Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13

Author Topic: Co-op Dwarfmode (online simultaneous multiplayer)  (Read 117544 times)

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
Re: Co-op Dwarfmode (online simultaneous multiplayer)
« Reply #90 on: May 05, 2020, 06:20:28 pm »

Oh hey flabort!

I think it would be fun to assign four players each 1/4 of the total dwarves once you get to a certain number, and then have each player set up a base in each corner. They couldn't fight against each other, but they could see how long each bastion lasts!
Yeah, that could be fun. Use profession names to indicate which dwarf belongs to who, and they could be nicknamed, and they could use burrows to divide the map up. Divvy up migrants and argue over who gets which, and...

What about births? Would the child automatically go to the same section as the parent? Would that unbalance the populations? Would that matter?

Even cutting the map in half for 2P would be interesting.

Edit: Oh, yeah, forgot to mention, the reports screen is unusable for me. I get kicked back to the first entry trying to move the cursor down, and kicked back to the list if I try to view a specific entry.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 06:22:34 pm by flabort »
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 05, 2020, 06:33:00 pm »

I think restricting access to layers is a great idea, if each player gets exactly one layer. Perhaps they could later petition for a new layer down the line once theirs get decently filled up. I think it'd be amazing if the fortress was divided into a hundred little fiefdoms that nonetheless have to work together to survive. Oh, and the fortress would gradually descend into the underground as more people signed up and claimed layers further and further down. So there'll be an enforced sort of progression downwards, too.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 05, 2020, 06:35:57 pm »

They couldn't fight against each other, but they could see how long each bastion lasts!

That's what minecart shotguns and FTW devices are for.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 05, 2020, 06:40:10 pm »

Someone on the reddit announcement of this is salty for some reason.
Why be salty over an unnofficial multiplayer mod?
It's not like Toady was wasting his time with multiplayer or anything.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #94 on: May 05, 2020, 07:54:41 pm »

Probably just a troll looking for clout/attention. That or they really really REALLY think a single player game should stay single player? Who knows with some people

pikachu17

• Bay Watcher
  • PADORU PADORU
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 05, 2020, 08:01:23 pm »

Probably just a troll looking for clout/attention. That or they really really REALLY think a single player game should stay single player? Who knows with some people
Well, if they wanted attention, they got it. They're on the OP now.
Sigtext!
dwarf 4tress from scratch
The Pikachu revolution!
Thank you NatureGirl19999 for the avatar switcher at http://signavatar.com

A warforged bard named Gender appears and says"Hello. I am a social construct."

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #96 on: May 05, 2020, 08:32:07 pm »

That is the quote? lol I mean there is merit in his comment, however DF is not one of the games that it falls under.
Spoiler: Off Railed Rant (click to show/hide)
. Fortress mode for sure is a very enjoyable experience with MP, myself I like to build and design things, and manage the little goofy crap, my brother however enjoys the military side, and together I don't have to worry about training dwarves because my brother is on it, and he doesn't have to worry about food, etc cause I'm doing that.

white-rabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 06, 2020, 12:45:49 am »

Enough talk about that user, please. I like the quote as a tagline (I think it exactly captures the spirit of the project), and I think it's good-natured humour -- but if it causes a stir or any trouble for that user I'll have to remove it.

I think restricting access to layers is a great idea, if each player gets exactly one layer. Perhaps they could later petition for a new layer down the line once theirs get decently filled up. I think it'd be amazing if the fortress was divided into a hundred little fiefdoms that nonetheless have to work together to survive. Oh, and the fortress would gradually descend into the underground as more people signed up and claimed layers further and further down. So there'll be an enforced sort of progression downwards, too.

Yeah, I agree completely. Seems like a great idea. I added some lua bindings to make this possible now, here's a lua script demonstrating locking everyone to one particular z level. Another file can be added to map usernames to z levels. The username-to-z-level mapping will have to be done manually (as I don't see how this could be sensibly automated).
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 12:56:39 am by white-rabbit »

Severedicks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 06, 2020, 12:10:03 pm »

I'm curious to know why it's not compatible with dfhack plugins - I mean, can the host at least run their plugins even though the guests don't have access to it?

Also, does this have any resemblance to Warmist attempt to recreate adventure-mode within fortress mode?

white-rabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 06, 2020, 01:30:08 pm »

I'm curious to know why it's not compatible with dfhack plugins - I mean, can the host at least run their plugins even though the guests don't have access to it?

Every frame, the plugin goes through each user, restores each of their UI state (e.g., are they in the designations menu?), and applies any new keys they've pressed. It expects to be able to restore UI state just by applying a sequence of commands (the commands in data/init/interface.txt). Some plugins introduce UI state and screens which cannot be accessed using just those keys. Those plugins are all unlikely to work.

Some plugins may be coded in such a way that they expect there to be exactly one user and one camera position.

You're welcome to experiment and report any plugins which do work -- I'll list any known-to-be-compatible plugins in the OP. However, I've seen some plugins which cause the client to get stuck, unable to exit the screen, so it could be risky. (Refreshing the browser works in that case, though.) Plugins which don't introduce new UI elements are more likely to work. I've seen some plugin-introduced UI elements that do work. It's possible that in the future some currently incompatible plugins can be made to be compatible. If there are any plugins which get a lot of requests, I will prioritize those.

Also, does this have any resemblance to Warmist attempt to recreate adventure-mode within fortress mode?

I don't think so. It's not possible to control individual dwarves with dfplex because it's not possible to do so in vanilla dwarf fortress. This plugin does not introduce any new elements that are not in the original dwarf fortress except for the ability to type chat messages. Perhaps Warmist's plugin can be combined with this one to allow some users to control dwarves and others to play the game normally? They'd have to serve on different ports though. I would be surprised if the two plugins were compatible out of the box, but it's not inconceivable.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 01:33:16 pm by white-rabbit »

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 06, 2020, 05:47:49 pm »

Well, on the off chance Putnam ever (EVER) decides to return to the fortbent project (which is a huge ask, and a big if), and these two projects ever happen to be compatible with the same DF projects, I will try to combine them. :P Knowing that they will likely fail, as hivebent has a massive amount of dfhack scripting afaik.

On a more serious note, how does one add new tilesets? I tried to plug one in by adding it in /hack/www/art/, and tried both putting it into config, and when that failed, tried putting it in ?tiles=, but in either case all I got was a staticky garbled mess. Does it strictly need to be a png, or a specific size, or something?
The Cyan Menace

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 06, 2020, 06:36:38 pm »

On a more serious note, how does one add new tilesets? I tried to plug one in by adding it in /hack/www/art/, and tried both putting it into config, and when that failed, tried putting it in ?tiles=, but in either case all I got was a staticky garbled mess. Does it strictly need to be a png, or a specific size, or something?

It needs to be a png with the magenta replaced with transparency.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Severedicks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 07, 2020, 12:42:30 am »

Thanks for the detailed write-up. So if I understand well, things like set-and-forget tweaks would work, but advanced UI modifications like manipulator would fail?

Also, would it be possible to render different tilesets depending on the client?

white-rabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 07, 2020, 01:19:52 am »

Well, on the off chance Putnam ever (EVER) decides to return to the fortbent project (which is a huge ask, and a big if), and these two projects ever happen to be compatible with the same DF projects, I will try to combine them. :P Knowing that they will likely fail, as hivebent has a massive amount of dfhack scripting afaik.

Is this an attempt to recreate the true SBURB experience in dwarf fortress? :o

Thanks for the detailed write-up. So if I understand well, things like set-and-forget tweaks would work, but advanced UI modifications like manipulator would fail?

One-off commands are very likely to work. I think manipulator partially works, last I checked. At least, it opened and I could scroll.

Also, would it be possible to render different tilesets depending on the client?

It already is possible if the client enters something into their URL. It's a temporary solution. See this explanation by the authors of webfort. Not all of those parameters are still valid.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 09, 2020, 02:47:02 pm »

I like the "temporary solution", I was just experimenting with it today.

Also, I noticed all the tilesets in the /hack/www/art/ folder are 256x256, so I resized the tileset I was trying to make work to that, and it works. No more garbled mess. It's a bit less clear than it had been, but I can make it out now.

So things that still don't work:
Reports screen (r), cannot navigate or view individual reports.
Follow (v>f), does not close units screen or follow dwarf.
Help (?) menu doesn't even open
Building (not engraving) track (b>C>T)
Uniform creation - selecting Legs, Materials, Helmets, etc, resets back to Armor (A) menu.
Assigning Hotkeys (H>F1,F2,F3, etc)

Things I'd like to see:
Remember where menu was moved (Tab) per connection
Ability to lock or unlock "cycle zoom" to follow other clients (so when they move their view while you're looking at them with it locked, yours moves too)
Add "switch tiles" and "switch text" keys within browser menu (like where cycle zoom and set nickname is displayed), with a 5 second preview that switches back if you don't confirm the one you choose (just in case the tileset you chose is unreadable), so you don't have to reload the whole page when you want to change sets.
Mobile support - AKA, on an android, you can access a keyboard. It loads just fine, I just can't control anything.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 03:44:02 pm by flabort »
The Cyan Menace

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 13