Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]

Author Topic: Co-op Dwarfmode (online simultaneous multiplayer)  (Read 114219 times)

white-rabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Co-op Dwarfmode (online simultaneous multiplayer)
« Reply #180 on: November 23, 2020, 04:16:54 pm »

Can this be ran with a lazy newb pack like PeridexisErrant's Starter Pack? If so, how would I go about installing it?

It may be possible, but I can't personally recommend it. You should use a vanilla (plain) download for dwarf fortress and dfhack and dfplex with the correct versions, as described above.

The main reason I don't recommend it is that there is no support for running dfplex alongside other hacks. It may be possible, but many are unlikely to work correctly or at all. Furthermore, graphics sets will not appear by default, there is limited support for graphics in dfplex currently, and you can read about that in the main post.

pope34

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 01, 2021, 05:43:23 am »

Yo, I reworked the script to not have dependencies. I tested it a couple times with friends they had success, also it seems to be a little more stable with the textures cut out. Maybe it is just rng though.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zaP4Uu6sopx3N7ZgkPK8UghHBDT269X9/view?usp=sharing

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 23, 2021, 02:10:33 pm »

Hey folks,

Looks like this person's solved some problems with your project and is now using it to rent DF servers!

I bet you're excited to adapt their new code to the core project! I can't find their announcement thread here, so I thought I'd mention it in this thread.

https://multidorf.com/
Team Bug Fix!

kwaz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 23, 2021, 02:54:17 pm »

^ OP of the above reddit post here. I'll make a separate thread (edit: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=178441.0), but I suppose this is a good enough spot to address some questions.

I don't know that I've "solved" any of the problems with DFPlex in a way that helps anyone that isn't willing to set up multiple levels of infrastructure in front of their DFPlex server :). For example, I added password protection by shimming all connections through a websocket edge service that performs validation of a single-use authorization token in order to gate access to the DFPlex server, which is itself running in a VPC that is not accessible to the public internet. This also solves the problem of exposing the underlying filesystem -- I've disabled the http server on the DFPlex instances and just use a single static webserver for https://play.multidorf.com/demo. Definitely want to contribute my UI changes to https://github.com/Ankoku/df-webfort upstream (the ones that allow changing the tileset/textset via a dropdown instead of url params) although those are obviously quite basic.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 03:00:22 pm by kwaz »

white-rabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 27, 2021, 04:20:56 pm »

^ OP of the above reddit post here. I'll make a separate thread (edit: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=178441.0), but I suppose this is a good enough spot to address some questions.

I don't know that I've "solved" any of the problems with DFPlex in a way that helps anyone that isn't willing to set up multiple levels of infrastructure in front of their DFPlex server :). For example, I added password protection by shimming all connections through a websocket edge service that performs validation of a single-use authorization token in order to gate access to the DFPlex server, which is itself running in a VPC that is not accessible to the public internet. This also solves the problem of exposing the underlying filesystem -- I've disabled the http server on the DFPlex instances and just use a single static webserver for https://play.multidorf.com/demo. Definitely want to contribute my UI changes to https://github.com/Ankoku/df-webfort upstream (the ones that allow changing the tileset/textset via a dropdown instead of url params) although those are obviously quite basic.

Dang, that's some nice work you're doing there. I'm glad to see the project is getting some love. Let me know if you need any help/advice/etc.

hedgerow

• Bay Watcher
  • You're Thunderclappin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 06, 2021, 02:26:11 pm »

Back when DFTerm was still a thing, my friends and I used to struggle watering farm plots underground.  I'm glad that you had the gumption to popularize a multiplayer component with Dwarf Fortress.  That's extraordinary.

I had better hopes for other players in the application but I have to admit, I'd triumvirate a fort with someone if they asked.

stupac

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 20, 2021, 10:51:24 am »

Thanks for DFPlex! I set up my own server with AWS EC2, works great! I hacked together a quick theme selector drop-down menu that seems to work well. Though, I can't get DFPlex to save my nick or name buildings (even after rebinding the default from ctrl+n to shift+n or something else). Anyways, super cool, now I just need friends to play with, lol. Hard to get your gaming buddies into a game with such a steep learning curve like DF. If anyone wants to start a fort-building crew, lemme know.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 09:32:35 pm by stupac »

leastannoyingman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: December 05, 2022, 06:26:49 am »

is anyone planning on adapting this for Premium/Steam, I wonder? Integrating Steam's connectivity would especially be a huge draw.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 06:30:35 am by leastannoyingman »

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: December 05, 2022, 08:02:24 am »

Integrating Steam's connectivity would especially be a huge draw.

Is that even possible through hacking?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Glueable

• Bay Watcher
  • Panickew
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: December 15, 2022, 01:35:07 am »

Is that even possible through hacking?

Very likely, If we've been able to deconstruct and hack regular DF, we can do it to the premium.
I'm sure DFHack's community is already on it.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: December 15, 2022, 04:20:09 am »

Very likely, If we've been able to deconstruct and hack regular DF, we can do it to the premium.
I'm sure DFHack's community is already on it.

I meant hacking in Steam connectivity features. Current multiplayer uses its own terminal connection separate from the game. I assume Steam's API has a degree of hacking protection that would prevent access to stuff the developer hasn't enabled.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2022, 04:25:10 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Endarire

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 21, 2022, 02:58:21 pm »

I would love to be able to use this hack or another in adventure mode on Steam when that releases, regardless of whether we use Steam's formal multiplayer connectivity.

Also, with Steam multiplayer services available, why haven't the DF devs asked permission to integrate this multiplayer mod into a near-term release?

Thankee!

lethosor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 21, 2022, 06:40:14 pm »

I would love to be able to use this hack or another in adventure mode on Steam when that releases, regardless of whether we use Steam's formal multiplayer connectivity.
There's a chance someone will work on this for v50, but it's worth noting that the number of rendering changes likely means that this plugin won't work out-of-the-box with DFHack v50 without significant changes.

Also, with Steam multiplayer services available, why haven't the DF devs asked permission to integrate this multiplayer mod into a near-term release?
It's not just a matter of asking for permission - the main technical obstacles are that this plugin was developed against DFHack, which is a completely separate codebase from DF, and integrating any DFHack-based features into DF without a complete rewrite is very difficult.
DFHack - Dwarf Manipulator (Lua) - DF Wiki talk

There was a typo in the siegers' campfire code. When the fires went out, so did the game.

nate.219

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 30, 2023, 07:18:41 pm »

Hate to necro an old thread but figured the last posts were discussing the possibility of this being updated to the steam release and I was wondering if any progress has been made to this?
Looking at the mods on the workshop I get the impression that the mod support does not allow for overly deep changes/additions which is a shame although I see that there is DFhack on steam for a few months so its possible that work here is already under way  :o

I absolutely loved this mod, I could finally help a bunch of friends get into the game so much more than just trying to talk them through each of the steps lol
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13]