Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13

Author Topic: Co-op Dwarfmode (online simultaneous multiplayer)  (Read 117375 times)

TheRamblingLank

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Co-op Dwarfmode (online simultaneous multiplayer)
« Reply #165 on: June 18, 2020, 08:17:01 am »

Really awesome work on this! After some fiddling I have it working on Windows 10 (64-bit).

I had the same issues as others with the failed connection, however I've got it to work using the 32-bit versions of the software, and not using Chromium Edge. I think the browser was my main issue, should have been obvious when I read that Chrome wasn't compatible. So my advice to people struggling is 32-bit versions, connect using Firefox.

We've had to stop using it though due to random crashes, I couldn't see any rhyme or reason to them unfortunately, so I'll have another go with the 64-bit versions.

Props to white-rabbit for the great work though.

[Edit]
Have set up the 64-bit version, first crash came when I tried to pause the game :/
[Edit the edit]
Should have read the first post again!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 09:35:14 am by TheRamblingLank »

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
  • The groboclones are looking for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 05, 2020, 03:22:34 pm »

On the server when I open a page in localhost it works but if I put the server own local ip i have a "Connection Error. Click to retry"
I tried to change the ports but that didn't solve the problem, don't know if it's a build problem because when I change the port of staticport in the file dfplex.txt the localhost no longer works on the new port (and does not work on port 8000 logically).
u in advance for your help

Did you check your firewall?

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
  • The groboclones are looking for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 05, 2020, 03:30:50 pm »

DFPlex is a plugin for DFHack which introduces simultaneous, real-time online co-op to fortress mode: each player has their own independent view, cursor, menus, etc. so nobody has to wrestle for control. It's a fork of webfort, so players join just by connecting from their web browser.

Thanks for this plug-in! I tried it with a friend and we were both amazed. The potential is huge.

I had no problem with the networking side and I tested loopback, local and remote connections (including another person connecting).

The two issues I ran into were:

1. Random crashes. The game would exit randomly, after a while. This was using the current pre-built binary
2. Build failures. I could not get the program to build

Ubuntu 64-bit
DF 47.04
DFHack 0.47.04-r1

Szlugu

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 13, 2020, 05:52:33 am »

When I'm connecting to the server i have only "Connection error".
In previous version i had link to the server in dfhack, in this i have not.
Previous version was working well. :'(

EDIT: Nevermind I fixed it. Chrome is retarded  ;D
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 05:59:29 am by Szlugu »

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 13, 2020, 09:38:21 am »

EDIT: Nevermind I fixed it.
Could you explain how you fixed it? That could be helpful information to other people who have had similar issues.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

wooks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 11, 2020, 03:21:31 pm »

Has anyone gotten this working on Win10 over the internet? I can't seem to get that working.

Works fine on my localhost, but when connected over the internet it only shows this:

https://i.imgur.com/vO51lsH.png

I got it working. It was a router issue.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 05:21:35 pm by wooks »
In a game like Dwarf Fortress, going to the wiki being cheating is like saying bringing a parachute is cheating for skydiving.
"Has it been 4 days? Better check if my penis is still there again."

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 11, 2020, 07:30:50 pm »

Posting to watch... very closely with interest.

Yes, these ideas are good for after the basic implementation is working more solidly. The code so far is not too complicated, so it should hopefully be quite adaptable by anyone who wants to build a mod ontop of it. Regarding PvP specifically, I'm sceptical because I suspect there is a lot to untangle -- is it possible to get a squad from one side to target a squad from the other? Can we prevent dwarves from becoming friends with each other across the gap? In comparison, co-op seems like a natural extension, at least from the technical side of things.

Also better late than never, fundamentally because they're army-controllers it should work exactly the same, though there's nothing for sure that the eventual result of watching your dwarves leave the fortress will definitely translate into them arriving intact to siege the player, and that they don't just end up being a fully equipped migrant wave in the confusion of what 'raid' means when not handled by the AI.

If the Adams brothers ever back to support issues around this multiplayer specific problems of interactability or even to officially support a standardized multiplayer mode in the future it'd probably be good to have some kind of unique tag used on the mantis tracker.

For all we know if the technical limitation of having two geographically distinct forts is possible, possibly even in different dwarven civilizations as to provoke different cultural conflict (via tab switching civ, choice being dependent on what modifications are present if you wanted to grease up your goblin mass army skills against a dwarf player) you could set up army controllers to go places, or when implemented intrigue people to arrive, steal & coerce (like visitors do at the moment).

Any of you folks ever play the original startopia PC game? Seeing this close together multiplayer is bringing all sorts of old RTS nostalgia back to me of a couple of people living virtually on-top of each other occasionally struggling over workers and space to run efficiently.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 07:45:19 pm by FantasticDorf »

wooks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 11, 2020, 09:55:40 pm »

I seem to be experiencing frequent crashes, even when only connecting as localhost.

edit 2: nope seems to crash randomly. It might be helpful if the messages it posted to the dfhack console were saved to a file somewhere.

the crash only seems to happen if the game is not paused. The crash also doesn't seem to happen when I'm in a menu and never happens in embark screens, but it does when I'm on dwarfmode/Default. Thats about as far as I've tracked it down.

The crash appears on both x64 and x32
« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 04:26:26 am by wooks »
In a game like Dwarf Fortress, going to the wiki being cheating is like saying bringing a parachute is cheating for skydiving.

wooks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 12, 2020, 03:13:35 pm »

So, seems like you can get it working semi-reliably (sometimes). Aside from stability improvements there's only a few things that I think would really make this top notch.

1) Having the window size not be tied to the size of the game running on the host machine. It just doesn't feel intuitive and prevents people using different size screens very well. (a current work around is to change the default launch window size in DF's init file, but the problem persists)
2) Whitelist functionality along with  banlist
3) A way to save/load from the browser.
4) If possible a way to relaunch the game if it crashes from the browser. Though I can see this being difficult.

5) If you're a god among men, either a way to use the dfhack improved labor menu, or a webclient for using dwarf therapist that can just be opened in another tab.
Seems you can use the dfhack plugin 'manipulator' which provides a therpist-like interface inside the units menu. Requires disabling multiplex however. I suspect that it could work while multiplexed, but that the plex plugin doesn't recognize it as a menu, and doesn't know how to handle the key presses.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 03:36:56 pm by wooks »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 13, 2020, 06:14:48 pm »

4) If possible a way to relaunch the game if it crashes from the browser. Though I can see this being difficult.

I think I figured out a solution for Windows. Create a text file containing the following, and save it as restart.bat in your DF directory:
Code: (restart.bat) [Select]
:restart
start /wait cmd /c "Dwarf Fortress.exe"
goto restart

Open restart.bat instead of Dwarf Fortress.exe on the server. This restarts DF any time it closes, until the restart.bat command prompt window is closed. I think you'll have to wait until the opening animation finishes, because IIRC trying to skip it via browser causes the game to freeze.

I'm sure you can do something similar with a shell script on Linux and Mac.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 06:25:21 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

wooks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 14, 2020, 03:24:01 pm »

I think I figured out a solution for Windows. Create a text file containing the following, and save it as restart.bat in your DF directory:
Code: (restart.bat) [Select]
:restart
start /wait cmd /c "Dwarf Fortress.exe"
goto restart

Open restart.bat instead of Dwarf Fortress.exe on the server. This restarts DF any time it closes, until the restart.bat command prompt window is closed. I think you'll have to wait until the opening animation finishes, because IIRC trying to skip it via browser causes the game to freeze.

I'm sure you can do something similar with a shell script on Linux and Mac.

Works like a charm I dunno why I didn't think of a batch file. Nice job.

Tulvik

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: September 21, 2020, 06:12:26 pm »

I'm having connection problems, it wont let me connect locally or online. I port forwarded both default ports 8000 and 1234 TDP/UDP and using localhost:8000 and 192.168.1.143:8000 on Microsoft edge and Chrome with no luck. The post says you will see the port on DFHack when you launch DF but I only saw the port appear when I launched it for the first time and it doesnt show up anymore. I also downloaded everything 64 bit.

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: September 28, 2020, 12:16:13 pm »

I'm having connection problems, it wont let me connect locally or online. I port forwarded both default ports 8000 and 1234 TDP/UDP and using localhost:8000 and 192.168.1.143:8000 on Microsoft edge and Chrome with no luck. The post says you will see the port on DFHack when you launch DF but I only saw the port appear when I launched it for the first time and it doesnt show up anymore. I also downloaded everything 64 bit.
Chrome has issues. Some folks have gotten around it. See what happens if you use a different browser.

ttlovepie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 14, 2020, 04:06:15 pm »

Can this be ran with a lazy newb pack like PeridexisErrant's Starter Pack? If so, how would I go about installing it?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13