the profile menu of a different nearby workshop -- that's bad, and I should fix it, but at least it's not a gamestopping bug.) With what I'm doing, this type of scenario isn't possible to cause a crash. (Maybe I will soon regret these words.) That's not to say that there aren't scenarios which could cause a crash. So far, the only thing that has caused a crash was when the outpost liason came to visit and the game wasn't sure how to display the meeting screen to all three players -- that's been fixed now, although unlike any other screen, the meeting screen requires the players to coordinate. Hopefully I can come up with a better solution in the future for that particular screen.

A long term suggestion:
It would be neat if there could be restrictions on what each player can do. Like maybe each player is limited to a certain part of the embark, or to certain dwarves/squads. With some DFHackery and burrows, I bet we could have players running two hostile factions.

Yes, these ideas are good for after the basic implementation is working more solidly. The code so far is not too complicated, so it should hopefully be quite adaptable by anyone who wants to build a mod ontop of it. Regarding PvP specifically, I'm sceptical because I suspect there is a lot to untangle -- is it possible to get a squad from one side to target a squad from the other? Can we prevent dwarves from becoming friends with each other across the gap? In comparison, co-op seems like a natural extension, at least from the technical side of things.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 01:31:41 pm by white-rabbit »

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2020, 12:02:09 am »

<...>

Yes, these ideas are good for after the basic implementation is working more solidly. The code so far is not too complicated, so it should hopefully be quite adaptable by anyone who wants to build a mod ontop of it. Regarding PvP specifically, I'm sceptical because I suspect there is a lot to untangle -- is it possible to get a squad from one side to target a squad from the other? Can we prevent dwarves from becoming friends with each other across the gap? In comparison, co-op seems like a natural extension, at least from the technical side of things.

They wont become friends if they do not mingle (unless they are already friends). Also there is a script (something along the lines of de-escalate ) which could work as inspiration. However i image it would quickly become a loyalty cascade as they would get flagged as fighting against same civ and then those who try to stop it too etc...

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2020, 02:44:12 am »

However i image it would quickly become a loyalty cascade as they would get flagged as fighting against same civ and then those who try to stop it too etc...

I wonder if there are any side effects to changing a fort dwarf's civ.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 02:47:09 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

Nopenope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2020, 09:28:53 am »

This is really cool, also nice to see webfort is seeing some love. Do you intend to host any public servers for playtesting?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2020, 11:48:39 am »

Is two simultaneous players the max right now, or are you just testing with two?

white-rabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2020, 12:24:51 pm »

Do you intend to host any public servers for playtesting?

Not presently.

Is two simultaneous players the max right now, or are you just testing with two?

I'm testing it with three. I don't know how many players this system could handle but I don't see any reason to program in a particular limit.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 01:02:12 pm by white-rabbit »

LordBalkan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2020, 07:23:04 am »

Posting to play!
I know its probaly going to be far future before we can put our hands on, but I'm fine.

Nopenope

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2020, 09:17:23 pm »

Is this going to be compatible with .47 alpha builds of dfhack?

white-rabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2020, 04:39:35 pm »

First release is out!

Is this going to be compatible with .47 alpha builds of dfhack?

Not yet. I just got the release working for the stable 0.44 build, only to find that it's out of date as of a few hours ago.  :'(
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 04:56:27 pm by white-rabbit »

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2020, 06:25:33 pm »

Hip Hip Horray!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13